Start by marking “Programming Elixir 1.2” as Want to Read:
Programming Elixir 1.2

Programming Elixir 1.2

You want to explore functional programming, but are put off by the academic feel (tell me about monads just one more time). You know you need concurrent applications, but also know these are almost impossible to get right. Meet Elixir, a functional, concurrent language built on the rock-solid Erlang VM. Elixir’s pragmatic syntax and built-in support for metaprogramming wil ...more
Kindle Edition, B1.1, 340 pages
Published 2016 by The Pragmatic Programmers, LLC. (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Elixir 1.2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Elixir 1.2

Start your review of Programming Elixir 1.2
Sebastian Gebski
I've fully re-read new version (>=1.6) to compare it with the original release (1.2 or 1.3 if I'm not wrong). The impression is 95% positive:
* book is polished, well-structured & perfectly edited
* it's 100% enough to start an adventure with Elixir programming
* some of new elements (since 1.3) were properly covered (e.g. formatter), but there are also some other very interesting elements (like GenStage & flow) that haven't been even mentioned - yes, I know that GenServer is huge & it's not possib
Michael
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming, elixir
Disclaimer: The good folks at The Pragmatic Bookshelf were nice enough to provide me with a free copy of this book, but this has no influence on the contents of the review.

My first contact with Dave Thomas was the famous “Pickaxe book” for Ruby. It wasn’t my first contact with the language, but it certainly helped in deepening my understanding of it. It’s a great book, and I went back numerous times to re-read certain chapters. I already had a crush on Ruby, but “the Pickaxe” helped turning that
Jeremy Carman
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
It was a good book. I had previously ready Learn functional programming with Elixir last month. I expected this to be very similar, and just reinforce what I had just learned, but I was pleasantly surprised. One thing I liked about the book was the author was often pointing out the functional way to think about or do things. I also liked that he would occasionally point out convention, and then say I prefer method X.

The book is broken into three major sections. The first section was language bas
Bo Jeanes
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've been really excited about Elixir for a few months and wanting to dig in. Late last year, I went through the Getting Started guide and managed to get through the whole thing in about a day.

Then I did nothing with Elixir until picking up this book.

I really wanted to like it but really, I found that it was just a wordier version of the Getting Started guide. It took longer to get through but taught very little above what was in the guide. Furthermore, the author's writing style and humour came
Sebastian Gebski
The best tech book I've read in months.

Perfect balance between what's told & what's needed to comfortably start coding in Elixir. It shines especially in language-dedicated sections, OTP part feels a bit too short, but as it can be really overwhelming (based on my own experience when I was learning Erlang some time ago), I don't find it a big trouble.

All key topics (distribution, supervision, actor model itself) have enough of author's love, with an exception of error handling maybe. And I don't
Fabian Linzberger
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very nice introduction to the language. while it targets programmers who do not know erlang already, and I already do, I still enjoyed the macro and protocol chapters a lot. also covers some basic functional programming well with practical examples.

recommended for anyone looking to learn Elixir!
Justin Smith
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun easy read. Doesn't dive to deep, but gives you what you need to understand the language.
Daniel Paulino
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a introduction about how powerful is Elixir, this is a great choice. Dave Thomas starts with some basics principles of the language and Functional Progamming then shows how the some core principles of the OTP works, as the final part he shows some advanced principles like Macros and Protocols, but If you're looking for a more advanced book this is probably not the best one.

The nice thing about the book is that all chapters comes with a some exercises to reinforce what you l
Michael Dubakov
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite OK book. It was the first FP book I read fully, so first part was useful. I imagine it will be too basic for developers with FP experience. Unfortunately, second part did not dig deep into systems design based on processes. You have a glimpse of processes, supervisors, tasks and agents, but there is no foundation you can understand how to create at least medium apps. I think this book is good for beginners only.
Bruno
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elixir takes pattern matching to the next level. GenServers and Supervisors is something very clever that I haven’t seen in any other language as a primitive concept. Dave has his own magical way to teach tough subjects and I have to say that Elixir really caught my attention. This is the best book you can get to learn the the basic concepts and have a glimpse of the advanced features Elixir provides.
Stoica-Marcu Floris Andrei
Comparing to the “Programming Erlang” book by Joe Armstrong I found this book lacking in many regards. I often found myself wondering why some parts of the book are so shallow. All-in-all, if I were a beginner to functional programming and was learning from this book I would certainly learn allot, just not have much in-depth knowledge on how things work behind the scenes.
Theagilecoder
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my first step coming into Functional programming from years of writing object oriented code. Dave handles the nuances of Elixir as well as Functional programming masterfully. The book does not delved deeply into OTP which I think is a correct decision for an introductory Elixir book. This book is best complemented with Exercism-Elicir track if you want the most out of it.
Michael Caveney
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best book currently available on learning the Elixir language, Dave Thomas continues the high-quality you've come to expect from him after books like The Pragmatic Programmer. I'd recommend pairing this with his Elixir For Programmers course for the full effect! ...more
Berendea
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is well structured and covers everything of what's needed to start using the language. It also has some very nice examples. Unfortunately, the discussions forum for the book has been disabled.
Anthony
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Great introduction to Elixir. Would highly recommend for anybody interested in the language.
Anurag Peshne
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for experienced developers to get started with Elixir.
Sotolf Flasskjegg
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun, I still have quite a bit to learn, but it was well written, and I would need to practice a bit to get to understand stuff completely.
Gerry
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great language and clear writing.
Valery Lukin
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Great and easy to read book. After getting familiar with Elixir basics this book is a gem to find. Gives nice introduction to ITP and some more in depth of language itself.
Romenig Lima
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has useful examples for how to code in different ways with elixir!
Rafael Gonzaga
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that the examples can be more realistic
Dave Shah
Decent. I got a bit bored and toggled between this and the Phoenix book to really feel like I was learning
Islam Taha
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good introduction to elixir but without some dense material, but it can put you on the right direction.
Вестимир
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are toying with Elixir – just read this book. A lot of useful info for beginners, some advices for converts and a ton of fun.

Bonus: Dave Thomas is one of the greatest tech evangelists, you just can't ignore his enthusiasm.
Jacek Królikowski
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Very chaotic, with debatable topic order, some explanations posing more questions than they provided answers. Some of this could be possibly blamed on the characteristics of the language. The author states in the foreword "I want to inspire you to get involved, and the point to the online resources that will fill in the gaps.", but I think this has been taken a step too far. Frequently there's just a handful of examples for a given construct with a wordy commentary, without a more in-depth expla ...more
Piotr Kalinowski
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computers
Good overview of various basic concepts related to Elixir to get you started and wet your appetite for more. It's actually exactly the kind of thing I feel like I need when starting with the new language, as this is how I seem to learn them best: start with an overview to get a general understanding of the “landscape,” and then work with the language filling in any details into that mental scaffolding.

Good read, even if I had a quibble with the way the concept of accumulators was introduced, for
Willian Molinari
It's not the best Elixir book I read but it's a good book.

I started with Programming Phoenix for a more practical learning. This book feels like the other "Programming language book". You will find how to split a string, or how you can deal with regex. In case you're looking for the methods for many types, it will be for you.

For me, it's not the best book to start, but it's a good one to improve your skills and "programming language vocabulary".
Milton
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gives you a fantastic overview of all the great features that Elixir offers as a programming language.

The first part of the book covers some concepts about functional programming, then you'll see some basic language constructs, which are normally used every day like basic operators, anonymous functions, pattern matching, binaries, char lists, keywords, maps, modules, enumerables, and so on... also talks about some code conventions, at the end of this part the author shows how to organi
Mark
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great way for someone who already knows how to program to learn more about Elixir and the Erlang VM. Imagine building a ruby-esque, functional wrapper around the Erlang VM, with great Macro meta-programming capabilities and you have Elixir.

My mind was blown almost completely today when Dave Thomas overloaded the "do" block and created an aspect-oriented solution to the function profiling problem. This book was also my introduction to OTP, the Erlang's Actor model semantics including G
Sananab
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
There's been a lot of hype about Elixir and its web framework Phoenix on various programmer-related forums over the last few years. I made a personal project in Phoenix while reading this book, and I have to say that whole experience was a major disappointment from start to finish. For that and other reasons, I don't go to those sites anymore.

Elixir is a bog-standard functional language whose main advantage over Erlang is that some aspects will be a bit more familiar to people coming from certai

• Programming Phoenix: Productive |> Reliable |> Fast
  • Elixir in Action
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Functional Web Development with Elixir, Otp, and Phoenix: Rethink the Modern Web App
  • Programming Ecto
  • Effective Java
  • Learn Functional Programming with Elixir: New Foundations for a New World
  • Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...
“a way, processes in Elixir are like objects in an object-oriented system (but they have a better sense of humor).” 0 likes