Start by marking “The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)” as Want to Read:
The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)

The Moth & the Flame

(The Wrath and the Dawn #0.25)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  8,042 ratings  ·  1,100 reviews
It started as playful, if barbed, banter before rising to a fateful wager with a most notorious rake—the Captain of the Guard, Jalal al-Khoury—who may have finally met his match in a lovely, if haughty, handmaiden, Despina. But she, too, seems to have met her match in the handsome Jalal. What begins as a tempestuous battle of will and wit in short order becomes a passionat ...more
Published March 22nd 2016 by G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Moth & the Flame, please sign up.
Amna Here is my recommended reading order:

1) the wrath and the dawn
2) the rose and the dagger
3) the moth and the flame
4) the crown and the arrow
5) the mirr…more
Here is my recommended reading order:

1) the wrath and the dawn
2) the rose and the dagger
3) the moth and the flame
4) the crown and the arrow
5) the mirror and the maze

I read it like this and enjoyed it a lot!(less)
Amna Copy paste the link below and download to read for free. You will have to make an account to read as a pdf

Lady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Winner's Kiss by Marie RutkoskiMarked in Flesh by Anne BishopFire Touched by Patricia BriggsMidnight Marked by Chloe Neill
March 2016 Releases
47 books — 86 voters
YA Novels of 2016
1,138 books — 9,713 voters

More lists with this book...

·  8,042 ratings  ·  1,100 reviews

Start your review of The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)
Nat
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
description
This review contains *spoilers* for The Wrath & the Dawn.

And Renée Ahdieh does it again, she managed to make me laugh, tear up, and swoon in just under 6 chapters. Her books are seriously impossible to put down.
I was reading little snippets here and there while working, which honestly wasn’t my brightest idea because I kept thinking of when I could just sit down and read this beautifully written short story. And long story long, it was definitely worth the wait.
Renée gave me exactly what I wante
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Another beautifully written short story from Renee Ahdieh this time about Despina and Jalal, two characters I admire from The Wrath and the Dawn and this story made me adore them both even more. I’m afraid all these love stories are turning me into permanent mush and before that ever happens, I vow that the next book I’ll read after this week will be something really hardcore, really tough with lots of deaths and blood.

P.S. Happy early birthday to my friend, Fatima! Her birthday is on
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
Despina and Jalal are so adorable! I loved them so much in The Wrath and the Dawn and this novella made me fall in love with these two even more. These novellas will actually be the death of me because just like The Crown and the Arrow, this one wasn't even close to being long enough. But all the same, I'm relieved that it wasn't only 9 pages like the other.

I'm glad we finally got to see how Despina and Jalal came to be. Ever since we find out about Despina's baby, I was ever so curious as to ho
Kassidy
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved seeing more of Jalal and Despina!!
Mohammed Arabey
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Moth & the Flame

The Maid & El Basha,the high captain of guards..
Despina & Jalal..

That kind of attraction turns into Love that burns..
An elegant,fun,very short prequel love story between 2 beloved characters from the world of The Wrath & the Dawn
I liked the smart wet and fun Despina so much, I already liked her at the first book anyway, and was glad to read how she liked Jalal.

That added some depth into their story..

In other hand It also shows in a side story the First wife for Khaled..Ava. t
Norah Una Sumner

Although these two are my ultimate OTP when it comes to this series/trilogy (or whatever), this short story was a bit underwhelming. Yes, their banter is awesome and they are too wickedly cute to handle but...something was missing. I was expecting a bit more from the plot and that ending. I am looking forward to reading the actual sequel though! Can't wait!

Before reading: OMFG I NEED THIS

Maryam Rz.
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, young-adult
4.4 STARS! hilarious and charming.
“Anything is possible,” Despina finished softly. “So long as there is a strong will behind it.”
I'm all feels for this! It was a worthy addition, I loved the taste of it :)

I suggest reading this short book after The Wrath & the Dawn, as it contains mild spoilers and also because you'd enjoy it more if you already know the characters.
It wouldn't be a huge spoiler if you read this first, but spoilers all the same :)

Storyline

A hilarious and enjoyable novella
emma
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

ok Jalal and Despina are cute AF, how does a short story manage to leave me with so many feelings???

I'm sure a lot of you saw my Flame in the Mist rant yesterday and today I was lowkey having a crisis and wondering if I imagined how good The Wrath and the Dawn series was so I came across this and decided to see what happened. Spoiler alert: I loved it. The writing was gorgeous—as is everything Renee writes—and somehow this made me love Despina even more than I already did. I genuinely
enqi ༄ؘ 。˚ ⋆♡
I was enraptured by this short story, as I've always been when it comes to everything THE WRATH AND THE DAWN-related. I bought it on Kindle for just $1.99, and fifteen minutes later I'd finished reading it. At that point I probably looked something like this:

description

The Moth & the Flame is a brief but no less delightful tale of Jalal, Captain of the Guard, and Despina, the Queen's handmaiden. It is set before Shahrzad became Khalid's bride, months before he was cursed, when Ava was still the Calipha o
TJ
May 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
I know now why I waited so long to read this because...

Andreea Pop
Despina and Jalal are adorably perfect for each other. This novella only reinstated my love for Renee Ahdieh's masterful storytelling. Loved it! ...more
Radmila
4,75 STARS!!!

"You claim to know everything about women", she began. "But tell me, Captain al-Khoury, do you know my name?"

This was one short read. I loved Despina and Jalal. They made me laugh so hard.

The captain of the guard sauntered closer, a palm resting on the bejeweled hilt of his scimitar. His grin bordered on obscene. Too knowing. Too assured. Too arrogant.
"You must be hungry", Despina said.
He stopped mid-step. "Pardon?"
"You said I was the loveliest sight you'd seen all day." Despina
kate
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
And with that, my love for Jalal and Despina has grown even stronger!

When I heard Renee Ahdieh was releasing a short story from the perspective of Despina and Jalal, I was SO excited and I'm happy to say, this did not disappoint. It was gorgeously written and gave such a lovely insight into their individual characters and how they met. It's made me even more excited/nervous to see what happens to them in The Rose and the Dagger! I have so much love for these two characters.

I need more Despina a
P
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Despina's story

Cute but powerful to know this side of the girl I have had an eye for.
And about Ava, she has a good soul. I pity her so much.

Chesca (thecrownedpages)
GIVE ME MORE OF JALAL AND DESPINA!

The Moth & the Flame tells the story of how Despina first met Jalal when she was given the honorable task of becoming the calipha’s handmaiden. The short tale started at the time of Khalid’s first marriage, with Ava, and ended when Shahrzad arrived at the palace.

I finished this novella with a terrible and excruciating feeling. It is not enough for me like most novellas out there. I want more of Jalal and Despina. I think this was just a little chunk of their
Stacee
Love love loved getting inside Despina's head. The banter between her and Jalal is perfection. I could read about these characters forever and be so happy. ...more
Jillian
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg this was great! I love despina and jalal so so much they neeeeeeed their own book. I could read about them for 300+ pages!!
Fafa's Book Corner
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

When I had heard about this short story I was excited. I liked Despina and Jalah when I read The Wrath and the Dawn. I wanted to know when they first started interacting with each other. I am happy to say that I enjoyed this story!

The book begins in Despina's point of view. She was just been promoted to Handmaiden. She's to be Ava's handmaiden. Despina has noticed that Ava doesn't speak a lot. More often than not she's day dreaming. She
✨ A ✨
I really loved this short story because it focused on two of my favourite characters, Jalal and Despina, and how the two of them met. Both of them are quick with words and smart and their interactions gave me such joy.

What this story also revealed was the setting of the palace at the time of Khalid's first wife, Ava, and the mystery of her death. I say mystery because this story is in Despina's POV and she doesn't know exactly what happened.

I'm still unsure of Jalal's feelings for Despina but
Sarah DiMento
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this short story! Despina and Jalal are everything. I'm obsessed with Renee Ahdieh's writing.

But can I just have the second book already? These little teaser stories are agonizing!
prag ♻
Have I ever mentioned before I'm a sucker for love-hate love stories and emotional nights? Have I ever mentioned before I am utterly in love with Despina?

I don't know what to do with myself anymore. I need more. I need to read TRaTD again. I need Jalal. I need Despina. I need more.
Imogene Dacanay
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-reviewed
Despina is a beautiful and charming guardian of the garments. One who's full of pride, gives herself importance, one who's intelligent. Then there's Jalal , the son of General Aref al-Khoury, the Shahrban of Rey. Jalal found his match. I love how witty and humorous they are. It's just that I failed to see how Despina fell for Jalal. It was said that she isn't like most girls but what happened? The notorious rake's now a father to her unborn child.

This book is a quick-read. Since this is
Rachel Maniacup

This short story gives a little history of how Despina and Jalal met and fell in love, before we got to know them on The Wrath & the Dawn.We also got a little bit of Ava's story,the cousin and bestfriend of Shazi,(as far as I can remember)and the last Calipha of Khalid before Shazi volunteered to be the new Calipha of Khorasan.

I enjoyed reading this,'cause it's so sweet and it focused on Despina,and on how kindhearted she is as a queen's handmaiden,and on how amazing she is as a woman.Reading th
Nina
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"You claim to know everything about women," she began. "But tell me, Captain al-Khoury, do you know my name?"
Jalal was at a loss. Her perfume had cloaked his senses. Clouded his judgment.
He hadn't been expecting such a question.
An easy one. A silly one.
One Jalal could not romance his way through.

This novella was incredibly cute. I love this otp and their sweet banter. Despina is a handmaiden but she speaks to the captain of the guard like she's his equal, and on the level of souls, they are
 mols
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etc-books
Despina and Jalal are adorable!
Alafiya
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
JALAL.

description

Even his name is beautiful.

Wow, this was oiwahuahfeuefgougf so beautiful!! But too short. Renee's writing is flawless. The characters, the everything about this series, FLAW-FREAKIN'-LESS!
Fatima  Havilliard
"The flash of light draw him towards her, like a moth to a flame."

Final Rating: 5 colorful stars.

The Moth & the Flame is one of the three short stories who complement the duology of The Wrath and The Dawn, a retelling of The Arabian Nights. This one, in specific, tells us the love story of Jalal and Despina, who I must admit, are my second and third favorite characters of this duology. So you probably already guessed that this is my favorite story of all the three.

But tbh this wasn't eno
Neil (or bleed)
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: novellas
Despina and Jalal forevs
⊱ Poppy ⊰
Jalal was at a loss. Her perfume had cloaked his senses. Clouded his judgment.
He hadn't been expecting such a question.
An easy one. A silly one.
One Jalal could not romance his way through."

The Moth & the Flame is from the POV of Jalal & Despina. and MY GOSH i loved them. I loved them both dearly from The Wrath & the Dawn . Jalal is such a flirt but Loyal to his bones. Despina
Giulia
It seems like 2016 is the year of short stories for me! But what can I do if my favorite authors keep writing them?
I could be rather eloquent (maybe) and lengthy (knowing me, that's a given), but this time I want to keep it short. But gosh, I absolutely loved this short story, so here we go.

1) How is it that whatever romantic pairing Ahdieh writes about, I immediately start shipping them like crazy? What are you doing to me, you plague of a girl? (What are you saying? I should stop quoting The

• A RomaJuliette Christmas Special (These Violent Delights, #0.5)
  • Riden's Chapter (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1.5)
  • The Wrath & the Dawn Graphic Novel
  • We Free the Stars (Sands of Arawiya, #2)
  • The Descent of the Drowned (The Descent of the Drowned, #1)
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me, #5.5)
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Ruin (The Fate of Crowns, #0.5)
  • Shadow Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)
  • Gilded Ashes
  • Believe Me (Shatter Me, #6.5)
  • The Demon in the Wood (Grishaverse, #0.1)
  • Fracture Me (Shatter Me, #2.5)
  • Morrighan (The Remnant Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Clara and the Devil
  • The Maid (The Selection, #3.3)
  • The Tailor (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1.5)
See top shelves…
THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **

The Wrath and the Dawn (2 books)
  • The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
  • The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn, #2)