Start by marking “The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)” as Want to Read:
The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)

The Moth & the Flame

(The Wrath and the Dawn 0.25)

It started as playful, if barbed, banter before rising to a fateful wager with a most notorious rake—the Captain of the Guard, Jalal al-Khoury—who may have finally met his match in a lovely, if haughty, handmaiden, Despina. But she, too, seems to have met her match in the handsome Jalal. What begins as a tempestuous battle of will and wit in short order becomes a passionat ...more
Published March 22nd 2016 by G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Moth & the Flame, please sign up.
Sofia Nunes The Moth and The Flame is actually a story about two side characters, not the main story, and it takes place before the first book. However, I…moreThe Moth and The Flame is actually a story about two side characters, not the main story, and it takes place before the first book. However, I recommend you to read the 1st book before, because it was released earlier, followed by the short stories and then the 2nd book. So:
1. The Wrath and The Dawn (1.0)
2. The Mirror and The Maze (1.5) - Khalid's POV: ending of 1.0
3. The Moth and The Flame (0.25) - Despina's story
4. The Crown and The Arrow (0.5) - Khalid's POV: beginning of 1.0
5. The Rose and The Dagger (2.0)
This is how I've read them, because you understand the hidden meanings of the whole story better this way, but you can also go in chronological order:
1. The Moth and The Flame (0.25) - Despina's story
2. The Crown and The Arrow (0.5) - Khalid's POV: beginning of 1.0
3. The Wrath and The Dawn (1.0)
4. The Mirror and The Maze (1.5) - Khalid's POV: ending of 1.0
5. The Rose and The Dagger (2.0)
Hope it helps you!
(less)
Lady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Winner's Kiss by Marie RutkoskiMarked in Flesh by Anne BishopFire Touched by Patricia BriggsMidnight Marked by Chloe Neill
March 2016 Releases
70 books — 89 voters
YA Novels of 2016
1,295 books — 9,647 voters

More lists with this book...

Nat
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
description
This review contains *spoilers* for The Wrath & the Dawn.

And Renée Ahdieh does it again, she managed to make me laugh, tear up, and swoon in just under 6 chapters. Her books are seriously impossible to put down.
I was reading little snippets here and there while working, which honestly wasn’t my brightest idea because I kept thinking of when I could just sit down and read this beautifully written short story. And long story long, it was definitely worth the wait.
Renée gave me exactly what I w
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Fafa's Book Corner

Another beautifully written short story from Renee Ahdieh this time about Despina and Jalal, two characters I admire from The Wrath and the Dawn and this story made me adore them both even more. I’m afraid all these love stories are turning me into permanent mush and before that ever happens, I vow that the next book I’ll read after this week will be something really hardcore, really tough with lots of deaths and blood.

P.S. Happy early birthday to my friend, Fatima! Her birthday is on
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Despina and Jalal are so adorable! I loved them so much in The Wrath and the Dawn and this novella made me fall in love with these two even more. These novellas will actually be the death of me because just like The Crown and the Arrow, this one wasn't even close to being long enough. But all the same, I'm relieved that it wasn't only 9 pages like the other.

I'm glad we finally got to see how Despina and Jalal came to be. Ever since we find out about Despina's baby, I was ever so curious as to ho
Kassidy
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved seeing more of Jalal and Despina!!
Mohammed Arabey
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Moth & the Flame

The Maid & El Basha,the high captain of guards..
Despina & Jalal..

That kind of attraction turns into Love that burns..
An elegant,fun,very short prequel love story between 2 beloved characters from the world of The Wrath & the Dawn
I liked the smart wet and fun Despina so much, I already liked her at the first book anyway, and was glad to read how she liked Jalal.

That added some depth into their story..

In other hand It also shows in a side story the First wife fo
Norah Una Sumner

Although these two are my ultimate OTP when it comes to this series/trilogy (or whatever), this short story was a bit underwhelming. Yes, their banter is awesome and they are too wickedly cute to handle but...something was missing. I was expecting a bit more from the plot and that ending. I am looking forward to reading the actual sequel though! Can't wait!

Before reading: OMFG I NEED THIS

Emma
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

ok Jalal and Despina are cute AF, how does a short story manage to leave me with so many feelings???

I'm sure a lot of you saw my Flame in the Mist rant yesterday and today I was lowkey having a crisis and wondering if I imagined how good The Wrath and the Dawn series was so I came across this and decided to see what happened. Spoiler alert: I loved it. The writing was gorgeous—as is everything Renee writes—and somehow this made me love Despina even more than I already did. I genuinely
Maggie
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
“Captain al-Khoury! Are you—”
“Softly,” he whispered.
Exasperation flared through her, bringing a flush to her cheeks. “What?”
“You’re shouting in my ears.” He held back a grin. “Softly, my sweet.”

I only liked Jalal in the beginning of The Wrath & the Dawn and Despina towards the middle, when she became friends with Shazi. I mean, learning about Despina's baby and how she got pregnant made sense. I remember Shazi asked her if she was pregnant because she threw up, didn't look well, and wouldn
P
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Despina's story

Cute but powerful to know this side of the girl I have had an eye for.
And about Ava, she has a good soul. I pity her so much.

✘Tabby✘
May 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-book, kindle
I know now why I waited so long to read this because...

Andreea Pop
Despina and Jalal are adorably perfect for each other. This novella only reinstated my love for Renee Ahdieh's masterful storytelling. Loved it!
Radmila
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Natalie
4,75 STARS!!!

"You claim to know everything about women", she began. "But tell me, Captain al-Khoury, do you know my name?"

This was one short read. I loved Despina and Jalal. They made me laugh so hard.

The captain of the guard sauntered closer, a palm resting on the bejeweled hilt of his scimitar. His grin bordered on obscene. Too knowing. Too assured. Too arrogant.
"You must be hungry", Despina said.
He stopped mid-step. "Pardon?"
"You said I was the loveliest sight you'd seen all day." Despina a
Kate (GirlReading)
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
And with that, my love for Jalal and Despina has grown even stronger!

When I heard Renee Ahdieh was releasing a short story from the perspective of Despina and Jalal, I was SO excited and I'm happy to say, this did not disappoint. It was gorgeously written and gave such a lovely insight into their individual characters and how they met. It's made me even more excited/nervous to see what happens to them in The Rose and the Dagger! I have so much love for these two characters.

I need more Despina a
Chesca
GIVE ME MORE OF JALAL AND DESPINA!

The Moth & the Flame tells the story of how Despina first met Jalal when she was given the honorable task of becoming the calipha’s handmaiden. The short tale started at the time of Khalid’s first marriage, with Ava, and ended when Shahrzad arrived at the palace.

I finished this novella with a terrible and excruciating feeling. It is not enough for me like most novellas out there. I want more of Jalal and Despina. I think this was just a little chunk of the
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg this was great! I love despina and jalal so so much they neeeeeeed their own book. I could read about them for 300+ pages!!
Fafa's Book Corner
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

When I had heard about this short story I was excited. I liked Despina and Jalah when I read The Wrath and the Dawn. I wanted to know when they first started interacting with each other. I am happy to say that I enjoyed this story!

The book begins in Despina's point of view. She was just been promoted to Handmaiden. She's to be Ava's handmaiden. Despina has noticed that Ava doesn't speak a lot. More often than not she's day dreaming. She
Stacee
Love love loved getting inside Despina's head. The banter between her and Jalal is perfection. I could read about these characters forever and be so happy.
Anniebananie
Leider ein sehr kurzes Lesevergnügen, hätte mir für das Geld noch ein paar mehr Seiten gewünscht irgendwie 😐 den Blickwinkel und den Zeitpunkt der Geschichte fand ich nämlich wirklich gut!
Vanessa
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
“Now it was his turn to laugh. The sound enveloped her, taking root in her stomach, its warmth curling beneath her skin. He’s trouble. Stay away.”

Since the first moment I knew about this novella, I was aware that I would adored it. And so it happened! Not a surprise, though, since The Moth and the Flame was centered about two wonderful secondary characters that we already see (maybe not enough, would say my shipper heart) in The Wrath and the Dawn: Despina, the calipha's handmaiden, and Jalal al
Rachel Maniacup
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: Alafiya

This short story gives a little history of how Despina and Jalal met and fell in love, before we got to know them on The Wrath & the Dawn.We also got a little bit of Ava's story,the cousin and bestfriend of Shazi,(as far as I can remember)and the last Calipha of Khalid before Shazi volunteered to be the new Calipha of Khorasan.

I enjoyed reading this,'cause it's so sweet and it focused on Despina,and on how kindhearted she is as a queen's handmaiden,and on how amazing she is as a woman.Readin
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
I loved this short story! Despina and Jalal are everything. I'm obsessed with Renee Ahdieh's writing.

But can I just have the second book already? These little teaser stories are agonizing!
Imogene Dacanay
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-reviewed
Despina is a beautiful and charming guardian of the garments. One who's full of pride, gives herself importance, one who's intelligent. Then there's Jalal , the son of General Aref al-Khoury, the Shahrban of Rey. Jalal found his match. I love how witty and humorous they are. It's just that I failed to see how Despina fell for Jalal. It was said that she isn't like most girls but what happened? The notorious rake's now a father to her unborn child.

This book is a quick-read. Since this is
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
"You claim to know everything about women," she began. "But tell me, Captain al-Khoury, do you know my name?"
Jalal was at a loss. Her perfume had cloaked his senses. Clouded his judgment.
He hadn't been expecting such a question.
An easy one. A silly one.
One Jalal could not romance his way through.

This novella was incredibly cute. I love this otp and their sweet banter. Despina is a handmaiden but she speaks to the captain of the guard like she's his equal, and on the level of souls, they are.
prag ♻
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to prag ♻ by: may ❀
Have I ever mentioned before I'm a sucker for love-hate love stories and emotional nights? Have I ever mentioned before I am utterly in love with Despina?

I don't know what to do with myself anymore. I need more. I need to read TRaTD again. I need Jalal. I need Despina. I need more.
⚡ molly ⚡
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etc-books
Despina and Jalal are adorable!
⊱ Poppy ⊰
Jalal was at a loss. Her perfume had cloaked his senses. Clouded his judgment.
He hadn't been expecting such a question.
An easy one. A silly one.
One Jalal could not romance his way through."

The Moth & the Flame is from the POV of Jalal & Despina. and MY GOSH i loved them. I loved them both dearly from The Wrath & the Dawn . Jalal is such a flirt but Loyal to his bones. Des
Fatima  Havilliard
"The flash of light draw him towards her, like a moth to a flame."

Final Rating: 5 colorful stars.

The Moth & the Flame is one of the three short stories who complement the duology of The Wrath and The Dawn, a retelling of The Arabian Nights. This one, in specific, tells us the love story of Jalal and Despina, who I must admit, are my second and third favorite characters of this duology. So you probably already guessed that this is my favorite story of all the three.

But tbh this wasn't e
Alafiya
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
JALAL.

description

Even his name is beautiful.

Wow, this was oiwahuahfeuefgougf so beautiful!! But too short. Renee's writing is flawless. The characters, the everything about this series, FLAW-FREAKIN'-LESS!
Lola
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story, novella

‘‘Despina,’’ she whispered. ‘‘My name is Despina.’’

Jalal is such a flirt. He and Despina have the funniest and wittiest interactions. They are good together. It’s unfortunate we didn’t get to see anything more than a single vigorous kiss from the keen lovers. I want more of them.
Neil (or bleed)
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, novellas
Despina and Jalal forevs
  • The Black Knife (The Orphan Queen, #0.4)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Iron to Iron (Wolf By Wolf, #1.5)
  • Voice of Gods (Blood of Gods and Royals, #0.5)
  • The Demon in the Wood (Grisha Verse, #0.1)
  • Icicles Like Kindling (Snow Like Ashes, #0.1)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Morrighan (The Remnant Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Gilded Ashes
  • Entangled (Guardian Academy #2)
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Leave the Window Open (The Archived, #2.5)
  • Poison Dance (Midnight Thief, #0.5)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • This Night So Dark (Starbound, #1.5)
  • Right of First Refusal (Radleigh University, #2)
  • Harmonic (Dissonance, #1.5)
THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **

The Wrath and the Dawn (2 books)
  • The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
  • The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn, #2)
“I'd much rather fall to my death than admit my weakness to you."
"The captain of the Royal Guard wants to impress a lowly handmaiden?"
"A clumsy young man wants to impress a beautiful young woman.”
7 likes
“Those many quiet moments reminiscing on days long past. On memories ever present. “May” 6 likes