Start by marking “The Crown & the Arrow (The Wrath and the Dawn, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Crown & the Arrow (The Wrath and the Dawn, #0.5)

The Crown & the Arrow

(The Wrath and the Dawn #0.5)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  7,189 ratings  ·  1,245 reviews
Seventy-one days and seventy-one nights had come and gone since Khalid began killing his brides. This dawn, Khalid would mark the loss of the seventy-second girl, Shahrzad al-Khayzuran. Khalid didnt know how many more of these dawns he could take. And there was something about this latest girl that piqued his interest. Not only had she volunteered to marry him, but at ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Crown & the Arrow, please sign up.
Tracy This is literally a 9 page preface basically to the first book, The Wrath and the Dawn. It's told from Khalid ' s perspective and is when he first…moreThis is literally a 9 page preface basically to the first book, The Wrath and the Dawn. It's told from Khalid ' s perspective and is when he first meets Shazi when she volunteers to be his next wife.... It's worth reading but it's super short. (less)
Jacki ♡ Check out Amazon. It's free and you'll be able to access it on Kindle.

·  7,189 ratings  ·  1,245 reviews

Start your review of The Crown & the Arrow (The Wrath and the Dawn, #0.5)
Nat
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories

description

Me trying to write a review after reading this beautiful story.
Im in love with this world and the characters within it. I cant even think coherently after finishing The Crown and the Arrow Im freaking out, it was so damn good. I had to stop everything I was doing just to finish it. I'm seeing in stars and hearts right now.

description

In this short prequel, we read about the first meeting between Shazi and
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Lola

I agree with almost everybody who says this isn't necessary but it's just too pretty, it still managed to give me the goosies. Oh, Khalid!

In truth, I'm just using this as a venue to greet the ONE and ONLY LOLA REVIEWER a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Enjoy your special day and stuff yourself with all the cakes and books you could manage. Lol. <3 <3 <3
Norah Una Sumner

Shahrzad is da boss even from Khalid's POV.

description

Definitely a cute short story. Now I'm even more excited for The Moth and the Flame. And it's free on Kindle.
Kassidy
*3.5*
Beautiful writing and an exciting look into Khalid's mind. I just wish it was longer!
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
WHAT IN THE WORLD...?

Why is this so short? Just when I started to become fully immersed into the story, it ended just like that!

I loved reading the story through Khalid's POV and I honestly wouldn't mind a whole book dedicated to his POV alone. Actually, the full, detailed story of how the curse came to be written in Khalid's POV would be such a treat!

This novella didn't do a thing to satisfy my withdrawals! It was a tease. And now my withdrawals are even more intensified. However, I do look
Aya Hamza
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it

It's a short prequel to The Wrath and the Dawn, Way Toooo Short!! which didn't add much to it.

No girl in her right mind would volunteer to die.

It talks about the first time Khalid met shahrzad. She was so brave. Her head, high. Proud.
Mary S. R.
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, young-adult
5 STARS! I'd needed this.
I'm emotional. A short revealing novella to be read after The Wrath and the Dawn.

Storyline & Storytelling

The Crown & the Arrow follows Khalid Ibn al-Rashid, the King of Kings, as he first meets Shahrzad the night they wed. A chapter of The Wrath and the Dawn from his POV.
Her hate was a thing of glory.
She was not afraid.
Why isnt she afraid?
I'd been wondering at
Simona Bartolotta
I knew I wasn't going to like this.

(V.O.): Why did you read it, then?

I have a slight fever, my eyes are stinging like crazy and this novella is ridiculously short, I had already downloaded it and I had basically nothing better to do at the moment. I apologise to the fans.

(V.O.): But you liked First Impressions, and that one was even shorter and just as useless.

Marguerite and Paul are cute. Shahrzad and Khalid give me the effin' creeps. Most screwed up relationship ever.

Sorry not sorry.
Fatima  Havilliard

This is too short... D':

Excluding the really short length I enjoy really much this short story. It was interesting to be inside of Khalid's head. Also this reminded me how much I love The Wrath and the Dawn.

I can't say other thing more than May come fast please!!
------------------------------------------------
Wait... I just saw this and I'm sure the rating will be 5 stars. I mean is Renee
elena
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
❝Do not fear what the setting sun may bring. Where there is a setting sun, there is also a rising one.❞

I think it was actually great learning before Khalid and before he met Shazi. He actually didn't want this. He literally didn't want to be a boy king monster who kills bride after bride. It was refreshing learning about his past and how everything was taken. It was refreshing learning just a little tiny bit about Khalid and how it all went. He literally saw Shazi and saw her fierce, the
Jillian
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
i just remembered i preordered this. i just love khalid. if you LOVED the wrath and the dawn this is worth the read plus it's only 9 pages.
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
That's it?

I mean, I don't know what I expected from such a short story but this was just so utterly unnecessary. I didn't dislike it, it's free on Amazon and will take you all of 5 minutes to read so no harm done, but I'm still not sure if I would recommend this. There's nothing here that we didn't know already from The Wrath and the Dawn.

The story takes place just before Khalid meets Shahrzad but told from Khalid's POV. That's pretty much it. Hopefully The Moth and the Flame will add more to
Radmila
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 +++ STARS

When I saw this book today, I couldn't believe my eyes.

This is a short story about first meeting between Khalid and Shazi on their wedding day. One of the reason why I enjoy this story is because it was written in Khalid's POV. I can't wait to read more from this author.

He would learn the truth.
Tonight he would flout his own rules. Meet the girl alone.
Ask her a single question.
He
Emily May
Two stars means "it was ok" and that's exactly what this was. It's just a very short prequel to The Wrath and the Dawn where Khalid first meets Shahrzad and can tell she hates him with a burning passion. I know it's just supposed to be a glimpse into his first impression of her, but I couldn't help thinking "is that it?"

It just didn't really add anything.
P
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Khalid's story

Nothing important. Just another little extension of this beautiful story.

Elizabeth Sagan
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a prequel to The Wrath and The Dawn series, which is a retelling of the well-known A Thousand and One Nights. Beautifully written, it made me curious to read the rest of the series. Theres another pre-prequel, The Moth and The Flame, I will go to that first. ...more
Anne
2.5/5 STARS

❓❓❓ IS THAT IT?

❗❗❗ I AM GOING TO GROW OLD SEARCHING FOR THE REST OF THE BOOK.

❎❎❎❎❎ ANNE'S CHECK LIST OF DISAPPOINTMENT

Shelves: novellas, 2016-reads
Eh?
Vanessa J.
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh. Honestly, this wasn't necessary. It didn't add anything new to the story, and besides, it was too short. The writing was still as beautiful as the one in The Wrath and the Dawn, but now instead of Shazi's POV, we have Khalid just before meeting her. I expected Khalid's first thoughts about Shazi would be more interesting, but this story only states the obvious. That doesn't mean it was bad, because it wasn't - I just felt its existence was pointless. Hopefully The Moth and the Flame will be ...more
Stacee
THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT ENOUGH.

However, it was quite interesting to get a brief glimpse into Khalid's head. Now I want more.
⊱ Poppy ⊰

Khalid took to studying the rays of sun shifting through the carved screens. The way the light danced and folded itself.
"What's her name?" he finally asked his uncle.
"Shahrzad al-Khayzuran."
Khalid committed the name to memory. Another life lost. Another family shattered.
The seventy-second one.

Phew. Oh my this book did NO good with my obsession of Khalid. It even give more fire to it. My Love for Khalid is endless. & this book gave us the insight from Khalid's POV on the day of wedding. Now
Brittany (Hiatus-On/Off)
This is my short review for this short story and the quotes that stood out to me in it:

1. "Do not fear what the setting sun may bring. Where there is a setting sun, there is also a rising one." I just realized this quote can mean so many things! Do not fear tomorrow, do not fear the dark, there is always hope, and probably more!

2. "They pierced through him like arrows." Okay, so if your like me and only realized what the title meant half way through this novella, here is what it means, to me at
Giovanna
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5

More Khalid is required. This is way too short.
I repeat: MORE KHALID IS REQUIRED.

I'm not a fan of novellas and I usually avoid them because I'm bound to end up being disappointed most of the time. Of couse there are exceptions...and well, I knew I could count on Renee Ahdieh's gorgeous writing style to make The Crown and the Arrow a rare, but welcomed exception. That said, I LOVED being in Khalid's head and I would really really liked it if we got his pov in The Rose and the Dagger. *pretty
Kyla Harris
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cover-lovin, 2016
"Where there is a setting sun, there is also a rising one.

I love Khalid and so of course I loved these nine short pages of getting to be in his head. I adore Renee's writing the way she words things is beautiful.

"And he would not do her the dishonor of speculating. The dishonor of presumption."

"In Khalids experience, only two things prompted people to such drastic measures. Love. And hate."

I love how deep Khalid thinks. He is not lightly passing by this world living the moment. He is down to
Andreea Pop
Sadly, I cannot give this one 5 stars simply because it is too freaking short.

But it is beautiful. Haunting. Powerful. Sorrowful to the nth degree.

Khalid, stop playing with my heart. I'm afraid I cannot handle your perfection.
Stephanie
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was short but sweet. I finally found out why he chose to see her that night. It was nice to actually get some background information as to why he chose her.
 molly ⋆
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etc-books
loved it! it was awesome to read Khalid's thoughts and know a bit about what happened before the wrath and the dawn. although it was only 9 pages! Way to short!
Fafa's Book Corner
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

Despite the fact that I didn't enjoy The Wrath and the Dawn I wanted to read this. Now when I first read the synopsis I thought that this would be about Khalid and Shiva. I don't know why I thought this but I did. So when I saw it was free on Kindle and iBooks I went for it. When I started reading it I realized that this book is about Khalid meeting Shazi. Not Shiva. Looking back at it now it's pretty funny. But at the time I was so
✨ A ✨

Khalid Ibn al-Rashid, the Caliph of Khorasan despises himself. He is being punished for failing his first wife and everyone has to suffer if he doesn't pay the price.

There were only a few parts in the Wrath and the Dawn that were Khalid's POV. And he remained a mystery because he isn't very expressive and he keeps secrets. This short story was so heartbreaking, he believed he is a monster.
Irene△⃒⃘➰
It was a pretty interesting prequel but waaay too short!
I liked the POV a lot though 👌

• The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • The Tailor (Grishaverse, #1.5)
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me, #5.5)
  • Shadow Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Anniversary Party, part 2 (Chain of Gold Extra Content #10)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)
  • The Jinni
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Business of Love (Eros & Co. #1)
  • The Anniversary Party (Chain of Gold Extra Content #9)
THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **

The Wrath and the Dawn (2 books)
  • The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
  • The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn, #2)