Start by marking “Zoom!” as Want to Read:
Zoom!

Zoom!

Now in paperback, here's another rollicking collaboration of Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko. Young daredevil Lauretta puts her brand-new wheelchair to the ultimate test--and saves her brother!

Lauretta's mother takes her to buy a new wheelchair, but Lauretta isn't satisfied with a regular five-speed or ten-speed model. No, she insists on the 92-speed, black, silver, a
Published April 1st 2004 by Cartwheel (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Zoom!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoom!

Start your review of Zoom!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
You don't often see a humorous children's book featuring someone in a wheelchair. Love it!
Books Ring Mah Bell
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidsbooks, work
So Lauretta needs a new wheelchair, and the only one she wants is a super powerful monster-truck type chair. (who can blame her? It's awesome!)

Prepare to yell ZOOOOOOM lots of times. Loudly. Kids love that stuff.

An excellent story to introduce the concept of wheelchairs to children, as well as the idea that people are capable of great things, even if they are in a wheelchair!

This book makes up for that awful book of Munsch's - Love you forever. Way to redeem yourself, Robert!
Connie
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
So, our main character wants a new wheelchair. So they go to this WONDERFULLY awesome wheelchair store and she immediately chooses not the five speed chair, nor the seven speed chair with purple wheels, but the NINETY-THREE (or whatever) speed wheelchair.

And gets a ticket for speeding. But before her parents can take her chair away and get her a slower one, her brother pricks his finger just a little bit and she has to rush him to the hospital (all the time muttering that her family is insane, b
Ariell
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ariell by: Tammy
We just got this book from my friend Tammy. She has Cerebral Paulsey and rides around in a wheelchair. Which of course makes this story very true. She is hilarious. Very intelligent, just does things a little differently than the average person. But physical differences are no hinderance to her capabilities.
This is a great book.
Mason, Natalie & Oliver
Another great Robert Munsch book...this one was funny (as usual) and the kids loved it!
Liz
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
I like that they have a story about a person in a wheelchair. I also notice that the children in all of his books are named after someone the author knows, and I think that's a cute idea.
Nioniel
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is the funnest book I've ever read aloud to little siblings. All the capital letters make for a lot of shouting.
Edward Sojuwa
Jul 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Time was I would roam around in a wheelchair, since I did have an arthritic condition in both knees. And who knows, maybe one day, as I grow real old (yeesh!) I might use a wheelchair again. But I will always honor others who are less fortunate than I am, even if they walk upright. Certainly I see those in wheelchairs as warriors since they live day by day independently in their chairs, and because they live so well they are dumped on by others for being better than the ones hating. This book is ...more
Luda Gogolushko
This was a bit too passive for me and the mom seemed to do all of the action and leading the story forward, it would have been so much funner if the main character did all the action like, sorta n Goldilocks. Instead like on page 10: Then Lauretta’s mother said, “Well, how about this? Look at this! A nice new 15-speed wheelchair It’s fantastic. It’s purple, green, yellow. It costs lots and lots of money.” But the illustrations are the best and made the book hilarious and I liked the concept beca ...more
Jennifer Heise
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook, kids
Look! A kid in a wheelchair in which the wheelchair is just part of her ordinary life! Of course our hero wants the fastest possible chair to zoom around in. Why wouldn't she? But can her family handle the zooming, not to mention the cost? Well, when her zooming gets her brother to the hospital in a hurry (if for a very minor accident), the answer is yes.

I liked this, though I don't know how disability activists might think of it. To me, the Munsch approach humanizes wheelchair users to other ki
paige turner ♡
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Zoom! Many, many zooms in this story!

The need for speed is in Lauretta's soul, and no wheelchair seems to have the power to satisfy that need.

I think this is an amusing story; I don't think I have ever read a book that features a child in a wheelchair before.

I think Robert Munsch captured the fun in this story, the ending was hilarious and the kids had a lot of fun yelling all the zooms!
Kelly
Some books are written just so that a story can be written. This is one of those books, in my opinion.

Munsch wrote this book at the request of one of his readers. It is the story of a little girl who wants to get a new wheelchair. She wants the fastest one that money can buy.
Mandy
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my youngest son’s favorite picture book. He is a teenager now still laughs when we read it to younger children. I love the story about this spunky girl, and how her wheelchair size keeps increasing in her quest for more speed.
Briana
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a really fun story. It's a great to see a children's story where the main character is in a wheel chair. The student who I read this book with absolutely loved it, and had a lot of fun saying "ZooOOM!".
Veeda
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Id give this book more stars if I could! A great novel and so inclusive. I love it!
Allie
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good but was hoping for a little more story.
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages
Read with one of my 1s and they loved it.
Audra Gayle
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My brother Caleb picked this book out for me to read and it was a blast! If you're looking for a fun book to read to the kiddos in your life, I highly recommend this one.
Ware Kids
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very funny.
Leia Kolet toledano
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
very nice
Dustin Crazy little brown owl

I think any Robert Munsch book is a winner! You can't go wrong with Munsch! (well, ok, there are a few questionable/controversial stories he has written - I'll give you more info on those if you'd like to comment on my review). I recommend all the Munschworks collections (each volume contains 5 stories) and anything else by Robert Munsch; he is so smart, clever, witty, entertaining, funny, creative and just plain amazing! This book is particularly popular in our family because my wife uses a mot
Susan Huddleston
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educ-378-spring
Text to Self

I chose text to self because it reminds me of myself when I was young. I didn't need a wheelchair but living in the country, you needed transportation to get around. I wasn't satisfied with my bike. My older brother had a motor cycle and I wanted one. He pulled out his mini-bike for me to learn on. He was trying to give me instructions on how to change the gears and brake, you know, the important stuff. But I didn't need his help, I could figure it out on my own. I hop on and am doin
Madison
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: robert-munsch
Lauretta is a young girl who is about to get a new wheelchair- but is she satisfied with a normal 5 speed or 10 speed one? Not at all, instead Lauretta insists on the fastest, biggest one there is. At first her parents complain and wish for her to take it back, but when Lauretta is the only one who can save her brother and take him to the hospital their opinions shift.

The illustrations in this picturebook are remarkable- much like all of the other books that Michael Martchenko illustrates. They
Daniel
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
In typical Munsch fashion, this book relies on outrageous ideas, repetition, and fun sounds. However, it adds one element that makes it a little more attractive ... it adds a main character that it unusual.

The primary character, Lauretta, is physically handicapped -- she rides a wheelchair.

What is nice about the way Munsch handles this is that nothing special is made of this -- Lauretta is like any other child except she rides a wheelchair. This helps, I think, the young reader accept some of th
Audrey's Picture Books
This is one of those children's books that was written with a specific educational purpose. In this case, the educational purpose was to create a fun book starring a handicapped person, presumably to expose kids to the idea that handicapped people can be a lot of fun. Those kinds of message books rarely work well on a purely artistic level, and neither does this one. Its utterly ridiculous plot was presumably meant to be the sort of ridiculous plot that can make a children's book a lot of fun to ...more
Carol
I came to this Munsch book pretty late in life, but have to say again that appreciate the Munsch/Martchenko combination. What struck me most of the demonic/excited/crazed face of the little speed-driven kid who has to have the fastest wheelchair out there. The text's play with the words "ZOOOOOOOOOOOM" to demonstrate the increasing speeds demanded by Lauretta are in a nice, bit font that tempts readers to elongate the sound oooo and even count "o's". I loved the illustration of the police car ra ...more
Mary
This is a great story about a little girl who gets a new wheelchair. She only wants one that is super fast, so she tries one out. She gets a speeding ticket and gets in trouble, but her brother ends up getting hurt and her parents’ car won’t start. So, her wheelchair saves the day! But, at the end of the story, she decides that even that wheelchair is too slow, and she finds an even faster one.
The story is a little bit dated, but it’s entertaining. It’s a little bit of a longer book, and good fo
Jessica Freeman
Lauretta is a young girl who goes to get a brand new wheelchair- the only thing is she does not just want any chair, she wants the fastest one there is. Throughout this picturebook we follow Lauretta and her adventure with the chair and how it works out for her and her family. Munsch takes on a difficult subject for children by providing children in wheelchairs with a mirror, or children who are around or know people in wheelchairs with a window. I think it is really important to bring this up w ...more
Josiah
May 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
This is a somewhat humorous tale of a wheelchair-bound girl who is obsessed with speed, and who very much desires a wheelchair that will reflect this NASCAR complex. The idea of a 92-speed wheelchair is certainly unique, and how often can one say that a story about a girl in a wheelchair is comical?
Diana
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
A funny story about a girl who wants a new wheelchair. Of course like any child she wants one with speed so she picks the fastest one. The wheelchair is the most expensive but her parents decide to let her try it out. After a day full of events including getting a $100 speeding ticket she decides she no longer wants it... because she thinks it's too slow. My 4 year old loved this book.

• My Three Best Friends and Me, Zulay
  • The Way I Heard It
  • Six Dots: A Story of Young Louis Braille
  • Babies Don't Eat Pizza: A Big Kids' Book About Baby Brothers and Baby Sisters
  • A Conspiracy of Bones (Temperance Brennan, #19)
  • What Makes a Hero
  • La Communauté Des Magiciens (Grand Vampire, #5)
  • My Cross to Bear
  • Sulwe
  • Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space and the Subsequent Assault of the Equally Evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds (Captain Underpants, #3)
  • First Day Jitters
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • Las aventuras de los Mellizos Treetop: Los mellizos ayudan a un Hadrosaurio
  • The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq
  • The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare (The Princess in Black #6)
  • Revenge
  • Quai Des Brumes (Grand Vampire, #4)
  • Fox Song
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil