Start by marking “Stephanie's Ponytail” as Want to Read:
Stephanie's Ponytail

Stephanie's Ponytail

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  3,064 Ratings  ·  265 Reviews
None of the kids in her class wear a ponytail, so Stephanie decides she must have one. The loud, unanimous comment from her classmates is: “Ugly, ugly, very ugly.” Steadfast, when all the girls have copied her ponytail, she resolves to try a new style. With true Munsch flair, each of Stephanie’s ponytails is more outrageous than the last, while the cast of copycats grows a ...more
Published May 1st 1996 by Annick Press

Shaina
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A lesson about pulling ppl's ponytails that will stick with you. This was a gift to my nephew, Scott, from my husband and I. It's one of his mom's nostalgic childhood authors.
There is an adorable aspect to that, reading the ones that were read to you, to your child. So- of course I wanted to support that.
Ronyell
Stephanie

Revised Review (for Reread):

Now, I have actually read “Stephanie’s Ponytail” many years ago when I was a child and I had actually reviewed this book the first time around. But, now I wanted to reread this book to see if my feelings about this book has changed. It turns out, I felt the exact same way I did years ago (in other words, it STILL was an AWESOME book to read), but I wanted to change up my review to be in tuned with my recent book reviews!

One day, Stephanie decided to have a ponytail
Latanya (CraftyScribbles)
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, society
Copycats. Copycats. Copycats.

Robert Munsch explores individualism and imitation in this tale for children and adults alike. When Stephanie decides to flip her ponytail at daily whims, she faces fellow students cringing and deeming her looks "ugly". Yet, each morning, she returns to find them imitating her previous hairstyle.

Flattery, or it's only cool when they wear her looks?

This story's rather deep with humor and an hilarious ending all ages can appreciate.
Courtney
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed reading "Stephanie's Ponytail" for this little girl, the main character in this children's book, had a mind of her own and was not afraid to let it be known. She did not fear being different from everyone else around her, she wanted to be her own person. This story was great for teaching children to be their own person, I would highly recommend this story to parents for their children.
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
Very clever, cute and funny!
Lisa Vegan
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nonconformists and conformists, for different reasons
Recommended to Lisa by: Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book shows the perils of being a copycat, and interestingly shows how adults as well as children can be copycats and conformists. There are a couple of funny parts in this book. Stephanie proves to be very clever, but I did find her insistence of being unique as ripe for discussion as her classmates and teacher who wanted to copy her hairstyle.
Stefanie
What can I say...It made me laugh!
Alaa
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
It opens a door to discuss how people can criticize but secretly want to be different too.
Tiffany Ng
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stephanie’s Ponytail by Robert Munsch and illustrated by Michael Martchenko
Genre: Fiction
Age Group: K-2nd

The main character Stephanie is portrayed as a cute girl that just wants her wear her ponytail. Every time she goes to school everyone would call her ugly and she would respond by saying "it's my ponytail and I like it." The very next day everyone at the school would have the same hairstyle
including the teachers and boys. Every time everyone copies her she would get mad and go home to change
Kim
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
listened 2 this on youtube it was cute
Nicole Doerr
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
As an contemporary realistic fiction book this appropriate for all ages but geared toward ages seven through thirteen years old, especially girls. From a strong woman’s voice, the issues of peer pressure is brought up. The main character, Stephanie, wants to standout with the most outrages hair styles. At first she is made fun of but them her style is soon copied by other students. This book is amazing funny. Students can really take a lot from it. The theme of this book is independence and peer ...more
Leslie
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOOOOOOOVED this book! It sends the message that it is okay to be unique and yourself! Although it does send the message that it sucks to be copied, it also sends the message that sometimes the weird things are the things that people will want and you can be popular because of it. Another twist on this that I loved was that Stephanie didn't want to be popular, she did it because it made HER happy, which is the most important thing! The only part that I didn't like about this book was that the ...more
Dolly
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun and silly book that emphasizes individuality and being secure with your own choices, your own tastes. Our girls really enjoyed this book and laughed often at the absurdity of everyone copying Stephanie's hairstyle. The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish.

Our girls liked watching the story on the Tumblebooks website (http://tumblebooks.com), which is available for free as one of the online resources from our local library.

Robert N. Munsch is a talented storyteller and he's ve
SarahBeth
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much fun as a read aloud with a group of kids.
Lesley Looper
Okay, this book is pretty darn cute! I love Stephanie's independence, and how her parents don't do much to discourage her from her wacky ponytails. The only thing, she makes her teacher and classmates look pretty stupid. Who knows, maybe they needed the lesson!
Luann
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ha! This was a lot of fun. Stephanie's classmates and even her teacher really are a "bunch of brainless copycats." I loved the ending. Read this to anyone who is easily swayed by peer pressure!
Kate
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Thanks, Beth for lending your head of hair and doing this one with me.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is my favorite story about copycats! I gave it to my niece Stephanie when she was little. I love Munsch's sense of humor!
Kristy Rasmussen
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this author,he really has some really funny kids stories, it reminds me of the stories my Grandpa use to tell me as a child.
stephanie
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Classic book!
Mariam
تزبط مع شعبنا
Hannah Sumers
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
a. Summary: Stephanie wants to stand out at school, so she has her mom fashion her hair in a simple ponytail. But, when she gets to school, everyone tells her it's ugly and she should change; however, Stephanie doesn't care and wears her hair in a ponytail to school the next day. To her surprise, everyone in school has copied her hairstyle! This leads Stephanie to change her hair everyday attempting to dodge the copycats, leading the school to make some interesting hair choices.

b. Theme: The th
Jenna McDonagh
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-study
Book Summary: This book is about setting your own example and standing up for yourself. No one in Stephanie's class had a pony tail. One day Stephanie decides she wants one standing right out the back. When she arrives at school she is made fun of by all the boys and all the girls. All her classmates copy her hair trends as a joke. Stephanie begins choosing questionable hairstyles, until she eventually fools them once and for all.

Book Review: This book was absolutely one of my favorite stories
Alexus Miller
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Stephanie’s Ponytail by Robert Munsch tells a story about a young girl Stephanie who gets made fun of for her different hairstyles but she wants to be different. Everyday after she is made fun of , the other kids come back the next day with her same hairstyle! This frustrates Stephanie and she keeps changing her hairstyle in hopes that she can be different with no copycats. I enjoyed this book because I felt that it taught an important lesson on being yourself and embracing the unique features o
Halie Crook
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie decides one day that she is going to wear a ponyatil to school. When she gets there, the students tell her that he ponytail is ugly and Stephanie responds by telling them that its her hair and she likes it. The next day, she finds that some people have copied her hair. Stephanie changes her hair to be more and more ridiculous as the book goes on and the people copying her continue to grow. Will Stephanie's classmates ever stop copying her? How will Stephanie possibly resolve this issue ...more
Amanda
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Genre- Fiction
Awards Won- None
Illustrations- This book had some comical illustrations. In the pictures you got to see all of the wacky hairdo's and the picture at the end really helps the climax of the book funny and silly.
Summary- Stephanie wants her hair to be in a ponytail, but all the kids at school make fun of it and call it ugly. Each day she comes to school with a new hairdo, but the kids copy the hairdo she had the day before that they called ugly. Stephanie decided to get creative, but
Enis Norman
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"It's MY ponytail and I LIKE it." This is a phrase heard throughout the book that solidified it's place as an amazing book about marching to your own beat. Stephanie is proud of her ponytail and wears it courage; even after her peers continue to poke fun at her. This book praises the idea of individuality and presents it in a rather comedic way. Children that read this book are open to the idea of being who you want to be and sticking to it.

It doesn't matter how the outside world perceives you.
Carly
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching-reading

“Stephanie’s Ponytail” by Robert Munsch, published by Annick Press; copyright 1996

1. Awards: Grand Canyon Reader Award for Picture Book (1999)
2. Appropriate grade level: K-2nd grade
3. Summary: When Stephanie tries out her new styles of ponytail, all the kids of school laugh at her! Ironically, all the kids copy her style the next due. Finally, Stephanie tells the others that she will shave her head, and ironically the other students shave their head the next day!
4. Review: I think this book p
Brooke Thomas
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: robert-munsch
This is a book with a great lesson weaved throughout it! In the story, Stephanie is known as a trendsetter. Stephanie decided that she wanted to go to school in a ponytail because none of her classmates wore ponytails. The next day she came to school and all of the girls in her school also wore ponytails. Stephanie continued to change the way she wore her ponytails because her classmates continued to copy the way she wore her hair. After Stephanie had had enough, she claimed she would come to sc ...more
Anne Lutomia
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting book about individual decision making, individuality and peer pressure. The author uses Stephanie's ponytail style to make about about parents allowing their children to be individuals with their own choices, tastes and personality. The author always indicates that what is allowed at home can be shamed in public. An interesting twist is how others dislike or shame Stephanie but copy and imitate her actions and eventually words. The illustrations in the book capture Stephanie and vari ...more
Questions for students 1 1 Feb 15, 2018 12:45PM
  • The Rainbabies
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Weslandia
  • الفيلسوف الصغير : الحياة.. ماهي؟
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch