Start by marking “More Pies!” as Want to Read:
More Pies!

More Pies!

Best-selling author and illustrator Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko team up once again to present this super silly story about a hungry little kid and a big pie-eating contest!

One day little Samuel wakes up with a big appetite. After eating cereal, milkshakes, pancakes, and a fried chicken, he's still hungry--so he enters a pie-eating contest in the park. His competit
Published October 1st 2003 by Cartwheel (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about More Pies!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Pies!

Ken Williams
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Munsch and Martchenko at their best. This is one of my favourite Robert Munsch books. Made even more enjoyable by Michael Martchenko’s illustrations. Martchenko is such a great story teller in his own right. The way he weaves his own stories into the background without impacting the central story makes re-reads ever more enjoyable. I love the family bird in the background of this story. And as with all Martchenko books, my son and I play ‘spot the pterodactyl.’
Christie Tulloch
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
More Pies was another fun story written by Robert Munsch. A young boy loves pie and can't get enough! Every pie is a favourite of his. Another memorable book by a great author.
paige turner
A cute little story about a little boy who is just so hungry there doesn't seem to be enough food in the whole world.

His little brother suggests he goes to the pie eating contest, so he does, he wins, and then he gets tired of eating pies!

The book never does say if he's full though. I had a bunch of laughs; this one was a hilarious read.
Shahriary's Class
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
It was funny, but some of us didn't like it because it wasn't very realistic. You would die if you ate that much.
Leslie Nunez
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
This is one of my favourite Robert Munsch books. This story so entertaining and funny, it is about a kid named Samuel who wakes up and is starving, and no matter how much food his mother makes for him, he’s still hungry. This was a fun read with very entertaining illustrations. The text is so simple to understand and funny it can grab your attention right away.
The story is about how samuel wanted food and more food, for breakfast he ate and ate his mom was cooking and cooking but he was still hu
Keani Meier
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 307, children-books
More Pies By Robert Munsch
Samuel woke up very hungry. He wanted food and more food, for breakfast he ate and ate his mom was cooking and cooking but he was still hungry, by then she kicked Samuel out of the house. So he went to the pie eating contest at the park. He sat next to some hungry adults at the pie eating contest. At first they did not let Samuel apart of the contest but he complained that he was so hungry so the let him join. He gobbled down the first pie, then three more pie, in the l
Slayermel
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of young children and Preschool Teachers
I found this story so entertaining! Samuel wakes up and is starving, and no matter how much food his mother makes for him, he’s still hungry. After his mother has prepared him several dishes of food, and Samuel who is still not satisfied asks for seven fried chickens, his mom cuts him off and tells him to go play. Samuel just can’t seem to ignore the hunger in his belly and ends up finding himself up against three very large men in a pie eating contest.
This was a fun read with very entertaining
Connie
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a typical Munsch book - weird setting, over-the-top pictures and reactions, cool sound effects, repetition in threes, and lots of funny.

It's really like an intro to tall tales, this book - we've got a kid who eats seven fried chickens and pancakes for breakfast, and who wins a pie-eating contest against a lumberjack, a truck driver, and a construction worker (who turn various colors and fall under the table) and, naturally, pie for lunch. Gotta love it :P
Cierra Henderson
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a really funny story about a boy who is so hungry! After he eats an insane amount for breakfast, he goes to a pie eating contest at the fair and beats these three adult men. He then comes home to find out his mom has made him a pie and he falls over sick. The illustrations are funny and tell the story without the words. I think kids will laugh at this and really enjoy the easiness of the story.
Richelle
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
not one of my favourites.. i loved the illustrations as always!! I noticed the transport truck with "Toronto" on it-
Neat! and I enjoyed the part where Samuel is waiting for the bus and there's a baby with a a lollipop with a huge bite taken out of it, Sam has his mouth closed and the Dog is trying to rat him out by pointing at him! LOL
Sarah Jost
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
More Pies by Robert Munsch is a silly book about a boy that just can't seem to get enough food to fill him up so he enters a pie eating contest. The book is funny and has bright colorful pictures. There is not a lot of depth, but I think it would be good for younger kids to read. They will like the idea of the book and get a kick out of all the food the boy is eating.
jacky
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I didn't enjoy this one all that much, but when my student read this aloud to me, she seemed to get a kick out of its silliness. I didn't like the illustrations. The story didn't have enough depth for my tastes, but not all stories need depth.
Shannon
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Half the fun of this book, which was really silly and funny, is being able to listen to my (almost) 7-year-old read it out loud to me. She laughed in all the funny parts, and understood the underlying message.
Kate
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Not my favourite Munsch but cute and good for a general storytime for kids 4 and up.
Schimmel
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maria-jose
maria jose-robert munsch is one of my favorite authors and if you read his books I think you will enjoy them alot like me!
Jennybug
Robert Munsch always writes the best books for children. They love to read them
again and again. Sometimes more than you want to reread them.
Megan Marvel
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-children, contest
I'm pretty sure this kid has Prader-Willi Syndrome. =/
Mark
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting.

The read date is approximate.
Bridgette Elston
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun, silly, and entertaining. My 4 year old and I both loved this book.

Anyone else catch the illustration of the bus was the authors name as the bus company?
Ashanti
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I like it when the workers faces turneda coler and fell under the table
Nicki
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Super cute! Patterns in the book that kids will love!
Amy Allred
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
Such a cute childrens book. This is my 3 year-old's new favorite book.
Chak
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid
RIdiculous, as are most Robert Munsch books, but my son LOVES these so much, and this was no exception. Kid outshines adults at pie-eating contest.
Meagen
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: more-pies
Good
Lesley Looper
This story earns almost "tall tale" status, it seems, with the over-the-top pie eating by the little boy. Pretty amusing.
Michelle Bailey
Mar 06, 2012
  • Stella, Star of the Sea
  • The Daddy Book
  • Franklin's Valentines
  • Pete the Cat and the Lost Tooth (My First I Can Read)
  • Goldie and the Three Bears
  • My Grandma's a Ninja
  • Dinosailors
  • Bob and Otto
  • Pigsty
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil