Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Legends of River Song” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Legends of River Song

Doctor Who: The Legends of River Song

(Doctor Who NSA Anthologies #5)

‘Hello, sweetie!’

Melody Pond, Melody Malone, River Song…She has had many names. Whoever she really is, this archaeologist and time traveller has had more adventures (and got into more trouble) than most people in the universe.

And she’s written a lot of it down. Well, when you’re married to a Time Lord (or possibly not), you have to keep track of what you did and when. Espe
Published June 2nd 2016 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Start your review of Doctor Who: The Legends of River Song
Ken
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like these anthology collections, it gives readers a chance to explore a recurring character’s backstory.

This book has five short stories focusing on River Song, with regular writers for the Doctor Who novels each getting her fun quirkiness perfectly.
I also liked that The Doctor featured in a couple!

It’s a pretty strong set of stories, my favourite being Suspicious Minds.
Charly
Aside from the Doctor, River Song is my favourite Dr. Who character. I absolutely love her! She's a strong, independant, witty, clever, beautiful, curly-haired, champagne-loving sweetie pie with an incredible life story. The Legends of River Song is a collection of entries from her famous TARDIS journal (gifted by the Dr). When I first heard about this book I was incredibly excited, and I definitely wasn't disappointed!

The book contains 5 short-stories, all as fun and wacky as each other! Each o
Brooklyn Tayla
I really enjoyed these five short stories. They're just so fabulous and trippy, and the authors wrote River totally canon :) ...more
Jim C
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating is 3.5 stars.

This is a book based on the television show. This is a collection of five stories that follow the character River Song. We are told these stories thru her entries into a diary and these adventures are solo adventures or adventures with The Doctor.

This book does what it is meant to do. It is pure fun and it entertains. I thought this was one of the better collections of short stories from this universe. If you are a fan of the character River this collection is meant fo
Annie
Anka Räubertochter
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Happiness in book form ♡

Some stories were better than others of course but it's a must read for River Song fans.
Idris Grey
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hella-excited
I just got the hardcover in the mail today. I can't wait to read it. I loved The Diary of River Song series one (the Big Finish Audio production) and am eagerly awaiting series two; this will have to tide me over in the meantime.

It did the job. It really did. I'd read some complaints about the book and so was leery of being disappointed, but I wasn't really. We got into River's head. She's snarky and talented with an ego that just won't quit and a brain to match. I dig that.

My only complaint is
Alison Cook
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I think I may have a slight obsession with doctor who...

*shoves tardis mug in cupboard*
*hides signed posters that I spent like $200 on*

nah.... i'm just imagining it.
Izzy Rose
Jun 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Doctor Who: The Legends of River Song is a collection of various short(ish) stories about the popular character:

Picnic at Asgard:⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Cute! River's main theme for this story was a bit random though. Good other than that.
Suspicious Minds:⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Loved it! Creepy bug lover lady vs. Elvis Presley the Auton!
Gamble With time: ⭐️⭐️⭐️.5
Not my favorite, but interesting.
Death In New Venice:⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.5
Wow! Loved this one! A gated community for the rich is being built. One so illustrious that it will
Liawèn
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tomer
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This may be a bit odd, but for me I half expected to have River Song as the first female main character who is a time-lord. Now that a new doctor will soon arrive as the first female, it was a good opportunity to delve into the river which IMHO served as a precursor {no spoilers}.
This is a collection of short stories about River some of earth, while other vary in time and space, sightseeing thieving and running into other temporal creatures in her unique light {\handed} heart way and humor. The
Julia
This is five short stories by five different authors about River and or the Doctor. In “Picnic at Asgard,” by Jenny T. Colgan the Doctor and River go to a planet- size Norse- style amusement park, where things do not go well, for a time, until River and the Doctor get it all straightened out. “River of Time” by Andrew Lane has an archeology professor springing River from her jail to do some hinky archeology in involving a TARDIS look- a- like.

I’m glad I read this, but I wish I read it on the Kin
Kerry
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
REREAD #1: 4 September 2018 - 7 September 2018 (7/10)

I started rereading this because it was this month's featured book on the All New Doctor Who Podcast Book Club. I've been very belated in reviewing it, but since I listened to the podcast today, I thought I really ought to get on with it. It was interesting listening, as I ended up having a totally different experience than the hosts did, and I rather suspect (making broad assumptions here) that it was a gender thing.

Their two favourite storie
Jodie
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as good as I wanted it to be. Five stories in this book but I think it would have been better if they had made it a regular novel so one story could have been more fleshed out instead. The first two stories were okayyy. The third was better and the last two were probably my favourite although the conclusions seemed rushed. They contained some of the sassy River that we know and love but not enough for my liking.
Molly
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of story's which gives us a great insight into River's adventures. Would recommend to all doctor who fans who have seen the impossible astronaut Matt Smith series. ...more
France-Andrée
Most of the stories included in this are very entertaining and this is definitely worth the read especially if you are, like me, a huge River Song fan.

I've made notes reading this (I hardly ever do this, but I knew I would have so much to say), but I will be very good hiding my spoilers because that's the first thing that really got me into River, that she is the spoiler free girl, I try to be just like her on that level though reading Doctor Who Magazine religiously, I sometime get a little mor
Natalia
Join me in my jump through time and space, will you, Sweetie?

First thing is first. If you know me, then you will know I tend to have a genuine distaste for Professor River Song. I typically find her to be terribly obnoxious. Way too "I'm badass, you and everyone in this universe and the next know it." Really freaking annoying, guys. Occasionally, she grows on me though, more so as of late, but she's still on my "not so fab character list." Same with Missy. I hated her in the beginning, but near
Sarah Brehm
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
"The biggest issue a girl has with long-term incarceration on a remote and dismal prison planet is, I've found, the effect it had on her shoes."

Oh, River Song; don't you ever change.

Hollie Jade
Sep 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Picnic at Asgard by Jenny T. Colgan: ⭐️
I didn’t enjoy this story at all, there was something different about the characters I can’t put my finger on and the story was meh. After reading this first story in the book I had to put it down for a week to convince myself to finish it.

Suspicious Minds by Jacqueline Rayner: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I really enjoyed reading this story. I was a bit iffy in the beginning but the more I read the more I enjoyed this story. The Doctor, River, and plastic Elvis teaming up in t
Tea
Nov 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
“Hello Sweetie”
I absolutely adore Doctor Who and honestly is there any Doctor Who fan that isn’t in love with the sassy yet absolutely wonderful Melody Pond aka River Song. She is everything.

So I was so excited for this book.. hoping for the Jim the Fish story “Spoilers” exciting adventures. & I was bored. I never finished the last two stories I just can’t suspicious minds was good I like the Elvis song reference. But the rest just didn’t, couldn’t hold my attention. And I’m really saddened by
Daniela F
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well this one was hard to rate. I'll be totally honest here, the 4 stars is due to my undying love for River Song and everything related to her.
The writing isn't bad at all but it's nothing remarkable either, the stories are fun but that's about it, however it has a couple sweet moments that made me smile (but to be fair even the mention of River's name can make me smile).
I'll probably read it again soon and update this a bit.
Anna Pothecary
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
well i have to admit i loved this, it was perfectly River Song, and i could read every single word in her voice which i loved and adored and it was a really good read.
Rebecca Carlsen
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Legends of River Song was a delightful romp through time and space with River - occasionally accompanied by The Doctor. I enjoyed these short stories, which were each written by a different person.
Teri-K
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I'm not a huge Dr. Who fan, but I've seen enough of newer episodes to be familiar with several of the Doctors and know who Amy/River is. I was intrigued enough by this collection of short stories by different authors to give it a try.

Picnic at Asgard - "It's a small world after all..." River and the Dr. go to an intergalactic amusement park. I thought this story was a lot of fun. I read it while driving across several states and looked forward to taking breaks so I could get out of the car and r
Amy Benson
Dan
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
Like the recent Legends of Ashildr book, this has five short stories featuring River Song. All the stories are from her perspective and are written like they appear in her diary.

Picnic at Asgard by Jenny T. Colgan: Probably the best story of the collection but it's by Colgan so that isn't really surprising. This is one of the last River Song stories that has been mentioned on screen that we haven't seen. It's a fab story featuring a Viking-based sci-fi theme park which is as good as it sounds.

S
Anamarija
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing

*The doctor’s voice* Rivah!

Ah yes River. I love River. Her name, her face, her clothes and the zero chill she has.
This book is made up of five short stories written by different authors. I have always been partial to Jenny Colgan (yasss gurl, yasss) so Picnic at Asgard is naturally my favourite. I expected the Norse gods to be honest, but a theme park run by otters is so much better. I only wish that River hadn’t had that “let’s have a baby impulse”.

My second favourite was A Gamble with Time
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy the fourth short story for several reasons, one being river sounded arrogant. Yes she may sometimes sound like it in the show but i don't see what use she would have being so in her own diary... I was a bit disappointed by the fact that we had several authors, not that i don't want people to write about this character but it made the book missing harmony somehow.

However i liked the stories. They were good stories and lots of lines were very good, very river-like. And of course, u
Michael Mills
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I like River Song a lot and here we've got five whip-smart stories dedicated to her. Each of the authors captures River's character and voice very well from the TV series, and, while going for a similar tone, each tells a very different story with its own emotional focus (Jenny T Colgan's "Picnic at Asgard" asks a question about the Doctor and River's relationship that's so obvious once asked that I can't believe the TV series never approached it). Highly recommended for fans of River and the El ...more
Dawn
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read - not a literary masterpiece but it doesn't pretend to be either.

Really hated the first story though. It wasn't badly written and the main plot was fine but it had this whole subplot about River wondering whether she should start a family with the Doctor. Urgh. So effing tedious that you can't even read a story about River Song without the issue of motherhood being raised. Worst still, River's quandry about kids focuses on what the Doctor might want and whether he'd be a good D
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Doctor Who: Star Tales
  • Doctor Who: Shada
  • Doctor Who: Eleven Doctors, Eleven Stories
  • Doctor Who: 12 Doctors, 12 Stories
Jenny T. Colgan is a pseudonym of author Jenny Colgan.

Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie Hopk

Doctor Who NSA Anthologies (6 books)
  • Doctor Who: Summer Falls
  • Doctor Who: Tales of Trenzalore: The Eleventh Doctor's Last Stand
  • Doctor Who: Time Lord Fairy Tales
  • Doctor Who: The Legends of Ashildr
  • Doctor Who: The Missy Chronicles

News & Interviews

“Quindi… come fai a sapere? ”
“ Parli del futuro? Oh, Martin, sai come vanno le cose oggi. Ci sono spoiler da tutte le parti, è impossibile evitarli. La colpa è di Internet, per questo e per aver fatto credere ai gatti di dominare il mondo”
0 likes
“I moved closer cautiously. It’s something I learned from the Doctor: always move towards danger rather than away from it – it’s the last thing they’ll expect. I used to ask him who ‘they’ were, but he’d just look at me in exasperation and say, ‘It’s a metaphorical “they”. “They” as in “the personification of whatever is causing the danger”.’
‘But why “they”?’ I’d press him. ‘Why not “he” or “she” or “it”?’
‘Because danger always comes with reinforcements,’ he’d say.”
0 likes