Start by marking “The Flying Dragon Room” as Want to Read:
The Flying Dragon Room

The Flying Dragon Room

With the help of Mrs. Jenkins' magical tools, Patrick creates an imaginary place all his own that's filled with adventure, fantastical animals, and objects.
Published October 1st 2000 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1996)

Start your review of The Flying Dragon Room
Manybooks
Jan 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of tour-like escapades, with busy and involved illustrations
Although I guess I can to a certain point understand and appreciate the presented, the featured imagination, the entire concept, personally, I am not even remotely impressed with and by The Flying Dragon Room, as I find both Audrey Woods' text and especially Mark Teague's accompanying illustrations (while they are indeed and for a fact colourful and lushly descriptive) much too over-busy, frenetic, confusingly involved and thus simply too distracting for my personal tastes (and as my GR friend Cheryl ...more
Kathryn
May 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra--thanks!
Thoroughly enjoyed this story!!! I probably would have given it four stars, except I hear my childhood self saying "I love it! I love it!" When the little boy builds his imaginary world, he creates so many of the "rooms" that children would love to visit--dinosaur rooms, friendly wild animal rooms, dessert rooms, bouncing rooms, bubble rooms, high seas adventure rooms... The best part is that he gets to bring his family and the lady who lent him the tool set (which he used to build the rooms!) a ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. Wood is a genius and I adore Teague’s illustrations. Mrs. Jenkins loans her magic tool set to Patrick, and he creates a magical world full of rooms in his backyard. Patrick shares his rooms with Mrs. Jenkins, his parents, and baby sister. Each room is an adventure. The bubble room and the Jolly Mermaid were my favorites. Mrs. Jenkins’ surprise at the end was bittersweet because it’s awesome but the readers do not get to see it. However, children can certainly keep the ...more
Rachel
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Flat and anticlimatic. I miss the brilliance of the Audrey/Don duo.
Karren
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My kids love this one. An indulgent family explores their son's rooms of his imagination after using them to keep him out of the way during a project.
(NS) Lauren
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Grade/Interest Level: 1-3

This low-fantasy tale is certain to spark the imaginations of young readers. Mrs. Jenkins is the mysterious old woman whom Patrick's parents have hired to paint their house. Patrick feels left out of the painting job, but soon discovers some magical abilities of his own when Mrs. Jenkins lets him borrow her special tool box. Readers get to explore an imaginary world with Patrick, full of personified animals, time slips, and adventures. The illustrations are w
Dolly
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a highly imaginative and fantastic story that takes the reader on a journey through rooms that a little boy creates. The different rooms are all so wildly different and strange, but fun, too. And we loved watching his little baby sister Sarah as she joins the group on their exploration of the various rooms. The illustrations are terrific and complement the story very nicely. We really enjoyed reading this story together.

This story was selected as one of the books for the January 2012 -
Brightdreamer
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Being a dracophile and lover of imagination, the title and concept (a boy building impossible rooms with a special toolkit) grabbed me. Unfortunately, the cover description is misleading: young Patrick doesn't "accidentally" create anything with the handywoman's tools, and seems to know exactly what he's doing, as he fixes the only problem moments after seeing it. The many rooms he builds are wild and strange, yet somehow they lacked punch. And, despite the title and the cover, do not read this ...more
Jenny
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book for making predictions and would be a great book to lead to children creating their own magical rooms (as an art or writing project.) I love the ending. My kids and I all loved seeing what rooms he'd created and sharing what rooms we would create. Great story and great illustrations!
M.J.
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The concept is intriguing and I love the idea of magic toolboxes and invisible buttons opening doors to secret places. The problem is… there is no problem. I do, however, love the circular ending that lets the reader’s imagination explore what happens next and extend the story beyond the story.
Erin
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
we kept waiting to see the flying dragon room and it was never there. My kids didn't care for it too much.
Jennifer Strong
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, children-s, 2016
While Mrs. Jenkins is helping mom and dad paint the house, Patrick is building something amazing inside. When the work is done he takes them for a tour through the special rooms- the Small Creature Garden, the Bubble Room, the Food Room, the Jumping Room and more! Mrs. Jenkins promises to take the family for a tour of her fantastic rooms -including her Flying Dragon Room-the next day.

I love Patrick's imagination! The story makes all these incredible rooms seem real, but perhaps it's
The Campbell Family
All of the kids enjoyed this immensely. Super imaginative, and well illustrated! A fun book! The title doesn't hit until the very end, so it leaves you guessing the whole time!
Kathryn
I want to visit this place so bad.
Brian
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun artwork (find Baby Sarah!).
David
The Flying Dragon Room by Audrey Wood, illustrated by Mark Teague is a boy's adventure powered by imagination with the help of magical tools.

Patrick, a bored boy is given magical tools by Mrs. Jenkins to make something special, which he does. After a week he shows his family and Mrs. Jenkins a cavern with a Subterranean room, small creature garden, Bubble room, Food room, Jumping room, Jolly Mermaid room, and Friendly Wild Animal room. A tour of Mrs. Jenkin's Flying Dragon Room is promised, but
Nicole
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Flying Dragon Room is a story that unleashes the imagination of a young boy, named Patrick, as he creates his own underground world during one dull summer. With the help of the unique and unconventional character Mrs. Jenkins, an elderly Mrs. Fix-It who has come to help paint Patrick’s house, the young boy learns how he can create his own fun with an old tool box and some ingenuity. Audrey Wood and Mark Teague’s collaboration is a feast for the eyes and the imagination. The illustrations are ...more
Julia Jasztal
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(Mommy's review from 3/11)

Julia and I both thoroughly enjoyed reading this. She likes it so much she read it with her Oma and then had me read it with her again. She always has so many books around that, like me, she rarely rereads anything.
The story starts with Patrick wanting to help an older woman paint his parents house. Mrs. Jenkins hands Patrick some tools he can use and after the painting is finished he invites his parents and Mrs. Jenkins to see his "work".
R
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it
“The Flying Dragon Room” by Audrey Wood is a great read for any child that loves fantasy books. I thought the concept of the room was a neat idea because children love imaging play in the comfort of their own room. I loved that Mrs. Jenkins was the one who gave Patrick the ability to create his own world. In the dragron room there were able to explore Patrick’s imagination through different worlds just in one room.

I thought the pictures were colorful and very bright. I enjoyed the detailing of
Rachel Perry
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Age Level - Nursery to Primary

The Flying Dragon Room brings us into a world where imagination can be real. Patrick wanted to help paint the house with his parents, but they thought he would get in the way. Mrs. Jenkin's who had been hired to paint the house gave Patrick a set of special tools. After a week of working with the tools Patrick showed his family what he had created. From a Small Creature Garden to the Food Room, to steering the Jolly Mermaid on through to the Friendly Ani
Megan Moore
The Flying Dragon is another good fantasy children's book because of its creativity and great illustrations. This book has large, detailed, and colorful pictures that is really eye catching. The book has pictures that relate to children, such as bugs and bubbles, so children reading the book can relate to the images and know what they are reading. It is an easy to read kids book that allows children to be creative and use their imagination to imagine this room that the young boy in the story has ...more
Emily
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
We gave this book to Rees for his 6th birthday, and I purchased it 9 months in advance, if that says how excited I was for him to have it.

If you happen to like some of Mark Teague's other stuff, you'll eat this up, be it a bit unorthodox. Caveat: I don't appreciate some of Mark's work like the series about the dog detective named LaRue (or of some such name) but I adore his One Halloween Night, The Baby Tamer, Pigsty, Frog Medicine, and the How Do Dinosaurs...series.

Anyway, this one
Shyam Rahim
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A little boy is underfoot. He's handed a box of special tools by an old woman (gotta love that!) who is helping to paint his new house for him. She tells the little boy to do some special building while the adults are busy. He "builds" a fantastic world under the ground - filled with mini creatures, a jumping room, and more. When the painting is all done, he takes his family on an incredible tour.
Christy Brown
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it
This is another imaginative story that would be a great part of a classroom. Ir shows that you can turn any situation into something magical. The characters are also very identifiable to students, the grandmother image in the fixer upper handyperson, the parents who support the child in his quest and are a part of the story. The pictures again are very bright in images, using different colors and different spacial features.
June
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: imagination requests
Recommended to June by: picture book club - January 2012
I enjoyed the imaginative aspect of the story, but felt depth was lacking. A boy is given a box of special tools to keep him busy while the house is painted. He creates 7 rooms, which he takes his family and Mrs. Jenkins to visit. I did enjoy the ending where Mrs. Jenkins takes off on her flying dragon inviting eveyone to visit her rooms tomorrow.
Ruth
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Loved the illustrations and the imagination of the child. Kids would really get into this book and what their room would be like. I love how the parents love the child's imagination and enjoy the boy's adventures with him. Finding the baby was cute too. Definitely a book to stir up imagination in anyone.
Brooke
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Not my favorite, but they all cannot be. The book does put an imagination to good work though. It starts out with Patrick, a child pouting because his parents will not let him give them a hand. A helper hands him their special tools and he gets to work creating special places that can be opened with a special button. A good one for kids I suppose.
Eagle Heights2
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you like dragon books, I highly recommend The Flying Dragon Room/ It is right for you. It is about a boy who builds a flying dragon room. It probably will inspire you like it did me. He built bubble room. You should check it out at the public library. Azzy
Mary Train
Feb 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story...great illustrations. I couldn't help thinking about which came first...this story or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Really, it's the same concept, minus the chocolate, if that makes sense? Read it and see what you think.
Camille
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and boys want to create their own rooms so we built a magical tool box and were are going to undergo construction this week and create rooms from our imaginations onto paper and make up our own story. Great book!

• Rosie Revere, Engineer
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors
  • Water Rolls, Water Rises: El agua rueda, el agua sube
  • Fibonacci Zoo
  • Eye to Eye: How Animals See The World
  • Weird Pet Poems
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).