Start by marking “The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)

The Vanished Man

(Lincoln Rhyme #5)

It begins at a prestigious music school in New York City. A killer flees the scene of a homicide and locks himself in a classroom. Within minutes, the police have him surrounded. When a scream rings out, followed by a gunshot, they break down the door. The room is empty.

Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are brought in to help with the high-profile investigation and to ferret
Published July 1st 2004 by Pocket Books (first published March 11th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Vanished Man, please sign up.
Sandra No, you don't need to read the previous one. The previous title "The Stone Monkey" is a fantastic read as well. You won't be disappointed!

Start your review of The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
*TANYA*
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I learned so much about the circus, magic acts and magicians. I loved it. The circus happens to be a favorite of mine, minus the clowns. Lol. Great JD book!!!
Erth
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I read the first two chapters on Amazon and seemed really promising so I bought the book. Soon after author starts with lectures on forensics and how police system works which seems to be his passion or lectures on political correctness. I had to escape paragraphs and even pages to save myself from that. Also, there are lame jokes, obviously humor is not his strong point.
The author seems really capable of creating suspense when he wants to. If he only sticks to the actual story and drops the nit
Obsidian
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, tbr-2017
I can honestly say I am surprised that I loved this book. I thought the last two Rhyme books were seriously off and I didn't even know if I could continue with this one, but I did. Glad I bought it. We have Rhyme and Sachs investigating a case in which a murderer has someone escaped from what appears to be a locked room. The more they investigate, the more they find themselves embroiled in the world of magic and illusion. I got a kick out of this book since Deaver sprinkles little gems throughou ...more
Ardent Reader
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very detailed explanations about circus and performances were given throughout the story while holding its own story twists and the mystery.

Hands down for the unpredictability of the Deaver's books.
Richard
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
8/10

A return to form for Lincoln Rhyme in an exciting novel that fell away at the end but that didn't detract from the interesting premise and gripping story from the off. The last couple of novels in the series fell a bit flat but this one was back to its best with multiple plot links going on at the same time, teasing cliffhanger chapter endings and an evil villain who is killing people off in a fashion of famous magic tricks, sorry, illusions.

a true illusionist

The thing with reading a number of Jeffery Deaver
Alan Cotterell
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Roller coaster

Real roller coaster of a book. Starts off well, gets better and better until it peaks about 2/3 through. Then drops off quite dramatically, until all of a sudden it becomes brilliant again. The description and explanation of the magic and illusions is beautifully done. So many twists and plot changes, really need to concentrate. Next Lincoln Rhyme book here I come.
Jenny
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
The Vanished Man is book Five of the Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffery Deaver. Lincoln Rhyme team became part of the murder investigation into the death of three young people under strange circumstances. The readers of The Vanished Man will follow Lincoln Rhyme and his team to see how they found the killer.

I enjoy reading The Vanished Man. More I read the books in this series the more I love Jeffery Deaver's portrayal of Lincoln Rhymes and his aid Thom. I have only Jeffery Deavers does a great job
Manugw
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it
VANISHING QUALITY

The plot is long, convoluted and enthralling, however having read most of Jeffrey Deaver's work and realizing that he really entertains in all his stories as a master of the "wild twist", I can see that in this book he has abused too much of this resource, losing "the magic" that makes readers gasp.

Particularly I agree with another reader (Mr Gavin H from Sidney, Australia) below that the way "Malerick", the bad guy of this story, fakes his dead and makes his way out of tight p
Stephen Arnott
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Although complaining about twists in a Jeffery Deaver story is like complaining about murders in an Agatha Christie novel, I did feel they were overdone in this one; to the point where I stopped caring about various revelations as I began to expect they'd get overturned a few pages later (I was often right). You can get 'twist fatigue' after a while. If, at the end, Lincoln Rhyme had torn off a rubber mask to reveal he was actually Pee Wee Herman, or Meryl Streep...I would have shrugged.

The stor
K
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This was my first encounter with a Jeffery Deaver novel, and it was a bit disappointing. The Vanished Man is one of the Lincoln Rhyme series, featuring a quadriplegic forensic expert and his protégé, Amelia Sachs.

The story has great potential, as it features an expert illusionist bent on vengeance. Denver has done a fine job exploring the world of magic and illusion, and blended this with an evil criminal element. Unfortunately more than just the bad guy manages to vanish, as credulity quickly
Harry
By far, Jeffery Deaver is the one author with that uncanny ability to develop plot twists and very complex characters that leave you stunned to the end. If you've seen the movie, trust me, the books are far more ingenious and developed as compared to what we were presented with on the silver screen. The Bone Collector is a series novel starring Lincoln Rhyme, our famous forensics expert bound to his bed and mobile wheelchair.

Reading this novel I am reminded to never commit a crime. The art of fo
Camille
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite in the series so far! Deaver does it again... an intriguing and fast paced thriller with a storyline that captivates page after page.
Amanda
Oct 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Bored and looking for a quick, fun read, I turned to Vanished Man. Deaver's novels have a lot of twists and surprise endings. Yet because they are all like this the structure almost becomes predictable. I like the Lincoln Rhyme series. Rhyme reminds me of the main character on the t.v. show House. He lacks social skills and has a dry sense of humor but he really knows his field. In fact, it's his knowledge and methods of arriving at conclusions that reel me in. The killer in this storyline is ab ...more
Kathryn
This one had some twists I did not see coming. Even some, "misdirection", if you will. People I thought were involved weren't, and people I didn't think were involved, were. One of the better installments in this series.
Arun Divakar
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid thriller with some great ingredients : an unpredictable and canny criminal, a baffled set of cops, two crimes wrapped together on one single thread and also Rhyme’s razor sharp intellect at play.

This is one of Deaver’s finest in the Lincoln Rhyme series !

Recommended.
Christy
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
A music school student is murdered and the killer flees into a locked classroom with no way out. When the police break down the door, the killer has vanished. Criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and his partner Amelia Sachs are called in to investigate. It doesn’t take them long to figure out the police were duped by the killer, whom they name “the conjurer” due to his magical feats in escaping. The conjurer leads the police on a meandering investigation as he continues on his killing spree, leaving behin ...more
Corey
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deaver remains as entertaining as ever, and Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs return in this nail biting suspense/thriller!

Rhyme and Sachs are up against their deadliest adversary yet, at the moment known to them only as The Conjurer, who always seems to be one step ahead of them and always outsmarting them. The Conjurer is an illusionist, using his crime scenes and victims a recreations of some of History's most famous magicians and their magic acts. Rhyme and Sachs, with the help of a young girl
Tiger
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A magician commits murder and then vanishes into thin air inside a locked room. Soon, others are dying at the hands of this madman and Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs do what they do best......run the crime scenes for forensic evidence to collect clues to the perp's identity. But when your adversary is a world class illusionist, there is no telling where he could be or even WHO he is. And, of course, as with any Jeffery Deaver book, everything is not as it seems.
Darren
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this book at the store book exchange at the store I have coffee at. I enjoyed reading it. It had a good story to it. I hope to read more books by this author.
Brenda Feinen
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very fun read - an illusionist murders seemingly random people. Rhyme and Sachs race to find the culprit before his final act.
Anca Paraschiv
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
"We'll get through it, he had said. But life isn't about getting through. Getting through is losing."
Melanie
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really wanted to give this book five stars but the quick change had too much black/yellow/brownface with this Kara.

Otherwise, GREAT book.
Terri Lynn
How different this one was! I am a Jeffery Deaver fan and especially of the novels involving Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs though I do love the Kathryn Dance ones as well.

Usually Lincoln Rhyme is the expert who can figure out the physical evidence but in this case, he and Amelia need the help of a young woman Kara who is a budding magician who works in a magic shop because the killer- the Conjurer- is a professional magician who leaves plenty of dead bodies but no evidence and uses famous and
Alex
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So having gone on vacation again it was time for me to pick another thriller to read. Now, in rating said thriller, The Vanished Man, I realized that at Goodreads 5 stars means you found a book to be "amazing". While this book pales in comparison to my last vacation thriller, staring the super genius albino plays by his own rules detective of The Cabinet of Curiosities, obviously the most amazing book possibly ever, this one stars a quadriplegic super genius cranky forensic scientist and his ex- ...more
BookwormCleo
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot but this is going to be a brief review because I don't want to give anything away!

I like Jeffrey Deaver and have read a few of his books, so I knew what to expect with this. Although because of the topic of the book he used a lot of magic terms names of tricks and things which was good because it added to the overall feel of realism.

The only problem I have and why I didn't give it 5 stars is because there is one twist that doesn't make sense at all. Twists have to be po
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
While it was interesting to learn about the magic techniques and how they applied to forensics, the rest of the book was just plain weird. I guess that's what happens when you get into a psycho's head! I will say that this book had a LOT of twists. Almost too many. Usually a book will have one, two, maybe three. This one had about ten.
Arwen Fowler-jonsson
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I started this book not expecting to like it. I am not a big fan of magic or illusion and since most of this book is based on illusion I thought I would be bored. But Deaver delivered. Great book...full of twists. The only thing I did not like was that I could not keep myself from thinking of the actors that played the characters in The Bone Collector..
A.M.
2.5 stars. Initially intriguing - particularly the elements of magic and illusion - but ultimately it tried too hard to be clever, resulting in a contrived plot. Narrative also heavy on showing instead of telling, which got a little tedious. Without the elements of magic/illusion I would have been bored.
Kaitlyn Kenney
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best suspenseful books Deaver wrote. In all of his books so far, you never know what will be on the next page, but this one kept me on my feet even more than the others. Deaver is an author that makes you wonder where he comes up with this stuff.
Erin L
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
An engrossing trek through a magician's mind. Just when you think the story *should* be over, there's yet another trick. Another misdirection. And more story to read. It started to stretch believability for me and I really just wanted it to end about 100 pages before it did.
Has anyone read this author? 1 8 Jan 17, 2020 06:02PM
A Good Thriller: The Vanished Man 22 72 Dec 24, 2019 04:29PM
cool villan huh? 1 9 Mar 11, 2015 11:54AM

• The Diviners
  • Shallow Graves (John Pellam, #1)
  • Fated
  • Buried Alive (Carson Ryder, #7)
  • Đêm Trường Tăm Tối
  • Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #4)
  • Body Language
  • Her Last Scream (Carson Ryder, #8)
  • Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, #4)
  • The Memory Killer (Carson Ryder #11)
  • The Killing Game (Carson Ryder #9)
  • Hai-mươi-bảy
  • Crying Wolf
  • Mưu Sát
  • The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2)
  • Bloody River Blues (John Pellam, #2)
  • The Bend of the World
  • The Hunter: A Detective Takako Otomichi Mystery
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
  • The Skin Collector  (Lincoln Rhyme, #11)

Articles featuring this book

“Everything in the past is memory and everything in the future is imagination. Those're both illusions – memories are unreliable and we just speculate about the future. The only thing that's completely real is this one instant of the present – and that's constantly changing from imagination to memory. So, see? Most of our life's illusory.” 6 likes