Start by marking “Silly Sally” as Want to Read:
Silly Sally

Silly Sally

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  8,009 Ratings  ·  358 Reviews
Dance a jig with a silly pig. Play leapfrog with a silly dog. And that's just the beginning of all the fun! Come along and join Silly Sally and her outrageous friends as they parade into town in a most unusual way. "Exploding with whimsy, humor, and zest. . . . Be prepared to read this one a thousand times!"--Booklist (starred review)
Published March 15th 1992 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Silly Sally, please sign up.

Rossy
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
A bit silly but the illustrations are SO cute! Neddy Buttercup and Sally look ADORABLE, and the sheep was my favourite!
Matt
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of toddlers and pre-schoolers
Recommended to Matt by: My daughters
Shelves: childrens, humor
It isn't my favorite children's book, but this one gets extra stars for the look of joy my kids have on their faces when it's read to them. Clearly, this is humor that three year olds can appreciate. Also, as I've discovered time and time again, the best children's art has a depth to it which encourages the young viewer to be drawn into it and find hidden little details. So, even if you don't get anything from the book directly, definately recommended to all parents of 2-3 year olds for what you ...more
Yelissa torres
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ronyell
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Silly Sally” is another new installment from none other than favorite children’s book writer, Audrey Wood. This book details a silly woman’s attempts to get to town while walking backwards and upside down while meeting new and loony friends along the way. Audrey Wood’s rhyming proses and hilarious illustrations are sure to please many children over and over again.

Audrey Wood’s colorful and silly illustrations are the true highlights of this story. Silly Sally is an odd sight to see as her hair
Melissa Long
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fun book is set up in a portrait/vertical format because the images within the story tend to be long and tall. The illustrations in the book are very bright and colorful which give a happy and upbeat mood to the book. Although the text of the story is more formal, the bolder print gives it a more fun and interesting look as well as enables the reader to give their undivided attention to the images on the page. For the most part, the text is incorporated within the images,without the use of ...more
Heidi-Marie
Silly Sally is a silly book. I enjoyed reading it. Fun pictures. (I had to go back to the beginning to catch one thing that will be completely missed in storytime, but a close look in a lap-read should reveal it.) Great rhyming. The repetition should be good for the toddler age. Colorful illustrations to keep attention.

6/25/10 A good choice for a storytime that can have all ages. Short and repetitive for the younger ones, and silly for the older. A good ending book since it's short and I had ju
Becky Cook
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silly Sally went to town walking backwards upside down! Along the way she met a...

As a preschool teacher I love this book. Not only because of the rhythm and rhyme but also because the illustrations tell what comes next in the story. Predictable books are very important for young children and this book is exactly what I tell parents to read to their children. After story time expect your child to "read" the story using the illustrations to assist them in storytelling.
Tonia Holloway
This is one of the fun books that could be used and read at anytime. I love rhyming books like this because it allows the kids to join in with the repeated phrases and catch onto the simple repetitiveness of the storyline. I would put this book in a area, such as the listening center so they could work on following along with the story.
Gabriella Nahas
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that Silly Sally was great because I was sad that day. And after reading Silly Sally; it made me have the sillies all day long. After that I was happy all day and the next week. I think you should read it because it is very silly. Like in the title: Silly Sally.
Yejide
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhyming
This book is very catchy just by looking at the front page. The colorful illustration is a great way to keep the childrens attention. Children would find this book funny because of the animals mimicking everything Silly Sally does.
Sofia
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love it its so incredible and amazing it is INCREMAZING
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Silly Sally is about a girl who likes to walk backwards and upside down all the way into town.It is a good rhyming book
Kelly Van Pelt
I have always loved this book. It brings back to first grade when it was in our lit book. All the animals doing silly things with Sally are so cute.
Courtney Hoke
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 12-favorites
Simple read with fun colors and a fun story line that will engage readers. Personally, this book made me feel very happy. There was a lot of rhyming and repetition that made it easy to follow. The color scheme was very bright and happy as it was a silly story with animals and Sally doing silly things. To me this book didn't just show that it is okay to be silly, but it is okay to consider animals your friends. That animals should be treated nicely too. Above are all the reasons I gave it 5 stars ...more
Amanda
This was recommended as a level A-B-C book at our library and my 4 year old liked it. It was great ad a read aloud story and I remembered that they read it to our 3 yr old preschoolers in their first day.
DeNae
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
simple rhymes, fun illustrations, and overall fantastic. The 3 year old and I were giggling the entire time, even though I've probably read it more than 100 times.
Judy
A short silly story that's fun to read. I picked this up because it was written by Audrey Wood, who has been a popular author with the kids.
Samantha
I just love this one so much.
Shawn
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Silly Sally is a unique girl who loves doing fun and weird things--like walking to town on your hands and backwards. It is amazing who you will meet when doing this.
deborah worrall
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love it😏😏😏😏
Hope Kirk
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was really fun for young readers. I think young children would really enjoy this book because it has funny rhyming words throughout the story that don't make a lot of sense but are memorable to children. As a future teacher, I would read this book to young students for a fun rhyming lesson.
Sadia Mansoor
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Its a silly book!
Marissa
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silly Sally is a silly book. Which is exactly why children love it! The story is about a girl named Silly Sally who walks to town backwards and upside down. On her way to town she meets all sorts of animals who influence her to get to town in different ways (leaping, singing, dancing, sleeping). The book ends with another character named Neddy Buttercup waking everyone up so that they can continue into town walking backwards and upside down.
The illustrations in this book are interesting to look
Deena Lernor
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly Sally is a red haired lady who walks upside down. She travels to town and as she continues on her journey she picks up new animals. As she picks up new animals she adds new movements to her walk to town. Before Silly Sally reaches town, she reaches a predicament and is saved by Neddy Buttercup. Sally eventually reaches town with many obstacles in her way. The setting of this story is similar to the yellow brick road in Wizard of Oz. She continues to the path until she reaches her ultimate ...more
Rachel
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly Sally BY: Audrey Wood
Silly Sally by Audrey Wood was a cute book for young readers. This book is all about Sally being silly and walking to town upside down. She meets many other friends along the way and they all end up walking to town together. On their way they all fall asleep until Neddy Buttercup tickles them awake and everyone continues on their journey and makes it all the way to town!

This book had a fun rhyme scheme that I felt worked really well with the pictures. The text and ill
Samantha Friedman
Wow! I remember this book from my childhood! I picked it up because of the bright yellows, purples and blues on the cover and started reading it, going, "I know this book!" I love the watercolor done in this book. Even the end pages are a bright blue and the title pages are great. The text is bold and centered either at the top of the bottom of the page which allows you to look at the entire illustration or Sally doing whatever you just read she was doing. I like how when she goes to town you it ...more
Anjanette Avila
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors
I really like this book. I thinks it's a fun book. It made me want to go to the park and do kart wheels. I love how the different animals join her in her quest to go to town. I love how they each do thier own thing. I love how they take a nap in the book, because reading about all that topsy turing, made me want to go to sleep myself. I think this book would capture any child's attention. It's very colorful, and full of fun vocabulary.

Audrey Wood is a children's author. She currently resides in
Brittaney Reed
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wood, A. (1992) . Silly sally. Florida: Harcourt Inc.

"Silly Sally” by Audrey Wood is funny story about a silly woman's attempt to get into town. She walks backwards and upside down all while meeting people along the way. Sally's silly antics with her friends and how they get into town will surely make you laugh. This story is humerous and a little outrageous , but a definitely good read for younger children. Sally herself is depicted with crazy red orange hair and her friends are just as unusal.
Paxton
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silly Sally is one of my all time favorite books! I have had this book memorized since I was young. My grandparents got this book for me and we would read it all the time. My grandpa even started calling me Sally because I loved the book so much. He still, to this day, calls me Sally! This is a cute book more focused for younger children. It is a book that rhymes so it is very catchy for young children to get into. The words are minimal and the pictures tell the story on their own. You could mak ...more
Alex Austin
Wood, Audrey. "Silly Sally". New York: Harcourt Inc., 1992, Print. Silly story book. Age 2-4. This book was about a girl who would only walk backwards on her hands as she went to town. Along the way she met several animals and with each of the animals there was a different activity that they did together that rhymed with the name of the animal. With one of them she fell asleep and then another boy came in and helped her get to town. I thought that the way the white spaces were used was a great w ...more
MCC Children's Li...: try this with kids 1 4 Jan 27, 2012 05:33PM
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Wiggle
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • I Went Walking
  • Hey, Little Ant
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Mouse Mess
  • Clip-Clop
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Where's My Teddy?
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • The Best Pet of All
  • Dear Mr. Blueberry
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • A Boy and His Bunny
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...