Start by marking “The Biggest Prison on Earth: A History of the Occupied Territories” as Want to Read:
The Biggest Prison on Earth: A History of the Occupied Territories

The Biggest Prison on Earth: A History of the Occupied Territories

Following his critically acclaimed investigation of the ethnic cleansing of Palestine in the 1940s, renowned Israeli historian Ilan Pappe turns his attention to the annexation and occupation of Gaza and the West Bank, bringing us the first comprehensive critique of the Occupied Territories.
Based on groundbreaking archival research, NGO records, and eyewitness accounts,
Published November 8th 2016 by Oneworld Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Biggest Prison on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biggest Prison on Earth

Start your review of The Biggest Prison on Earth: A History of the Occupied Territories
Bill
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The author has thoroughly researched his material to present his case; I found it to be objective and for the most part impartial. He didn't end with some hopeful solution. And having read the book I see why. It seems to me that there may now be no solution that will be satisfactory to the Israelis & the Palestinians. I do recommend the book to all who care about peace, on both sides. It does show a side too often overlooked.
Dougb56586
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Note: I received a free, pre-publication copy of this book in exchange for an online review.

This book is about the Israeli governments treatment of the Palestinians living in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip territories which were seized by Israel in the 1967 Six-day War. Although I do not think the book is very well written, it covers an important subject and presents information the author extracted from Israeli government archives, so I think it is worth reading.

As a result of the 1967
Ailith Twinning
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I mean, I really don't see the point anymore with this sort of thing -- a small group of liberals will do the whole beautiful tears thing over this sort of thing, fascists will dismiss it with the whole "It didn't/isn't happening and, if it did, it'd be a good thing." thing they do, reasonable people will feel sad and powerless, and crazy people will find it just a little harder not to kill themselves, or worse.

I'm tired.
Mark Walker
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Not as good as Pappes book The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine.
He is struggling for a way of getting across what the Palestinians are subject to. That is understandable as it is a bizarre series of levers that are pulled against them. He tries to use the image of a prison, and later on develops that into open or closed prison.
The problem is that he is so frustrated and upset at having to describe the maltreatment, that he struggles to marshall his narrative. We all absorb information in different
Katy
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An unanticipated side effect of reading this book: the situation in the United States appears rosy!

I should probably write a detailed review for this book because it was excellent, providing me with new information, thoughtful insight and learned perspective, but I am currently torn between frothing at the mouth with rage and crying into a large glass of wine. It might take a while.
Elke
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A much needed eye-opener that leaves me with many questions
Very repetitive
Ján Kapusňak
Dec 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Textbook of Palestinian propaganda
Debbie Jacob
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, but much was covered in The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine.
Kenny Hunter

• Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
  • The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World
  • ليثيوم
  • The Populist Explosion: How the Great Recession Transformed American and European Politics
  • Pay Any Price: Greed, Power, and Endless War
  • The New Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
  • Kingdom of the Unjust: Behind the U.S.–Saudi Connection
  • The Disappearance of Childhood
  • From the Ashes
  • On Western Terrorism: From Hiroshima to Drone Warfare
  • Born to Buy: A Groundbreaking Exposé of a Marketing Culture That Makes Children "Believe They  Are  What They  Own." (USA Today)
  • The Country Under My Skin: A Memoir of Love and War
Ilan Pappé is a professor with the College of Social Sciences and International Studies at the University of Exeter in the UK, director of the university's European Centre for Palestine Studies, co-director of the Exeter Centre for Ethno-Political Studies, and political activist. He was formerly a senior lecturer in political science at the University of Haifa (19842007) and chair of the Emil ...more