Start by marking “A White Heron” as Want to Read:
A White Heron

A White Heron

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  964 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
What is an individual's responsibility to nature? Does our desire to understand the world give us the right to dominate plant and animal life? Should human relationships take precedence over relationships with other species? Is there any way for humans to co-exist with nature, or must we trample, dissect, or attempt to control it?

Sylvia, a shy child, 'afraid of folks', is
Published February 1st 2005 by David R. Godine Publisher (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about A White Heron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A White Heron

Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Laura
Shelves: published-1886
Oziel Bispo
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ela até que precisava do dinheiro, ela e sua pobre avó, mas rejeitou os 10 dólares para manter um segredo... para proteger uma maravilha da natureza.
Recommends it for: Petra, Wanda and Bettie
Recommended to Laura by: Constant Reader
You may read online here.

Opening lines:
The woods were already filled with shadows one June evening, just before eight o'clock, though a bright sunset still glimmered faintly among the trunks of the trees. A little girl was driving home her cow, a plodding, dilatory, provoking creature in her behavior, but a valued companion for all that. They were going away from whatever light there was, and striking deep into the woods, but their feet were familiar with the path, and it was no matter whether t
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature
Nature in this story is really symbolic of the feminine and the Hunter is symbolic of the masculine. The hunter's offer of money was a lure to have Sylvy submit her independence to man. The money was a lure to the symbolic love of man. By choosing to keep the location of the White Heron a secret she is choosing to remain independent.

Independence to a certain extent is good in my opinion, but I don't think that being dependent is bad - in fact in many things related to family and the gospel it i
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
What was impressed upon my mind while I was reading this was the ambivalence of the character of the young hunter whom Sylvia, the young woman, met in the woods while she was leading their cow home from pasture. First I thought he is danger, a massacre in the woods. Then I felt he is love, young Sylvia's first, and he would break her heart. But it turned out he is really interested more in finding the white heron. The rare bird Sylvia could deliver to him. But will she?
Nov 22, 2016 added it
Shelves: short-stories
"A White Heron" is a short story that reveals the importance, yet difficulty, of making decisions. The main character, Sylvia, must decide whether to tell the hunter, who is staying with her and her grandmother, where the white heron is or save the heron by keeping its location a secret. However, Sylvia and her grandmother are not wealthy and the hunter’s reward proves to be tempting. Sylvia must make an important decision before coming home to the impatient hunter.

This short story could be the
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
*read for class*
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sasha Ryzhova
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
“El viejo pino debió de amar a su nuevo habitante. Más que todos los halcones, y los murciélagos, y las mariposas, e incluso los tordos de dulce voz, estaban los latidos del valiente corazón de la niña solitaria de ojos grises. Y el árbol se estuvo quieto y plantó cara a los vientos esa mañana de junio mientras el rocío se hacía brillante en el este”.

Sarah Orne Jewett (1849-1909) cuentista y novelista que es, desgraciadamente, desconocida en nuestro país. Orne vivió toda su vida en Main
Jun 02, 2008 added it
Shy little Sylvia, driving Mistress Mooly home one day, (her cow) runs into a stranger who asks for lodgings. He adores birds, and stuffs them. There is a paticular bird he is looking for..... a white heron. Sylvia knows this bird, and has an inner argument on who she loives more. the stranger, or the bird.

Sylvia should be older, for her matureness. I cant believe how much story is in 50 pages.GASP!
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
A White Heron is a pretty good story about a brave, kind-hearted girl named Sylvie. I enjoyed reading the story because it was written in a nice, interesting way, but at the same time it was a little boring. The story has a great moral and it can teach people a lot about defending animals and being kind in general. To sum it all up, the story is pretty good with the moral, but it could've been a little more exciting.
I really enjoyed the many dimensions to this text, even though it is a short story. The ability to read it as a child-like fairytale, on a simple level, or on a deeper metaphorical level... I found the tale quite powerful with a protagonist that stayed true to herself and her female independence, even though she is still a child.
This charming short story is akin to a fairy tale for adults. A case may be made for deeper metaphorical meanings, but this tale should be enjoyed simply for what it is. A girl, when asked to betray a beautiful creature, is not swayed by gain but makes up her own mind. A wonderful tale of trust and right.
Jun 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Like "Daisy Miller," this story reads like early Jewett--Jewett before she put it all together and fleshed it out in "The Country of the Pointed Firs." Or maybe she's just better at longer works. Still, this is a fair piece about a young woman's desire and resistance to it.
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beautiful coming of age story. I loved the imagery of her world. When she reaches the tree top, I felt like I could see the world down below with Sylvia.
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Power of choice and whats better for life over all. Nice little story with far more meaning than some might realize.
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Annika by: n/a
The story was short, sweet, and simple. Nothing amazing, but I really liked it. It was cute, had a good ending, and was intriguing. Loved Sylvia.

Content: G- No inappropriate content.
Tim Wilks
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought the length of the story affected the detail in the story
The story is in third person.
I think the third person gets well with the plot
Audrey Snow
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite short story in the world! I want to name my future daughter Sylvia after the outdoorsy, inquisitive, animal-loving girl in this story. Definitely one to pass down!
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Best Book ever written. Does a nine year old give up her soul symbolized by a White Heron? I read this in 1974 and it still reads as great in 2008.
Laura Clark
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Short, purposeful read. Great short story.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
3+ stars (liked it)
Abby N Lewis
Whenever I truly love a story, it gets a rainbow of stars drawn in above the title. This one was particularly worthy of the rainbow. It's likely I will continue to dream of this story for years to come.
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't really like the story because I thought it was a little bit dull and boring because I think the story should have been longer so that she could have put more detail and depth into the it. But she did make it clear to the reader what was happening throughout the story.

Plot: The story starts when a girl goes to her grandma's house to help her. Then she meets a man in the forest Who is looking for a special bird to kill for his collection, but she does not understand because she says how
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The book was ok because there wasn't much but interesting enough because, I don't want to spoil anything so read it yourself and write what you think.

Here's what I think:
The book was great, technically not much in the book, but great for a small book. I really like the way of having a protecter and a killer. The protecter is the protagonist, the main character. The killer is the antagonist, maybe even the heron is the antagonist, causing tension to the protagonist. The protagonist is always the
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
  • The Norton Anthology of Children's Literature: The Traditions in English
  • The Open Boat
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature
  • Young Goodman Brown
  • Short Stories by Gabriel García Márquez: A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings (Study Guide)
  • Paul's Case
  • The War Prayer
  • Ruth Hall and Other Writings
  • Good Country People
  • The Wife of His Youth and Other Stories
  • Classic Tales and Fables for Children
  • Life in the Iron Mills
  • The Parenticide Club
Sarah Orne Jewett was an American novelist and short story writer, best known for her local color works set in or near South Berwick, Maine, on the border of New Hampshire, which in her day was a declining New England seaport.
More about Sarah Orne Jewett...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99