Start by marking “Sweet Dream Pie” as Want to Read:
Sweet Dream Pie

Sweet Dream Pie

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
From two of today's most talented creators of children's books comes an outrageously delicious tale about an irresistible pie.

Imagine a pie made of chocolate, gumdrops, licorice -- and every sweet ingredient you love. Bestselling author Audrey Wood teams up with popular illustrator Mark Teague to concoct a tale about a pie so irresistible it can't be forgotten -- and the s
Published July 1st 2002 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Dream Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Dream Pie

Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great, imaginative story with charming illustrations. This is one of my personal favorites. For some reason it has left a lasting impression on me.
Shawn
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I was really looking forward to this one. Written by Audrey Wood and illustrated by Mark Teague, who combined to give us the great Flying dragon Room, comes this charming little book.

Sweet dream pie is about, literally, just that a sweet dream pie. Anyone who eats from this fabulous pie gets wonderful dreams, but be careful if you over eat those dreams can turn into nightmares. This is what happens when you make enough sweet dream pie for the whole neighborhood.
English 212
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paige-2015
The pictures in this book were amazing. The whole page from top to bottom and both sides were full of color and life. The pictures to me made the story. I think the message in this is very subtle or may be very different for someone else, but to me this book was about how not always getting something you want may be for the best. Everyone wants to eat Ma's pie and everyone is told not to eat too much or else, except for Amy. Amy really wants to eat the pie, but is not allowed because it makes he ...more
Connie
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a marvelous, detailed fantasy.

All day, Ma and Pa Brindle make an enormous "Sweet Dream Pie". The pie is clearly magical - every move the Brindles make to bake this pie is echoed on the street. When they roll out the dough, everybody falls off their bed onto the floor. When the oven is on, the street is hot. When they blow on the pie to cool it off, a breeze picks up in the neighborhood.

All the neighbors (except the little allergic girl) are invited to have a single slice of pie - but the
Amy
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Just before dawn, Ma and Pa Brindle go up to the attic to get the fixings for making sweet dream pie- a mysterious dessert that's sure to get everyone talking. The culinary confection takes a day to make and while its cooking (on a special setting on the oven) the neighborhood fills with irresistible scents. The people are lured in, and when the pie is ready, Pa brings out the enormous treat. Ma warns, "just one slice!" But hardly a soul can refrain and thirds and fourths are gulped down. As peo ...more
Jane G Meyer
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My son loved this book. It is wild and wacky and filled with sweets. I'm not so taken by it because now he wants to make a pie filled with every sweet thing in our kitchen! And... he talks about bad dreams more than I would like. He hasn't had any yet, but I'm not sure how smart it is to bring that subject up with little ones, even though it's all done in fun.

If you do tumble upon this book, read it with a Southern accent. So fun! The language flows so beautifully and you can become a Georgia gi
Francesca
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book was, by far, one of the most prevalent and beloved picture books of my childhood. I loved the vibrant colors of the whimsical illustrations, and the concept (a pie made entirely of candy), while appalling to most adults, was entrancing to my sister and me. To this day, I still remember Inky King, and the fact that he looked like he'd "swallowed a bowling ball" after he had eaten a few to many slices of pie.
Nicole
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
One of my friends who is expecting her first baby asked for some children's books recommendations so I have started adding them. Audrey Wood is one of my very favorite children's authors and this is the book that introduced me to her. I love it! It feeds the imagination and the illustrations are cute. What I really love about Audrey Wood is the attention she pays to the rhythm of her words. They roll off your tongue and are a lot of fun to read out loud.
Ruth Ann
Delightfully quirky story about an older couple, Ma and Pa Brindle, who decide to bake a ginormous pie on a very hot summer day! The baking of the pie pretty much shuts down the entire neighborhood due to the added heat from their oven. When the pie is ready, Ma Brindle warns everyone to eat only one piece. No one listens. Bad dreams ensue.

The illustrations add extra flavor to the story. ;)
Natalie Cottam
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this is most certainly one of my favorite kids' books EVER! it is so descriptively written, and the plot is so wacky and fun. every single one of my kids was completely captivated by it. it is out of print, so now i am on a mission to find a copy of this in hardcover for our collection. mark teague never disappoints, and audrey wood's words have never been better.
Tricia
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Audrey Wood's writing is always magical and this tale is no exception. Ma's baking of a sweet dream pie sets the whole neighborhood into overindulgence resulting in Ma's sweeping up of monsterish creatures throughout the night until the effect wears off. Could be interpreted as a warning against overindulgence in sugary sweets!
Heidi-Marie
Interesting and odd story. But very colorful pictures. I wouldn't have even touched that pie knowing what went into it. Serves all those greedy people right to have the dreams they did. Too bad--I mean, lucky for them that Ma Brindle is so nice to take care of it all.
Karen L.
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool-elem
My kids also loved this one and insisted I add it to goodreads. We made our own sweet dream pie with fruity rice cereal (real colorful)and marshmallows following a rice crispy treat recipe. We added a little regular rice crispies too.
Greta
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not so fond of the type of illustrations in this book, but this is a great book. My students grades 1-3 absolutely loved this book. It provides rampant opportunities for children to make connections.
Tiffany Tilton
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! The plot line is very different than anything i have ever read before. This book is good for storytime, or possibly a book report; this book gives kids opportunity to really explore their imaginations.
The Brothers
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baking, dreams, pies
Once in a great while, Ma Brindle makes her sweet dream pie. It's a huge pie that fills the neighborhood with wonderful smells. Everyone has some - some too much. It causes sweet dreams, but if you eat too much the dreams can get out of hand.

Great illustrations.
Amanda Goodman
It was strange. The dreams that sugar induces were really weird. I couldn't decide if they were trying to get the message across that to much sugar does strange things or if the author just thought it was a fun story line.
Ellen Brandt
Nov 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Winning Combination: Audrey Wood (author) and Mark Teague (illustrator). I always start with a discussion of favorite pies. (and then later we think of favorite sweets that we'd add to this magic pie)
Nicole
Nov 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 7 and 8 year olds who are hip enough to get it
A cool idea. I loved how making the pie affected the town (ie- open the trunk and cats open an eye) but that it was never explained outright. Having the dreams come to life was also entertaining.

Not your average PB, which automatically makes it cool in my book.
Elizabeth
Another favorite book to read to my children.
Elaine
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My son's favorite.
Harmoni
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this is my most favorite book in the whole wide world
Rozalyn
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
My kids love this one, I think it's all the candy. I think the ending is a little anti-climactic, but that's just me. Mark Teague is one of our favorite illustrators.
Cat
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story for older kids! Funny for adults , too. I kind of miss K-marts cool rainbow swirled bread when I read this tale! I'd serve it along with the story!
Rida
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I had a lot of fun reading this book it was funny and I wanted some of the pie too
Mikiele Luce
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this book! The story is unique and captivating and the illustrations make me wish that I had a slice of that pie.
Chrystie Sargent
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My boys find this one at the library a lot! From the amount of times we have read or I think it's a good investment. Kept my preschool class entertained as well.
Teressa
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Fantastic book. I wish I'd heard this when I was little. Amazing pictures, amazing story, equally amazing via audio tape.
Rosa Cline
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This book is for BIG IMAGINATIONS (similar to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) it also teaches kids about what it's like to eat to much sweets even after they have been warned not to eat as much.
Brenda
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great imaginative children's literature!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Me First (Sandpiper paperbacks)
  • Whopper Cake
  • A Book
  • You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Dragonfly Books)
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Princess Hyacinth: The Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated
  • I'm Still Here in the Bathtub: Brand New Silly Dilly Songs
  • The Perfect Nest
  • An Undone Fairy Tale
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...