Start by marking “Break My Fall (Falling, #2)” as Want to Read:
Break My Fall (Falling, #2)

Break My Fall

(Falling #2)

Violence.
I’m addicted to it. It’s how I feel alive. It’s the only thing that’s real any more.

And now I have to sit around and discuss it like it’s physics or calculus.

I can’t do it. I can’t pretend that it’s some sterile academic topic.

Violence isn’t sterile. It isn’t calm. It’s pulsing. It’s alive.

It’s my drug.

Until I met Abby, I never wanted anything beyond the next
Published February 15th 2016 by Jessica Scott

To ask other readers questions about Break My Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Break My Fall

Start your review of Break My Fall (Falling, #2)
Claire Robinson
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shit-hot-series
5 - "Don't talk about my friend that way." Stars!

I am a huge fan of Jessica Scott’s books, you can feel the knowledge and authenticity of experience of the Armed Forces lifestyle and ethos, in every (ex) Service Personnel character that she gives you.

The same can certainly be said for Josh, this is a guy who is definitely struggling to integrate himself back into regular society, and day-to-day life, while suffering from severe bouts of anxiety, and mood-swings triggered by the littlest and
Jessica Scott writes stories about soldiers who have returned from war and are trying to settle back into life at home. You can tell she writes from experience and she captures the struggles they face perfectly so it is very easy to get inside her characters head's and feel everything right alongside them.

Josh spent two tours abroad and he's come home broken, he's not coping with the stress and is drinking far too much which doesn't help his anger issues so he's often getting into bar fights.
Under the Covers Book Blog

If you're reading Jessica Scott’s work for the first time and you like military themed books, you’ll find Falling for Me a very satisfying and enjoyable read. This novel and her previous work focus on Veterans coming back from the war, surviving the aftermath and finding love. Who could resist a second chance for our fallen heroes, right?

Josh is back in the US trying to live a “normal” life. He starts by going back to college but has been finding himself out of place. The war broke him

Darcy
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, e-book, romance
My heart broke for the characters in this book. Abby for her past which made her skittish and Josh for having a hard time trying to go back to normal after being to war. Both of them were trying so hard for the "normal" and were upset they weren't. I liked that both Abby and Josh became comfortable enough with each other to talk about their issues and loved that both of them understood and listened to the other and stood my them.

I liked that towards the end Josh got to see that he wasn't the
Jacquie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a light-hearted read, this book is not for you. It’s gritty, raw, and emotionally charged. I Loved It!

Written in first person, Josh’s story is one of immeasurable pain and suffering, yet for all that, the underlying core of steel that runs through his blood keeps him from giving up, letting go.

When he meets Abby the attraction is immediate, but here too, Ms. Scott doesn’t take the easy road. Abby has a past to deal with herself and the odds at times seem insurmountable, but
Danielle Woods
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!! It feels different from past books. Josh is recently out of the Army but has no idea how to be a civilian. He is trying to go to college but feels out of place. He fights the demons from his time at war and some personal issues. He finds it hard to socialize and adjust to not being part of the army.

Abby is beautiful, amazing and also fights her own demons. She is in college and completely focused on her studies and future. She's been burned in the past by boyfriends and
Pat
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A dark, beautiful and sensual love story, that will break your heart a crack at a time. At it's conclusion your in love with Josh and Abby. Full review at
Kirke
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, soldier

What I like most about Jessica Scott‘s stories, and especially here in Break My Fall, is the flaws in the characters. Josh and Abby both have some clear demons, and even though this story has a happy ending, it doesn’t mean their issues are gone. They’ve made some progress, and things are looking up, but in no way are they fully healed. I find it refreshing to see that their love isn’t the magical cure for all their problems.

Josh is nearing rock bottom. He’s having trouble fitting in at
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)

If you’re reading Jessica Scott’s work for the first time and you like military themed books, you’ll find Falling for Me a very satisfying and enjoyable read. This novel and her previous work focus on Veterans coming back from the war, surviving the aftermath and finding love. Who could resist a second chance for our fallen heroes, right?

Kari
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ipad, 2016, for-review
I was so happy when I got my hands on a copy of Break My Fall. I loved the first book in this series, Before I Fall. I can say the same thing about this second New Adult book. One of the hardest things that I find when an author keeps writing great books is that I run out of creative ways to say I loved it. I guess there could be worse problems, right? It definitely can be read as a stand alone, so if you missed the first book, you will be not be lost.

Break my Fall is Josh and Abby's story.
Liza
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’m a huge fan of Jessica Scott and was super excited to get a chance to read her new book early. I always know when I start a Jessica Scott book, I’m in for a very emotional ride, and Break My Fall was no different.

Both Josh and Abby have some history of violence in their lives; Abby from her mom’s boyfriend and Josh from fighting in a war. I almost felt like their souls were lost and lucky enough to find one another. There was nothing easy about the relationship between Abby and Josh, but I
Musing
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartfelt

Jessica Scott is an author I adore. Her writing sensitively explores the harsh realities of returning to "normal" life after serving overseas in wars. Can damaged, broken hearts and bodies find peace? Can they reconcile the killing done while serving as soldiers as necessary over the truths they've been raised to know that killing another man is not okay?

Break My Fall was another example of Scott's supreme ability to sift through such hard, devastating questions and issues. It was
Bette Hansen
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another powerful story from Jessica Scott that gives us insight on some of the issues our veterans deal with when returning to civilian life. This series/book is NA and gives us the story of two college students drawn to each other against all odds. Josh is lost. The only things that seem to get through to him are alcohol and fighting. He's attending classes but other than that getting into the whole college scene just isn't something he can do so he spends his nights in a bar. Abby has her own ...more
Jodie Lauren
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Josh is back from war but not all is as it seems. The fighting, the drinking, the anger rages on until
He meets Abby. The violence threatens their future before they even get started, can Abby overcome her fears from her past to help Josh defeat his problems so they have a shot at being happy ... Even if it means they have to do it apart?!

Xx
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really great buildup, but lacking in the end of Josh's story arc. I would have loved to see more of his healing, even if it was off page as Noah's was in Before I Fall. Otherwise I appreciated the truth and depth of feelings portrayed in Break My Fall, specifically as they related to the experience of war versus the perception of war.
Joan Onderko
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Jessica Scott. I have enjoyed all of her books and this one is no exception. It is the harsh reality of war that we as the civilian world don't think about,no we (me) get caught up in the videos of the reunions and never look past that. The book was a little short but very good.
Kathy Crouch
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Winner by Jessica Scott
Jody
The lack of psychological care for returning veterans takes center stage in this emotionally intense romance that also touches on prejudices towards those who are biracial as well as issues surrounding domestic abuse. It all adds up to a heartwrenching tale of opposites attracting that leaves you misty-eyed as well as cheering by the final turn of the page. It's ultimately a hard to forget story that touches on a group of wounded warriors trying to find peace amidst minds full of chaos and ...more
Diane
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Explosive!

Jessica Scott's writing style is purposely gritty and abrasive. But, because of the subject matter she's tackling in this series, you owe it to yourself, and our military community, to get up close and personal with the battles they face after their tour of duty ends. Josh has serious anger management issues and he lashes out at everyone and everything, branding himself a loner...until he meets Abby and recognizes an equally suffering kindred spirit. Their relationship is an emotional
Laurie Baker
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Break my fall

I really, really, really liked this book. It's the second in Jessica Scott's series. Let me tell you, these soldiers are truly remarkable men. They are screwed up....and know it. But they are trying to move on with their lives, and it definitely takes a strong woman to help them through. Josh, oh my. This boy has issues, but Abby is there to break his fall. Such a beautiful, yet heartbreaking story.
Tina Welsh
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Josh is a veteran trying to figure out how to be civilian college student at one of the best universities in North Carolina. Abby has her own set of issues while working her way through school. Do these two figure out how to deal with their issues and stay together? Scott writes books about real issues that veterans deal with. You fall in love with her characters even with their problems.
Viviana Izzo
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I've typed up this review a few times, trying to figure out how to word my thoughts and where to start..... This is a standalone, so if you're like me, and haven't read the previous book, you won't be lost. I've read Jessica's, the author, Coming Home Series and love them. Military heroes, each living with a struggle and trying to survive! Jessica's writing style is strong, yet simple. She writes emotional characters that readers are drawn to and can connect with.

Due to the fact that I've read
Courtney Morales
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book did not start off where the first book left off. The copy I have has horrible printing. I couldn't even really get into this one because I thought it was a series of books all about the same people and story. I will try the third book but no promises.
Amee
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had my heart twisting in places. Loved the dynamic between the 2 main characters. Good ending.
Kame
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved
Ariana
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm being generous with 3 stars.
Jocelyn
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Another wonderful read by Jessica Scott.
Brandy
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love

I absolutely love this book. She is an amazing writer and the fact that she shows how each character reacts to the moment is wonderful
Michel Reinhard (Saucy Southern Readers)
Blog Banner photo banner2_zps0a9ef8c3.jpg
Break My Fall by Jessica Scott is the second book in the dynamic new adult, Falling Series. Unlike most new adult series, the Falling series features a unique cast of characters. These characters have experienced the trauma of war and are now trying to fit into society. They can't relate to their college peers, they no longer fit in their former life in the army, and are holding on by a thread. The only thing that keeps them glued together is their rag tag group that hangs together at the bar
Gina
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I have read all of Jessica Scott's other books, and I have enjoyed the others, with the exception of this series. I did not enjoy this one, and if I read this book first, I am not sure I would have read anything else by this author, which would have been a shame.

They characters didn't seem to have much going on, other than thinking about themselves and each other. Barely any outside interests, and very few friends (or other characters) in the book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Trick (Foolish Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Game You Play (Rixon Raiders, #2)
  • School of Broken Souls (Academy of Souls, #1)
  • The Trouble with You (Rixon Raiders, #1)
  • Tall, Tatted and Tempting (The Reed Brothers, #1)
  • The Mrs MacKinnons
  • Slow Burn (Into The Fire, #2)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • Dating Trouble (Grover Beach Team, #5)
  • A Wicked Kind of Husband (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • The Brave Line
  • Gathering Frost (Once Upon a Curse, #1)
  • Granting Wishes (Once Upon a Curse, #0.5)
  • Hunt Me Down (Fight for Me, #1.5)
  • Outrageous (Quantum, #7)
  • Just Friends (Friends, #1)
  • Follow Me Back (Fight for Me, #2)
  • Whiskey Burning (Iron Fury MC, #1)
Jessica Scott is an Iraq war veteran, an active duty army officer and the USA Today bestselling author of novels set in the heart of America’s Army. She is the mother of two daughters, three cats and three dogs, and wife to a retired NCO. She and her family are currently wherever the Army has sent her.

She's also written for the New York Times At War Blog, PBS Point of View Regarding War, and IAVA.

Falling (5 books)
  • Before I Fall (Falling, #1)
  • After I Fall (Falling #3)
  • Catch My Fall (Falling, #4)
  • Until We Fall (Falling #5)