Start by marking “The Shattered Vigil (The Darkwater Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shattered Vigil (The Darkwater Saga, #2)

The Shattered Vigil (The Darkwater Saga #2)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  284 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Award-Winner Carr Delivers Latest in Fantasy Saga

Victory over the dark forces during the feast of Bas-solas should have guaranteed safety for the continent. Instead, Willet and the rest of the Vigil discover they've been outsmarted by those seeking to unleash the evil that inhabits the Darkwater. Jorgen, the member of the Vigil assigned to Frayel, has gone missing, and new
Published November 1st 2016 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Shattered Vigil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shattered Vigil

Schuyler
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Willet, the main characters is just as good as ever. I love him. He has a pleasing sense of sarcasm, a compassion for the poor people of the town, and a good balance of manly stoicism. He carries on what I loved about the last book while peeling away deeper layers of personality. Carr surprised me by Willet's occasional unreliable narration--not because he's lying, but because the vault in his mind from his past plays tricks on him. Willet doesn't collapse under the pain of his past like some ch ...more
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
I have been a fan of Author Patrick W. Carr since I first read A Cast of Stones. When I saw that he had a new series, The Darkwater Saga, I absolutely had to check it out. This is a different flavor of fantasy than I had come to expect from Mr. Carr but it is engrossing, full of darkness and utterly complex.

This is an epic fantasy and if you are expecting happy endings you will not find them here. There is conflict from beginning to end. This story is a battle of the minds, wills, and powers tha
Faye
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Willet Dura and the Vigil discover that the evil coming from the Darkwater is worse than they could have imagined, and that the Darkwater is growing.

This book picks up right where the last book left off, but they must face new evils in their search for the truth of what hides in the depths of the Darkwater.

Each member of the Vigil has taken an apprentice from among the urchins, and I loved seeing how Toria, Pellin, Bronwyn, and Willet mentor, and teach their young apprentices who are quick to
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
When you think that things are going well for Will Dura, chaos erupts!

This is the second book in the Darkwater Saga. Will and the other members of the Vigil defeated the evil of the Darkwater in the first book. They did not know that the evil is spreading and the enemy is taking a new approach to corrupt society.

In order to fully grasp this book, you really need to read The Shock of Nightfirst. The plot of this fantasy is complex. There are many people involved. The Vigil is a complex group that
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
3.5 Stars

I can't actually do a proper review of this book as I didn't know at the time I got a print copy from the publisher (BethanyHouse) that is was the second book in the series. I definitely want to go back and read the first book and then read this book again, maybe I will understand more of what is really going on.

Some books are okay as a stand alone but for me, when it's high/epic fantasy, I need to start from the beginning.

I did like some of the characters in the book even though ther
Studentofparables
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has those authors – when someone asks you for a recommendation – they’re the top names to spill out of your mouth. When asked why you like them, you can try to name things like excellent style, plot, or characters, but it’s really all of those things, and yet none of them at once. It’s that otherness, that quality you can’t pin down, but that resonates so strongly with you. Most simply put, the way you read, they write.

“The Shattered Vigil” has more of everything from the previous Dark
Daphne Self
Shattered Vigil is the second installment in the Darkwater Saga. If I thought By Divine Right and Shock of Night were superb, then I have no words for Shattered Vigil.

Patrick Carr has the ability to pull the reader into a new world and immerse that reader into cultures, beliefs, societies, and lands that are rich in detail. He uses not just first person point of view (Willet Dura), but also third person, to give the reader a dual experience. Let them know what is to come and what is happening,
David Bergsland
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Here’s another mainline Christian fantasy. Carr’s writing makes it enjoyable. But, as Christian fiction there’s not a lot here. However, it is entertaining. Patrick creates characters who are compelling and complex. Plus, the relationships are intense and convoluted. Carr gives us several surprises as he weaves a dark, nasty tale.

Like with many second books, I found I felt oppressed by the constant tension and the sheer nastiness. You know how it is. We know the second book must be where the her
English
I’m quite picky with fantasy, and I don’t always like much of what I read. To be brutally honest, I found the first book in this series The Shock of Night a bit of a slog, to the point that I stopped enjoying it and just wanted to get it over with in the end.

I requested this one partly because the Audiobook had just been released, so I hoped to listen to that alongside this, in truth though, I think I listened to the whole thing as an Audiobook. This second instalment in the Trilogy seemed stro
Katherine Forster
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
So basically I was dying the whole way through this? If the stakes in the last book were high, this one raises them way higher. You start to understand a lot more about the Vigil - and what they're fighting - so in a lot of ways this book is more intense than the first one.

I was already invested in the characters, but in this one they got fleshed out a lot more - including some minor characters, like the urchins. There were a lot of them too, so it's pretty impressive that the author could make
Christian Fiction Addiction
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Patrick W. Carr has crafted a highly creative world in his "Dark Water Saga" series, and after devouring the first book in the series (The Shock of Night), I was anxiously awaiting the chance to return to the land of Collum in this next instalment. Fortunately, I was not disappointed, as "The Shattered Vigil" again provides an absorbing read populated with fascinating characters where you aren't quite sure who is good, and who may be evil. The scenes are filled with plenty of action, and I enjoy ...more
Rebekah Gyger
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Described as a Fantasy Mystery, The Shattered Vigil is a very complex novel with many threads that need to be followed in order to reach the end. The tone is dark and suspenseful, with few moments of mirth to lighten the impact of the plot. Those who pick up this series (and especially this second book) should be ready for an intense struggle against the darkness that lurks in the Darkwater.

Strangely enough, I enjoyed this book more than I did the first. While both are just as dark, The Shattere
Meagan Myhren-bennett
The Shattered Vigil
The Darkwater Saga #2
By Patrick W. Carr

Their victory over the Darkwater forces during the feast of Bas-solas should have given them a reprieve in their war against the growing darkness. But all too soon the Vigil learns the true cost of their victory - it has provided cover for the enemy's latest attack. And the Vigil is vulnerable to this newest threat that has come against them ~ an enemy that cannot be seen.

Willet Dura has yet to gain the Vigil's trust due to the vault hidd
Sara James
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how he does it!

Patrick Carr has quickly become my favorite living Christian author of fantasy. He excels at building a concept of the church that exists in his imaginary realm that is at once novel and familiar. Doing so, he allows us to experience both the strengths and weaknesses we often see in our fellow believers, but outside of our specific denominational concepts, it can be easier to weigh these in light of Scripture instead of our man-made traditions. Anyone who says they do
Ria
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unexpectedly compelling

Maybe it's the street urchins, who have lived more than the the entire Vigil.. or the calling out of anyone and everyone who has ever been considered a Christian of any faith and somehow forgotten the poor, the broken and the children who in their minds are too dirty, too invisible and too unwanted to matter.

Be prepared for each book in The Darkwater Saga to hit too close to home.

Well. Done.
Doug Hibbard
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'll expand this review later---but for now, Patrick W. Carr continues to write with an intricacy and an intrigue that I absolutely love. The Shattered Vigil picks up well where The Shock of Night left off, and we still don't know what the real danger is. Looking forward to it!

And, this time, there are maps to help us figure out where everything is! I still need to get my artistic children to map out his first trilogy for me. :)
D Nine
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, fantasy
When it comes to fantasy, I can't read a series a book a year. I needed to delve the author to be reminded about a few characters and scenes. My mind took awhile to catch up.

So much action and suspense! Appreciated the writing style/content excluding unnecessary descriptive comments for lapsed days or hours.

I read on my Kindle. I really needed a map at times!
Sharon
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author has totally drawn me into this fantasy. I can't get enough. I hardly want to take the time for this review; I just want to dive right on into the next book. It is important to read these books in order because each one builds on the previous one. As the saying goes, "The plot thickens."
Jodi Woody
Book Two of the Darkwater Saga. I loved the prequel, and book one, this one did not disappoint. I will be continuing on with the series. These are well written, have a great storyline, and the characters are fleshed out. I already thinking about finishing the series and having to say goodbye to them. I give The Shattered Vigil five stars. I can recommend for ages 16 and up.
Nathaniel
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good sequel to The Shock of Night. I enjoyed the Darkwater Saga a lot more than I thought I would. Some of it got a little slow, making me stop for short breaks, but I pushed through it and thoroughly enjoyed each bit of it. This is a recommended fantasy read for any bookworms.
Carlene Armour
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this author and both of the series I have read of his. The third book in The Darwater Saga is coming out soon and I am SO EXCITED! The first series beginning with A Cast of Stones was so refreshingly different. I'm so glad I found it on Bookbub.
Jessica
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

Wow! This book is surprising until the end.

Willet Dura and the members of The Vigil appear again. After finishing up the mess from Bas Solas, they go on the offensive to combat the spread of The Darkwater. You will be continually surprised but what they discover.
Azalea Dabill
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm chomping at the bit for the next book. This is a solid adventure, far more real than even Mr Carr's first series, which weren't bad. I've really fallen for Willet Dura, his impossible situation, those he loves, and the world he has to save . . .
Russell Volz
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait for the 3rd book! That pretty much sums up my review. This series is a bet more cerebral than The Staff And The Sword series, but it's still some of the best fiction that I've read in decades.
Bernice
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carr continues to prove what an amazing author he is, this series is even better than the Errol Stone books and this book is even better that the first two in the series, I can't wait for the next book.
Kay Dee
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
hmm this series is not as much fun as the sword and staff. not enough wins and way too many losses. also the font is very small. much smaller than regular. i guess the publisher wanted to keep the books a certain size but it was hard to read.
S.rae
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Patrick W. Carr is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. This is an amazing book with twists and turns and one heck of a cliff hanger ending.
Jon Selin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good installment

Very convincing world he has created. Picking up steam as it goes. Tons of new information revealed in this one. Left me wanting more.
Kelly
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed these books. They have been a bit hard to follow for me but I love the world Mr. Carr has created. The characters are wonderful!
Jessica Higgins
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A second installment that reads just as good as the first!

As Willet and the Vigil thought there were in the clear, new dangers have emerged that are beyond anything they have ever faced. Not only are these new foes assassins, but they never spotted until it is too late. As members of the Vigil disappear and murders take place, Willet must escape to face the threat and save the continent.

This has been a really enjoyable series by Carr. He is a master at developing his characters and creating new
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Feb 27, 2016 07:57AM
Patrick Carr was born on an Air Force base in West Germany at the height of the cold war. He has been told this was not his fault. As an Air Force brat, he experienced a change in locale every three years until his father retired to Tennessee. Patrick saw more of the world on his own through a varied and somewhat eclectic education and work history. He graduated from Georgia Tech in 1984 and has w ...more
More about Patrick W. Carr

The Darkwater Saga (3 books)
  • The Shock of Night (The Darkwater Saga, #1)
  • The Wounded Shadow (The Darkwater Saga, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“Because I’ve yet to see mankind make a mistake that it was unwilling to repeat.” 0 likes