Start by marking “Kingdom of Ash and Briars (The Nissera Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of Ash and Briars (The Nissera Chronicles, #1)

Kingdom of Ash and Briars

(The Nissera Chronicles #1)

Bristal, an orphaned kitchen maid, lands in a gritty fairy tale gone wrong when she discovers she is an elicromancer with a knack for shape-shifting. An ancient breed of immortal magic beings, elicromancers have been winnowed down to merely two - now three - after centuries of bloody conflict in the realm. Their gifts are fraught with responsibility, and sixteen-year-old B ...more
Published September 15th 2016 by Holiday House, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of Ash and Briars, please sign up.
Hannah West Hi! Kingdom of Ash and Briars is for ages 12 and up. Thank you for asking! :)

Lola
This is a YA retelling of ''The Sleeping Beauty''.

It’s an okay story. I liked the heroine, the writing, the fast-pacing.

But did I actually enjoy the retelling factor? Not quite. To be honest, I had no idea prior to starting this book that it would be a retelling. Obviously, my mind must have been elsewhere because the title is a gigantic clue.

It’s not that great of a retelling, if that’s what you’re looking for. Bristal, the heroine, is Rosie’s – Sleeping Beauty’s – protector. And that was origi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I really have no words. It just wasn’t for me 😕

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Erin
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Welp! Well that was underwhelming. I have a feeling that I'm going to be in the minority on this book but this book was so boring.

Kingdom of Ash and Briars by Hannah West is a mix of fairytale, contemporary mysticism, & boredom. A loose retelling of Sleeping Beauty with shades of Mulan. Without the diversity of Mulan all characters read as white. Tells the tale of Bristol an orphaned kitchen maid who discovers that she is actually one of the last of a breed of ancient magical immortal being
Giselle
An Advance Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes pulled from the ARC may be incorrect and may be subject to change.

Well! I wasn't expecting such a fun and adventurous read! And even though there are echoes of Sleeping Beauty, Mulan, Emma and Cinderella, the story is still strong on its own. Loved the magical bits a lot and the slow burn romance was just too cute.

The writing is vivid and engaging! Right from the start I was invested in it. And I knew I was going to like it
C.J.
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! Flawless world building, fascinating characters, an epic story, a swoony romance, and such a clever homage to several fairy tales. It's absolutely brilliant, and I want Hannah West's next book in my hands YESTERDAY.
Kerri
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
KINGDOM OF ASH AND BRIARS is a breathtaking fantasy that draws inspiration from classic fairytales and breathes even more magic into them. I could not flip the pages fast enough and cannot wait to see what new adventure Hannah West has in store for us next!

Perfect for fans of fantasy, adventure, fairytales, strong female leads, and swoon-worthy romance.
Arielle Walker
Despite the gorgeous cover, promising beauties to come, once the cover was opened and pages were turned this whole book felt... rushed. As though the author had neatly laid out a plot and was determined to get from point A to point C at any cost, major events rushed up in a blur and years were lost in the span of a single page.

The heroine (whose name I have already forgotten) gains and masters her powers in the blink of an eye; the enemy is found and made over the same speck of time. We are told
Gray Cox
Hmmm, I don't know if I should give this three or four stars... :/
Claire Legrand
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stunning. A pitch-perfect fantasy for fans of Sabriel, Graceling, and The Hero and the Crown. More thoughts to come.
Eileen (BookCatPin)
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kingdom of Ash and Briars is a must-read for fantasy fans. It is officially one of my favourite 2016 reads! The book meticulously blends fairy tales together while maintaining complete originality. What an imaginative story!

The world in Kingdom of Ash and Briars is intricate with legends and foretelling but also simple and easy to catch onto. I was surprised by the drawn-out timeline but it made perfect sense. This book had bits of various fairy tales mixed into new material. Ms. West beautifull
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

Initial reaction:

DNF @ 55%

Fun fact: I LOVE fairytale retellings! I participate in a retelling challenge every year and actively seek them out because they're usually amazing. When I first saw Kingdom of Ash and Briars earlier this year I knew I had to have it and, when I had the opportunity to read an ARC, of course I said yes! With such an amazing lineup of tales, I expected nothing short of greatness!

Kingdom of Ash and Briars is about Bristal, a kitc
Ambur
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been ridiculously excited about KINGDOM OF ASH AND BRIARS since I first saw the cover months ago....so, so excited! And you know what? It completely lived up to that excitement and totally blew past all of my expectations! It was amazing!!! :D Gah!!!

I absolutely loved Bristal! She was such a wonderful main character, and it was a pleasure to get to see what was going on inside of her head. The story itself was magical, and just all-around wonderful! And all of the characters were freakin
Brianna Silva
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
DNFing this almost 100 pages in. The setup is so cliché, I feel nothing for the characters, and - ick I hate being so negative - but the prose isn't creating vivid imagery in my mind, either.

Also, this is a magic-centered story, and I tend not to care for those. But that's my fault for not reading the synopsis more closely.

I skimmed through the rest of the book to see how the story plays out... and as far as I could see, it doesn't swerve in any directions that interest me. I have no regrets for
Katie Grace
Jul 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I tried, but... this book just didn't work for me. :/
rebecca ɤ
Mar 23, 2016 marked it as to-read
this sounds so good omg i need to keep my eye on this
Christa
Loved it. RTC
Lindsey
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Really interesting way to spin and morph two really familiar fairy tales (Cinderella & Sleeping Beauty) into something new and interesting! The plot was compelling and the characters intriguing and (mostly) well drawn out - would definitely recommend this to people looking for fast paced fantasy or fairytale retellings!

The story is simple enough in theory: Bristal, an orphaned kitchen maid, finds out she has shape shifting powers. She also comes to realize that these powers mean she could b
Octavia
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-release, bea-16
I am thoroughly impressed with this one! The plot was strong, writing was entrancing , the characters were AH-MAZING. And above all, it was a retelling that didn't read like a traditional retelling and that is something I can get behind!

Full review to come soon!!
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review and others on my blog shades of paper

“She is clever, Bristal. But I hope you’re wise.”

It’s been a while since I finished this book and I still don’t know how I truly think about it. The thing is, I overall enjoyed a lot the story and everything, but I was in the middle of a reading slump, and sometimes I wasn’t really in the mood or was simply a bit bored, and I’m pretty sure this was one of the most important reasons why I ended up not loving this book.

I’ve been eye
Anna
3.5
What a charming little book.

It was neat. A well thought out book coming to a tidy conclusion with no strings left flapping around.
It was creative in how she weaved Bristal into different fairy tales, making a mark on many other people's lives, while the story of Bristal's life was wholly her own.
It's strange (in my experience anyway,) to find a fantasy book that is so short and not in a series, but I think in this case it was a good idea to keep it to one book. It showed that West's eyes were
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won this advanced reading copy from a website hosting a YA book giveaway. Very exciting! It took me awhile to finish due to May being the craziest month ever for me.
This book is told in Acts. Act 1 was *amazing* I couldn't ask for anything more from a YA fantasy. Strong world building, jumped right into the action, likable protagonist, interesting magic system.
Act 2 was not as good in comparison. The author introduced two storylines that were based on Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. I didn't
Whitley Birks
Aug 04, 2016 marked it as dnf
I'm just really not feeling this book. Mostly because of the villain. She's so hammy, and any attempts to make her 'grey' or give reason for her villitude are just clunky at best. Plus, carrying on about her amazing sexy looks while she's villaining is just...not my bag. The fantasy aspects and plot are nothing to write home about, and Bristal sacrifices having a personality for being an observer, so there's just really nothing holding me in this book.
Nidofito
Rating: 3.5/5

I had prepared a review yesterday in my mind and now I've forgotten it, but I think the gist of it was I found the story surprisingly enjoyable, particularly after a clunky start. The set up was a bit contrived and I was strongly against it, so much so that I wanted to DNF, but the temptation of the romance was too much and I'm really glad I stuck with it because the writing and story became smoother as the author settled into the fairy tales.

I am happy for the most part regarding t
Amy
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Elisa The-Bookie-Monster
DNF. Sounded interesting but I just couldn’t get into it. I usually give books 100 pages but I made it 150 and I just can’t do it. Maybe I’ll revisit in the future.
Portia
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. It was new and I like how there were so many references to other fairytales. :)

Review to come!
Cassi
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an absolutely fantastic read. It was the perfect combination of a fairy tale retelling and a epic fantasy. It was full of magic and adventure.

I'm not sure if I would call this a fairy tale retelling but it definitely had aspects of that. It is almost a love letter to the classic fairy tales that we know and love. It pulled from so many different stories similar to Once Upon a Time or Into the Woods. It rewrites those stories in an interesting way and intertwines them in a complex and c
Dorothy
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
MY FULL REVIEW IS ON MY BLOG! Check it out at http://dorothyrequina.wixsite.com/boo..., thanks! :)

I gave this book 4 stars, because though I flashed through the whole last 2/3 of the book, it was not without its flaws. I thought the magic system was created well and the imagery associated with the magic was so vivid. I like how elicromancers can all do some sort of basic magic like materializing and healing, but have an affinity for one specific special power. The allusions made to all the diffe
Kara
May 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I liked this book for a while, but I never really loved it. It started out okay, but chapter after chapter went by and it felt like nothing ever happened. It was all exposition and dialogue with no action or tension. I got bored.

I can't sit and read a book all the way through anymore (unless it's a REALLY intriguing book), so after putting it down and coming back later or the next day, I had forgotten a lot of what I had already read. And with this book that is a problem because there are so ma
Hannah West
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Here we go! Happy birthday, little book!

• The Wooden Prince (Out of Abaton #1)
  • Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
  • Dark Shimmer
  • Spinning Thorns
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Parental Parasite (Buffy: The High School Years, #3)
  • Clouded by Envy (Laith, #1)
  • The First Principle (Emancipation Warriors, #1)
  • Stone Field
  • No Good Deed
  • Snow White Learns Witchcraft: Stories and Poems
  • Witches in Wonderland (Wicked in Moonhaven #3)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Rise (Order of the Krigers, #1)
  • Stepsister
  • The Rat Prince
  • Winterdream
  • Shadow Chaser (Son of Angels, #3)
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
Hannah West is the author of The Nissera Chronicles. She's always loved writing about magic and fairytales, but her time studying abroad in Orléans, France inspired her to finally write and publish a fantasy novel. She's a freelance writer living in Texas with her husband and their rambunctious dogs.

The Nissera Chronicles (3 books)
  • Realm of Ruins (The Nissera Chronicles, #2)
  • Palace of Silver (The Nissera Chronicles, #3)