Start by marking “Don't Blink!” as Want to Read:
Don't Blink!

Don't Blink!

This interactive book may seem to be on your side, reluctant sleeper -- but it's truly a bedtime book in disguise!

Here's how it works: if you can avoid getting to the end of this book, you can avoid bedtime, simple as that. (It's a pretty sweet deal, actually.) But each time you blink, you have to turn a page. Those are just the rules. So whatever you do, DON'T BLINK!
Published April 3rd 2018 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Blink!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Blink!

Start your review of Don't Blink!
Calista
Cuteness overdrive

The nephew picked out this cute owl on the cover to read. He has these big eyes that draw you in. It’s a book for younger readers. It’s interactive. The premise is that if the kid doesn’t blink his eyes, then he doesn’t have to go to bed and can stay up, but each time they blink their eyes, you have to turn a page. It’s a cute premise.

Each page says something like don’t blink and then it gives suggestions to try. The nephew is so funny, he would say he’s not blinking as he is
KC
Funny, cute, and sweet bedtime tale. Don't blink or it's bedtime. ...more
☕️Kimberly
Don't Blink! written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by David Roberts shares a bedtime story that encourages the listener or reader to interact. This was a fun story that the Royals enjoyed. The story is narrated by a stuffed owl who tells the reader/listener that each time they blink they must turn the page. The book is primarily in black and white with a few colorful pages. The illutations are simple and comforting. The language and words are fun with talks of Holy Pillow Puffs and wig ...more
Gina
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The conceit of the book is that if you don't reach the end of the book you don't have to go to sleep, but every time you blink you turn the page closer to the end, hence the title.

I found it kind of irritating, but I was reading it to get through the story, not to get a child to bed. I concede that if you have a child who fights bedtime it might work, but it could also get said child more amped up.
Julie
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great for pajama storytime!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
An interactive story in which the reader is challenged to avoid blinking or pay the penalty by turning a page. Quite fun for bedtime. Great ending.
Isabel Smith
Ahhhhh! What a wonderful book with an ingenious idea! A little owl narrates this short and simple tale about trying to avoid bedtime. It turns into a little game because the owl challenges the reader to avoid finishing the book in order to avoid bedtime. Sounds pretty simple, right? You can just open the book and leave it lying there, duh! However, there is a catch: every time you blink, you've got to flip the page. So, eventually it's gonna be bedtime...but Don't Blink! makes getting there ...more
Amanda
I love Rosenthal's books. Period. I am yawning as I type this after I just finished reading Don't Blink! The curse of the bedtime book--it made ME sleepy. And now I have to get through all of the rest of today and tonight...OH MAN! May just have to make some MORE coffee. *sigh* ...more
La Coccinelle
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
So-called interactive picture books can be hit-or-miss for me. I've enjoyed some (like Don't Push the Button!), but there have been some others that just fell really flat. This one is kind of in the middle. It's not awful, but there's probably a group of people who shouldn't read the book at all: those with tics.

I've had tics since I was a child. They're very difficult to control. Sometimes, the power of suggestion is enough to set them off (which is one reason I don't like reading about people
Ruth Ann
Don't Blink! reminds me of I Dare You Not to Yawn.
Our owl narrator has plenty of orders for us to follow with some optical illusions to hopefully confuse us into sleepiness.
I found myself getting sleepy after reading several pages...my blinks getting slower and slower....
This fun and interactive book is sure to be a hit at pajama storytimes and at bedtime.
Rachel
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our goddaughters loved this book and I read it 3 times. It was SO much fun to read to them and wait until they blink, which wasn't hard. According to the 5 yr old, "I can't NOT blink!". I also enjoyed the "time travel" section. That was a funny addition. ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy a book that directly addresses the reader. The Monster at the End of this Book was an early and influential favorite.

Library copy
Mary Lee
You really need bedtime and a toddler in your lap to read this book.
Viviane Elbee
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable interactive bedtime book!

(One kid figured out the solution for not blinking pretty quickly, but still had a good laugh at the end.)
Barbara
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Because of its interactive nature, its design, and the cleverly-positioned text and illustrations, this picture book will surely be a hit with young readers. It disguises itself as providing advice for how to stay awake and not go to bed, but the hypnotic and relentless nature of all those reminders not to blink take a toll on readers, and the inevitable happens. The author suggests trying not to blink or staring, even holding open one's eyes or squinting, but still, the reader cannot help blink ...more
Aeicha
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's simple: if you don't want to go bed then DON'T BLINK! Because every time you blink, you have to turn another page of this charming and clever new interactive picture book from the late, great Amy Krouse Rosenthal.

We all know little ones rarely want to go to bed, but DON'T BLINK! will have them excited to settle in for the night! Rosenthal's witty, quirky text will amuse and delight young readers. And Roberts' cute, charismatic owl is the perfect nighttime companion. From staring, squinting,
Margie
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

We all know children are the last people to admit they are sleepy. Even if they can hardly sit or stand upright, they would rather give up dessert for a year than admit they are tired. They live life to the fullest and simply don't want to end any of their days. You have to love their energy and attitude, even if you long for them go to bed and fall asleep.

Give a child a game especially with a challenge and it's an invitation they can't refuse. DON'T BLINK! (Random House, April 3, 2018) written
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Don’t Blink by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by David Roberts. PICTURE BOOK. Random House, 2018. $18. 978-0385391870
Pre-K – ESSENTIAL.

The little owl on the pages doesn’t want to go to sleep, but every time you blink you have to turn a page. Maybe if you close both of your eyes you can’t blink and that will work just as well.
Robert’s super cute owl with the GIANT eyes that are desperately trying not to blink is a big seller for this bedtime book. A sure hit at least for parents at bedtime.

C
Serenity
*I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher through my district library services*

This is an adorable book. The premise is unique (every time you blink you have to turn the page), and the illustrations support the text well. This will make a very fun lap read before bed, and my middle schooler read it several times, so apparently it has older kid appeal, as well :).
Tricia
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What an adorable picture book! All you have to do is not blink and you'll never finish the book, essentially putting off bedtime forever! Whoops! I blinked!

With optical illusions, tips and tricks to keep from blinking, and some nice end pages where we try to cheat the book by just closing our eyes and thinking about our day, this book is the perfect bedtime companion!
Peacegal
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
An interactive story in which a wide-eyed owl uses reverse psychology to lure kids to sleep. The hip illustrations were a lot of fun.
Katie
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, bedtime
SO CUTE!
Similar to "The Monster at the End of this Book" but with blinking and bedtime. A great read aloud for pajama story time. ...more
Elizabeth  Chang

Shelves: picture
Very cute!
Jaime
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cutest owl ever tries not to blink. Cute book.
Katie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bedtime book- doesn't work for storytime. ...more
Panda Lopez
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best bedtime book we’ve ever read!! Our new favorite library book!
Emily
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another interactive title, this one challenging the reader not to blink, because "If you can avoid getting to the end of this book, you can avoid bedtime." Each blink is a page turn, so if you don't blink, you won't get to the end, and bedtime can be postponed forever. But it's harder than it seems.... ...more
Danielle Hammelef
Clever and fun bedtime book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Snail Crossing
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)
  • You Matter
  • The Scarecrow
  • Ronan the Librarian
  • The Wall in the Middle of the Book

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o