Start by marking “Sacrifice (Serpentine #2)” as Want to Read:
Sacrifice (Serpentine #2)

Sacrifice

(Serpentine #2)

Sacrifice, the sequel to Serpentine, plunges Skybright into the terrifying underworld where demons are bred and whisks her up to the magnificent Mountain of Heavenly Peace where the gods dwell.

Stone is stripped of his immortal status and told to close hell's breach, which mysteriously remains open, threatening mortals.

Zhen Ni, Skybright's former mistress and friend, has
Paperback
Published September 27th 2016 by Month9Books

To ask other readers questions about Sacrifice, please sign up.
Recent Questions

Start your review of Sacrifice (Serpentine #2)
Amerie
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-faves
Falling back into this lush fantasy world was such a pleasure. The characters grow so much in their own ways, they are virtually different people from the beginning of SERPENTINE to the end of SACRIFICE. Like real people, they changed through their experiences--sometimes drastically. From the rich setting to the delicious food to the sweet yet painful friendships and romance, it was wonderful to get lost in Ms. Pon's world. More, please.
Rana
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes, yes! I loved this story. Loved the characters and the story and the world-building. 10 out of 10 demons; would recommend.
Kells Next Read
Cindy Pon has outdone herself in this sequel. When i thought this world, characters and storyline couldn't get better...Boom!! Here comes Sacrifice and it has utterly obliterated any coherent thoughts and feeling that I might have had. This book was Amazing, Creepy, hearth recking and Breathtaking. The character development was seamless and well paced. Each character coming into their own graciously. The storyline itself was filled with so many twist and turns that I couldn't put it down. Even t ...more
Glaiza
I love that this story revolves around Skybright and Zhen Ni's friendship. I appreciated how all of the main characters grew, changed and matured while they were on their separate adventures. So true to life.

The tension between the gods, immortals, demons and humans was handled so well.

On monsters: Blossom, the demonic toddler is frightening. Seriously.

This is a great adventure that closes on a strong note.
Full review to come.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
So flipping good!!!!! I can't wait for everyone to read this!!
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
My second favorite book of 2017. The way I see it, author Cindy Pon can do no wrong. She writes the type of heroines I fiend for: strong and resourceful. Skybright was amazing. And no slut shaming. She was allowed to be sexual without guilt - something that seldom happens with book heroines. While normally I'm not a fan of that dratted "love triangle", this one didn't get in the way and it felt realistic considering that first love Kai Sen struggled to accept Skybright's half demonic nature.
Amy!
This was a great conclusion to the Serpentine duology. I really enjoyed revisiting Skybright and her world, and it's wonderful to read a fantasy so well-rooted in Chinese folklore. I definitely need to remember to recommend this more often.
Claire
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great world and characters, I will definitely be looking for more by this author.
Samantha
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh! *internally screaming*

Sacrifice picks up right where Serpentine left off. Skybright is adjusting to her life with Stone when they both discover there is a new breach to the underworld and they must do everything in their power to stop it.

Kai Sen continues his training with the monks and is determined to get Skybright back, but he soon discovers the strange re-occurrence of demons. All the while, Zhen Ni knows there’s something off with her new husband who wants nothing t
John
***Disclosure: I received a free copy in exchange for a review.***

What’s Good: Picks up right where Serpentine left off, so you’re right back in the thick of things from the jump. Which also means you really need to have read the first book to fully grasp what’s happening.

Initially I was drawn to the series because it wasn’t the same old- diversity’s a strong selling point to me, and a YA novel based upon Chinese mythology & culture was irresistable. While I’d like to
Melani
Sacrifice is the follow up to Serpentine, and it’s a nice continuation of the story. It’s an enjoyable story, and the setting is unique and well developed.

I'm annoyed that the focus of the story shifted from the friendship between Zhen Ni and Skybright to a love triangle between Skybright, Stone, and Kai Sen. One of the things I really liked about the first novel was the depiction of female friendship, so to see that shifted in favor of romance was irritating. I don’t generally mind love triang
Liz Freed
Love it. Quick read - so engaging and hard to put down. Pon's work always entrances me: short powerful descriptions; earthy characters; and a twisty and intense plot.

I loved that this series was intersectional. An Asian fantasy with queer characters and strong female friendship at its center. It's rare, but more true to life, to find all in one.
Anna
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Loved some of the expanded mythology in this as well as how this was creepier than the first. Felt a little disconnected from some of the characters though which made it hard to feel much for them. Skybright's growth and Stone's background were well done though.
Adrienne
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-new, type-ebook
Lepus Domesticus
This book was considerably better-written than Serpentine, but the story conclusion was much less satisfying, though not enough for me to want to make it a three-star review.

I have mixed feelings about this book, because my reading is colored by my great dissatisfaction with the ending. This book has 3 PsOV. In the beginning it felt a little disjointed, included one POV switch that I strongly felt was in absolutely the wrong place and ended up reading out of order, but by the mid-point of the b
ElizzyBC
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amy K.
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The worldbuilding and details thereof is as lush and delicious as in the first book, but it's the character development that really shines, particularly for the way that Pon allows for the organic maturation and growth of all of the characters and not just Skybright, our heroine. Kai Sen, Stone, Zhen Li--they all learn some hard lessons about growing up, about the titular subject (sacrifice), and about the depths and costs of love. This book is beautifully written, with compelling characters and ...more
Marc
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Much better than the first novel as Pos added more POV to the story. I wanted more from this story, from the character and from this world. Parts felt focus, and others draw out. At the end of the day this story is quite simple like the first one, but added a little depth into the relation of the characters, but there is room for more. The ending was beautiful. I saw a lot of potential and for the most part it could have been more

3.75 out of 5 scales.

Jesheckah
While the first book in this series showed a lot of promise, the writing in the sequel fell flat. Still relying too much on culture and surprise interactions in place of a plot, the book is just not that appealing.

The characters undergo almost no change, and some of the best ones are simply left in the dust.

Overall I wouldn't read it again.
Carter Llewellyn
Takes the great elements that the first novel slowly builds to and jumps right in, further expanding the world and sorts of monsters and magic found around it. Wish there were more books about Skybright.
Jennifer Linsky
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a delightful book! Such wonderful characters! Oh, how I want more!

(Minor dissatisfaction: I kept expecting Skybright to learn how to retain her dress when she shifted!)
Beatrice
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This was a truly excellent read. An improvement on the first, which was good but not nearly so gripping. I’ll definitely be buying both for my young nieces on the strength of this one.
Jess
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one. I loved the concept and characters. Great sequel.
Shimona Hirchberg
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
so so good where is the next onee
Stephanie
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kendra
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy, mythology
Shelves: btb-2018
Blossom is a very interesting character. I think I like her.
SR
The plot and action are solid; the personal development of the characters is somewhat flat and sometimes seems hollow. Still glad I read the duology.
Riska Sleepless
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like some of the developments but overall this was a very good sequel.
Alana
I liked this MUCH better than Serpentine, because there was actually a plot.

Chris
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying (though emotional) end to Skybright and the gang's story. Sacrifice felt more mature than Serpentine. Reality hit them suddenly and very hard in Serpentine. In Sacrifice they had to grow up immediately. I enjoyed their perilous journey, their growth and evolution as individuals, and the collective growth of their interpersonal relationships. A beautiful and vividly depicted world with complex, nuanced and likeable characters. Great duology. I'd definitely recommend.

• The Edge of the Abyss (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #2)
  • Empress of All Seasons
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Eona: The Last Dragoneye (Eon, #2)
  • The Tattooed Duchess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #2)
  • A Painted Goddess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #3)
  • Monster Empire
  • The Queen of Sorrow (The Queens of Renthia, #3)
  • The Artemis Fowl Files
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • Ink Mage (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #1)
  • Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
  • Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
  • John Tyler, the Accidental President
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
  • An Unseen Attraction (Sins of the Cities, #1)
  • Blake: or; The Huts of America
  • Warrior of the Altaii
Cindy Pon is the author of Silver Phoenix (Greenwillow), which was named one of the Top Ten Fantasy and Science Fiction Books for Youth by the American Library Association’s Booklist, and one of 2009′s best Fantasy, Science Fiction and Horror by VOYA. Her most recent duology Serpentine and Sacrifice (Month9Books) were both Junior Library Guild selections and received starred reviews from Kirkus an ...more

Serpentine (2 books)
  • Serpentine (Serpentine, #1)