Start by marking “Art Parts: A Child's Introduction to the Elements of Art” as Want to Read:
Art Parts: A Child's Introduction to the Elements of Art

Art Parts: A Child's Introduction to the Elements of Art

Using simple text and children's art, Art Parts introduces children to 6 elements of art. Designed for children between the ages of 3 and 8, it includes blank pages after each element where children can experiment with the concepts of line, color, shape, texture, space, and emotion.

These blank pages allow children to personalize the book while making it a keepsake to tre
Hardcover, First, 34 pages
Published April 1st 2016 by Words Reflected

To ask other readers questions about Art Parts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Parts

Start your review of Art Parts: A Child's Introduction to the Elements of Art
Whispering Stories
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Art Parts is a creative, educational book for children. Most children love drawing (I say most as my youngest two hated it), but the techniques they use in their drawing often goes unnoticed.

This book is all about getting the children to open their imagination and learn about the six different elements of art.

This is done by showing the children other kids’ pictures and the type of art that they have used, then getting the child who is reading the book to draw their own p
Ashley
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the idea of Art Parts. It is so good for children to see that there are many different elements that come together to make art. I also really enjoyed the fact that every other page has space for a child to try out the element that was shared. I did struggle with the fact that there wasn't an explanation for each element. Some of the pictures did not clearly differentiate between the different styles and so it was hard for the children to clearly see what the author was expressing. A littl ...more
Deana Metzke
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: homeschoolers; parents of young children
My two kids (8 and 6) and I read this book together and completed the activities. This book introduces kids to the different parts of art, lines, shapes, and the like. We had a great time and you can read about our experience reading it together here: https://raisingreaderssite.wordpress....

*I did receive a free copy of the book and the journals in exchange for an honest review.
Nancy
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Let's start with the good parts. I think the idea of an art book for kids is fantastic. Art and creativity are so important for so many reasons - self expression, understanding our world as we see it and as others see and experience it, beauty and so forth. Opening this world to the young or young of heart with such a simple, easy-to-grasp introduction can form a good foundation for understanding, viewing, creating and interpreting. I believe the notes/recommendations to parents at the end of th ...more
Anne-Marie
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I gave this to my daughter. She loves drawing and really enjoyed the book.
Tonja Drecker
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kids and art seem to go hand in hand--at least, my kids have always loved to draw, color, sketch and paste until they've used every piece of blank paper they can find in the house.

This book is a celebration of exactly that. Through simple themes, kids are introduced to the basics of art. The wording is easy enough for even the youngest artists to understand, and it encourages them to try their hand at making art as well. After each basic structure is introduced, a blank page awaits f
KarnagesMistress
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all families with pre-school-age children
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. It is autographed. I am excited to pass this book along to my niece. I had a similar book when I was her age, but it was not as good as this book. Art Parts is very sturdily put together, hardbound with glossy pages, so that the book will be a keepsake. The illustrations are artworks in a variety of mediums created by actual children-- and they aren't perfect! This is my favorite part of the book: it's not intimidating. With my book, whe ...more
Suzie Johnson
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book easy to read and easy to present to a group of young children and children with fine motor skill challenges. It was short and offered an appropriate amount of detail to keep the children engaged in learning about art. The visual pictures and descriptive display of the six elements enabled the ability to connect the elements to the art the children created. The children and I completed a week long activity stemming from this book by making their own "Art Parts" book. I collected ...more
BewareTheWildAnimals
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a giveaway from the author through Goodreads.
This book is exactly what it is explained to be in the description. It is not a very long book and is very simple - which makes it perfect for the ages of 3 to 8yrs. It is wonderful to have the simplified explanation of each technique followed by the space for the child to use that technique on their own. At the same time, this makes the book a personal copy to the child and probably not as enjoyable for a second reader.
The b
Missus B's  Picture Book Reviews
'Art Parts' introduces children to the elements of art - lines, shapes, colour, texture, space and feelings. The book is a mix of drawings by children, samples to demonstrate art elements and blank pages which invite children to express their own artistic ideas. Perfect as a gift or keepsake, the book is also a valuable share in a group setting . Click on my blog link to read more and see my little artists in action....
Gayle
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a good book to get children interested in Art. The book breaks down Art into parts such as shapes, colors, textures, etc. As the book explains those it has a blank page that lets children try their hand at what was just explained to them on the preceding page. At the end it leads them to use their imagination by combining all the items given to them. This is a book that should help children to come up with their own ideas and help them to enjoy Art.
I got this book in a Goodreads gi
Nadine
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Art Parts is an excellent short book to introduce art concepts to youngsters. On the blank pages where a child is to draw, I'm going to do something a bit archival-have a child draw on a piece of paper that can be put on the book for that given concept repeatedly at 4 year intervals or so to show artistic growth resulting in a wonderful keepsake.
I received a copy of the book for review from the author through the Goodreads giveaway program.
Sian
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great little book for introducing children to the elements of art. Introduces a topic, explains in pictures and then provides space for a child to practice the skill.
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.
Raven
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Super cute book! Thank you Goodreads for the wonderful contests. I really enjoyed winning this one.
Sharron
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway. My 5 year old grand daughter loves it.
Wayne
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
this was a goodreads.com free book... a great little art book for children .
Deria Stevens
Seanna Yeager

• Dance of Death: The Life of John Fahey, American Guitarist
  • Hellraisers: A Complete Visual History of Heavy Metal Mayhem
  • Grant & I: Inside and Outside the Go-Betweens
  • No Slam Dancing, No Stage Diving, No Spikes: An Oral History of the Legendary City Gardens
  • Caravaggio: Painter of Miracles
  • Is This Guy For Real?: The Unbelievable Andy Kaufman
  • Talking Back, Talking Black: Truths About America's Lingua Franca
  • Craft Coffee: A Manual: Brewing a Better Cup at Home
  • The Revolution of Robert Kennedy: From Power to Protest After JFK
  • David Lynch: The Man from Another Place
  • Don't Shoot: One Man, A Street Fellowship, and the End of Violence in Inner-City America
  • Omoo: A Narrative of Adventures in the South Seas