Start by marking “Orchids” as Want to Read:
Orchids

Orchids

Orchids features beautiful photographs that bring the beauty and appeal of orchids to life. In addition to introducing children to the diversity of orchids, this book introduces simple science concepts. Developed for children between the ages of 2 and 8, the concepts in this books include opposites, diversity, pollination, and symmetry.

This book includes a page with idea
Hardcover, First
Published April 2016 by Words Reflected

To ask other readers questions about Orchids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orchids

Start your review of Orchids
Josh Caporale
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Orchids is a work aimed toward children that does an outstanding job teaching children about these plants and encourages parents and/or teachers to go beyond this book in encouraging learners to dig deeper into their knowledge about science and nature. The photography used in this book was spot on and I feel that, for the most part, young readers can get something out of the visuals and with how the information was presented to them. My slight criticisms have to do with the question of "how do w ...more
Ashley
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Orchids was a beautiful little book that explains the uniqueness of an orchid in an easy to understand way for children. It captures their interest with its beautiful pictures and adds rich language that is great for parents to help expand vocabulary. Kim Bogren Owen does a great job of including parent and child activities at the end of her books to expand upon what they are reading. One thing I would like to have seen added was a glossary at the end of the book explaining certain words like po ...more
Trina McDowell
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Other than some nice pic's there is not much to this book!
Whispering Stories
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Orchids is a lovely, short book aimed at young children. The idea behind the book is to show the children that there are lots of different kinds of orchids across the world, just like there are lots of different kinds of people across the world.

I’m not much of a flower lover, hence my garden has concrete flags, not flowers. However, I do happen to have one flower in my home, an orchid, bought by my children some years back for Mothers Day. I always presumed that all orchids looked al
Tonja Drecker
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not being a guru on orchids myself, I wondered how a book could take a topic, which seems so specific, and present it in a way kids would enjoy. Now, I know.

Orchids are as varied as fish in the sea, and the pictures and text in this book prove it. Young readers are shown through lovely examples, exactly how special and different orchids can be. It might sound like a technical thing, but the author does a marvelous job bring the flowers to life in a way kids will not only understand,
Connie
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful little book. It contains interesting information about orchids and the pictures are wonderful. Even though it was written for a younger audience, I still enjoyed it.
Keri
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do you have that child that is very curious, or always asking questions about scientific processes? Do you have a child that is fascinated at flowers and gardening? This book is well written and a perfect explanative on Orchids. With the help of rhyming words and fantastic photos this writer did a fantastic job with this book! It is very informative, even for older kids!!! It helps in answering all of their questions concerning Orchids and their entire process!! Kim Bogren Owen leaves the reader wit ...more
Hazel
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

This is a sweet little book; it would be nice to sit and read it with young children to help get them interested in gardening and nature. The photos are of a good quality.

The reason I've knocked it down to three stars rather than four is that I can't quite understand who the target audience is. I started off thinking it was very young children, but then some of the vocabulary is totally out-there for young children. The
Sinead
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Thank you to Goodreads Giveaway for this book
Can I start by saying that I am not a gardener and I am petrified of Orchids - my mother-in-law, however, is not. She loved this book as it got her some reading time with my stepson Max. She is a huge collector of Orchids and loves up keeping them so to be able to show them and the book to Max made her day. The illustrations/images and the wording were simple enough for max to follow and he had great fun pointing out the similarities between tho
John Crone
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book which was more than just a book about flowers!! I was fortunate to win this on Goodreads and after my son read it I in turn took over. Lots of learning for both young and old in an easy to understand format with lots of cool images. Worth a read and as the old adage says don't just judge a book by its cover.
Lara
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Received a signed copy as part of a giveaway. The photos were beautiful and I liked the extra activities for children included at the end. I had planned to gift this book to my niece, 2, and my nephew, 4, for Christmas, however, I think they would understand and enjoy it more if they were a little older.
Rita Evans
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this book, "Orchids" by Kim Bogren Owen, in a Good Reads giveaway. I received this book today and was thrilled with it.

It is a good book for any young buding (pune intended) gardner. I loved it and am excited to give it to my great granddaughter who is not quite two and is already appreciating flowers.
Zed
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
The photographs and words complement each other nicely to introduce children to the beauty and wonder of orchids. It's an informative little book that encourages children to explore more about flowers and nature. The photographs are beautiful.

*I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways*
Billie
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful children's book with beautiful photographs of orchids on each page. It starts out with simple sentences and becomes more complex half way through. I think it would be more for ages six to eight. There are suggestions in the back for activities that parents can do with their child. I received this book free through Goodreads Giveaways.
John
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It has beautiful pictures of orchids, which I love. This would be a great book to read to a child. It's a short book with mostly pictures, but the wording in this book is simple and direct.
Brian
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
Legal stuff: I won a copy of this book via a Goodreads giveaway.

This is cute little learning picture book. I will be giving it to my granddaughters so they can learn about flowers and other cool adventures.
Bree Baker Andreen
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very informative for children! The pictures in this book are wonderful and colorful. The activities on the last page for parents is a great idea to help our children learn a little more as well as vocabulary, math, and concepts!
Charlotte Serrano
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The pictures are wonderful, colorful.
Lisa Rogers
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stunning pictures of many different kinds of orchids. The color and dimension is so eye-catching. Very simple text is wonderful for young readers.
Susie Spizzirro
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone with children
Recommended to Susie by: i won this book on Goodreads
Orchids by Kim Bogren Owen, A wonderful book for children. Beautiful flowers.
Kristina
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful pictures! I love how the simple writing clearly shows how orchids are the same but different and love the activities page at the end. Great children's book!
Apuca