Start by marking “Mer-Charmer (World of Aluvia, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mer-Charmer (World of Aluvia, #2)

Mer-Charmer

(World of Aluvia #2)

Fourteen-year-old Phoebe Quinn is surrounded by magic, but she can’t muster any of her own. Her sister is a fairy keeper. Her best friends are merfolk. And all she does is dishes and housework.

When Phoebe finds out a terrible sea creature is awakening that preys upon the peace-loving merfolk, she becomes determined to help them, even though it means going with Tristan and
Published May 9th 2016 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Mer-Charmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mer-Charmer

Start your review of Mer-Charmer (World of Aluvia, #2)
Ben Alderson
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was so lovely entering the world of Aluvia again, I loved this upper middle grade series which i read the first book, Fairy Keeper, but this one really took me on many an emotional journey.
One thing you need to know about me is i am obsessed with Mer people. When i was younger i literally used to swim in the sea, go underwater and call out for them......... they never came, i am guessing i didn't shout load enough, right?

This story was an adventure filled with magic, friendship, underwater s
Jerecho
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This book is better than the first book of the series.

Phoebe Quinn, sister of the fairy keeper Sierra, and best friend to the twin Merfolk, Tristan and Mina, a girl surrounded by magic yet she has no magic at all. Until she discovered monsters preying to the peace loving Merfolk .

A story of friendship, love, respect, adventure, disobedience, bravery, promises and sacrifice. A community of peace that are trigger to fight. Believing that the magic they no longer posses will never come back. And su
Joana V.
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've received this book in exchange for a honest review

3.5*
Full review: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2016/...
Review in Portuguese: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2016/...

The first book of this series wasn’t extraordinary, but it left me wanting to know what would happen in the second book. And I’m glad I did read it, because this book was better than the first one.
(...)

If you read the first book, you know that Sierra’s boyfriend, the faun Micah, can smell certain fragrances that distinguish
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Phoebe's sister is the Fairy Keeper from the first book in the series, and she's ever so slightly disappointed in the world for she doesn't have any magical powers of herself (I guess you already know what is going to happen at this point). Although her sister tells her to stay away from the coast, she must takes measures when she finds a mutilated mer-folk corpse one day.

Despite there being a lot of things that were rather predictable,
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Welcome back to Aluvia! We return four years later to adventure with Phoebe as she finds her voice in the sea. Bearce presents us with another beautifully written fantasy novel, featuring adventure, action, and romance, presented appropriately for middle grade readers. Like Sierra in book 1 (Fairy Keeper), Phoebe is a strong female protagonist in a fantasy story, which is a refreshing and much needed departure from a market over-saturated with dystopian novels. Highly recommended for classroom a ...more
Adele
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A huge Thank-You to Curiosity Quills for giving me a copy of Mer-Charmer by Amy Bearce, in exchange for an honest review.

Mer-Charmer is the second book in the World of Aluvia trilogy.

Prior to my actually reading Mer-Charmer, I expected that Mer-Charmer would be told in Sierra’s point of view. While I was disappointed that Mer-Charmer isn’t told in Sierra’s point of view, I was happy that Phoebe gets her own story in Mer-Charmer.

I was honestly so confused when I first started reading Mer-Char
Sam
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Curiosity Quills for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review!

Last year, I also read the first book in the World of Aluvia series,  Fairy Keeper .

Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, but I didn't like this one as much as the first one. I still enjoyed it, it just took me longer than it should have to finish.

What I liked:

-the plot. It has a bit of a The Little Mermaid vibe except in reverse. Phoebe, who was rescued by merfolk at the end of Fairy Keeper, spends a lot
Jonathan
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read fantasy in order to be swept up in another world. The underwater world the author has created is dangerous and beautiful. I was so involved with the story that my eyes teared up a few times from the excitement of it all. I really loved how the character transformed throughout the story and it had very touching ending. Goosebumps and tears. I loved seeing how Phoebe grew up from the child she was in Fairy Keeper, the first book in the World of Aluvia series. The bonus chapter at the end ha ...more
Shannon Barrett
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh man - this series is getting good!

I really love the relationship between Phoebe and Sierra. Amy Bearce does a really great job of capturing the mixture of care and frustration between the two sisters. It feels very authentic.

I also really appreciate how the romance is handled. Young teenagers can and do fall in love but most people don't find their "happily-ever-after" with their junior high sweetheart. I always find it a bit strange when YA or Middle grade books have their main characters
Monica
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book 2 in the series and Phoebe's story. I loved this even better than book 1. Its been 4 years and the horrors of her time with Bentwood still haunt her and give her nightmares. The only thing that helps is her time at the sea with her merfolk friends Tristan and Mina. Her sister Sierra is always leaving to take care of her fairies and of course there are those who try and continue to make Flight when they arent supposed to. Phoebe understands this but she's still hurt that her sister i ...more
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
I actually enjoyed this one better then the first one. It a great young adult adventure fantasy with a little romance as well. I enjoyed learning about the mermaids and seeing more of this new fantasy world of magic.
Nay Denise
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
Received a review copy from the publisher in exchange of an honest review.

Mer-Charmer was a pretty good sequel to Fairy Keeper. This focuses on Phoebe Quinn 4 years after the horrific events she faced after her father gave her away to Bentwood. This was pretty cool story, it did lack some details here and there, but it was beautifully written. The world of Aluvia is absolutely fascinating to me.

Phoebe Quinn is now fourteen years old and lives with her sister and Micah. She has felt trapped ever
Adrienne Leyland
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ok I know I'm not a teen or tween, but adults enjoy fantasy/YA reads too! While I certainly didn't expect another Harry Potter, I was expecting something a bit, well, interesting. This read like a story for a six year old. It just didn't capture my imagination or interest at all...at all at all. The only thing I enjoyed was the name of the child mer-folk being called seawees...but that's it. Very typical teen angst story, young girl falls for boy she cannot have, evil entity endangers mermaids, ...more
Carol
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved Fairy Keeper, the first book in the Aluvia series by Amy Bearce. And I’m thrilled to say Mer-Charmer lived up to my hopes and expectations as the second book in the series. Phoebe is a sweet girl who doesn’t feel special at all. She’s surrounded by magical creatures in a world where everyone (but Phoebe) seems to have an important mission. But when Phoebe discovers her merfolk friends, Tristan and Mia, are in danger from an awakened sea wraith, her own adventure finally begins.

Mer-Charm
Pauline
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mer-Charmer is a fantastic book.

Picking up the story of two sisters, we leave Sierra, the Fairy Keeper, to follow Phoebe, the younger of the two sisters, four years after the events which saw Sierra find her own destiny and love.

Phoebe, tired of staying home, finally gets to discover more about herself, why she has not been able to see more of her friends and a lot more about life beneath the waves.

This book has an excellent pace, a beautifully crafted story, that will have you turning pages,
Margoe Littlepants
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was not for me. I got it in a Lit-cube and I assumed it was a YA novel. This book is definitely meant for pre-teens, but it's short enough that I finished it anyway. I think a pre-teen girl would probably enjoy this story, but I really can't recommend it for anyone over the age of 12 or 13.
Caitlin Jones
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun read from Amy Bearce! I really love the world of Aluvia, and this return was really magnificent! Phoebe acts as an engaging lead, bringing us closer to the merfolk and magic that reside in Aluvia's underwater lands. Crisp writing, fun pacing, and a great villain; definitely worth the read!
Gina Basham
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it

I enjoyed it but was a little disappointed with the ending. I felt like it ended abruptly and I wanted a different outcome. Still enjoyed it and it is great YA. I can recommend. Gbash
Shauna Passic
Jan 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
It is not that the book was horribly written, it just didn't hold my interest. I found myself just wanting to finish the story to move onto a different book.
Jess
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it

Let it be known that I received this book in a subscription box without having read the initial entry in this series so my review is completely untainted by precedents and pre-determined thoughts.

I am very picky when it comes to my fantasy-based reads. It has to WOW me on so many levels that I get lost. This book pleasantly surprised me! Aluvia is a wondrous place - a place brimming with Merfolk who maintain as much depth as the sea in which they swim. There's adventure, action, and even a littl
Kriselda Gray
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book at no cost from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The second installment in the World of Aluvia takes place 4 years after "Fairy Keeper" and focuses on Phoebe Quinn, the younger sister of "Fairy Keeper's" main character, Sierra Quinn. As the story opens, Phoebe has largely recovered from the ordeal she underwent in the previous book, but not entirely, and has found a great deal of comfort hanging out under the sea with her Mer friends, Tristan and his
Kat
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it

Amy Bearce does a great job in creating such fun magical realms for her characters to explore. As you may remember from Book 1, Fairy Keeper, we were introduced to the merfolks during the climatic ending and the daring rescue performed for the girls.

But this isn't a book told from Sierra's perspective. Nope, this series continues four years after the release of the fairy's slavery and is told from Sierra's sister, Phoebe.

I will say that the author does a great job in creating a different feel to
Angelina Kerner
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: Mer-Charmer
Book Author: Amy Bearce
Rating: 5 stars

I didn’t know what to expect with book 2 which was part of the fun. This is about Sierra’s sister. Sierra is a fairy keeper and Phoebe feels jealous that she was dealt the card without magic. However, things change for her after she turns 14. This book is happening 4 years after the end of Sierra’s story and it was very beautifully written. I loved the scenery of the sea and the emotions that all characters have depicted.

I’m actually a
Melleny
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review will be available 15/06

If you would like to see all my thoughts on this book, be sure to check out the review on my blog:

www.abooktropolis01.blogspot.co.za

But here is a snippet and overview of what I thought:

Overall, this book was way better than the first book. The writing, the plot and the characters were just great. I love seeing where this series is going and can't wait for the next book. I think it is going to be one hell of a ride if I look at all the progress that has been made bet
Michelle Odland
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Fairy Keeper so I was thrilled to continue on the journey and read Phoebe’s story. And it was certainly as magical as I expected. What I think I loved the most about this book is the love that Phoebe holds. She has this beautiful innocent romantic love for Triston, her sisterly love for both Sienna and Mina and her overall love for the sea and her mermaid friends. Phoebe is a character of grit and perseverance. This book had plenty of action and intriguing enemies as the magic shifted to ...more
Brandy Mulder
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The return to Aluvia is just as great as the beginning. Phoebe is smothered by her sister's over protective actions. Her one escape is the sea. When she is threatened by her sister's enemies she joins her mer friends under the waves to hide but finds a bigger danger. Phoebe must make a choice, her sister or her friends? Just like with the first book the world building is excellent, I could picture everything so clearly, and the danger had me on the edge of my seat. No adult content, but she does ...more
Ola Adamska
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2018
This is not what I expected. And I was happy about that!
Time moves four years forward. Phoebe is now fourteen years old. What will come from her friendship with Mers?
This book was a great YA read that will be some kind of coming of age read that got me on a great IMAGINATIVE journey that was a great break from real life. I need MORE books like that!
Elaina Myers
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent tale!

In this second book, it is four years after the events of the first book and it is Phoebe's turn to do what she can to aid the world of Aluvia to heal. Well written and engaging story. :)
Nicole Warner
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the story, the way it intertwined into Fairy Keeper. There was more depth added to the characters from the 1st book. Just like the last portion of Fairy Keeper when they started the trickle of mermaids, they trickled in the dragons for the third book.
Jill
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book takes place 4 years after the first one and Phoebe is still scarred from being held prisoner in the first book. On top of dealing with that she also feels useless and inferior to her older sister. However, that is all about to change!!! Phoebe has a connection to the merfolk!!!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Confessions of an English Opium Eater
  • Honeydukes: A Scratch & Sniff Adventure (Harry Potter)
  • The Postmistress
  • Allison and the Torrid Tea Party (Harem of Hearts #2)
  • Cook This, Not That!: Skinny Comfort Foods
  • Allison's Adventures in Underland (Harem of Hearts #1)
  • Permanent Record
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles, #3)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • Under the Table
  • Trick (Foolish Kingdoms, #1)
  • Thirteenth Child (Frontier Magic, #1)
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • Blood Laws (Immortal Curse #1)
  • Debbie Macomber Collection Rose Harbor 5 Books Set (The Inn at Rose Harbor, Rose Harbor in Bloom, Love Letters, Silver Linings, Sweet Tomorrows)
  • Guest: A Changeling Tale
Amy writes magical escapes for young readers and the young at heart. She is the author of the World of Aluvia series, SHORTCUTS, and PARIS ON REPEAT (Jolly Fish Press, July 2020.) She is also a former reading teacher and school librarian.

As an Army kid, she moved eight times before she was eighteen, so she feels especially fortunate to be married to her high school sweetheart. Together they’re rai

World of Aluvia (3 books)
  • Fairy Keeper (World of Aluvia, #1)
  • Dragon Redeemer (World of Aluvia, #3)