Start by marking “Building Maintainable Software” as Want to Read:
Building Maintainable Software

Building Maintainable Software

Have you ever felt frustrated working with someone else's code? Difficult-to-maintain source code is a big problem in software development today, leading to costly delays and defects. Be part of the solution. With this practical book, you'll learn 10 easy-to-follow guidelines for delivering software that's easy to maintain and adapt. These guidelines have been derived from ...more
Published December 11th 2015 by O'Reilly Media Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Building Maintainable Software, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building Maintainable Software

Stefanos
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read this book carefully twice. The presented guidelines may be exceedingly strict some times, but overall I found them very helpful while refactoring and I actually found myself implementing several of these good practices right away. I haven't read anything else on this particular subject, but I would easily recommend this book not only to juniors but to experienced developers as well.

Examples of exceedingly strict guidelines:
- What do they mean by "there is never a good reason for code
Johnny Graber
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 10 guidelines explained in this book can help you to massively improve the quality and maintainability of your code. Reading it is definitely time well spend. I hope the C# edition will be as good as the Java one.
Peter Wretmo
Mostly deals with easy to measure things like number of lines of code in a method, number of branches, number of parameters and so on. It does not deal with design patterns or how to write good object-oriented software, which I believe is much more important and fundamental for software to become maintainable. The guidelines that the book cover is not bad or wrong, but they are not the key to writing maintainable future-proof code as the book claims. By following design patterns and not least, d ...more
Boris
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Опытный разработчик скорее всего уже знает и применяет все советы, которые представлены в этой книге. Реальный полезный объем книги можно было бы уместить на десяти страницах. Некоторые разделы книги мне показались странными (если не сказать бесполезными). Например в конце каждой главы представлены диаграммы соответствия метрикам для трех разных систем. Зачем они мне? Какой в них полезный смысл? Раздел доводов против полезных принципов видится весьма надуманным. Компетентный разработчик все и та ...more
Remco
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Short overview for new programmers. It was written for those who came to the profession without an education in the field. Lists some common subjects like keeping units short, with examples in Java and rebuts common reasons people have no to eat their vegetables.

It doesn't really have much new to offer over classics in the field like Refactoring, Code Complete, Clean Code or The Pragmatic Programmer, but it's short and focused.
Milton Damian Lopez
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: software
This book is clearly aimed at newcomers to the field.
It contains some interesting statistics about quality in real world software projects.
Had I not read Uncle Bob, Fowler and others, I might have found this book valuable, but if you already have experience with those authors, this book has little to offer you.
Andrey
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good enoough. Examples based on real systems are awesome. But most part of book are just reusing of Martin Fowler's "Refactoring..." which is more robust i guess. So for those who read "Refactoring" i can't strongly recommend it
Betty
A recipe book with some glimpses of good advice, common sense and "we had data so we ran some analytics". Software quality is a more complicated topic than this (a disclaimer the authors readily make).
Pavel Karasov
Вначале более менее полезные советы
А дальше больше теоретические умозаключения + реклама своей компаний
Более менее проходная книга
Andriy Zabolotnyy
A book every programmer should read.
_
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
A very good book that states in a simple 10-rule structure the great vision of software development.
Jacob
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a nice review of many good software development practices found in other books, but I didn't really learn much new information despite this being published several years after some classics (Bob Martin's "Clean Code", Steve McConnell's "Code Complete", and Martin Fowler's "Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code"). One thing that I did find interesting was seeing the statistics and details of how SIG actually quantifies code quality and correlates their metrics with succ ...more
Raveesh Sharma
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good explanation on each of the points for future proofing the code. All of the points have already been covered in several software architecture books. Where this book stands out is , the motivation and the guidelines provided for each of the point. example.

Guideline 1: Writing short units of code. The book explains examples of how to refactor the code using extraction and other principles (explained in depth in Refactoring IT book by Martin Fowler) ..

Overall the book is a good summarize
João Quitério
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a definitive reference this is not it... This is more like an introduction (cheatsheet / for dummies approach) to books like Uncle Bob's Clean Code or Fowler's Refactoring.

My rating comes mostly because it addresses such a relevant/complex topic with a simple (some would argue simplistic, but I' not sure I agree) approach that could impact our industry deeply if adopted in any meaningful way.
Łukasz Słonina
Nothing new comparing to famous Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship. But for sure interesting position for those willing to understand SIG rating.
Abiezer Matos
i prefer clean code, is almost the same
Patrick Tingen
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ondanks het een redelijk hoog open-deur gehalte toch een erg leuk, vlot en vooral helder boek over software ontwikkeling.
Kaixi Luo
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nothing groundbreaking here. Just some common sense guidelines worth keeping in mind when you write code. 3.5 stars.
Rolf Babijn