Start by marking “A Night Without Stars” as Want to Read:
A Night Without Stars

A Night Without Stars

(Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers #2)

The planet is isolated from the rest of the universe, unable to seek help as it's targeted by hostile aliens. Bienvenido's ruling authorities have slowly responded to this gradual infiltration. But they have no idea that a highly organized invasion is now underway, designed to wipe out all human life on the planet. All factions must work together to survive. But due to pre ...more
Published September 27th 2016 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about A Night Without Stars, please sign up.
Luiz Marques There were some explanations of the previous events woven in. It was enough if you had only a vague memory of how things stopped in the previous book.
Jason Criley Here's the wikipedia entry for The Abyss Beyond Dreams. It has a synopsis. I hope it helps.

Start your review of A Night Without Stars
Michael
The many hours of reading pleasure from this space opera on a grand scale almost made it a five-star wonder for me. The far-future humans in this tale desperately pull out all the stops and put aside a revolutionary conflict between an underclass and their self-serving rulers in order to deal with an impending apocalypse at the hands of an insidious alien species, the Fallers. Lots of fascinating personalities come into play with all the sub-plots, starting with a forest warden, Florian, who get ...more
Bradley
Another SF epic by Hamilton and it sure as hell doesn't disappoint. At all.

I admit I like the Commonwealth novels best. I LOVE getting back in touch with Nigel and Paula and many others. It helps that everyone has lifespans counted in the span of thousands of years, of course, but it also means that after all these re-lifers, uploads, post-mortals, and re-bodied characters can go through a ton of change over the years.

Hamilton has one hell of a fascinating timeline going on here. And this lates
William
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5-Stars for the colossal, exciting, and very poignant final ending of the Commonwealth Saga. Over so many years, we have loved these characters, brought them into our families, lived with them, strived and hurt and were heroic with them. Now they are "grown children" and Peter's parenting of them is over. I know this loss must be deeply sad, as are all good parents when their children leave the nest. We do feel for you, Peter!

The Commonwealth Universe is an extraordinary creation, so carefully p
Kate
What a book! The Commonwealth chronicle begun with The Abyss Beyond Dreams concludes and it is magnificent. There is so much going on here, so many lives, I'll be thinking it over for a long time. Tempted now to re-re-read Pandora's Star..... Peter F Hamilton is the Master.

Liviu
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
disappointing; the first PFH novel that felt like a drag to read and finish and I did it more from a "dot the i's and cross the t's" perspective than anything else and if it were from almost any other I would have abandoned it without qualms; even the overlong Great North Road had enough goodies to make me get over the long boring police procedural part, while Mispent Youth was intriguing enough too to keep me interested despite being a soap opera disguised as sf, but this is repetition after re ...more
Mark
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-read
Night Without Stars is Peter F Hamilton’s conclusion to his Chronicle of the Fallers duology, itself effectively a conclusion – at least for the moment – of his Commonwealth Universe. Following on from The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Mark C’s review, MarkY’s review), Night Without Stars has a lot to do in its page count to effectively tie up the story, and it makes this task even greater by essentially resetting the society and technology on Bienvenido following its expulsion from the Void. It’s safe t ...more
Chris Berko
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I thought this duology was lacking compared to the ten other books I've read by him. Still good, still entertaining, just lite.
Gary
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
A Night Without Stars is the disappointing sequel to The Abyss Beyond Dreans. Whereas the earlier volume was characterized by some intriguing ideas and was populated by some complicated characters the sequel abandons both plot and lazy writing.

Here is what I mean by lazy writing:
1. The author doesn’t take time with his sentences. Here is an example: “They were halfway across the lake to the Vatni village when the baby woke up and started crying– really bawling. The noise was incredible. Floria
Rob
Executive Summary: A bit of a slow start, but probably my favorite Commonwealth books since Pandora's Star.

Audiobook: John Lee does his usual quality job. He doesn't do a lot of voices, but his normal reading voice is fantastic.

Full Review
I struggled a bit with the first third or so of The Abyss Beyond Dreams. Once things got moving they most got pretty good, but there were still lulls. This book however had very few lulls.

I originally felt like Abyss kind of abruptly ended, but given how th
Mark Medina
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Worth reading.

Lots of good points. Faced paced, action, etc. Good characters and exciting story. How much actual science fiction is debatable. Concludes the chronicle of the fallers series. Can be classed as good fun, without stretching the brain too much. Worth reading.
Les
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was everything that I'd hoped it would be, an epic and satisfying conclusion to this pair of books set in Peter F Hamilton's truly awesome Commonwealth universe. I selected it as my own personal "Book Of The Year" for 2016.

Set a number of years after the events of The Abyss Beyond Dreams, the story starts of rapidly and remains fast-moving with lots of action. There's a cool battle at the beginning where an old foe from the past (which Commonwealth universe readers will instantly recognize)
MadProfessah
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
Somewhat inconsistent but enjoyable entry in Commonwealth saga

A strong ending (with cameo appearances by some of the most famous and beloved figures in Hamilton's recent oeuvre) rescues this entry in the Commonwealth saga from relative obscurity.

A Night Without Stars is the second (and final) entry in a duopoly that began with The Abyss Beyond Dreams. These are nominally two more books set in the same Commonwealth universe of some of Hamilton's best work (Judas Unchained & Pandora's Star) but al
Florin Constantinescu
Picking up a few hundred years after the events in 'The Abyss Beyond Dreams', PFH tries to fix up whatever flaws were in its prequel. Did he manage to do it? Only partially.

Same recipe apllies yet again. 19th century society struggling to cope with the Void (see 'Void Trilogy'). Some Commonwealthers stick their noses here and there, apparently with their own agenda.
Compared to the prequel I had the impression that this time the 'voiders' were a little bit better written. The side action no longe
Claudia
This is the book that ends the Commonwealth universe series. To be honest, I liked the previous trilogies better.

This one had too much Marvel-like characters for my taste and too many cliches. Not to mention that society... I love the Commonwealth universe with its wonders and high technology and the diversity of aliens. If it wasn't for the (cheesy, but so lovely) ending, it would have been the first PFH disappointment. But the ending worth the struggle.

Overall, it was an enjoyable reading; jus
Fred Hughes
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story from a master story teller. Ejected from the void the issue becomes defending themselves from the Fallers who can create any type of person or animal they "eggsume".

Super sophisticated science fiction and evil at the highest level merge to create an epic story
Youko
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.

A Night Without Stars takes us back into the Commonwealth/Void universe. As the story takes place on Bienvenido and since I have only read the Commonwealth trilogy and not the Void Trilogy, I missed out on much of the context. While reading the Void Trilogy was clearly not a requirement, there was a lot of emphasis on the events of that story and plenty of references that I did not get.

Setting
The story takes place on Bienvenido, a planet that was formerly in the V
Chip
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Part two of the Chronicle of the Fallers series that began with The Abyss Beyond Dreams. If there is someone that can keep a series going without the quality decreasing over time, it is Peter F. Hamilton.

I believe that this is the twelfth book I've ready from this author. My average rating has been 4*. I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley. Yes, I'm a fanboy, but this rating was earned and not given.

The story continues shortly after the end of the previous book in the series and assumes
Vincent Stoessel
Perfect wrapping up of the commonwealth and Void series. I know that Hamilton is moving on to another universe and I'll be following him there as well.
Tami
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great commonwealth series. Hopefully not the last one. Not ready yet to part with the characters.
Ric
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Space Opera, perhaps conclusion to the Commonwealth saga?

Paulo Myo comes across the galactic gulf to save Bienvenido from the coming Faller apocalypse. If that did not make any sense, you may have to read the previous book The Abyss Beyond Dreams, or for that matter, the excellent Void series (begins with The Dreaming Void). Paula comes in as a reborn child on a fast re-growth, and handed off to a unwitting local, Froilan, who must keep her safe while she grows to adulthood and recovers her memo
Andrea
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, my-collection
An entertaining, breakneck adventure in a modern boy's own cracking good romp that takes no prisoners.
Here is what I loved about his earlier works, that I found lost in the introspective rambling first Void trilogy. Which was very good and interesting, but here it is surpassed by the flamboyant, exuberant action of this new work in the series.
And what fabulous action indeed. We have a medly of believable characters, diverse in so many ways (so, so, so many ways), desperately chasing their own co
Brian Boyle
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Crudding Uracus! It's the Peter F Hamilton greatest hits novel. All the usual elements are there: breathless plot-driven narrative, characters primarily differentiated by their clothes, and the obligatory car/train/ship/blimp/tuk-tuk chase. And that's the problem. Normally I can tolerate (nay enjoy) this confection - since Hamilton brings in lots of new ideas. And that's the problem with this novel, there are no new ideas. As a result, I ran out of puff half way through. Like having enough of a ...more
Karl
Jul 09, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is an Advanced Uncorrected Proof with an on sale date of 09/27/16.
Luke Burrage
Much better than the previous instalment. Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #325.
Tresuiri
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-cd
Oh my goodness, this book is so much better than the first. I rank this science fiction on par with Herbert's Dune or Heinlein's A Stranger in a Strange Land.
Kim
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Peter F. Hamilton brings to a close the story begun in The Abyss Beyond Dreams. It's now some 250 years after the clone of Nigel Sheldon broke down The Void, an area where time and physics no longer acted normally. This ejected the planet of Bienvenido with its population of humans who had been stranded and isolated from their home planets while within the Void. Now, millions of light years away from the nearest planetary system, they feel no less isolated. And there are two pressur ...more
Christopher
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Stevenson
I enjoyed both books of the chronicle faller series, “Abyss beyond Dreams” and this book.

The author creates a very believable future for human civilization. It a space opera in many ways but more individualistic instead collective team spirited like Star Trek. The author likes to explore the ideas of biological augmentations that allow humans to reshape themselves into weapons and live thousands of years as well as the exploring the theorical physics of wormholes.

If you like Andy Wier or Kim S
Joe
The second in the Chronicle of the Fallers duology was just as enjoyable as the first with a few surprises and curious additions included for good measure. Not my favourite Hamilton as certain plot elements were predictable and a little familar in places but the few little surprises, often related to known characters, was nice to see.
Bookbrow
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has any one read this author? 2 9 Mar 27, 2020 11:37PM
Release date. 3 64 Apr 28, 2016 10:03AM

• Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • Revenger (Revenger, #1)
  • The Human (Rise of the Jain #3)
  • Elysium Fire (Prefect Dreyfus Emergency #2)
  • Revelation Space (Revelation Space, #1)
  • War Factory (Transformation #2)
  • Redemption Ark (Revelation Space, #2)
  • Dark Intelligence (Transformation, #1)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Infinity Engine (Transformation, #3)
  • Absolution Gap (Revelation Space, #3)
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Terminal World
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
  • Silver (Inverted Frontier #2)
  • Ultima
  • Century Rain
  • The Soldier (Rise of the Jain #1)
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.

Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers (2 books)
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams

News & Interviews

“Humans can do anything if they have enough determination. And knowledge. Knowledge is the key to everything.” 1 likes
“code could be written to solve the problems. Code could do anything. Code could save the world.” 1 likes