Start by marking “Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)

Ottoline Goes to School

(Ottoline #2)

Meet Ottoline and her hairy, helpful friend Mr Munroe. No secret is ever too scary for the two of them to discover together. Ottoline is off to the Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted. She is rather worried that she doesn't have a special gift.
Published February 1st 2008 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ottoline Goes to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ottoline Goes to School

Start your review of Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick, fun read. The illustrations in this book are something else and really make the story. Ottoline is a strong MC, with her trusty sidekick Mr Munroe. In this installation, they go away to a unique boarding school and must solve the mystery of a ghost. Themes of friendship and family. This is a fun and different middle grade series.
Anastasiaadamov
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifuly illustrated and amazingly written. Watchfull readers will have fun with finding new interesting details in the illustrations. Characters were especially endearing
Elin Adler
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hcf
I think I do prefer the first book a bit more but that doesnt mean this isnt a good one. I enjoyed it alot and especially the illustrations.
Deb
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I like the illustrations and the style of this author. I plan to read all the Ottoline books.
theresa
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
loved the illustrations and the story!definitely want to read more about Ottoline 🖤
Emmie
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this in high school and was fascinated by the style of illustrations. Chris Riddell is truly talented.
Juwita
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Ottoline Brown is such an adorable character. Together with her best friend Mr Munroe, Ottoline goes to school, makes new friends, and find her special gift. Riddell’s illustrations are my favourite. There’s always something new to see and discover.
Anna
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-fiction
I wasn't crazy about this book. It's not great and it's not bad either. Ottoline's parents are travelers who are often away but she doesn't seem to mind as she has her best friend Mr. Munroe and lots of grown-ups to look after her. One day she meets Cecily Forbes-Lawerence III in the park by her apartment and they quickly become friends. Cecily goes to Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted and Ottoline soon decides that she would like to attend too. Once Ottoline reaches the boarding ...more
Izzati
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I love Chris Riddell's interpretation of The Graveyard Book. I didn't expect this story to be colorful, but it was. The illustrations are amazing and the story reminded me of Enid Blyton's Malory Towers. He even included a bit of Frankenstein (the only classics I truly love) in it.

Yet the best part for me? The fact that he mentioned three different states in Malaysia in it. I noticed Penang (where I was born), then Sarawak and Pahang. See, Malaysia hardly gets any m
Grace
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I actually like this sequel better than 'Ottoline and the Yellow Cat'.
Both are very charming, with a distinct style.
It reminds me a little of the 'Eloise' books by Kay Thompson, and other classic books too.
I see that most reviewers on here prefer the first book, but I actually liked this one better.
I liked that I felt it focused more on Ottoline's character.
The first book focused a lot on the mystery of the Yellow Cat.
This book focused more on Ottoline as a character.
It was an entertaining and c
Mehsi
My third read for this book, and no matter how many times I read it, I love the story! I didn't always like Ottoline in the beginning, she treated Munroe as if he wasn't there (and didn't notice that made him sad), but the parts where she goes to school were a delight to read. The lessons sound absolutely brilliant, wish I could go to that school. Minus the haunting though, but even that one wasn't hard to figure out.
Of course the illustrations are fabulous!
Melanie
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Love the drawings in these books. Cute story. My niece and I enjoyed reading it together.
Louise / Daisy May Johnson
It's very easy for somebody who reads a lot of books to miss an author. And yet, equally, it's also very easy to have a consciousness of who and what that author is and how they do what they do. This is where I stood with Chris Riddell; conscious that I hadn't really read much of his work, but conscious that his work was good. And I'd come to that decision for a variety of reasons, not just for the quality of his art work which burns from his books like fire, but also because of the children I k ...more
Anna
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Riddell's illustrations and character designs, his whimsical and absolutely unique storylines are something that sticks to you like honey. Sweet and aromatic, the slight buzzing of bees still entrancing you as if in a dream. Even as an adult I enjoy reading his books and discovering page after page. His lead characters are friends you want to keep for the rest of your life while their friendships and bonds touch you deep down and put a smile on your face even when you are in a mood. Love t ...more
Neville Ridley-smith
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
The Ottoline books are simply delightful.

With respect to playing with the book form, this one goes even further into graphic novel territory - using totally silent panels and in one or two cases going to a full-on bunch of silent panels showing the action exactly as you'd find in any comic.

The *only* reason I don't give these 5 stars is because the stories are somewhat ho-hum. They're ok but nothing spectacular. Also the humour is very laid back - only a few times is it funny enough to make me a
This is a quick read for kids reading on their own. There are several stories in the Ottoline series. The illustrations are fantastic. Pen and ink with so much detail. Reminicient of Edward Gorey, but cleaner. Ottoline makes a new friend at the park. When Cecily has to leave to go back to school, Ottoline decides she wants to go too. Each girl has parents who are not very involved in their lives and each girl handles this differently.
Becky H.
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great Ottoline book. The thing I am loving about this series is that it is getting my nonreader to read. She was so excited to read about the haunted school just as school was starting. We had some great discussions about what was going on in the story and the extra clues she could find in the illustrations. She had the ghost figured out but also loved the other ghosts throughout the book (hidden in the illustrations). Looking forward to reading more...
Athirah Idrus
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful book with an interesting storyline, accompanied with beautiful illustrations! It's been a while since I last read a picture book and this really reminded me of the joy it brings! With every page I caught myself smiling, not only because of the innocent characters and what they did but also because I'm amazed with how the author, Chris Riddell, brought them to life with the amazing pictures in every scene. Highly recommended for the young and young at heart!
Thebruce1314
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I needed a palate cleanser, and this was a perfect book to read the day before school starts again.
It's been quite awhile since I read the first book in the series, and I'd forgotten how awesome Chris Riddell is! While the text is very simple, the illustrations and occasional accompanying comments add more layers to the story. Very fun read!
Heydi Smith
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another amazing Chris Riddell story. I enjoyed all the search and find items/people throughout this book. Looking forward to reading all the Ottoline books.

This series is very cleaver and a definite page turner. The illustrations force you to slow down and explore Ottoline's world.
Becka
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I spent all day searching for this book. Probably one of the most underrated picture books I've ever read. It's funny and fun, and beautifully illustrated. I read it when I was a little older than picture book age, but it was still entertaining and I would like to reread it sometime.
Brigid
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ottoline is absolutely charming. She is kind, friendly, confident, self reliant, and interesting. The books are full of interesting and weird characters. What a delightful book! This is the first Ottoline book I’ve read and I can’t wait to read them all!
James Koppert
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great kids story. Aggie is hooked
Ellie (bookmadbarlow)
Fun read with Ottoline finding a new friend and going to school for the first time. She still gets time to solve the latest mystery as well.
Jade Louvat
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entertainment
Interesting quirky universe that Chris Riddell has created in which Ottoline solves misteries.
Greeny Onie
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fascinating illustration..^^
lucy  black
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-fiction
I think these are meant for kids to read to themselves, they don't really work as read aloud books. We both still enjoyed the pictures but the story wasn't so great.
ephyjeva
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for originality, ten for the illustrations.
Ella
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the first chris Riddell book I read it is amazing
Daphne
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-aaron
Not as fabulous as the 1st and 3rd, but still a good adventure and a lesson in loyalty.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • First Prize for the Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #8)
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • Amelia Fang and the Unicorn Lords
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • The Worst Witch Saves the Day (Worst Witch, #5)
  • Morgavsa a Morgana - Živelné měňavice
  • The Pest in the Nest
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co., #2)
  • The Beast of Buckingham Palace
  • Willow Moss and the Lost Day (Starfell #1)
  • Isadora Moon Goes to the Fair
  • 14/7. El descubrimiento (14/7, #1)
  • A Bad Spell for the Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #3)
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally

Ottoline (4 books)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • Ottoline at Sea (Ottoline, #3)
  • Ottoline and the Purple Fox (Ottoline, #4)