Start by marking “Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)

Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline #2)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,235 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Meet Ottoline and her hairy, helpful friend Mr Munroe. No secret is ever too scary for the two of them to discover together. Ottoline is off to the Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted. She is rather worried that she doesn't have a special gift.
Published February 1st 2008 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ottoline Goes to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ottoline Goes to School

Anastasiaadamov
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifuly illustrated and amazingly written. Watchfull readers will have fun with finding new interesting details in the illustrations. Characters were especially endearing
Reetta Saine
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, huumori, koulu
Mauri joutuu mustasukkaisuuden kouriin, kun Ottilia saa toisenkin ystävän. Yhdessä lähdetään hyvin erityislaatuiseen kouluun, jossa on *lemmikeille* oma siipi.

Brittilastenkirjallisuudestakin alkaa löytää sellaisia toistuvia trendejä ja hauskuusteemoja, kun näitä työkseen lukee. Kotimaisten kanssa välillä toivoisi, että niitä "peruskivoja" salapoliisi-perhe-hassu-juttuja olisi vähän vähemmän, angloilla taas Outous (?) on selvästi jotain niin pelottavaa, että sen kanssa pitää leikkiä kirjassa jos
Anna
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-fiction
I wasn't crazy about this book. It's not great and it's not bad either. Ottoline's parents are travelers who are often away but she doesn't seem to mind as she has her best friend Mr. Munroe and lots of grown-ups to look after her. One day she meets Cecily Forbes-Lawerence III in the park by her apartment and they quickly become friends. Cecily goes to Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted and Ottoline soon decides that she would like to attend too. Once Ottoline reaches the boarding ...more
Touloulou
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
J'adore les romans d'Apolline / Ottoline de Chris Riddell.
Ca se lit très vite (30 minutes au parc m'ont suffi !), l'histoire est pleine de malice et d'humour, à l'image d'Apolline, et les illustrations dont je suis admirative (depuis que j'ai commencé à lire cet auteur pendant mon adolescence) regorgent de détails qu'on peut passer de longs moments à trouver.
Dans ce roman, Apolline découvre la vie à l'école, en internat, et dans une école pas comme les autres, où chacun recherche son don spécial
Grace
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I actually like this sequel better than 'Ottoline and the Yellow Cat'.
Both are very charming, with a distinct style.
It reminds me a little of the 'Eloise' books by Kay Thompson, and other classic books too.
I see that most reviewers on here prefer the first book, but I actually liked this one better.
I liked that I felt it focused more on Ottoline's character.
The first book focused a lot on the mystery of the Yellow Cat.
This book focused more on Ottoline as a character.
It was an entertaining and c
Mehsi
My third read for this book, and no matter how many times I read it, I love the story! I didn't always like Ottoline in the beginning, she treated Munroe as if he wasn't there (and didn't notice that made him sad), but the parts where she goes to school were a delight to read. The lessons sound absolutely brilliant, wish I could go to that school. Minus the haunting though, but even that one wasn't hard to figure out.
Of course the illustrations are fabulous!
Melanie
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Love the drawings in these books. Cute story. My niece and I enjoyed reading it together.
Julie
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another lovely book in the Ottoline series. A fund story combined with Chris Riddell's fabulous illustrations make this a great read for children.
LH Johnson
It's very easy for somebody who reads a lot of books to miss an author. And yet, equally, it's also very easy to have a consciousness of who and what that author is and how they do what they do. This is where I stood with Chris Riddell; conscious that I hadn't really read much of his work, but conscious that his work was good. And I'd come to that decision for a variety of reasons, not just for the quality of his art work which burns from his books like fire, but also because of the children I k ...more
This is a quick read for kids reading on their own. There are several stories in the Ottoline series. The illustrations are fantastic. Pen and ink with so much detail. Reminicient of Edward Gorey, but cleaner. Ottoline makes a new friend at the park. When Cecily has to leave to go back to school, Ottoline decides she wants to go too. Each girl has parents who are not very involved in their lives and each girl handles this differently.
Thebruce1314
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I needed a palate cleanser, and this was a perfect book to read the day before school starts again.
It's been quite awhile since I read the first book in the series, and I'd forgotten how awesome Chris Riddell is! While the text is very simple, the illustrations and occasional accompanying comments add more layers to the story. Very fun read!
Becka
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I spent all day searching for this book. Probably one of the most underrated picture books I've ever read. It's funny and fun, and beautifully illustrated. I read it when I was a little older than picture book age, but it was still entertaining and I would like to reread it sometime.
Heydi Smith
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another amazing Chris Riddell story. I enjoyed all the search and find items/people throughout this book. Looking forward to reading all the Ottoline books.

This series is very cleaver and a definite page turner. The illustrations force you to slow down and explore Ottoline's world.
Minna
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ihanaa brittihuumorin kyllästämää tarinaa, jossa on myös vakavampia teemoja kuten ikävä ja mustasukkaisuus, jotka kuitenkin käsitellään aika fiksusti.
Greeny Onie
A very cute read :)
Hanna
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n, helppolukuiset
Ei hykerryttänyt yhtä paljon kuin ensimmäinen osa. Karhujen huviretkibileet oli paras osuus.
Kim Cannelle
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entertainment
Interesting quirky universe that Chris Riddell has created in which Ottoline solves misteries.
Eleanor
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun read with Ottoline finding a new friend and going to school for the first time. She still gets time to solve the latest mystery as well.
ephyjeva
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-reads
Five stars for originality, ten for the illustrations.
James Koppert
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great kids story. Aggie is hooked
lucy  black
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-fiction
I think these are meant for kids to read to themselves, they don't really work as read aloud books. We both still enjoyed the pictures but the story wasn't so great.
Hattie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
i love mr munaroe
Räv
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ani tento druhý dieľ ma nesklamal. Skôr naopak, bola som v šoku bolo to o trošku lepšie než, Otolína a žlutá kočka. Prišlo mi to viac prepracovanejšie, aj ilustrácie (páči sa mi, že sú čierno-biele sem-tam modré) , príbeh bol fakt zaujímavý a je dobré že sú tam tie kresby, i keď občas je tam viac obrázkov ako textu. Ale deti to určite, zaujme. A budú z toho "waaau". O trošku lepší než v prvej knižke. Trošku mi bolo lúto pána Mouru. A Čo sa týka zvyšných charakterov, tak sú také zvlášnte.
Od zači
Joanne G.
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this second of the series, I was expecting the black and white illustrations touched in red like the previous book, but this one has blue accents. I enjoyed the variation. The story revolves around Ottoline and Mr. Munroe once again. This time, their sleuthing skills are required at a special boarding school. Ottoline and Mr. Munroe must discover what is happening or the school will be closed and the children sent home.

I so appreciate Ottoline's acceptance of her difficult friend, and her und
Eva Mitnick
Nov 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, fantasy
Poor Mr. Munroe. His status in Ottoline's life is rather unique - and rather unclear to outsiders. In fact, most folks can't quite tell what manner of creature he is, and so when he accompanies Ottoline to boarding school (the Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted), he is labeled a dog and sent to stay in the east wing with the other assorted pets and companions (all of whom are at least as eccentric as Mr. Munroe).

This isn't Mr. Munroe's only dilemma. He is also suffering pangs of je
Barb Middleton
This book has 170 pages but took me 30 minutes to read because about half of it is filled with gorgeous illustrations. Good for grades 2-4, the story is about Ottoline Brown whose rich parents gallivant across continents as Collectors. We don't know what they are collecting but they correspond with Ottoline through letters while servants take care of her and she spends time with her best friend, Munroe, a hairy creature that looks like a cross between "The Lorax" and "Cousin It." When Ottoline m ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Ottoline returns in Ottoline Goes to School by Chris Riddell. In keeping with my accidental trend of reading sequels first, I read this book before Ottoline and the Yellow Cat.

The book pretty much stands alone although I was left wondering why Ottoline has a bear for a friend. In this book Ottoline decides she needs to go to school because that's what children do.

Ottoline is picked up in a bus where she rides with other extraordinary children (the son of the invisible man, for instance) and thei
Cassandra
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In diesem Band macht sich Ottoline zusammen mit Mr. Munroe und ihrer neuen Freundin Cäcillia auf in die Alice-B.-Sanders Schule für Kinder mit ganz besonderen Begabungen. Dort trifft Ottoline auf Kinder mit den unterschiedlichsten Begabungen wie z.B. Luft-Floristik oder Vorhang-Origami.
Doch seltsame Dinge geschehen im Internat. Der Geist eines Pferdes geht im alten Gemäuer umher und die Kinder wollen nach Hause geschickt werden, doch wer wäre Ottoline, wenn sie den merkwürdigen Dingen nicht auf
  • Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • Hot Air (Edgar & Ellen Nodyssey, #1)
  • The Dunderheads
  • Daisy Dawson and the Secret Pond
  • Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Summerhouse Time
  • Claude In The City
  • Bowling Alley Bandit
  • Harry and the Wrinklies
  • Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles (Madame Pamplemousse, #1)
  • There's a Wolf at the Door
  • Otto's Orange Day (TOON Level 3)
  • Amazing Greek Myths of Wonder and Blunders
  • Be Careful What You Sniff For (Magic Bone, #1)
  • Who Was Maria Tallchief?
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally
More about Chris Riddell

Ottoline (4 books)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • Ottoline at Sea (Ottoline, #3)
  • Ottoline and the Purple Fox (Ottoline, #4)