Start by marking “A Posse of Princesses” as Want to Read:
A Posse of Princesses

A Posse of Princesses

Rhis, princess of a small kingdom, is invited along with all the other princesses in her part of the world to the coming of age party of the Crown Prince of Vesarja, which is the central and most important kingdom. When Iardith, the prettiest and most perfect of all the princesses, is abducted, Rhis and her friends go to the rescue.

What happens to Rhis and her posse has un
Published September 1st 2010 by Book View Cafe (first published March 1st 2008)

Start your review of A Posse of Princesses
Alex Fayle
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sherwood Smith’s A Posse of Princesses does something that few female focused YA fantasies seem to do these days. She gives us a smart heroine who isn’t a passive cypher waiting for others to use her and act through her. Nor is the character operating in a depressing, dystopian world against unsurmountable odds. In fact although Rhis thinks she’s a rebellious princess, she’s actually well behaved and rather conservative.

However, despite all that, she’s probably one of the stronger feminist chara
Sophie
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sophie by: Rayna
I read this book from my pile of shame, which is just a pile of books given to me at some point years ago and then have followed me from place to place without me ever reading them. This one I got back in 2012! It was cute, but I definitely felt like I would have enjoyed this book more if I were younger.
Anne Osterlund
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Princess Rhis never gets to go anywhere or do anything. Her only escape from dull tutoring lessons is hiding up in a tower writing ballads about--well--all the things she never gets to do. But then Prince Lios returns to Vesarja and invites “every eligible young lady” to come try her hand at winning his. And Rhis, at sixteen, is off for the adventure of a lifetime.

Mmm. This book is total self-indulgence for any reader who enjoys strong-willed princesses, heroes with great smiles, and an occasion
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

I can't believe this book has been on Mt TBR for four years already. I am glad I finally read it. I don't read a lot of Young adult books but there are a few authors who do it well, especially when in the fantasy genre. Sherwood Smith does it well.

The thing I liked most about this story was Rhis, the main female character. She was 16 and the way her character was drawn reflected that. Of noble birth, but not really interested in statecraft and all that rigmarole, she does her
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers: http://thebooksmugglers.com/2012/03/b...

Princess Rhis of the small, craggy, but bountifully rich kingdom of Nym lives a charmed but rather boring life.

Though she’s intelligent, Rhis is not the heir to the throne and thus has little interest in learning all the subjects that make a queen (especially not when her stuffy elder sister-by-marriage insists on nitpicking the flaws in Rhis’s attention span and work ethic). Instead, the plain young princess is f
Estara
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was as lovely as I remembered (the ebook has one or two spelling mistakes, but that's it) - I think it's a believable portrayal of a naive princess who hasn't found an outlet for her interests at home but has lots of potential and now finds herself at a house party which opens up the whole world to her.

The growth from silent and love-struck observer to mediator and confidante is believable, even though she is 16. And so the drama she gets into and her angst at having to forego seeing her lo
Amy
I wrote out a long review and then my computer went wonky and I lost it....so here is the short version:
Great book with many flaws but overcomes those flaws with fantastic, realistic characterizations and situations. The sort of book I would read to my future kids for the ending alone.
Lydia Presley
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite things to do when I was young was go to the library. I loved the crinkle of the plastic covers over the books and the smell of the pages when I opened a book and prepared to dive into its adventures for the first time. I even loved the overly used part of the pages, the fingerprints and stains because those told stories to me in addition to the words that were printed on the page.

One of my favorite types of stories to read were stories of princesses and adventures. What little
Keertana
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Rating: 2.5 Stars

I believe I got about 100 pages into this book before giving up on it. This wasn't because the writing was bad or the characters were annoying, it was simply because the novel felt far too juvenile for me. Sherwood Smith's Crown Duel Series have been receiving some remarkable ratings and seems to have been marketed towards teens and adults, which is why I thought I'd give one of her other novels a chance while I could. However, A Posse of Princesses is a more middle-grade sto
Sherwood Smith
Jun 17, 2009 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Posse has been polished, and a new chapter added. Look for the spiffed version in e-book form.
Sherwood Smith
Dec 18, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the e-book edition, which has been smoothed from the book edition, and also a new scene added near the end.
Jia Ling Pan
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

I would keep it at 2 stars but I've given 2 stars to books that I've enjoyed less so 2.5 stars it is. It could have been an 'I liked it' book had it not been for a few issues which I can't overlook with this.

This is a story about a privileged yet not unkind princess known as Rhis. Our protagonist comes from a good family (better than most do when coming from any royal lineage) and is in no way in line for the throne; thus she has spent a great many years having her head up in the clou
Skye
Apr 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Okay, so I admit this wasn’t much of a challenge for me to read, since this is the kind of stuff I lap up with a spoon. I mean c’mon, prince and princesses, castles…magic diamonds. Now, wait! Don’t run, this isn’t a cheesy version of Princess Diaries 2 (although, if you must know I liked that fluff film.) This is an adventurous take on some prince and princess clichés.

Up until now I had only read Sherwood Smith’s Crown & Court Duel, but that was enough to cement her into my list of favorite auth
Christina
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
9/10ths of this book were vastly fun. Sherwood Smith has always done good female teenagers, as far as I'm concerned, and speaking as someone who was more of the "let's go have an adventure and do stuff" type girl than the "oh god I'm in love" type girl so common in adolescent fiction (I'm looking at you, B---- S---). First runner-up in the Miss I-Couldn't-Relate Pageant: the girl burdened with terrible trauma who copes with it poorly (more common in contemporary fiction than fantasy). I had a go ...more
Kit
Feb 27, 2010 rated it liked it
I don't know why, but I'm a sucker for books, like The Riddle-Master of Hed, where the royals turn out to be normal everyday joes who know how to do their own cooking and grew up playing in the creek with the kids who grew up to be their advisers. A Posse of Princesses is in the same vein, and I think that's why I liked it. The teenaged princes and princesses of various vaguely-medieval-with-magic kingdoms meet to form alliances (and marriages) and get to know each other, at which point they act ...more
Denae Christine
This book didn't flow well. The first half had a sedate pace (which would be fine if it felt consistent) and was well thought out with good dialogue and okay mystery and court intrigue. The second half of the book rushed by and felt completely disconnected. Too many random and pointless events! And the inciting incident mentioned in the blurb (kidnapping) happened halfway through the book.
Random is not okay. (view spoiler)
Melissa
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Honestly, I feel that the blurb was deceiving. I was expecting a story about the adventures of a posse of princesses. You know, chasing after one of their own. Using their own power and resources. Girl power!! Yeah, the whole abduction thing? It really wasn't that important. In fact, I think the book would have been better if it was left out completely.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the book. I just think the whole "abduction" scenario was thrown in to make this book into an action/adventure sto
Greymalkin
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: tokenfemalegamer
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Li
This was a reread for me - after reading Thea's review at The Book Smugglers, I was tempted into buying the revised e-version (with an extra chapter) and had no regrets.

This felt a bit like a high school story translated to a fantasy setting, with cliques, bullying, and secrets galore - however, Sherwood Smith pulls it off and I loved how Rhis and girl-power came to the fore. And I really liked how the HEA in this book was a realistic one for a story where the main protagonists are teenagers. Th
Elsabet
I really enjoy Sherwood Smith's books because her heroines are so rarely sword wielding warrior maidens. I like sword wielding warrior maids just fine, but I do grow tired of them. So many female protagonist in the fantasy genre are ultra tough fighters. It's a breath of fresh air to read about a girl who prefers things like music and dancing to sword-play and horse riding.

Plot

Rhis, is a rather romantically inclined princess who lives a dull, uninspiring life in her secluded mountain country of
Camille
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Posse of Princesses was a charming read reminiscent of a fairy tale, set in a fantasy medieval land filled with princesses, princes, kingdoms, and magic. Princess Rhis is the heroine in this delightful tale. She begins the story living below her full potential as she’d rather spend time within her secret tower writing ballads than studying or seeking adventure. But when she receives an invitation to travel to a far off kingdom to meet Crown Prince Lios who’s just returned and is seeking a wife ...more
Natalie
Such a disappointment - because I love this author. Crown/Court Duel were really well done and I liked the Wren trilogy as well.

However this just didn't cut it.

I think this book tried to do too many things - kidnapping, forbidden magic, a love story, corrupt kingdoms, an epistolary novel, etc etc etc. The first 160 pages are about Rhis and her friends attending balls and parties. Then suddenly about halfway through the book, a bunch of girls dash off to rescue another girl who has been kidnapp
Emma Rose Ribbons
Oh that was lovely: Court intrigue with plenty of royal girls being friends, adventures, music, romance and just a little dash of magic. This was perfect - gentle, lovely, intriguing and ultimately very rewarding. This reminded me of Summers at Castle Auburn. I loved this and what a treat to be finding a new-to-me author with an extensive backlist! I can't wait to dive into all her works.
Lekhana Gogineni
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, a really admirable book, I think more people should read Sherwood Smith's book, there amazing, and have character. It's a shame not many people know about them.

Rhis, the main character in this book, was a darling of a character--the sort of person you'd want to be friends with in real life. All in all I really liked this story.
Sam at A Journey Through Pages
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comfort-reads
Review from A Journey Through Pages

Something about the title and plot of this book made me not want to read it. It's really quite strange, I can't explain it, but it was one of those books that kept popping up on my goodreads.com recommendations so I finally said screw it and checked it out from the library.

I was pleasantly surprised.

There are really two parts to this book, the introduction of characters and then the growing of these characters. The plot expained up in the synopsis happens in th
Darla
Dec 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
(Genre:Teen fiction/fairy tale) I really liked this book! It is the story of the young princess Rhis (age 16) who lives in an isolated mountainous kingdom. When she gets invited to a party/trip/vacation to meet Prince Lios (of a distant kingdom) and many other young royalty near her age, she is very excited. Rhis is of a more romantic nature and upon seeing the handsome prince Lios, she immediately falls in love. Fortunately, Rhis is not just romantic, but she has a number of more helpful traits ...more
Treasa
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When Rhis, a princess of Nym, is invited to a party for the prince of a nearby kingdom, she has no expectations other than to have a good time. There she meets many princesses and princes and becomes great friends with some. She also meets the prince's scribe, who quickly becomes one of her best friends. When one of the princesses goes missing, Rhis and three of her fellow princesses set out to save her. Along the way, they all learn a lot about themselves and the world around them.

I loved this
Isabella
May 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sucks, disappointed
I liked this well enough but the ending killed any love (like?) I had for this book, because guess what? I didn't read this book to learn about how bad young marriage is, I read this book for FUN Sherwood Smith sold this book as a fun romp where a group (or a Posse if you will) of Princesses chase after another Princess, and what did I get? A PSA that changed the stay in school don't do drugs to stay in school don't get married. ( I don't really cuss but... this says it all)
(view spoiler)
Kenzie
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fluff
3.7

This was an enjoyable read, and far preferable to some of the other silly books I've read over the years. I can't help but confess though, that I am a little disappointed.

My qualms:
1. I found it hard to believe that some of the characters were around the age of twenty; everyone felt still to be high school age, and even that felt a little ditsy at times. However, I was able to feel and understand the vision the author had in mind and suspend a bit of disbelief and excuse those shortcomings.
rissabean
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ok this book is about a princess who is invited to the coming of age party for prince Lois. There are lots of princesses invited but only one will the prince choose. She learns a lot about love and friendship.
The story has a neat twist to it that I really enjoyed. (even though I find it out almost right a way) it was still fun to read.
I did not like the ending as well( like the letter trying to speed up five years) but I liked how they had to wait the five years so they would be more mature. It
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 17, 2015 02:30PM

• Troubled Waters (Elemental Blessings, #1)
  • Summers at Castle Auburn
  • Mystic and Rider (Twelve Houses, #1)
  • The False Princess
  • Secondhand Charm
  • My Fair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #1)
  • Servant of the Crown (The Crown of Tremontane #1)
  • Princess Ben
  • The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #1)
  • Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
  • The Amaranth Enchantment
  • Titanic: The Long Night
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
  • Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1; Books of Arilland #1)
  • Cinderellis and the Glass Hill (The Princess Tales, #4)
  • Royal Airs (Elemental Blessings, #2)
  • Book of a Thousand Days
  • Which Witch?
I am a writer, but I'm here on Goodreads to talk about books, as I've been a passionate reader as long as I've been a writer--since early childhood.

I'm not going to rate books--there are too many variables. I'd rather talk about the reading experience. My 'reviews' of my books are confined to the writing process.

News & Interviews

“Fall in love

with heart, not head,

to trouble you’re led.

Fall in love

with heart and mind,

then true love you’ll find.”
0 likes