Start by marking “Playing for the Other Team” as Want to Read:
Playing for the Other Team

Playing for the Other Team

Bryson just wants to make it through the last few weeks of high school alive. Graduation is on the horizon, his grades are decent, and his biggest worries are, in order, his baseball performance, his graduation gown color, and his weird hair. Everything seems on track – until two heavy realizations hit him right in the middle of his senior prom: He's gay, and he's in love. ...more
Published January 11th 2016 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about Playing for the Other Team, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing for the Other Team

Ele
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Although I didn't like this as much as I 've liked Spectacularly Broken (which I highly recommend), it was still an enjoyable read.

It all starts in the middle of senior prom. Bryson, high school baseball player, fairly popular, and decent student, comes to a realisation; he's gay. And in love with Jasper.

Jasper attends the same art class as Bryson. He is an artist, out and proud, and carries a lot -and I mean A LOT- of buggage.

I liked the bond that Jasper and Bryson formed. Bry is trying his bes
SheReadsALot
3.5 Hearts--I went to prom whether I wanted to or not...

I saw this story tagged as New Adult, so I was hoping the high school setting wasn't going to be as central as it was. This story is YA w/ light sexy times, in fact I think this could be tagged as YA that adults can read and enjoy.

For my first Sage C. Holloway, I can say I was intrigued by Playing For the Other Team. I was left wanting to know more about the boys, their school and home lives. The book's central theme is coming out/ s
BWT (Belen)
This is the first young adult/new adult book I've enjoyed in a long time.

thank-you-Phil-Dunphy

I liked the flow of the story and I loved both Bry and Jasper. I loved how supportive Jasper was of Bry in the beginning, and Bry was of Jasper later on in the story. The supporting cast in this was really wonderful, especially both of their sisters and Jasper's parents.

Where the story stumbled, for me, is in the manufactured drama by Jasper's ex. I would have liked to have gotten a better idea of some of the outcomes to ce
Molli B.
When I saw that Sage Holloway had a new novel, I was stoked—I loved Spectacularly Broken, her debut novel. It was incredibly good. I had hopes.

But Playing for the Other Team didn't hit me in quite the same way that Spectacularly Broken did. It's a quick read with moderate angst and mild steam, and those things are fine, but the writing wasn't as polished, the story was rushed, and the characters were shallow; a lot of the them were just cliches, and I'm not sure anyone was fleshed out.

In general
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

Young Adult age-range: 14+ (older if not as emotionally mature, younger if they are) due to sexual content and situations.

5 Stars

When I started Playing for the Other Team, it was 2 a.m. and I just finished a rare 4.5 star book. I meant to only read a few chapters to get my mind off the other storyline, only to find myself finished before sleep finally claimed me. Thoroughly addicted, page after page flew by without my notice.

Br
S.M. Harshell
**I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.**

Prom night. Everyone always expects the greatest moments to happen on that night. It's supposed to be magical and filled with fun. You dress up and hang out with your friends, dance and have a good time. But what if you figure out you're gay in the middle of all of that and the one person that draws your attention is the one person to help you understand your new reality?

Bryson is coming to terms with his coming out. He
Veronica
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Bryson realises he is gay while watching Jasper, a guy in his art class, dance with a girl at prom. On what turns out to be an eventful night for Bryson, he comes out to Jasper can they become friends. Jasper is openly gay and agrees to support Bryson through his coming out.

Bryson struggles to survive his final year of High School. When the students find out about Bryson's sexual orientation some are supportive and others ar
Dena
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: abuse, bullying, m-m, ya-na
3.5*
I had a lot of mixed feelings about this book. First, I just could not accept Bryson with silver hair--I kept thinking it should have been Jasper. Second, though I really liked Jasper I felt like maybe he needed counseling for everything he had gone through, instead it was just kind of treated like nothing. Third, I really wanted some characters to get what they deserved. A lot of bad things were done to Jasper and Bryson but no one had any real consequences to face. The things that happened
Alicia
*4.5 stars*
Another fantastic book by Sage. I absolutely love her writing style, and although I'm not a huge fan of reading about high school kids, I loved her other book so much i had to get this. The story was amazing, the characters completely loveable, and so good together. My only complaint is that it wasn't longer, I want more! I will be one clicking everything this author writes in the future.
Nerea
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute YA about outing at High school and the problems that it could made.
But must say the plot was a bit plain, and the main character... I dont know, I couldn't make a connection with him :/
I wish this story give me more feels but NO :'(
Jamie Deacon
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book by this author I’ve had the pleasure of reading. Because I enjoyed ‘Spectacularly Broken’ so much, it was always going to be a hard act to follow, but ‘Playing for the Other Team’ turned out to be a fast pace read packed full of drama and conflict. Coming out is rarely simple, and this novel does a great job of illustrating the turmoil that goes along with it, as well as the contrasting ways in which friends, team mates and family members handle the news.

Bryson is in the
Jonah
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

It's the night of senior prom as Bryson stands, staring at Jasper dancing with a girl. His biggest wish is to run over and take her place, but would that be such a great idea? Bryson is confused by these feelings. Coming out wasn't what Bryson expected through it all. Bryson and Jasper both like each other, but is it a bad idea to date so close to graduation? As the boys go through the last few weeks of school they are star
Joyfully Jay
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kirsty
A Joyfully Jay review.

Playing for the Other Team is the story of the romance between the two young men, from their first kiss in the gym equipment cupboard, to Bry’s difficult journey through the final weeks of school, to the homophobia Bry and Jasper face from both friends and family, and the trust that builds between the couple, despite the obstacles they face.

Sage C. Holloway’s story is perfectly aimed at her young adult target audience. The complex and emotive subjects surrounding
Queue
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a sweet, romantic tale of a young man realizing he’s gay and the complications that ensue. I loved Sage Holloway’s first book, Spectacularly Broken, and while I didn’t enjoy this one quite as much it was still a fabulous story.

The story begins in the middle of a senior prom with Bryson realizing he’s gay and crushing on Jasper, a social outcast. Years back, when Jasper transferred into Bryson’s school, Jasper gave Bryson a note that admitted Jasper was attracted to him. Bryson
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Coming out for Bryson could not be more agonizing. He barely recognizes the truth for himself when he is thrust into the most dreadful arena possible…high-school! Jasper helps him through as best he can, even though his own reputation often makes the situation worse. I love how these two young men support each other during such a sensitive and traumatic time.

Lototy
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More

Official Review @ Coffee Time Romance & more
Amy Banamy
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-ebook
Suspended for an STD? @@ Also, when teenagers speak like 40 year old women with a thesaurus...no.
*Carrie*
Jan 19, 2016
Abi Ericcson
Jan 13, 2016
Oreli
rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2016
Ayden
Mar 11, 2018
Brittni
Apr 22, 2016
Sage C. Holloway is a parent, sex-positive feminist, pet store employee and resident fruitcake. Her childhood dream consisted of being a writer and an astronaut, and so far, she is about fifty percent there.

She has one husband, who seems to be the only one capable of putting up with her on a regular basis, and one toddler with a life goal of wreaking the ultimate havoc. She is also owned by three