Start by marking “Raven's Strike (Raven, #2)” as Want to Read:
Raven's Strike (Raven, #2)

Raven's Strike (Raven #2)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  5,225 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews
Librarian's note: An alternate cover edition can be found here

Centuries ago, the wizards of Colossae unleashed an unimaginable force of destruction: the Stalker. Only the sacrifice of their entire city could contain the menace they had wrought—but even then, the Stalker was only imprisoned, and it can still find conduits for its evil power...

Seraph is among the last of the
Published August 1st 2005 by Ace Books (first published July 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Raven's Strike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven's Strike

Kathleen
Tired of young super-heroes who save the world single-handedly? This series offers a family of valiant hearts and their close comrades.

I want another sequel, with the whole gang!
This is fantasy, with light romance, wizards, gods, demi-gods, trolls, vampirism, ghosts, shapeshifters, etc. Lively and lovely characters cemented this heartwarming and sometimes action-packed adventure story. Themes of redemption, coming of age/ growing into one's gifts, and love conquers all: brotherly love, familial
Jacey
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This is the second half of the Seraph and Tier story which picks up right after Raven’s Shadow finishes. Seraph and her family are on their way home with their new-found Traveler (sic) friends, but it soon becomes apparent that beating the secret society – The Path – wasn’t the only battle they had to win. There are still shadowed creatures becoming ever more bold and the one who escaped them at the end of Raven’s Shadow is still very much active and an increasing danger. When it becomes apparen ...more
Beth
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dead-tree, re-reading
I wish there was a third book. I know the story is done but I want a 500 page gratuitous epilogue about who the kids grow up to be and see what the Empire shakes out to be.
Davor
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
well, with Patricia Briggs you never now where the story will go. I was so certain that I had it all figured out, when bom in just one page she flips everything upside down. So many surprises, you're just sitting there and thinking "how did you just come up with that, and I didnt expect anything" Just bloody amazing. Loved the development of the characters and how they grew through the book.The story was amazing. There was alot of talk about magic and how it worked, and why can somebody do that ...more
Heather
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Harry Potter/fantasy fans
Recommended to Heather by: my awesome mom
Even more exciting than the previous book. What I loved most about this book was the great bond between Seraph and her husband Tier. They would truly do anything for each other, although they don't always agree. Seems pretty realistic to me.
Hilary
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I found these less engaging than her later books (and the reissued Aralorn series), and a little dry in style. The characters just didn't quite resonate with me till well into each book. I kept reading though, even when jet-lagged, which has got to be worth something.
momokaachan
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Oh, my this was a wonderful story. Five stars even though it can't stand, really, without the other half of the series - and one might be able to read the first half as a stand-alone, but would miss so much. Awesome good read.
Nicole Geub
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
finished off strong. this book was harder for me to get into but was worth the finish. my last book gave me a hangover so the opening chapters of this one were hard for me to get through. lots of recap from the last book with some new character development. I don't think I'll read it again but if you're looking for a fun fluff space filler, raven's shadow and raven's strike are good.
Joe
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Despite the 3 stars, I really enjoyed this series. It's rare to see an adventure involving a whole family of protags.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, fantasy
4/5; 4 stars; A-

Part two of a duology. Really good fantasy adventure. Well narrated by Jennifer James Bradshaw.
Emily
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, shifty
Uhm, rather different than the first one, the "adventure" took place in the last quarter of the book really but maybe that's more the "action" i still felt the characters weren't ever really fleshed out. the bad guy was obvious but i don't think he wasnt supposed to be, there was another bad guy though that slipped through the cracks for me.

Seraph and her family are returning safely home to recoup and regroup knowing that the Shadowed one will be coming for them. Hennea chooses to stay with the
Blodeuedd Finland
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasyromance
I liked it, but at the same time I was really confused. It seems that some books I can pick up years afterward and just go with the flow. But this one suffered even though it had only gone a year since I read book 1. It was like I was trying to find my way to the dark, and the same thing happened throughout the entire book. So I would say that if you read book 1 then read book 2 fast, that could have saved it for me.

Still, I liked it cos it is Briggs. Sure it is not my kind of epic fantasy. It i
Liz
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, series-book
Much too complicated for me- new magic rules kept coming up changing the outcomes. The constant reminders that magic and emotions don't mix got old; I knew who the bad guy was about the first time he was introduced about 1/3 of the way through. I skipped about 1/4 of the book after I got halfway through and didn't seem to miss anything. She is best at character development but short on the action I expect in fantasy. I love her Mercy Thompson series which seems to keep getting better so will go ...more
Tracey
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 4-star
Well written and fun; natural dialogue and well-made worlds for interesting characters to play in: that is what Patricia Briggs is all about. The duology of Raven's Shadow and Raven's Strike, with a really interesting and I think unique structure of magic. My only issue with these books at all is that she always uses the word "quit" - "He quit talking"; "She quit asking". It always seems too modern an idiom to me, and nudges me out of her world a little; just once I'd love her to say "stopped" o ...more
Penny Raspenny
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
What an amazing read!

I'm all for this kind of fantasy genre now. How is it called exactly? Straight forward fantasy? Epic fantasy? Not sure, I usually call it boys' fantasy, but I'll add it in the genres I'm interested in. It's settled!

I have to congratulate Patricia Briggs for the world building and the amazing characters. The Travelers' history and abilities were very interesting. I enjoyed this book better than the first but this might be because I was not much in a mood for reading at the
Tasha
Jun 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I have no idea what the point of this book was. The story was resolved in the first book and there was no need to come back to it. Any questions I might have had regarding this family were not answered.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Like the first book in this series, Raven's Shadow, this book is well plotted and has many interesting characters. I always enjoy Patricia Briggs' fantasy writing. This is no exception.
Petula Darling
Overly complicated and really boring.
Mary
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Meh.
Kate
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book and unheard of 5 stars.
It's not so much for just this book, as it is for the duology as a whole.

I have read almost every work by Briggs, but The Raven series was one that I had missed since they were released shortly before her Mercy series burst onto the scene. The characters were flawless and worked together like a well oiled machine; one completing the other with little to no effort. The story line was also surprisingly tight. Many time I'm left hanging at the end of a
Francais Parker
Villains: A++++++
Girl Power: A++
Guy-Hero: A++
Love-Interests: A++

Patricia Briggs has done it again!
The world that she built is captivating and the mythology she created for the very foundation of this series is beautiful. Very immersive. The conflicts, politics, and intrigue are enthralling. I was loathe to set the book aside, but alas, one must sleep sometime!

For you clean-readers: this book does NOT have sexual conten
Sharon Hughson
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm sad to see the end of this world and these characters. The magic system is unique and on par with Brandon Sanderson's masterful invention for the MISTBORN universe.
Really, I love the Raven's family. I want all of them to live happily ever after.
I was a little surprised/disappointed in the reveal of the villain because it felt obvious and nearly anti-climactic, but it didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the character arcs of the major and minor characters in this duology.
A must read
Anne
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Sequel (and conclusion?) to Raven's Shadow.

Loved the character development and plot twists in this continuation of previous story. Was a satisfying conclusion - but there is opening for a continuation (although it was written long enough ago, I don't think that is going to happen.)

A few sexual situations and references but definitely less graphic than other YA books in my library, so could work for middle/high school students.
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was the second and last book in the series. The series was well written, and very interesting. I liked to plot line, as well as the activities taking place in the story the two books tell. While the books were not the kind you can't put down until you finish, they were interesting enough that you don't want to put them down and stop reading them. This series I would classify as one of the few series I would reread at some point in the future.
Larry Cowan
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a long time coming into the story, but it was worth the wait to tie all the pieces together.

I ran across this book while looking for a book with the same title, and I am glad I did. Patricia Briggs bring her characters to life in away that will be hard to forget. I am looking forward to reading more of this author's books.
Meredith
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fantastic conclusion to the Raven books. I'm not gonna lie-I'd read more about Tier and Seraph and their family, because they're great. But I'm happy with where we ended up. If you only know Patricia Briggs from her urban fantasy, you're selling her short. Give her traditional fantasy a shot.
luna
patricia briggs is a bard, herself...she writes amazing adventures and creates beautiful characters who steal your heart. i adore that she preserves the characters who feel like family, while sacrificing some poor souls...because war.
Mary Hartshorn
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Patricia Briggs did an incredible job of answering so many questions, as well as ended the story to right a centuries old wrong! Very good story! I highly recommend that you read this book AFTER you read Raven's Shadow.
Renee Barattini-Daniel
Raven's Strike

Raven's Strike is an enthralling sequel to Raven's Shadow. Patricia Briggs has created a beautiful and believable magical world, filled with strong, unforgettable characters, and a fascinating plot line.
Kyssmagnum
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked how it took part straight after the first book, but I would have wanted a little better ending or more books in the same universe, maybe more about the children? When they have grown up and that?
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Feb 15, 2015 04:11PM
  • Hidden Truth (Truth, #2)
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
  • The Nascenza Conspiracy (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #3)
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
  • Echoes in the Dark (The Summoning #5)
  • Reader and Raelynx (Twelve Houses, #4)
  • Horizon (The Sharing Knife, #4)
  • Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)
  • Royal Destiny (Queen of the Orcs, #3)
  • The Mountain's Call (White Magic, #1)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na
More about Patricia Briggs

Raven (2 books)
  • Raven's Shadow (Raven, #1)
“Time was such an odd thing. One moment you could talk to someone, then suddenly, they were gone.” 91 likes
“Some truths are truths, no matter who says them.” 77 likes