Start by marking “Suspicion of Deceit” as Want to Read:
Suspicion of Deceit

Suspicion of Deceit (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #3)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  313 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Miami attorneys Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana return in a sizzling new legal thriller. Gail finds her world spinning out of control when her fiance, Anthony, is questioned in the deaths of several people with ties to Cuba. Gail's investigations on Anthony's behalf seem to lead only to more questions, and the realization that she will soon either save--or destroy--the ma ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 358 pages
Published January 1st 1998 by Dutton Adult

To ask other readers questions about Suspicion of Deceit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suspicion of Deceit

Sherrie74
I recently came across all my Barbara Parker books in basement and wondered why I never finished them. I remember buying all of them after picking up the first one and loving it. Now close to end of #3 I fully know why.

At the beginning of Bk #3 there is a disclosure that her main characters background have been changed slightly ...... why?? What did really change was the female character of Gail O'Connor who now seems to be not as "grown-up and mature" as her character was previously. Her getti
Connie Becerra
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok read. Had me guessing what I thought was going to be the end. Not really my kind of read, though.
Jenene
The back and forth between Gail and Anthony was ridiculous and immature. The plot may have been more believable during the time it was written but now seems contrived. The last 50 or so pages were the best part of the book. The earlier books were much better and I hope this book is not indicative of what's to come.
Karen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you're into the politics of Miami in the 90's an the tensions between the Cuban immigrants and Miami at large, you may enjoy this.

Oh, and if you like opera.

Otherwise, don't waste your time.
Evan Bolick
Nov 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a mess! That's the best thing I can say about this. The first problem is centering a convoluted plot involving assassination and a dark secret past centered around a production of an opera whose main star antagonizes the Cuban exile community. Its hard to feel any sense of urgency when 1) Cuban exiles, to my knowledge, have never engaged in acts of wide-scale violence, and 2) the Exiles are angry because the lead in an Opera performed in Cuba at some point in time.

Taking an already hard to
Bob
Sep 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Set in Miami, Florida this novel follows Attorney Gail Connor in her Pro Bono job with the local Opera Society as their lawyer. The Society has hired a singer for its upcoming production and it has gotten out that he has preformed in Cuba in the past and this is causing problems with the Cuban exile community spurred on by a very vocal radio host. Gail’s possible intended is also a lawyer and Cuban born. His family are prominent in the Cuban community and while he has all appearances of a good c
Gramy
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gail Conner’s is an attorney that represents the Miami Opera in this third book of the series. She is drawn into a pending crisis by the rising young bass-baritone, Tom Nolan and a recent discovery about a questionable incident in her fiancée’s, Anthony Quintana, past. Nolan scheduled to play Don Giovanni in Mozart's opera in Miami, which some Cuban exiles objected to because he sang in Castro's Cuba about two years ago. There was an awful lot of attention on political implications about Cuba an ...more
Jackie
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder, political conflicts, family hassles, love troubles all abound in this story. Since I grew up in Miami, the Cuban political conflicts causing conflicting opinions between the different groups of people created a personal connection for me. I enjoyed the tangled web of the characters past and the Cuban history.

Lara
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a little trouble following the whole Cuban issue since I'm really not in touch with the political issues there and in Miami. It was a good plot, though, but the ending felt a little rushed. It was well written, anyway, and it was a good read, but I wouldn't bother to go out of my way to read anymore of this series.
Lynne
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The back and forth of Gail over Anthony just didn't seem real. I had a hard time believing or caring for any of the characters and the plot line seemed contrived. I did finish it. But thought about putting it down several times.
Melissa
I just found out that I've been reading this series out of order. That makes me mad! Anyway, I liked this book. It wasn't as exciting as some of the others in the series, but it was okay.
Marti
Feb 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I learned from this book is hard to tell because I read it four years ago. Barbara Parker is a good author, and I'm sure that it is a decent read.
Beth Britnell
May 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not very gripping.
Pauline Rogers
Book 3 of Series
Natalia
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used to love these characters. I don't think I do anymore. They're missing some kind of depth and life to them. :(
Linda
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is such a great series and an interesting couple but Ms. Parker has died so the final outcome of this relationship will never be known. I loved this couple so I am very sorry to see it end.
Leslie
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Barbara Parker.
LeeRoy
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is classified as "mystery/thriller" and fits the description with an elaborate plot and lots of action. I enjoyed the book and will read others by Barbara Parker.
Anne Wysocki
Peggy Spillman
Apr 28, 2009
Wanda
Apr 09, 2012
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3)
  • Loving Time (April Woo, #3)
  • Looking Back
  • Captive Embraces (Captive, #2)
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • The Last Hostage (Kat Bronsky #1)
  • Key Witness
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Irresistible Impulse (Butch Karp, #9)
  • Extreme Justice (Ben Kincaid, #7)
  • Murder at the National Gallery (Capital Crimes, #13)
  • Nocturne (87th Precinct, #48)
  • Kick Back (Kate Brannigan, #2)
Barbara Parker (1946 or 1947–2009) was an American mystery writer. She wrote 12 novels, the first of which, Suspicion of Innocence, was a finalist for the Edgar Allan Poe Award for best first mystery novel by an American author. Parker was on the national board of the Mystery Writers of America and was the chair of its membership committee for two years.
More about Barbara Parker...

Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana (8 books)
  • Suspicion of Innocence (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #1)
  • Suspicion of Guilt (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #2)
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • Suspicion of Malice (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #5)
  • Suspicion of Vengeance (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #6)
  • Suspicion of Madness (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #7)
  • Suspicion of Rage (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #8)