Start by marking “The Water Kingdom (The Water Novels, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Water Kingdom (The Water Novels, Book 1)

The Water Kingdom (The Water Novels, Book 1)

For seventeen-year-old Nell, life is about to take a chilling turn.

Raised by a workaholic uncle and used to being over looked in a crowd, Nell has found life to be rather dull and uneventful…Until the day of a school field trip out to White Shell Lagoon. Going against her nature, Nell bends a rule – and makes a shocking discovery.
Now she has a secret that no one will bel
Published January 30th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Water Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Water Kingdom

Start your review of The Water Kingdom (The Water Novels, Book 1)
A. Powers
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: look-for-sequel
Nell is a nobody, a loser. That girl whose goal in life is to just make it through another day. But when she sneaks onto a field trip against her uncle’s wishes, her life is suddenly thrown upside down. Sebastian is a future king, and he’s gone on a rogue mission from the water kingdom in attempts to rescue the long-lost future queen, only to get stuck on earth with no way back unless he can find the queen and a special locket. He certainly never expected to cross paths with Nell...

I can’t say
Heidi
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seventeen-year-old Nell has always been overlooked in school, crowds, and even by her distant uncle. Until she meets Sebastian, a young man who has taken upon himself to accomplish a dangerous mission to safe his deteriorating kingdom. While the protagonists have seemingly different lives, the two begin to learn how much in common they actually have.

Written in alternating perspectives, Ms. Gray, has created a mystical world where the reader can easily be swooped into. I am excited for the next o
CorrieGM
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deborah J. Gray, The Water Kingdom

I liked the book very much.
The protagonists feel real, the diference between their worlds is nice. A good idea to let them speak in different modes of speach: both peak English, but his is very stilted.
This is not only a story of two different worlds, it is also a story of growing up, choosing what you want to do with the rest of your life, realizing there will always be restrictions.

I am looking forward to part two.
Jenny_acc
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable book, that i couldn't put down. It is a good mix of action, romance, humour and adventure and i really liked the interactions between the characters (especially wayne and sebastian).
SBC
I really enjoyed this - it was the most entertaining young adult fantasy romance I've read in a while. Sort of like Looking for Alibrandi meets Twilight - but with interesting sea-people instead of vampires. It was fun and well-paced and I'm intrigued to find out what happens next!
Kim  Gregory
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
I quite enjoyed this interesting story until I ran into a cuss word! Bummer! I don't read stories with cussing in them, so I didn't get very far into it.
Rebecca Blackwell Read
The Water Kingdom is a teen/young adult novel with two separate narratives telling the stories of Nell, a 17-year-old girl living in the human world, and Sebastian/Saebeorht, who has crossed over from another realm to fulfil a self-appointed mission. The story opens with Sebastian's crossing, pulling the reader immediately into the action and throwing a bunch of unanswered questions their way. We then move into Nell's POV and switch between the two for the rest of the novel.

Nell and Sebastian ha
Michelle Randall
Reviewed for Readers Favorite

For Sebastian, the only choice he feels he can make is to take action himself and look for the missing queen, even if it means he can never go home again. This way at least someone is actually doing something, not just sitting around. Nell has lived a structured and rigid life, never breaking a rule, but never feeling she fit in either. Stowing away on a field trip that she never got permission to go on is the biggest rule break she has ever done, and she is sure so
Sheri
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Water Kingdom (The Water Novels, Book 1) by Deborah J Gray

Seventeen year old Nell lives with her very busy Uncle. She is a bit of a loner and doesn't have any friends. She goes on a class trip and soon discovers something unbelievable and amazing. Deep below the sea holds many secrets, Nell is soon to uncover. She meets a boy with beautiful purple eyes, she is certain he is not human.

Sebastian is from another realm, and he wants to reclaim what was once taken. This may not be easy, and it ce
Linda
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review, and I MUST read the sequel! Ms. Gray was unknown to me and the title had me doubting if it was a good choice. Nell Cunningham was raised by a workaholic uncle, only knowing her parents had given her to him to raised as a toddler. At ten she searched the internet but it was like they'd vanished from the earth. Now, as her eighteenth birthday neared she couldn't wait to leave her uncaring uncle and go to college!

Sebastian knew if h was caught i
Angela Oliver
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
An enjoyable teen adventure that kept me up a little too late last night. The Water Kingdom is competently written with a well-paced plot and an intriguing background mythos. The direction of the plot was, perhaps, a little too easy to put together, and felt a little too convenient, especially later in the novel when a certain Uncle was conspicuously absent, for reasons I do not truly understand. I was hooked fairly early, but did find my attention somewhat waning around 70%, especially after th ...more
E Lowe
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. As a debut novel it was well-written, fun, filled with suspense and easy to read.
I found the characters believable, and the entire plot easy to follow and I'm now looking forward to the next instalment.
Bob
Jan 20, 2018

• Worlds Apart: A Third Culture Kid's Journey
  • Life in High Def
  • A Prophet with Honor: The Billy Graham Story
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
  • Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)
  • On the Edge (The Edge, #1)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant, #1)
  • The Way Home
  • Polaris Rising (Consortium Rebellion, #1)
  • A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table
  • The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears at the World's Most Famous Cooking School
  • American Cake: From Colonial Gingerbread to Classic Layer, the Stories and Recipes Behind More Than 125 of Our Best-Loved Cakes
  • The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks