Start by marking “The Tower of the Swallow (The Witcher, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Tower of the Swallow (The Witcher, #6)

The Tower of the Swallow

(The Witcher #4)

The world has fallen into war. Ciri, the child of prophecy, has vanished. Hunted by friends and foes alike, she has taken on the guise of a petty bandit and lives free for the first time in her life.
But the net around her is closing. Geralt, the Witcher, has assembled a group of allies determined to rescue her. Both sides of the war have sent brutal mercenaries to hunt her

Published May 19th 2016 by Gollancz (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Tower of the Swallow, please sign up.
Darill Not really. The Tower of the Swallow is sixth book in the Witcher series (fourth book about Geralt and Ciri), so you are not going to understand the…moreNot really. The Tower of the Swallow is sixth book in the Witcher series (fourth book about Geralt and Ciri), so you are not going to understand the plot, world, politics or characters. You really need to read the previous books to enjoy this one.(less)
Andrew Ruble This seems to be the way that it was written. It is mildly interesting, especially the extremely small breaks that only contain one or two sentences.

Start your review of The Tower of the Swallow (The Witcher, #6)
Evgeny
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
How can I give an outline of the plot of the sixth book of a series without giving huge spoilers? So here you are, a huge spoiler:
Spoiler

Sufficient to say, the book picks up right where the previous left which is logical considering that nothing whatsoever was resolved by the end of that one - actually I had a feeling it ended practically in mid-sentence. Let me just say that we will see the fate of all interesting major people from the previous installment. None of them ended up with happily ever
James Tivendale
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I received a review copy of The Tower of the Swallow in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Andrzej Sapkowski and Gollancz. Minor spoilers may follow.

The narrative begins with a hermit called Vysogota finding what he believes is an injured boy in a forest. It transpires that this young gentleman is actually the girl, Ciri and she is very close to death. The hermit takes her to his shack which is untraceable unless you know it's there and prays that he can aid her recovery. He was
Joey Woolfardis
This review can be found on Amaranthine Reads.

The Witcher series by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski continues, with the Child Surprise Ciri travelling around with a bunch of thieves and bandits called the Rats, whilst Geralt, sorcerers and the Emperor send out people to find her.

This series has plummeted to the very depths of tedium. Every book has melded in to one and it's difficult for me to remember this particular one, though I do recall my consternation at the random change of narrative
Michelle
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witcherverse
I really really want to love this book, but the honest truth is that --this one is really not that great. “The Tower of Swallows is a difficult book to define, or even to recap. The writing feels lost: ambling around without direction, constantly jumping scenes, and forgetting about Geralt altogether about half-way through the book.

Of note, “The Tower of Swallows” isn't really about the eponymous witcher, Geralt of Rivia. Most real estate is devoted to Ciri telling the story of how she escaped
Sr3yas
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believe it or not, the hero of this installment is not the Witcher, Yennefer or Ciri. It's Andrzej Sapkowski and his masterful storytelling technique, which utilizes various POVs, narrative styles and multiple timelines across the centuries and locations. He weaves a narrative yarn which should have been confusing but surprisingly turns out to be fresh, sharp and fun to read.

I bow down before you in supreme awe.

Mild spoilers are the necessary evil, they are necessary.
----------------- Sreyas,
Markus
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with Celise!

"I'm Ciri from Kaer Morhen. I'm a witcher. I came here to kill."

Daaaamn.

Quite possibly the best book in the main saga.

Ramblings to come.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at the BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/05/24/...

I am so in love with these audiobooks. Peter Kenny is the incontrovertible voice of this series, making all my favorite characters come to life with his authentic reading style and superb acting. Fan translations of these books have been around for a while, but I don’t mind waiting longer if it means I can enjoy the audio editions; every time I jump into a new book, it’s like coming home to old friends.

The Tower of
Samir
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.
Celise
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with Markus, who actually led me to discover this amazing series in the first place.

The previous book in The Witcher series was a little bit choppy, with each change in point of view requiring some adjustment. By comparison, The Tower of Swallows is like a river being fed by a bunch of little streams. All of the different characters' scenes flow easily together to tell the larger story, and as a reader it's so easy to be carried along the current while observing all of the terrible
Caro the Helmet Lady
I'll put it simply - this book was great, maybe even somewhat better than the ones before. And it made me a bit sad because I know it's all almost over and I know HOW exactly it all will end... I wish I could take a break from reading for a while but now I simply can't!

This is where you adore Yennefer.
This is where you have mixed feelings for Geralt.
This is where your fingers hurt from crossing them for Ciri.
This is where you start thinking of all possible sequels and prequels never written...
Lesa Divine
3 or maybe 3.5

I have to admit Yennefer to me make me be bored. Hate reading from her point of view it takes away my excitement of the storyline even though her storyline fits in I just don't like her.

Hate there wasn't enough chapters with Geralt ugh. It's like just a chapter and two had him in it. Other important characters and Ciri and Yennefer had lots more chapters.
That ending though. Watch how Ciri growth has improved a lot.
Enjoyable but not the best in the series.
Franzi
4 Stars

I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Baptism of Fire, but it's still a great addition to the story (especially since there is a lot more of Ciri in here!).
Corinna
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I continue to be confused by this series. It's like having that moody coworker, and you never know which mood they'll be in when they show up in the morning. Will they be the life of the party, and you'll have the best shift ever? Will they show up grumpy and make you want to leave in ten minutes?

I never know if the next book I open will be full of adventures and delightfully horrifying creatures that Geralt and Ciri beat against all odds OR if we're going to have a dry, pointless installment
Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski
The story of Geralt,Ciri,Yenefer and Dandelion keeps getting better and more complicated with each book. Character growth is really good and the worldbuilding expands everytime showing us some new and interesting places. These books have a habit of being a 4 star read up until like the last 50 or so pages and then "wow" happens and I have to give it 5 stars. Slowly getting ready for the last book and the grand finale. Hopes are high:)
Anirudh
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
When I began reading the Witcher Saga, as I made progress through the series a fear began to grow in me. Although I dismissed it at first, now I've come to the realisation that it was true. Sapkowski had a story big enough for a novella and stretched it over five books.

Even though the book starts well and one gets the false sense of hope that the book is finally getting somewhere after the disaster of the previous books. But one soon realises that despite turning page after page we get no where
Jessica {Litnoob}
I was very frustrated by the fact that we are all still separated here. Like it drives me nuts. Also the complete lack of foreshadowing about certain revelations can be annoying. But beyond that I enjoyed being able to see everyone and touch base with where they are. Also the lack of rats here made me happy because I didn’t like they one bit lol.
Rich Hackford
If a picture is worth a thousand words, the illustration on the cover contains almost as much excitement as the entire 400+ page novel.

I will finish this series because I'm already six books deep, but I will do so begrudgingly. The Witcher stopped being fun about three books ago and instead became a massive (and tedious) fake history lesson.

I don't care about the politics anymore. It's not intriguing. It's not interesting. It's work; it's work remembering everyone's names, it's work keeping
Kat  Hooper
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com
Thomas Stacey
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Witcher book so far.

After being absent most of the last book, it's good to see Ciri take centre stage. She becomes a much darker character as the story progresses, thanks to the brutal mercenaries sent from different sides of the conflict to hunt her down. Definitely still my favourite character and I can't wait to learn her fate in the final book.

There's a lot more plot progression compared to Baptism of Fire which, while very well written and entertaining, seemed to suffer from
Mizuki
The more I read into this series, the more I have doubts with it. For example, why the people in this high fantasy 'swords & magic' world are using terms which are very similar with us modern men and women's? Why they seem to know about genetic engineering? Does this mean the humans in this world had once come from our world, somehow?

Still, aside from my doubts and the lack of explanation, I still found myself enjoying this series. The characters are still going strong whilst the political
Wayne
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

Sometimes with a long series I can struggle as I am nearing the last few books.
Not this time however as this book really kept my interest and brought in some new plot points.

The world building too is just fantastic. It perfectly evokes the period of the time but does bounce back and forward in time a bit (as a book of the Witcher should). It's very vivid and really evokes a strong sense of what is happening with the plot. Also I haven't mentioned it before but the creature descriptions
Marquise
Leave it to Mr Sapkowski to grant your wishes with a bucketful of lemons to suck on! Not enough POVs, you said? Here, have half a dozen of theem in every single chapter. Too many jumps back and forth in the timeline, you said? No, there wasn't enough of them. Here, have some more jumps back and forth . . . And so on.

Personally, what I found most jarring was the late introduction of a certain revelation that came completely out of the blue, without the remotest of remote hints in any of the
Simon
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. And I guess that's a problem.

The Tower of the Swallow is a book that isn't particularly concerned in taking the reader forward. It's questionable whether it stands on its own or as part of the wider series*. Imagine a collection of slice of life stories if the proverbial loaf was shuffled, squashed, and thrown to the ducks for nibble. There's call backs, call forwards, irrelevant asides**, narrative dead ends, meanderings, and unrhythmic repetitions***. There's
Julie
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘I have enormous eyes, all the better to see you with!’ shrieked the great, iron wolf. ‘I have enormous paws, all the better to seize and hug you with! Everything about me is enormous, everything, and soon you will discover it for yourself. Why are you looking at me so strangely, little girl? Why do you not answer?’

The witcher girl smiled. ‘I have a surprise for you.’

- Flourens Delannoy, The Surprise, from the book Fairy Tales and Stories

I finished this last night and then fiiiinally started the
Jerry
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not read the official translation. I read a fan translation. Was still very good. The tone was not lost from the "official" translations of the previous books I read. Grammar and slang are great too. Do not hesitate to read the fan translations. They are free to download all over the place. Just make sure to purchase the official copy later so Sapkowski and his translation team do not get shafted.

This is the darkest of the books in the series. Sapkowski adds a few new characters that you
Chris Thomas
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not the best, but still pretty good. Lots of action, bit of intrigue and very little of the Witcher. This book focuses on Ciri and her quest to find the Tower of the Swallow. The Saga doesn't move on very much, but still an entertaining read. Suffers from the Sane thing book three suffers from, stretching a story out to fill more books. I feel we could have got to this point midway through book 3.
Melinda
4.5
That last chapter was everything!
Can’t wait to see how this will end...
M.S.
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f
3,5 stars
Kaya
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m so tired of the stretched plot where for 80% of the book nothing significant happens. They’re all witty and willing to go places, but it looks like they’re stuck. I love Ciri and Geralt and admire Yennefer’s strength and bravery. She turns out to be the biggest hero of them all. Despite it, I fail to accept that four books can serve as complete fillers.

The series returns its focus to Ciri and her quest to find the Tower of the Swallow. She has adopted a new identity and settled into life
Plots and Points
Squeaked the re-read in at the last minute! I had forgotten how fantastic Tower of the Swallow is but damn it all if this isn't a strong candidate for the overall best book in the Witcher series.

Picking up some time after end of Baptism of Fire, The Tower of the Swallow follows Ciri's story much more than Geralt's and really brings her character development to a head.

At this stage it's imprudent to discuss any sort of plot summary but rest assured all of the plot threads that have been

• The World of the Witcher
  • The Witcher, Vol. 1: House of Glass
  • Metro 2033 (Metro, #1)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 2: Fox Children
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 3: Curse of Crows
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Metro 2034 (Metro, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Metro 2035 (Metro, #3)
  • The Witcher Library Edition Volume 1
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 2 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #2)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 1 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer #5)
  • Право на поединок (Волкодав, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

The Witcher (5 books)
  • Blood of Elves (Witcher, #1)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
“Lepiej bez celu iść naprzód niż bez celu stać w miejscu, a z pewnością o niebo lepiej, niż bez celu się cofać.” 41 likes
“Why should I give up revenge? On behalf of what? Moral principles? And what of the higher order of things, in which evil deeds are punished? For you, a philosopher and ethicist, an act of revenge is bad, disgraceful, unethical and illegal. But I ask: where is the punishment for evil? Who has it and grants access? The Gods, in which you do not believe? The great demiurge-creator, which you decided to replace the gods with? Or maybe the law? [...] I know what evil is afraid of. Not your ethics, Vysogota, not your preaching or moral treaties on the life of dignity. Evil is afraid of pain, mutilation, suffering and at the end of the day, death! The dog howls when it is badly wounded! Writhing on the ground and growls, watching the blood flow from its veins and arteries, seeing the bone that sticks out from a stump, watching its guts escape its open belly, feeling the cold as death is about to take them. Then and only then will evil begin to beg, 'Have mercy! I regret my sins! I'll be good, I swear! Just save me, do not let me waste away!'. Yes, hermit. That is the way to fight evil! When evil wants to harm you, inflict pain - anticipate them, it's best if evil does not expect it. But if you fail to prevent evil, if you have been hurt by evil, then avenge him! It is best when they have already forgotten, when they feel safe. Then pay them in double. In triple. An eye for an eye? No! Both eyes for an eye! A tooth for a tooth? No! All their teeth for a tooth! Repay evil! Make it wail in pain, howling until their eyes pop from their sockets. And then, you can look under your feet and boldly declare that what is there cannot endanger anyone, cannot hurt anyone. How can someone be a danger, when they have no eyes? How can someone hurt when they have no hands? They can only wait until they bleed to death.” 21 likes