Start by marking “The Tower of the Swallow (The Witcher, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Tower of the Swallow (The Witcher, #6)

The Tower of the Swallow

(The Witcher #4)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  78,986 ratings  ·  3,451 reviews

The world has fallen into war. Ciri, the child of prophecy, has vanished. Hunted by friends and foes alike, she has taken on the guise of a petty bandit and lives free for the first time in her life.
But the net around her is closing. Geralt, the Witcher, has assembled a group of allies determined to rescue her. Both sides of the war have sent brutal mercenaries to hunt her

Published May 19th 2016 by Gollancz (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Tower of the Swallow, please sign up.
Darill Not really. The Tower of the Swallow is sixth book in the Witcher series (fourth book about Geralt and Ciri), so you are not going to understand the p…moreNot really. The Tower of the Swallow is sixth book in the Witcher series (fourth book about Geralt and Ciri), so you are not going to understand the plot, world, politics or characters. You really need to read the previous books to enjoy this one.(less)
Andrew Ruble This seems to be the way that it was written. It is mildly interesting, especially the extremely small breaks that only contain one or two sentences.

·  78,986 ratings  ·  3,451 reviews

Start your review of The Tower of the Swallow (The Witcher, #6)
Woolfardis
This review can be found on Amaranthine Reads.

The Witcher series by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski continues, with the Child Surprise Ciri travelling around with a bunch of thieves and bandits called the Rats, whilst Geralt, sorcerers and the Emperor send out people to find her.

This series has plummeted to the very depths of tedium. Every book has melded in to one and it's difficult for me to remember this particular one, though I do recall my consternation at the random change of narrative sty
Michelle
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witcherverse
I really really want to love this book, but the honest truth is that --this one is really not that great. “The Tower of Swallows is a difficult book to define, or even to recap. The writing feels lost: ambling around without direction, constantly jumping scenes, and forgetting about Geralt altogether about half-way through the book.

Of note, “The Tower of Swallows” isn't really about the eponymous witcher, Geralt of Rivia. Most real estate is devoted to Ciri telling the story of how she escaped
James Tivendale
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I received a review copy of The Tower of the Swallow in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Andrzej Sapkowski and Gollancz. Minor spoilers may follow.

The narrative begins with a hermit called Vysogota finding what he believes is an injured boy in a forest. It transpires that this young gentleman is actually the girl, Ciri and she is very close to death. The hermit takes her to his shack which is untraceable unless you know it's there and prays that he can aid her recovery. He was formal
Sr3yas
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believe it or not, the hero of this installment is not the Witcher, Yennefer or Ciri. It's Andrzej Sapkowski and his masterful storytelling technique, which utilizes various POVs, narrative styles and multiple timelines across the centuries and locations. He weaves a narrative yarn which should have been confusing but surprisingly turns out to be fresh, sharp and fun to read.

I bow down before you in supreme awe.

Mild spoilers are the necessary evil, they are necessary.
----------------- Sreyas, t
Deborah Obida
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, fantasy
Tower of Swallows is another great instalment to the Witcher series. Though I love it and think it's a great book I have a few issues with this.
●I didn't like the way the story is told
●Geralt was barely in this, the part that he was in was almost inconsequential.
●The writing is below average, I think it has something to do with the translation.

Apart from the above I pretty much like everything about this book. Just how Baptism of Fire was Geralt's book this is Ciri's book. The plot follows Ciri'
Rich Hackford
If a picture is worth a thousand words, the illustration on the cover contains almost as much excitement as the entire 400+ page novel.

I will finish this series because I'm already six books deep, but I will do so begrudgingly. The Witcher stopped being fun about three books ago and instead became a massive (and tedious) fake history lesson.

I don't care about the politics anymore. It's not intriguing. It's not interesting. It's work; it's work remembering everyone's names, it's work keeping trac
Edward
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
sigh...
Markus
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with Celise!

"I'm Ciri from Kaer Morhen. I'm a witcher. I came here to kill."

Daaaamn.

Quite possibly the best book in the main saga.

Ramblings to come.
Dana Ilie
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a story about family, friendship, love and loyalty. It’s funny, heartwarming and sarcastic, It’s brutal, unforgiving, and disturbing. It’s also relentless in the way it keeps expanding the infinite grayscale that drives the actions and choices of the characters; with believable character interactions. You need to be one hundred percent focused to keep-up with the twist, turns, and time jumps, if you’re able to keep that focus, the story told is absolutely fantastic.
I really like the wri
Sara
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently self isolating with covid 19 symptoms and this was everything I needed right now.

As I always say in these Witcher reviews - these books are not going to be for everyone. There's a lot of, often dry, political and court talk. A lot of plot points and characters that disappear for whole books and don't turn up or come to fruition until 3 books down the line. You have to play the long game, but my God the character development and pay off is worth it.

This feels very much like Ciri's
Cori
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I continue to be confused by this series. It's like having that moody coworker, and you never know which mood they'll be in when they show up in the morning. Will they be the life of the party, and you'll have the best shift ever? Will they show up grumpy and make you want to leave in ten minutes?

I never know if the next book I open will be full of adventures and delightfully horrifying creatures that Geralt and Ciri beat against all odds OR if we're going to have a dry, pointless installment t
Bradley
This is some hardcore cool Fantasy. Far from having any kind of tired storyline, it always feels fresh and surprising even though, by all rights, it OUGHT to fall into so rather obvious directions because... we WANT it.

But that's where the joy comes in. :) The pacing is fast and just when you think you've got a handle on certain things, there's always that little wrench in the works. :)

I admit I teared up during certain events. And it isn't entirely isolated with events featuring only Ciri. She
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at the BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/05/24/...

I am so in love with these audiobooks. Peter Kenny is the incontrovertible voice of this series, making all my favorite characters come to life with his authentic reading style and superb acting. Fan translations of these books have been around for a while, but I don’t mind waiting longer if it means I can enjoy the audio editions; every time I jump into a new book, it’s like coming home to old friends.

The Tower of Swall
Anirudh
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
When I began reading the Witcher Saga, as I made progress through the series a fear began to grow in me. Although I dismissed it at first, now I've come to the realisation that it was true. Sapkowski had a story big enough for a novella and stretched it over five books.

The book starts well and one gets the false sense of hope that the book is finally getting somewhere after the disaster of the previous books. But one soon realises that despite turning page after page we get no where because the
Caro the Helmet Lady
I'll put it simply - this book was great, maybe even somewhat better than the ones before. And it made me a bit sad because I know it's all almost over and I know HOW exactly it all will end... I wish I could take a break from reading for a while but now I simply can't!

This is where you adore Yennefer.
This is where you have mixed feelings for Geralt.
This is where your fingers hurt from crossing them for Ciri.
This is where you start thinking of all possible sequels and prequels never written...
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷 Support me

“It is better to go forward without a goal, than to have a goal and stay in one place, and it is certainly better than to stay in one place without a goal.”

The Last Wish ★★★★
Sword of Destiny ★★★★
Blood of Elves ★★★ 1/2
The Time of Contempt ★★★ 1/2
Baptism of Fire ★★★ 3/4
The Tower of Swallows ★★

Unfortunately, this was my least favorite in the series so far and I am even hesitant to continue the last book but I will do it because I n
Celise
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with Markus, who actually led me to discover this amazing series in the first place.

The previous book in The Witcher series was a little bit choppy, with each change in point of view requiring some adjustment. By comparison, The Tower of Swallows is like a river being fed by a bunch of little streams. All of the different characters' scenes flow easily together to tell the larger story, and as a reader it's so easy to be carried along the current while observing all of the terrible th
Elle
Mar 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hellooooo I am BACK to finish the Witcher books!!! 2021 will be the year of completing previously paused or abandoned fantasy series for me.....and hopefully not doing the same thing to all of the new ones I start this year. 😬

I do think I figured out why it takes me so long to finish one of these novels after I start it. I mean, have I been racing through books lately anyways?? NO, but that’s not the point. It’s two things; one, that Andrzej Sapkowski’s favorite tactic is extremely long chapters
Samir
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.
Jen - The Tolkien Gal
Review to come. That ending hyped me up and helped me through the dreary parts of the book. (Dreary more in the sense that it got dark and sad). I'm really excited about starting Lady of the Lake, but it's so bittersweet. ...more
Amanda NEVER MANDY
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, the-witcher
Ciri makes a new friend when her wounded heart needs one the most and Geralt continues on his path to reach her before the wrong people do.

The group of people that are forming around Geralt fascinate me. Each individual person has their own unique story and it is enough to make the reader want to pause the current story to delve into their backstories. I do applaud an author that takes the time to bring that extra to each character and doesn’t just insert them as a generic bit to carry the s
Franzi
4 Stars

I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Baptism of Fire, but it's still a great addition to the story (especially since there is a lot more of Ciri in here!).
Lesa Divine
3 🌟 or maybe 3.5 🌟

I have to admit Yennefer to me make me be bored. Hate reading from her point of view it takes away my excitement of the storyline even though her storyline fits in I just don't like her.

Hate there wasn't enough chapters with Geralt ugh. It's like just a chapter and two had him in it. Other important characters and Ciri and Yennefer had lots more chapters.
That ending though. Watch how Ciri growth has improved a lot.
Enjoyable but not the best in the series.
Emma
May 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This installment of the Witcher saga started off really strong with Ciri recounting her story. I was super into it and loved the storytelling method. And then we switch to Geralt & Co for some more "and then they walked" sprinkled with a little "and then they made weird sex jokes." Zzz.

Pacing sucks. Why are we still being introduced to 968 new characters in EACH book this far into the "story" as it were? STOP and just tell me a STORY. The story thus far is basically 3 main people running all ove
¸¸.•*¨*•♫ Mrs. Buttercup •*¨*•♫♪
“They are not demons, not devils... Worse than that. They are people.”

Miloș Dumbraci
Nov 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abandoned after 150 pages.
A huuuuge letdown after an amazing series and a terrible, really bad book compared not only to the previous 5 Witcher books (5/5 all of them), but to itself or to the fantasy genre in general.
It is unoriginal. Uninteresting.
Sapkowski experiments with numerous POVs and it goes terribly. He experiments with some parallel worlds and somewhat scifi concepts and it goes terribly.
He gives up on Geralt as a character and develops only the uninteresting and annoying Ciri - no
Amanda Hupe
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
I decided to wait to read The Tower of Swallows by Andrzej Sapkowski because I was going through the series too fast. I wanted to be able to enjoy it a bit more. This is the 4th book in the series, which means I am almost done. Once again, Geralt joined with Milva, Regis, Cahir, and Dandelion, who are still in search of Ciri. They know about the fake Ciri who is intended to marry the Nilfgaard emperor. However, there is no other evidence that the real Ciri is alive. She was last with a group of ...more
Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski
The story of Geralt,Ciri,Yenefer and Dandelion keeps getting better and more complicated with each book. Character growth is really good and the worldbuilding expands everytime showing us some new and interesting places. These books have a habit of being a 4 star read up until like the last 50 or so pages and then "wow" happens and I have to give it 5 stars. Slowly getting ready for the last book and the grand finale. Hopes are high:) ...more
Gary K Bibliophile
Another great addition to the series. While I didn’t enjoy it as much as Baptism of Fire (I miss the dwarves and I wanted more Geralt and Dandelion banter - haha), it continued with some interesting storylines and had an interesting ending. The style of unfolding the story in the form of first person accounts was interesting too. On to book 5 😀
Jonathan O'Neill
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-fantasy
Tower of the Swallow is another good entry into the Witcher series but it suffers a little from Geralt's snail pace arc and some odd time hopping. This is nothing new for the series but it was the first time that it wasn't executed all that well. In the latter half of the book, Sapkowski mentions the date like 1000 times as all 3 arcs are happening at different times. It feels a bit messy.

There is much more of Ciri in this entry which is great because at this point her arc is the only

• Wiedźmin. Szpony i kły
  • Dune Messiah (Dune, #2)
  • The World of the Witcher: Video Game Compendium
  • Children of Dune (Dune, #3)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Fire & Blood (A Targaryen History, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Of Flesh and Flame (The Witcher, #4)
  • House of Glass (The Witcher, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
See top shelves…
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

The Witcher (6 books)
  • Season of Storms (The Witcher, #0)
  • Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1)
  • The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, #2)
  • Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, #3)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)

Related Articles

Want to know which adult fantasy books are trending now with your fellow readers? We dug into the genre's current movers and shakers to see what's...
“Why should I give up revenge? On behalf of what? Moral principles? And what of the higher order of things, in which evil deeds are punished? For you, a philosopher and ethicist, an act of revenge is bad, disgraceful, unethical and illegal. But I ask: where is the punishment for evil? Who has it and grants access? The Gods, in which you do not believe? The great demiurge-creator, which you decided to replace the gods with? Or maybe the law? [...] I know what evil is afraid of. Not your ethics, Vysogota, not your preaching or moral treaties on the life of dignity. Evil is afraid of pain, mutilation, suffering and at the end of the day, death! The dog howls when it is badly wounded! Writhing on the ground and growls, watching the blood flow from its veins and arteries, seeing the bone that sticks out from a stump, watching its guts escape its open belly, feeling the cold as death is about to take them. Then and only then will evil begin to beg, 'Have mercy! I regret my sins! I'll be good, I swear! Just save me, do not let me waste away!'. Yes, hermit. That is the way to fight evil! When evil wants to harm you, inflict pain - anticipate them, it's best if evil does not expect it. But if you fail to prevent evil, if you have been hurt by evil, then avenge him! It is best when they have already forgotten, when they feel safe. Then pay them in double. In triple. An eye for an eye? No! Both eyes for an eye! A tooth for a tooth? No! All their teeth for a tooth! Repay evil! Make it wail in pain, howling until their eyes pop from their sockets. And then, you can look under your feet and boldly declare that what is there cannot endanger anyone, cannot hurt anyone. How can someone be a danger, when they have no eyes? How can someone hurt when they have no hands? They can only wait until they bleed to death.” 51 likes
“No one wants to suffer. But that is the fate of each. And some suffer more. Not necessarily of their own volition. It's not about to enduring the suffering. It's about how you endure it.” 47 likes