Start by marking “Kickin' Up Dust (Operation Cowboy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kickin' Up Dust (Operation Cowboy, #1)

Kickin' Up Dust

(Operation Cowboy #1)

This Marine follows the rules. This cowgirl is all about breaking them.

Operation Cowboy, Book 1

After losing his best friend and CO, Matt, in combat, Brodie Bell didn’t think his spirits could sink any lower. He was wrong. One look at his and Matt’s storm-flattened hometown nearly levels him.

Los Vista needs a leader, and as Brodie takes the weight of the world on his

Published July 19th 2016 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Kickin' Up Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kickin' Up Dust

Start your review of Kickin' Up Dust (Operation Cowboy, #1)
Vasiliki
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

ARC kindly provided by RockStar Lit in exchange of an honest review.

This is the story of Danica and Brodie, both of them are feeling loss and lust!

This is my first real cowboy story and it was really nice and smooth! The book is really nicely written and the plot is moving quite fast! Ms. Petrova is busy with two major issues in this book except the romance, a soldier coming back home and a city disappearing due to a disaster. Both of issues are dealt with respect and it warmed my
Ariel Marie
New author for me

Nice story that kept my attention. First time reading this author. I think it was a good start to a series. I would be willing to read another from this author.
Mary
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wicked
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

I didn't even have to read the blurb to know I *had* to read this book. I've ready enough of Em Petrova's books to know that this would be one that I would not be able to put down and I wasn't disappointed in this one at all.

This book took all sorts of plot twists and angst and wrapped them up in tidy, or untidy, love story that kept me on my toes from the first page to the last.

Brodie Bell is a Marine, a long time resident
Donna Repsher
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review and here it is: 5 stars.

Recently discharged Marine, Brodie Bell, and several of his friends and fellow veterans from Los Vista, Texas, are returning home together from Afghanistan. Sadly, their commanding officer and childhood friend, Matt Pope, isn't among them, having been killed during their deployment and it's his duty to return Matt's dogtags and the flag that draped his coffin to his parents and his sister Danica, who live on
Ruthie Taylor
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

The first in a new series, this sets the scene of a town in Texas devastated by a freakish tornado. Returning home to find their town gone, a group of ex-Marines, less their CO, try and pick up the pieces. Here we get Brodie's story, CO Matt's best friend and neighbour's full of grief for his friend and PTSD from all he experienced. And what a moving and passionate one it turns out to be.

Danica, Matt's sister has been
Beanimous
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am a Em Petrova book virgin. This is my first time. I didn't think it will be good.... I didn't think I will enjoy it...I didn't think I will be affected by the dirty words and smutty scenes.....but darn it, I did and I do.

I am keeping this review short, simply because I can not wait to get more books from this author as soon I finish this review.

This book is sexy, smutty, dirty and lots of fun to read. Very likable heroine and lovable hero. I did, however, find the hero's hot & cold
Cheryl Sanders
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't imagine how Brody and his friends felt upon their return from deployment and saw their hometown. Realizing that nothing is where it's supposed to be. Why didn't anyone tell them?
Things change. People change. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's tragic. It's about embracing the good and coming together to change the bad.

I was so sad for Matt and everyone that lost him. With everything going on, Brody was taken by surprise by the beauty of Matt's little sister all grown up. She's every
She Hearts Books
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Em just flat out gives good cowboy with a bit of kink kicked in to boot. I loved her Boot Knockers series and couldn't wait to dive into a new series with her. That is another thing I love about her writing. She draws me into the lives of the people she writes about and Brodie and Danica were one of those couples I loved getting to know and immerse myself in their world. And we are talking some serious scorch with these two. I so enjoyed their story and can't wait to read more in the series.

I
Elaine Swinney
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story. I was given a copy of this with the request to leave an honest review. I loved the story. It is well written. I found Em Petrova about a year and a half ago just by accident, I have not been disappointed with any of her books. I encourage everyone to get this book. This one is worth your time and effort. The characters grab your attention and they become real. This book starts a new series and I can't wait to read the next book in this series.
Emily
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Kickin' Up Dust" (Operation Cowboy Book 1) by Em Petrova is a fantastic read! I absolutely loved Brodie and Danica! This story has hot cowboys, military, passion, humor, over coming loss, new beginnings, and more. This is a excellent start to a new series. I can't wait to read what happens next. Highly recommend to all fans of romance, hot cowboys, military, and series.
Christine Woinich
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story. It is hot with heart. Brodie has returned from war with one less friend. Danica lost her brother and seeing his friends brought back those terrible feelings. Together, Danica and Brodie grow closer to and hotter for each other until they could no longer deny feelings. I highly recommend this story.

I was given a copy of this story in exchange for an honest review.
Kathy Wideman
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brodie and his friends who grew up and served in the marines with are coming home missus one, their friend Matt. They come home to quite the surprise. Their town was hit by a tornado and is gone. The only two farms left are Brodie’s family ranch and Matt’s family ranch. After talking to his family and Matt’s little sister Danica they agree to try and merge the two ranches. Danica was just a little girl in pigtails when her brother and Brodie left. Now she is a grown woman. A woman Brodie finds ...more
Kathy Wideman
Stacy Jordet
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It had many elements in it that I liked - men in uniform, cowboys, sassy woman, hilarious friends, loyalty and hard work.

Brodie returns home after getting out of the Marines to find out that his town has been leveled due to a tornado a couple months back. He is still grieving the death of his best friend and has volunteered to bring his stuff back to his family. There he runs into his friend's sister who is all grown up. The chemistry between Brodie and Danica
Donna Feibusch
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Awesome Book!

I loved reading Kickin’ Up Dust, all about Brodie Bell a marine/cowboy who is coming home after three tours with his BFF’s dog tags and his flag & Danica Pope is his BFF’s little sister who is all grown up waiting for somebody to just drop by. Brodie and his buddies are home in Los Vista, and the town has just been devastated by a tornado. The town has been flattened, except for the two ranches up on the ridge. The Bell & Pope Ranch are still standing, but their fence
Deb Diem
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kickin' Up Dust by Em Petrova is a great western romance. Ms. Petrova has supplied readers with a book that is well-written and furnished with fun, lovable characters. Brodie is returning home along with his buddies after their military service is done. When they arrive in town to find an empty tornado-ravaged town they travel on to Brodie's ranch to find little damage there. Danica is Brodie's best friend's sister, the best friend that died in his arms. Brodie and Danica's story is packed with ...more
Pamela
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Brodie cane home to find the
town he loved was gone.
so was the his best friend
She was trying to grieve her brother
Help her oarents, and run a ranch.
She loved him as a kid but now
as he walked back into her life
she lived him more. Two ranches
struggling can they come together
In more ways than one. Em Petrova
Brings you on a journey where you
dontn think your emotions can handle
The sadness.. settle back and follow
two lost souls find the happiness the
so deserve
WB
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow Kickin'Up Dust by Em Petrova is another truly well written story by Em. This story touches on a few very hard things in life (such as grief) that was extremely well written with care & respect all whilst an underlying love story with grit & determination unfolded.
I loved this story & can't wait for more Operation Cowboy.
LaGina
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
All I can say is OMG! This is one of those reads that will have you gasping out loud and shaking your head. The characters in this book face so many obstetrical that you wonder if they will come out the other end in one piece. What a great start to a new series. I cant wait to read more in the Operation Cowboy series.
Diane
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cowgirl meets cowboy soldier

Well this is a different book from the usual em Petrova. Not what I was expecting but did enjoy it, good storyline and characters....
Yes there are sex scenes but the storyline is good. I just felt the parents and grief kinda bogged it down with no real insight provided. Going to look at the next one before I give thumbs up to new series.
Marie Lapointe
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read

Just have to love it. Ex Marines coming home minus one, finding destruction. The part I wasn't to thrilled about was her not ending a relationship once and for all, and blaming everything on Brodie. Granted what he said wasn't right but the whole town knew she was receiving text messages from someone else that she let continue. All-in-all it was a good story.
Esther Phelps
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marine. Returns

When this Marine brings his.best friends remains home he finds his home town
devastated by a tornado. Helping to rebuild in the community, his ranch, plus refinancing his best friend's sister what a hot combo.
Sandy
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Danica and Brody belonged together from the start. It takes a while for him to realize it though. The journey makes for a great story.
April
Jan 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't keep my attention

The story had promise at first but just kept getting stranger and childish. I didn't finish the book. Better luck next time.
Karen Roma
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
While the title might lead you to believe this is a light-hearted, fun romp to pass a little time, nothing could be further from the truth. Kickin` Up Dust is definitely one smolderingly HOT read, with plenty of passion and raunchy sex to get that heart rate jumping; but the heart of the story is about how our soldiers return home to an inner conflict that is just as distressing as the life and death struggle of their days on the front line.

Four young men plagued by their sense of loss are
My Book Addiction and More MBA
KICKIN' UP DUST by Em Petrova is an exciting new Military Western (Marines) series, "Operation Cowboy".

Set in Los Vista, Texas, several Marines return home together from Afghanistan. Only to find their hometown a total mess, ravished by a horrible tornado, that left little standing, except two ranches. While, some returned home, one did not, Brodie Bell's best friend and CO, Matt Pope. Devastated, tormented by inner convicts, grief, survival guilt, PTSD, heartbroken, and a sense of shame, these
Diane
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet, sexy and heartfelt…

What could be better than a cowboy? Well a marine who is also a cowboy! This is a friends to loves romance that tugged at my heart from the beginning. Brodie and Danica were going to go through wars on and off the battlefield that were going to test them, and their families and friends, to the breaking point.

Loss, how do you deal with it? The loss of a best friend, a comrade in arms. The violent death of a beloved son and brother. We all deal with grief in different
Lena Dublin
This was the first book I've read from Em Petrova and it won't be my last. This book is a nice little treat. It's filled with heart and heat.

Brodie and his buddies come home from their tour of duty dreaming of home cooked meals and long rides on their ranches. Their dreams are soon crushed when they find their town has been leveled by a horrible storm. Still in shock, they go off to their homes to see what is left. By God's grace Brodie's house and ranch are still standing along with his best
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for a honest review.

Brodie and three out of four of his military buddies return home after serving their country. Their best friend, Matt, was killed in action. They expect to get back to their former lives, ranch, and relax after their military stent. What they came home to was devastation of a different kind. Their beloved town was leveled in a tornado three months previous. There were only a few ranches remaining. The church, businesses, and school had all been
Julie Barrett
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this emotional, sexy romance from Em Petrova. Kickin' Up Dust is the first book in a new series, and this book gets the series off to a great start with Brodie and Danica's story. Em Petrova brilliantly balances humour, raw emotion, love and passion to create a book that I couldn't put down. It is sad in places, but there is also a great sense of hope and new beginnings.

Brodie and his friends return from combat to find their hometown flattened by a recent storm. He also has a

• Hitched (Tarnation, Texas, #1)
  • The Cowboy's Son (Tarnation, Texas Book 2)
  • The Cowboy’s Contract Marriage (Grant Brothers #2)
  • The Cowboy’s Rodeo Rival (Grant Brothers #3)
  • Racing Hearts (Bennett Boys Ranch, #3)
  • The Cowboy’s Surprise Nanny (Grant Brothers #1)
  • Buck Wild (Bennett Boys Ranch, #1)
  • Protected by the Lawman (Lawmen of Wyoming, #1)
  • Riding Hard (Bennett Boys Ranch, #2)
  • Swim Deeper (Keepers of the Swamp, #1)
  • Wanted by the Lawman (Lawmen of Wyoming, #2)
  • The Billionaire's Trust (Covington Billionaires #1)
  • The Rancher's Unexpected Baby  (Brothers of Cooper Ranch #2)
  • Baby For The Mountain Man: A Mountain Man's Baby Suspense Thriller Romance (Mountain Daddies Book 1)
  • The Secret Billionaire (Covington Billionaires Book3)
  • Cowboys Don't Have a Fake Marriage with Their Best Friend's Sister (Sweet Water Ranch Billionaire Cowboys Book 4)
  • Second Chance Ranch (Three Rivers Ranch Romance #1)
  • A Rancher's Heart (The Stones of Heart Falls, #1)

Operation Cowboy (2 books)
  • Spurs 'n Surrender (Operation Cowboy Book 2)