Start by marking “Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days” as Want to Read:
Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days

Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days

The celebrity dog trainer and Emmy-winning star of the CBS show Lucky Dog shares his training system to transform any dog—from spoiled purebred puppy to shelter-shocked rescue—into a model companion in just seven days.

Each week on Lucky Dog, Brandon McMillan rescues an untrained, unwanted, "unadoptable" shelter dog. In the days that follow, these dogs undergo a miraculous
Published October 4th 2016 by HarperOne (first published October 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Dog Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Dog Lessons

Start your review of Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days
Britany
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Can I just have Brandon come out and teach me?? hehe

My mom bought me this book and handed it to me for my puppy Finn. I read it almost immediately. I appreciated the real life stories Brandon introduces you to throughout each section. Everything seems pretty self explanatory and easy. (if only!). I haven't caught his show or his mission before this book, but I'm anxious to check him out now that I've read about his method.

I will continue to reach for this book as time progresses and I continue
Jan
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been checking out several training books for my pup. I really like Brandon's style and found the explanations very clear and easy to follow. I'm on board - now I just need to get my pup on board too.
Shelly
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clear and concise. Using a clicker my high energy rescue boy has learned sit and down in a couple of days, and as an added bonus now that he associates the clicker with a treat it's working like a charm to get him to come in the house without having to chase after him. I have my doubts about Mr. Business learning to stay in one place for more than a half second but I'll give it a shot. :)
Mary Elizabeth O'Connor
Helpful. Best lesson I’ve taken from this book- the face you show the world is the face you dog will show you or something like that! In other words, be confident and consistent with you pup!
Margaret F. Stretton
I very much enjoyed this book. I am a fan of Brandon's approach to training a dog - or any animal for that matter. I took away some good tips and still go back and refer to his book
Linden
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked Brandon McMillan's common-sense approach to dog training. He offers practical suggestions, accompanied by photographs, which not only help the reader to teach dogs common commands, but also address issues such as housebreaking, barking, running away, and digging. He includes interesting anecdotes about the many shelter dogs he’s trained, including some that became service dogs for veterans. Lucky Dog Lessons is unquestionably one of the best training guides I've read.
Kersten
It was ok, had some helpful pointers, but wasn’t super interesting to read. I also wish he’d give more alternative suggestion for things. He relies a lot on the “shake and break” or penny bottle. I remember trying that with my last dog and it didn’t help at all. So I am reluctant to think that will help with problem behaviors for every dog. I don’t doubt that he’s a good trainer, but maybe just not super great at explaining things.
Sonia Crites
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you have a pup that needs some training you will find some solid easy to follow advice in this book. Lucky Dog is all about rescuing, training and placing shelter dogs. Me and my two lucky dogs definitely approve of this book.
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
At least one reviewer complained that it had "too much anecdote; too little instruction." I did not agree at all! It is true that I had to flip ahead and read his description of the seven basic commands, then go back to the stories that gave it life. But I was happy to do so.

In addition to the seven basic commands that he teaches all dogs, he addresses a handful of problem behaviors and the ways to untrain them. But all the way through, he addresses the "feel how" and the "feel why" of dog train
Ka
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Brandon McMillan's Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days is chock full of helpful guidance for teaching any dog manners. McMillan is truly a compassionate expert in the field, and he brings a lifetime of experience and insight to the average owner who may be struggling with anything from basic commands to problem behavior. His step-by-step instructions make this book a lifesaver for the dog and a confidence booster to the owner. Not one to employ expensive gear or complicated language, McM ...more
Keely Ann
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We just rescued a 2 year old dog, who seems to have never heard the word sit. We're starting from scratch. I researched training books and this is one of two I purchased. I read it start to finish while teaching what I already knew how to teach. We've already gotten "sit," usually "down" & "leave it" (Brandon's "no"). There are many helpful instructions & photos to teach someone to train their dog. It's great the book includes behavioral problems, but the one we have (chasing our cats) wasn't co ...more
JennLynn
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-my-books
The best book on dog training I've ever read (and I've read plenty over the years). Brandon provides a slew of practical step-by-step instructions covering all the basics of training (sit, stay etc.) as well as tips on dealing with common problems. The absolutely best, and most refreshing thing however, is that he's honest. Other training books will make you feel like a failure if your dog can't master something like a come, but he will be frank and tell you certain types of dogs (like my beagle ...more
Bridgett
This book is super easy to read and has interesting anecdotes from the dogs he's trained over the years. What I really like is that he does a great job breaking the training down into simple steps and techniques that are not complicated or overwhelming at all. I also appreciate that he teaches empathy in a way that ultimately helps you better understand and better train your dog. He also stresses that there are distinct differences in breeds, personalities, and natural abilities of dogs and that ...more
Tanya Roberts
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy watching the Lucky Dog television series so when my family adopted a new puppy, I decided to get this book. In addition to actually having a trainer work with us I read this book and there are some very sound training suggestions and advice that coincides with what the trainer is telling us. Since our dog is a young puppy it is taking a lot of patience and longer than 7 days but I am seeing progress. I enjoyed the added stories of dogs that Brandon has actually worked with.

Although, my p
Emily Peebles
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the start, McMillan establishes himself as a trustworthy author and dog trainer. He shares his successful and challenging experiences in training thousands of shelter dogs not egotistically but humbly--his evident goal in writing this book is to impart his knowledge onto the typical dog owner looking to teach her dog to be well-mannered, and to do this for the good of the dog and all dogs who currently reside or have resided in shelters. It is clear that he truly cares for not only dogs but ...more
Margaret Blankenship
Stella and her "parents" thank you!

I chose this book in the beginning because we have a six month old Yellow Lab named Stella. We are older and she is a bundle of energy. We were beginning to think that we were in over our heads and then we found Brandon McMillan and he taught us how to really enjoy her by training her to be a well-mannered puppy. It's been a lot of work , both on Stella's part and ours but Brandon made it so down to earth and easy to understand. His love for dogs is apparent on
Kathleen Chaves
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Dog Training Book Ever

I have always struggled with knowing how to correctly raise dogs and have never identified with the dominance style of dog training that I often saw. I even had contact with a dog trainer who was trying to educate people on dominance dog training, and it felt all wrong to me. This book teaches in the loving teacher/student style I have always been looking for, and I could not be happier having read this entire book. I feel like I have a great dog guide that will last m
Christine D
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is helpful for first time owners as well as people who have had a dog. I like how he broke things down step by step. Also, not only basic training tips, but the "if your dog is really stubborn..." tips, which was helpful.
I didn't agree with all of his techniques but I think this book is a helpful training manual.
The 'outtakes' at the end of each chapter were amusing.
p.s. the author is a fine looking man, that helped :)
Angie
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!!! If you have watched the show you will actually "hear" while you read - I love that Mr. McMillan wrote the way he talks on the show! It actually helped. I have three rescue dogs - my latest one has some serious unsocialization issues so I was hoping it would help with that. I still have a lot of work to do with her, but this book helped me know I was doing a lot of the right things! Hoping he will write more books about other issues!
Julianna
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I hadn’t heard of the author before & I was kind of skeptical of reading a book by a celebrity dog trainer. But then when I read that he trains lions and bears and swims with sharks I figured there’s no way to fake that. Did I train my dog in 7 days? No. She still has several issues. But the things I have tried from the book have worked. It was really helpful to have a resource that focuses on untrained adult/rescue dogs rather than puppies, although the book would probably work for both. ...more
Cheryl S
I recently adopted a little Jack Russell terrier mix, ...named Jack....of course. So I chose this book cause Brandon has a half hour program on tv and he makes it look easy to train a dog. Well the book makes it sound easy also, but in reality it ain't. So yes, he gives very clear instructions and interesting life stories but it may not be as easy as is sounds unless you have a golden retriever that is always ready to please. Jack is not. So off to training school we go.
Abby Smith
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an entertaining read!

I’ve never read a book so fast! Learning about his dogs and experiences was just the icing on the cake - bed this book through and through. We’re working with our new pup and Brandon’s advise was just what I needed. Wish he’d just come and train for me haha but it’s good for us and happy to have this new set of tools to use on our pup.
Kim
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This awesome book helped me train (for the most part) my 7 month old puppy that we just got from the shelter. As a first time dog owner, this book helped me understand my dog and how to manage her youthfulness. His stories were entertaining and moving. He is a very interesting guy, his resume is packed, and clearly knows what he’s doing.
Aubrey
Jul 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I do not like McMillan’s style of teaching dogs. As a teacher of human children, I’m a big proponent of positive reinforcement. However, this author frequently advises you to use leashes to restrain and tug at your dog while she learns. This doesn’t seem like a positive association for learning for any dog.
Nicole
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I would watch his show when there was nothing else on a lazy Saturday morning and enjoyed his fairly common positive reinforcement techniques. He represented those very well in this book as well. I appreciated most that every chapter and situation had a story, an actual dog and scenario to compare to and gather perspective. That aspect made it a winner for me.
Caroline
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed reading this and while I'm not going to implement every step in this book, it did give me the kick in the butt I needed to train Lucy more frequently and work on her problem behaviors.
Teresa Biggie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea that Brandon was a large animal trainer. I am a big fan of his tv show . I liked that he included personal stories and personal mistakes. He spells out each of his7 commands and gives other ways of doing things, because as we all know there is no ONE way to train a dog.
Jessye
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written, informative book. I liked how he also included mistakes in it. It reinforced the idea that no one is perfect even though when you read books or watch shows about dog training it makes it look like the trainers are perfect.
Cyndy
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started watching "Lucky Dog" on Saturday mornings and saw there was a book out. It was fun reading about different dogs he has helped and I got a few tips myself for correcting some of my dog's bad habits.
Barbara Adde
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating this book as compared to other dog training books (it's hard to consider this on the same scale as other books I've read). This is more of a how to manual, and as such, is clear, well written, and definitely helpful.

• Zak George's Dog Training Revolution: The Complete Guide to Raising the Perfect Pet with Love
  • How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond
  • The Art of Raising a Puppy
  • How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Manual for Dog Owners
  • Decoding Your Dog: The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How to Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones
  • Puppy Primer
  • Training the Best Dog Ever: A 5-Week Program Using the Power of Positive Reinforcement
  • Puppy Training in 7 Easy Steps: Everything You Need to Know to Raise the Perfect Dog
  • Cesar Millan's Short Guide to a Happy Dog: 98 Essential Tips and Techniques
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing the Harmonica
  • The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs
  • The Yarn Whisperer: My Unexpected Life in Knitting
  • The Only Woman in the Room: Why Science Is Still a Boys' Club
  • White Heat
  • Wag: The Science of Making Your Dog Happy
  • From Fearful to Fear Free: A Positive Program to Free Your Dog from Anxiety, Fears, and Phobias
  • Nous les dieux (Cycle des dieux #1)
Brandon McMillan is a world-renowned animal trainer, Emmy® Award-winning host of the CBS television show Lucky Dog, and the host of Discovery Channel’s Shark Week. Born into a family of trainers and entertainers, Brandon has been working with wild and domestic animals all his life. He has trained animals for over 300 Hollywood productions and privately worked with the pets of A-list celebrities. B ...more