Start by marking “Hamstersaurus Rex” as Want to Read:
Hamstersaurus Rex

Hamstersaurus Rex

(Hamstersaurus Rex #1)

BEWARE: Rampaging Mutant Dino-Hamster!

When a mysterious growling hamster appears at the back of his class, Sam knows just what to call him: Hamstersaurus Rex. Sam tries to protect Hammie from an overzealous Hamster Monitor, and from the meanest bully in the history of Horace Hotwater Middle School. The bully isn’t afraid of some weird little class pet. But maybe he should
Published October 4th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Hamstersaurus Rex, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Hamstersaurus Rex
Megalion
The cover and the concept is really fun.

I was expecting more of a middle grade psuedo graphic novel. It's a regular book with quite a number of his drawings embedded in the story.

Sometimes I really enjoy books written for middle grades but turns out this one didn't have the appeal for my young at heart yet adult taste.

It is a good story and I'm sure kids will love it. Recommended for them with the cavaet that I didn't finish the book. I don't know if the rest of the story is as engaging.

Thank
Rajiv
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, humor
This was such a fun book to read! Sam and his pet, Hamstersaurus Rex are hilarious as the main leads. It was so funny to see the situations that they get themselves in, and how Hamstersaurus makes Sam look like a hero in front of his friends. Hamstersaurus is kind of creepy but also cute and I liked the dynamic between him and Sam. Some of my favorite parts in the story are when Martha and Sam go to the doll museum, or when Hamstersaurus makes Sam win in the Little Mister or Miss Challenge.

Sandy
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gave this to our 8 yr old grandson who is a voracious reader and he wouldn’t put the book down until he was finished with it. Heard a few chuckles along the way so I had to read it. Very good book. Looking for more by this author.
Shannon
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I picked this up for my ten-year-old, and yes, it is a story about a mutant hamster, and YES, I loved it so much I went out and immediately got the other books in the series. It is the pinnacle of mutant hamster stories, folks.
JenLovesBooks
This was a fun read. It has enough cuteness with Hamstersaurus Rex and Sam taking over everything. Right from the start there's a missing hamster, who we later find out was having a pretty hearty meal that makes him what he becomes. And, the story goes on from there. An interesting adventure for sure. Enough, to catch the attention of many middle grade readers. Looking forward to getting the rest in this series for my little ones. ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
O’Donnell, Tom Hamstersaurus Rex, illustrated by Tim Miller, 257 pgs. Harper Collins, 2016. $12.99. Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.

Brenda Lower
Silly story of a hamster that eats protein powder and becomes a menace to society! Or at least the school.. Fun stuff! Kids that like wimpy kid would like this too!
Pop Bop
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Entirely Predictable and Entirely Likable

You don't usually think of zany, slapstick dino-hamster school-daze books as character studies, but that's sort of what you have here. All of the plot complications - mutant hamster, phys ed competition, science fair, bully, miss perfect classmate, disc golf obsessed gal pal, burnt out teacher - just swirl around so that we can see how our likable hero handles the punches.

The story is told in the first person by our hero Sam Gibbs. He's an under-the-rada
Stephanie Croaning
This is a fun and humorous story featuring a mutant classroom hamster. Fans of Humphrey will enjoy this new and unique classroom pet.

Chapter book, fiction
by Tom O'Donnell; illustrations by Tim Miller
Scholastic, 2016
YHBA nominee, 2019
4 out of 5 stars

The story is told by the main character, Sam, a 6th grader. A hamster mysteriously appears in his classroom one day, and Sam takes an immediate liking to him. As the class is debating different hamster names, the tiny creature escapes his cage. While
Miranda Mercado
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
he bullied the bully

sad
Phil Lemons
This book is well written and is fun to read aloud. There are a number of clever bits, especially with (fictional) product placement throughout the book. The characters are somewhat the usual suspects for middle school, with a couple of moments of vulnerability and honesty sprinkled in.

This was a little bit of a reach for my boy entering 3rd grade—especially the teasing of romance. However, he enjoyed the jokes and all the antics that show up throughout the book.

I liked that the book has a goo
Lisa
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Sam’s 6th grade class gets a hamster, everyone is excited but before they can even decide on a name, the hamster escapes. But Sam, who has decided to call it Hamster-Saurus Rex discovers it living in the walls of the gym teacher’s office where it has eaten an extremely large dose of bodybuilding powder. Before long, the hamster has turned into a mutant, with a dinosaur like tail, super strength and a very scary roar.

This is a typical farce with crazy inept teachers, a bully bent on making
Robert
I am not certain how this ended up on my the shelf of my classroom library. I suspect it was a bonus book in a Scholastic order at some point. Anyhow, I spotted the cover and thought, "Why not?" As I inform my students, publishers spend money on cover art because that is how we choose books. Sad, I know.

This is a zany story of a class pet turning into a mutant dinosaur-hamster. Sam, hides his whereabouts and is complicit in feeding him. It is reminiscent of "Little Shop of Horrors".

And there is
Michelle
I read this aloud with my 8 year old son. He thought it was hilarious, and almost every reading session included giggles & laughter. There's not a ton to this story, just a fun and lighthearted read. The main character, Sam, discovers that a class hamster got into some questionable protein powder and it turned the hamster into a mutant Hamstersaurus Rex creature and Sam has to keep it hidden for its safety. Hammie Rex, who has a voracious appetite and the ability to wreck havoc, was surprisingly ...more
Megan
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars

Hamstersaurus Rex was a short, funny book about a boy (Sam) who's class pet is a hamster that has claws and sharp teeth.

Sam thinks he looks like a dinosaur, so he calls the hamster Hamstersaurus Rex.

This book was quite enjoyable but also quite predictable.

I could predict the by the end of the book, Sam was going to end up with Hammie(the hamster's nickname) safe and sound. He was going to overcome the bully, and life was going to be good.

Overall, it was a funny read and young kids wil
Rebecca
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the book because the crazy ness continues. I like the comedy!!!!!!!!!!!
- written by a 7 yr old

I like the hairless cat and that Hamstersaurus Rex didn’t die!! - written by a 4 yr old

As the mom, I love a book that appeals to everyone. For my taste I might rate at 3.5 or 4, but the kids say it’s a 5 star book. There’s a good amount of silliness and some laughs for grownups as well as a moral to the story. We will be reading the next in the series.
Alicia
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I legitimately laughed at this story of a classroom pet that turns into a half-dinosaur mutant after scarfing down a huge jar of bodybuilder powder called Dino Blast. Sam hides Hammie and the hamster ends up helping him win a gym class contest, defeat the school bully, and win back the goodwill of classmates he earlier alienated with his caricatures of them.
Leigh Isley
Hamsters can cause all kinds of problems!

One morning Hamstersaurus Rex a hamster just appeared in a cage in Mr. Copeland's classroom. All the kids were excited but after the hamster gets into the PE teacher's protein powder he really becomes a hamster with a vicious attitude that will send you on one fictional adventure indeed!

For Ages: 2nd - 4th grades
Lindsay
Nov 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I read it with my 9-year-old and we had a lot of fun reading it together. He is a reluctant reader and has historically avoided novels, opting for graphic novels and younger chapter books. The illustrations throughout the novel made for a good transition for a big kid novel, and the funny plot kept him engaged.
Theresa Grissom
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story! Fun and goofy, kids will enjoy reading this one. I read a small part to my 10 year old son and he stole the book from me and is now reading it on his own. Love to hear him giggle at the book. This will be popular with the students at school.
Glen
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me and my six year old son love this series. I'm not sure which is our favorite, but I know I enjoy reading them. Well written, interesting, and even realistic characters. My son always wants me to read more. Fast reading and fun times! ...more
Philip
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious action in school!

My 11 year old son really enjoyed this book, it becomes our nightly book reading material. Unfortunately, the next book is not on Kindle Unlimited, so we can't continue to the next book. That's really pity...
Monica Hocking
Sep 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BORING!
that weird kid Ezra
good book, but a little crazy...
Karen
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-read-aloud
Boys thought it was hilarious and want the next book in series. I’d give it a 3 or 3.5 at best.
Leah Gannon
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My boys (6 and 8) loved this book! They laughed out loud through its entirety. This is a funny read for children ages 6 and up. I'd definitely recommend it. ...more
Sharie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hoosier Read
If you like books like "Middle School Worst Years..."
Holly  Brown
I was not a huge fan of this book. I'm sure that there are a lot of kids that would find this book good. I could see my boys liking this book. ...more
Meredith
Fans of diary of wimpy kid will like this.
Lindsey
I read this to my 4 year old, who loved it. I think it’s one he will enjoy reading on his own in the future.

• Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Happy Narwhalidays (a Narwhal and Jelly Book #5)
  • Horse Meets Dog
  • Where Is the Mississippi River?
  • Snappsy the Alligator and His Best Friend Forever (Probably)
  • Margarash
  • What's Cooking, Moo Moo?
  • Investigators
  • Our Favorite Day of the Year
  • Dinosaur Boy
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant (Hilda, #2)
  • InvestiGators: Take the Plunge
  • Dog Man: Grime and Punishment (Dog Man, #9)
  • Die Duftapotheke (Duftapotheke #1)
  • Das Rätsel der schwarzen Blume (Duftapotheke #2)
  • Dinosaur Boy Saves Mars (Dinosaur Boy, #2)
  • The Boy and the Gorilla
  • Two Many Birds
Tom O'Donnell has written for The New Yorker, McSweeney’s, and several TV shows. Tom lives with his wife and kids in Brooklyn, NY. ...more

Hamstersaurus Rex (4 books)
  • Hamstersaurus Rex vs. Squirrel Kong