Start by marking “Diplomatic Immunity” as Want to Read:
Diplomatic Immunity

Diplomatic Immunity

Aspiring reporter Piper Baird decides to write a scathing exposé on the overprivileged students at an elite Washington, DC, school, only for her life to change when she begins to fall for the story's main subject, in this new realistic contemporary romance from Brodi Ashton, the author of the Everneath trilogy.

Raucous parties, privileged attitudes, underage drinking, and d
Published September 6th 2016 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Diplomatic Immunity, please sign up.
CapesandCovers From what I understand, yes, this book will be a standalone.
Casey Mei Nagel The book All Fall Down is similar, or so i hear (i haven't read diplomatic immunity yet...) was this book (diplomatic immunity) clean??

Start your review of Diplomatic Immunity
JJ.
Jan 30, 2015 marked it as no
Early book blurb: "...only to find herself falling in love with the baddest boy of all."

the baddest boy of all

not just a bad boy, but also the baddest bad boy of all bad boys
so bad
badder than bad
the baddest
Eri
Dec 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF at 23%

I was really excited to read this book, I really was. The premise made me think of The Fixer and Embassy Row series, both of which I quite adore. Yet right away, several things made me uncomfortable.

First of all, the love interest-esque character Rafael Amador, who's the son of the Spanish Ambassador. Which is all fine, except there are some very cringe-worthy stereotypes that are used in relation to him perpetuate by the heroine.

"Standing before me was the most exotic, rugged, beaut
Sarah Elizabeth

“Everyone here is going for the Bennington.”

This was a YA contemporary romance featuring a girl who wanted to be a journalist.

Piper was a very focused girl, and she was really intent on winning the Bennington prize for journalism. She did sometimes let her drive blind her to what she was actually doing though, and it seemed obvious to me that she was going to hur
Alyssa

Publication Date: September 6, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Raucous parties, privileged attitudes, underage drinking, and diplomatic immunity...it’s all part of student life on Embassy Row.

Piper Baird has always dreamed of becoming a journalist. So when she scores a scholarship to exclusive Chiswick Academy in Washington, DC, she knows it’s her big o
may ❀

I don’t know why, but for some reason, I had HUGE expectations going into this book. I thought it was going to be some compelling coming-of-age story that was super cute and really fun to read…

Instead I got a typical love story that was kinda fun to read.

Its all about how rich kids get extra benefits than the rest of society and while it might have some truth, perhaps for entertainment purposes the truth was stretcchhheeeddd quite a lot.

The MC was funny, I have to give her that. Sometimes t
Jen Ryland
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked Brodi Ashton's Everneath trilogy - yes, it was chockful of adolescent angst and had a love triangle, but also a compelling narrative voice and a lot of humor. So I was excited to read Diplomatic Immunity, which takes place at an exclusive Washington DC prep school. This cover and title scream "political intrigue" to me and I went in expecting something like Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls or Embassy Row books or Jennifer Lynn Barnes' Fixer series.

But no, this is a contemporary romance. And
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Hella predictable. Narrow-minded main character. I am disappointed.

Not what I was expecting. I feel like the title was wasted on a romance. Where is the intrigue and excitement of discovering secrets? There are so many romance novels published every month. I just wanted to read about regular folks uncovering rich people's secrets. Where are those books at?

I had a problem with the 'exotic' love interest, or should I say, the messy main character talking in such a manner about a person from a di
Jodi Meadows
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
Official comments: I laughed. I swooned. I giggle-snorted in public. Brodi Ashton’s signature wit is perfect for this charming and romantic tale of investigative journalism, diplomatic drama, and duct-taped jeans. Don’t miss DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY.

Unofficial comments: This book was FANTASTIC. I'm going to have a blurb for it very soon. But if you like Anna and the French Kiss, prepare yourself: you'll love this book.
Stacee
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I downloaded this strictly off of Brodi's name and from the title, I was expecting something political. That couldn't be further from what it is.

I really liked Piper. She's ambitious and relatable and her inner monologue is amusing, but her lack of filter is hilarious. Raf is the only other character we really get to know. There are scenes with her parents and brother, but everyone and everything is kept arm's length. It's a very effective way of showing Piper's constantly looking at life throug
Lainey
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Actual Rating: 2.5/5

Ugh, it hurts me to rate this book this low, it really does. This was one of my most anticipated releases of 2016 and it was sadly a huge letdown. The writing was great, but that's honestly my only positive. The subplots and the plot just killed this story. I felt like there was no ending to anything, especially the subplots never...really... They didn't take off. And then they just disappeared without any resolution or tapered off with poor story telling.

There were moments
Ari
May 10, 2016 marked it as abandoned
This is way too "young" for me.
It started great but it soon became silly. The main character is driven only by her frustration of being poor (which is petty, if you ask me) and the "don't drink before 21" propaganda is getting on my nerves already.

I gave it a 50% chance, but I can't finish reading it. Sorry. Maybe you will enjoy it better.

ARC received for review.
Melanie
Jan 28, 2015 marked it as to-read

I REALLY WANT THIS, OKAY?
Debby
1 star

How... did we end up... here. After loving Brodi's Everneath series and her latest co-writing adventures in My Lady Jane ... Between all of that, I figured this was an author that couldn't possibly lose my love. But I guess there are still some surprises to be had in the world. Diplomatic Immunity just wasn't good.

So this is a story of the uber-privileged kids in Washington D.C. Piper winds up at their school on a special scholarship and hopes that it'll be able to get her a win in
Keertana
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I'll admit it: Diplomatic Immunity was a tad bit disappointing. I enjoyed Ashton's debut series quite a bit--I didn't love it but I was impressed by the characterization and, mostly, the complex world-building--so I expected a lot from her latest installment. For the most part, Diplomatic Immunity delivered. Just...not to the extent I wish it had.

Piper is an aspiring journalist and I absolutely loved her voice throughout this novel. When she wins a scholarship to attend a prestigious private sc
Alexa
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
3.5 stars. I really love that the vibe of this one is a bit different from all of the contemporaries I've been reading lately! It's a mix of Nancy Drew, Scandal, Gossip Girl... at least in term of the vibe. Main character Piper is definitely a piece of work, and it's a little hard to understand or connect to her at first. Eventually, however, I understood where she was coming from and I actually came to admire her tenacity paired with her social awkwardness (which reminded me of myself). It was ...more
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Oh, please, yes.
description

Diplomatic Immunity is a standalone YA contemporary.

The narrator is high school senior Piper Baird. She comes from a lower middle class family. Her little brother is autistic (he is one of the highlights of the story).

Piper is a journalist for her high school newspaper. She receives a scholarship to the exclusive Chiswick Academy in Washington, DC. This school is full of spoiled rich kids.

Piper desperately wants to win the Bennington scholarship so she can go to college. But the competition is f
Emma Sonck
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOSH! Can I please give this book more than 5 stars?!?! It was so so so good.

Before I get into this review I want to say that I have had the privilege to receive an ARC of this book. I got it at a book convention that I recently went to. That being said this review is NOT sponsored in anyway. All thoughts and comments on this book are completely my own.

Now that we have that out of the way lets get to the fun stuff. . .

This book is amazing. It was one of those books that sucks you in and do
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Jan 22, 2015 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: arc, yabc

I CAN'T DO THIS TO MYSELF ANYMORE. I QUIT.

Piper's narrative voice is killing me and she's utterly terrible at being a serious journalist. She's making me feel ashamed of my three years as a reporter and senior editor for my high school newspaper, she's so bad. Bumbling all over the place, unable to keep her story straight while performing investigative journalism, and generally coming off as annoying when she wants to be spunky.

This is a book I feel would have benefited from a darker tone. Pictu
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 47

I am cringing so hard at the diversity (which starts out by calling the Spanish love interest exotic) and the clumsy Bella Swan nature of the protagonist. Read The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes instead.
Valynne Maetani
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This book is hilarious. I love Brodi's sense of humor and no one does romance like she does.
Sophie
I recently read My Lady Jane, a book that was co-written by this author, and when I heard about Diplomatic Immunity, I added it to my wish list. Political books have become an interest of mine recently, and I was hoping this book would add to my ever growing list.

Diplomatic Immunity tells the story of Piper, a high school senior who dreams of nothing but becoming a journalist, travelling the world, reporting on important cases. When she gets offered a scholarship to the prestigious Chiswick Acad
Fictional World Dreamer
Awww, super cute and hilarious! This was a quick and enjoyable read.
AWWWW

Diplomatic Immunity by Brodi Ashton was super fun and hilarious. I haven't had the pleasure to read Everneath series yet. Even though, I had her books for so long on my bookshelf. But now that I read Diplomatic Immunity. I have to read it.

The Ms. Brodi Ashton’s writing was outstanding. Usually YA Contemporaries are a miss for me, but this one was actually quite enjoyable. The first half of the book was pretty hilarious. I loved
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

When I first read the synopsis for Diplomatic Immunity, I was really excited. I felt like this would be a unique story because of the journalism factor in YA, and I also knew that there would be romance between Piper and Rafael. I kind of expected there to be a hint of mystery as well, and I just sounded so interesting to me. However, I was disappointed by this book.

Piper Baird is the type of character that I hate reading about in young adult novels that I read. There are
AH
I've been watching a lot of TV lately, much to the detriment of my reading. I can't seem to stop watching shows like Scandal, How to Get Away With Murder, and House of Cards. This book reminded me a little of those shows, but not in a good way. You see, I feel like I have already read or seen this book before.

Diplomatic Immunity is the story of Piper Baird, a high school student who gets a once in a lifetime chance to attend a prestigious Washington, D.C. school. There, she meets Rafael Amador,
Juhina
Jan 22, 2015 marked it as to-read
wow boarding school and a gossip girl setting? and a bad boy? yes please!
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Budding journalist Piper Baird has just been given a scholarship to an elite private school, where she finds herself not as editor-in-chief of the school newspaper, but doing scut stories that in her mind, are beneath her. For someone who rails at the wealthy students in her school, she’s even more judgmental about them than they are about her. Piper sets out to expose the secrets of her wealthy classmates.

Under different circumstance, Piper could have been a thoroughly intriguing character, but
Nicole
Oct 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is poorly written, vaguely racist, completely inconsistent, has unlikeable and shallow characters, is riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes, and straight up is inaccurate on not only basic DC geography but also diplomatic immunity itself. one would think you'd take some time to research the topic that is literally the title of your book.
Alexa
Wasn't there a quest in Skyrim called Diplomatic Immunity where you had to infiltrate the High Elves' base or something?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• My Unscripted Life
  • The Wrong Side of Right
  • Map of Fates (The Conspiracy of Us, #2)
  • Going Rogue (Also Known As, #2)
  • Also Known As (Also Known As, #1)
  • This Is My Brain on Boys
  • You Don't Know My Name (The Black Angel Chronicles #1)
  • A Gallagher Wedding (Gallagher Girls, #6.5)
  • The Fixer (The Fixer #1)
  • The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us, #1)
  • Changes in Latitudes
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • See How They Run (Embassy Row, #2)
  • Always Never Yours
  • Flower
  • Biggest Flirts (Superlatives, #1)
  • All Fall Down (Embassy Row, #1)
  • The Library of Lost Things
I write Young Adult novels. I eat cinnamon bears. I love me some Diet Coke.

My debut book EVERNEATH (the first in a trilogy) comes out Winter 2012 with Balzer and Bray (Harper Collins).

I'm represented by Michael Bourret at Dystel and Goderich Literary Management.