Jump to ratings and reviews

Snow Like Ashes #3

Frost Like Night

Angra is alive, his Decay is spreading—and no one is safe.

Meira will do anything to save her world. With Angra trying to break through her mental defenses, she desperately needs to learn to control her own magic—so when the leader of a mysterious Order from Paisly offers to teach her, she jumps at the chance. But the true solution to stopping the Decay lies in a labyrinth deep beneath the Season Kingdoms. To defeat Angra, Meira will have to enter the labyrinth, destroy the very magic she’s learning to control—and make the biggest sacrifice of all.

Mather will do anything to save his queen. He needs to rally the Children of the Thaw, find Meira—and finally tell her how he really feels. But with a plan of attack that leaves no kingdom unscathed and a major betrayal within their ranks, winning the war—and protecting Meira—slips farther and farther out of reach.

Ceridwen will do anything to save her people. Angra had her brother killed, stole her kingdom, and made her a prisoner. But when she’s freed by an unexpected ally who reveals a shocking truth behind Summer’s slave trade, Ceridwen must take action to save her true love and her kingdom, even if it costs her what little she has left.

As Angra unleashes the Decay on the world, Meira, Mather, and Ceridwen must bring the kingdoms of Primoria together…or lose everything.

488 pages, Hardcover

First published September 20, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sara Raasch

13 books5,719 followers
Sara Raasch has known she was destined for bookish things since the age of five, when her friends had a lemonade stand and she tagged along to sell her hand-drawn picture books too. Not much has changed since then — her friends still cock concerned eyebrows when she attempts to draw things and her enthusiasm for the written word still drives her to extreme measures. Her debut YA fantasy, SNOW LIKE ASHES, the first in a trilogy, came out October 14, 2014 from Balzer + Bray. It does not feature her hand-drawn pictures.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
759 (5%)
1 star
209 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,630 reviews
Profile Image for Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin.
3,363 reviews9,426 followers
September 26, 2016
DEAR BOOK COVER.....

Well, it's over . . . Winter, Autumn, Summer, Spring. Yeah, I went backwards.

So many people die. That's what happens in a war. People you love, like, hate.

Meira is taken in by Rares and his wife, Oana. They are part of the Order of the Lustrate. Not only do they give Meira a few revelations, they teach her how to use her power to the fullest. How to control herself. How to defeat Angra and his Decay.

I love that more people came together to help the Winterians in the battle against Angra. I love there was a happy ending for a few people but was very saddened at some of the people that died.

There really isn't a whole lot for me to say without giving out spoilers. This is one of those books that ever little thing leads to a spoiler with me. I can be simple and say there was the war, there were deaths, there were good things, there were bad things. Meira did see her mother again, in a sense.

I was very happy with the overall ending, obviously not with the deaths, but with Meira, Mather and Theron and the kingdoms.

I will always love the Winter kingdom the best. Not because of who's in it, but for my love of Winter and having places with seasons in a book was pretty awesome to me. ♥

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List
Profile Image for ♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ.
230 reviews3,933 followers
August 7, 2018
4.5 Snow and Ice and Frost above! ★'s

“Whoever designed this city built it to complement the setting sun as perfectly as the stars complement the night.”

“The world is changing. We cannot deal with the problem as we have in the past, or we will always end up where we started.”

*Sigh* I seriously love this Trilogy and I can't believe its over... It brakes my heart! It's just so, so, damn good! Have you read it? No, Well then you must!! I love the world, the story-line, the characters, the relationship building, and the world building itself was done wonderfully. This book in particular is my favorite, it's so addictive and I couldn't put it down for much of anything :D "Frost Like Night" was an emotional read for me. There was so much shit that happened, plus you get so much information, you have to wrap your head around it and my mind is still all over the place. With each book this story just gets better and better, each one better than the last! It's all just so well written, you get sucked right in. There are some heart wrenching things that happen and people die, but that's what happens in war! Not everyone get's a HEA. Meira kicked ass as usual. I love that chick! Mather is everything!! I also love Ceridwen. It was so nice having her POV as well as Meira's and Mather's :D Lets not forget about Rares and his wife, Oana. They were so perfect and I just loved every minute with them. I am going to miss these books dearly, but I can always reread them again someday! Am I riight? The conclusion was honestly perfect! Such a great way to end a beloved Trilogy.

*I recommend this TRILOGY to everyone!*

I love this quote so much...

“You act as though love is a goal you only can achieve after so long spent working at it. And yes, work is involved, but at the end of it all, love is a choice – the kind you have with a spouse, with your people, with yourself. If you acted on those things only when you felt them, you’d be like most people – eternally waiting for a feeling that may or may not come. But if you choose, every day to love yourself no matter what – then, dear heart, nothing can stop you.”

“No apologies. No matter what happens, I will never, not in a thousand tragic outcomes, ever regret loving you.”

“Mather wrapped his fingers around her wrist and pulled her forward, cupping the back of her head as he slid his face down to hers. He hovered just shy of her lips, panting, choking because, ice above, this moment - this was everything, the entirety of his life expanding from this one act, revolving around her because she was at the center of everything good that had ever happened to him.”

“Lifetimes have changed in what feels like a heartbeat.”

“I take the chakram, my eyes on Mather. "I'm not me without it, am I?”
A smile flips across his face before he shakes his head. "You're perfect the way you are.”

“I am mistakes and victories and death and life. I am competent and powerful and strong, and whatever this war brings my way --even death-- I will face it like the queen I am.”

“Actions are always far easier than words.”

“You are not what you've done. Who you are right now, this moment, is who you choose to be.”

“Feeling like you're enough has nothing to do with actually being enough --you choose whether or not you are.”
758 reviews2,357 followers
June 26, 2017
dnf @ pg 305

listen,
mather and meira had sex
i read the last 20 pages and they are together and everyone is okay and my heart needed that

goodbye
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Sophie.
1,104 reviews436 followers
August 20, 2016
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

This series became one of my favourites when I first read Snow Like Ashes last year. I simply adored the characters and world that Raasch had created, and jumped at the opportunity to review an early copy. I'd just recently read Ice Like Fire, but still found it wasn't necessary to understand what was happening.

Picking up after the major cliffhanger at the end of Ice Like Fire, Frost Like Night follows the PoVs of Meira, Mather, and Ceridwen, as they come to terms with what has just happened. Angra is alive, and has infected many of the monarchs of Primoria with the Decay. Only a few remain to fight the spread of the the Decay, and now that Meira is aware of the Order of the Lustrate, and how to open, and destroy the magic chasm, she understands the sacrifice that is needed, or else Primoria will fall.

I have loved how in each instalment, we've had another PoV, and was overjoyed that we got to hear from Ceridwen, my newest favoruite in book 2. Each of the three main characters has their reasons for fighting Angra, and all know that they are risking everything they hold dear, and even themselves, at times. Now that they all have one mission - save their loved ones, and destroy the magic chasm before Angra can use it to destroy the world, their lives are irrevocably intertwined.

Meira has come leaps and bounds since we first met her. She has now settled into her role as Queen of Winter, and is a key player in the fight against the decay, and against Angra. She, and she alone, can destroy the magic chasm, and she takes this responsibility maturely. She throws herself into her magical training, and cares for all Winterian refugees she comes across. Mather, like Meira, has also grown. He and his Thaw take it upon themselves to be Meira's royal guard, and without them, many of the Winterian refugees wouldn't have survived.

Now that they all know about Theron's betrayal, the feelings Meira and Mather have for one another become more and more apparent. I'd always liked Mather, though at times in Ice Like Fire he was annoying with how his jealousy manifested. I had hoped that he and Meira would end up together, and I've got to say this book was filled with the feels. Both their PoVs showed their feelings, but there was always Theron lying in the background.

Everything I could have wanted to happen in this book, did, and so much more. I could hardly put the book down, and even though I was sad when I finished that it was the end to the series, it was the perfect ending, and I couldn't have asked for more. If you haven't tried this series yet, what are you waiting for? I can't recommend this enough, and look forward to reading Raasch's future novels.
Profile Image for Patricia Bejarano.
434 reviews5,340 followers
January 25, 2018
No me puedo creer que haya terminado esta increíble trilogía y todo lo que me ha hecho sentir. Desde ACOWAR no disfrutaba tanto de la lectura de un libro y eso es mucho decir.
Si me tengo que quedar con uno de los tres libros, me quedo con este. Tiene todo lo que busco en este tipo de novelas. Tiene mogollón de intriga, las escenas de guerra y peleas son fascinantes, me encanta como las describe la autora. Tiene una magia preciosa, los personajes los he adorado, mi Meira, mi Mather, Ceri, Theron, Sir... todos son INCREÍBLES. Y tiene la justa cantidad de romance que necesito que tenga una historia de fantasía. Y que no se me olvide mencionar la acción que tiene, porque es que no había ni un solo capítulo donde no pasara nada o sintiera que fuera innecesario.
Otra cosa que me ha encantado es que si ya la autora nos había descubierto en el anterior libro la mayor parte de su mundo, en este nos lo descubre todo y podemos visitar lugares jamás vistos anteriormente.
Y el final... podría decir que casi muero ahogándome en mis propias lágrimas. Maldito final y bendito a la vez, porque me ha encantado.
Ha sido una delicia leer esta trilogía, os recomiendo de todo corazón que le deis una oportunidad, porque no es todo lo conocida (por lo menos aquí en España) que debería.
Profile Image for Neil (or bleed).
949 reviews730 followers
January 19, 2019
3.5

A decent ending.

That was probably the best fitting words to describe Frost Like Night. Compared to its predecessors, this final book of the Snow Like Ashes trilogy didn't give me the excitement I feel on the first two books; didn't give me the excitement I need. Not that this book is boring, it's not. It's just that it came pretty standard. It was also somehow, predictable.

Despite that, I pretty much enjoyed reading Frost Like Night. Again, the book is not tedious to read. Less exciting, yes, but it still gives enough intensity and thrill; and worry to me. It had me fueled enough to turn the pages and read.

The world building is great just like before. It was nice to know and explore the other kingdoms in this book. Plotwise, even it is somehow predictable, the twist in the end surprised me. I'm like, "Oh shit! That's right!". The pacing was all good and the alternate POVs really helped.

I think the strong suit of Frost Like Night is its characters. I liked them, especially Meira and Ceridwen. I liked how Raasch treated them. Their flaws. Their resolves. And how Raasch wrote and describe them. I can relate to them, even not in a literal way. I can feel their emotions surging through me that sometimes, I can't avoid to clutch my fragile heart (lol) These characters, for sure, I will miss them.

In Snow Like Ashes trilogy, we don't say, "Oh my god!", instead we say "Snow and ice above!", and I think that's beautiful.
October 12, 2016
I’m going to be really honest: I went back and reread my review of Snow Like Ashes just to see what it was that I liked about it in the first place.

Snow Like Ashes was a consistent story that was so enjoyable that even when the predictable plot twist happened I was still impressed. Ice Like Fire ended up proving that this series is treading on thin ice (haha, see?) and that maybe it won’t end the way I want it to (also, it was boring as heck). But then I told myself that Meira was worth it and I picked up Frost Like Night.

The reason why this book didn’t get a 1-star rating was because Meira was a pretty consistent character throughout the series. And just some character qualities that were apart of her stayed dear to me (well… somewhat).

I wish I cared about Mather, Rares, Ceridwen and the whole lot but I just didn’t. I was so angry at the author for ruining one of my favorite characters (not realistic development in my opinion, just a way to shove out a love interest and make the guy Meira ends up with look like a hero)!

The ending just made all the prolonged struggle and fight that happened in Ice Like Fire and more than half of this book seem hopeless.

Extremely disappointed. There was so much potential in the first book that it makes me want to cry when I see what it has become.
Profile Image for Beatrice in Bookland.
438 reviews846 followers
December 10, 2017
"Scorch this world, Winter Queen."

While reading the last page I realised that I actually cared for this cast of characters and it's so sad to say goodbye!

Meira was fantastic, she's strong and smart and she learns to accept herself and that she matters, that she's perfect just the way she is and I think that this is the most important message of the entire trilogy.

I loved the romance, luckily I had chosen the endgame ship of this love triangle lol. I love the two of them together, how they didn't keep secrets from each other and how they were always supportive of one another.

And I also really liked the fact that in the span of three books we got to see all of the eight realms of Primoria! Plus, each realm was perfectly built, each of them had traditions and traits and every king or queen was a fleshed out character with goals and flaws.

All in all, if you're looking for a fast paced fantasy with a protagonist that actually learns from her mistakes, a sweet romance and never ending action, Snow like ashes is for you!
Profile Image for Dannii Elle.
1,966 reviews1,378 followers
June 9, 2019
This is the third and final instalment in the Snow Like Ashes series and whilst I can say I enjoyed the progression of the story-line, some of my initial adoration has waned as the series has progressed.

Meira was one of the few free Winterians left when her kingdom was invaded and her people enslaved or massacred. She spent her childhood at the edges of the world, honing her fighting skill and plotting how to return Winter to its former glory. Now, she is a woman grown and a queen in name. But her people are still not free. An enemy has returned, but now she knows exactly what he wants. It is not the land he seeks to reign and it is not the people he has tortured and enslaved. It is the contents of Meira's mind he now seeks to destruct and, with it gone, there will be nothing to stop him from becoming the demonic ruler every kingdom must kneel before.

I love the concept of this world, divided into Season and Rhythm sectors. The magic system of each was unique and so too the geography and culture of the people who reside there. This provided a further study and understanding of this intriguing world and I appreciated how each book in the series has opened up more for the reader to discover.

I also appreciated how Meira has grown. Her character has altered with her age and the burgeoning responsibilities heaped upon her. She has gone from the impulsive and tempestuous teen in book one to learning to reign in her feisty nature and become the queen her people need her to be.

Whilst there were so many elements of this I loved reading about I found the pacing of the story-line, overall, to be a little stodgy. Much of this book involved the thoughts revolving around Meira's mind and large segments provided nothing new for the reader to explore or puzzle over. I also did not care for the romantic elements that featured quite heavily in this series. This was still a satisfactory conclusion, however, and I look forward to reading more from the author, in the future.
Profile Image for Patry Fernandez.
461 reviews230 followers
January 30, 2018
Reseña completa -> http://thewordsofbooks.blogspot.com.e...

Esta trilogía ha sido un grandísimo descubrimiento. Ha empezado bien, pero es que ha ido mejorando tanto que este último libro no podía haber sido mejor. Aventuras, luchas, guerras, amistad, amor, sacrificios y todo esto con unos personajes que no puedo más que adorar y de los que estoy totalmente encantada con la gran evolución que han dado a lo largo de toda la historia. Meira, Mather, Sir, Theron... todos se han ganado un pedazo de mi corazón y los voy echar TANTO de menos. Y como no, se queda como una de mis trilogías favoritas. Increíble, fantástica, épica. ¡Tenéis que leerla! 5🌟
PD: #TeamMather ❤❤❤
Amo con todo mi corazón a Mather. Como un personaje puede dar tal evolución desde el primer libro y maravillarte capítulo tras capítulo.
Profile Image for Rebekah.
727 reviews955 followers
July 3, 2017
In this finale for this amazing trilogy I are left happy and satisfied. This book is filled with all the magic, adventure and romance I was hoping for.

With each book Raasch added another POV so we have 3 we are rotating, and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be. I actually really enjoyed all three POVs! I loved reading from all three POVs in this- Meira, Mather, and Ceridwin. It was really nice to see from both sides of the Meira/Mather romance, and to get into Ceridwin’s head regarding what happened to her brother in the previous book and her complicated romance with Jesse.

Moving on with the story….In order to do what Meira is planning on and feels like she needs to do, she will have to make a huge sacrifice. To destroy Angra, Meira will have to break through the labyrinth. That will take power, and its the power she is learning hard to control. But will it be enough? And at what cost is she willing to making in order to save her kingdom and those around her? It’s like the fate of the world now rests on her shoulders!

While Meira is working on that, Mather is doing what he can to save and protect his queen. So he will rally the Children on Thaw, have a game plan. And hope it all goes as planned. Which of course things will surprise you when you least expect it. Which is good cause otherwise it would be boring!

It was a book LOADED with action and I’m not going to lie-I get all the needed action and movement but I kinda wanted to move on with the story and hurry up because I wanted to know how it ended. BUT, be patient padawan it all makes sense as to all the needed action.

The romance… CALLED IT! I was very happy with how the author took it. I am happy with it. I am truly impressed with how uncertain which team I wanted to root for. And that takes a lot!

Overall I was happy with how everything turned out and look forward to more from this author!

Sexual Content: mild
Language: mild
Violence: moderate
Drugs/Alcohol: mild
Profile Image for Andreea Pop.
320 reviews2,104 followers
Want to read
April 8, 2016
WOW, COVER. Gorgeous as always. If only the content will be the same... *fingers crossed*

I had no idea this one had a title. I like the Frost part but but but Night?? Seriously?

Oh, and by the way, I guessed the Frost since the 1st book when Meira said "Snow and ice and frost above" :D
Profile Image for Ashley Marie .
1,196 reviews374 followers
Shelved as 'did-not-finish'
December 17, 2018
DNF @ 10%
WHYYYYY do I literally have no interest in this? Oh yeah. Because my ship is already sunk. -kicks- + melodrama + stilted audio + ....I dunno what else. Sorry Meira, I'm just not interested in this story anymore.

2/20
LOOK HOW PRETTY
srsly if nothing else, this series has a kickass designer *heart eyes*
Profile Image for Sharon.
505 reviews254 followers
March 29, 2017
Finishing this book is leaving me mainly confused. A lot of shit happened in these rougly 500 pages. I don’t even know how to feel about it.

Pros
– Meira taking charge, being more confident, and learning to accept herself: She is not perfect. There are some mistakes where I cringe and facepalm. However, she seriously does show growth throughout this series, and throughout this book. I love that moment when she takes lessons from Rares and Oana, and she finds some kind of inner peace among all of this chaos and war.
– Emotions, very raw emotions: I cried. Raasch does well writing all of these conflicting emotions about love, war, and life. I don’t agree with a lot of the characters’ decisions on these topics, but it is so easy to understand why the characters feel as they feel and do as they do.
– Mather: After all of these books, he finally got his shit together. Hooray! He has been supportive and nice in this book, and I like the romance better than I did for the previous books.
– Rares and Oana: They are so sweet and understanding. Their scenes with Meira are such a delight.
– Teamwork: I love the teamwork going on. Everyone is fighting, everyone is hurting, and everyone has something to lose. And they all help each other out in this time of hopelessness.
– Lekan and Kaleo: I love Lekan for being an incredibly good friend to Ceridwen. And I love Lekan and Kaleo together because they’re adorable.

Cons
– Side Romance: I like Ceridwen. Her character is wonderfully complex, and I honestly cried on her scenes because I sympathize with her. Also, I love her friendship with Meira. HOWEVER, I am not feeling the side romance with her and Jesse. #nothanks
(Go to “Anything that irked you?” at the bottom of the review for spoilers)
– Ending: Not a terrible ending…but also I’m not particularly impressed.
– Villains: They could be more complex. We vaguely see their motives, but not enough for me to really understand them.

Overall Thoughts
2.5 stars because I like it fairly, but this series is not particularly striking. Some scenes and characters’ emotions were written incredibly well, and I appreciate the protagonist’s growth throughout the whole series– but I’m left feeling somewhat whatever about everything. It's not going to be a memorable read for me.

Things that you might want to know (WARNING: Spoilers below)
Is there a happy/satisfying ending?
Love triangle? Cheating? Angst level?
Tears-worthy?
Humor?
Anything that irked you?
What age level would be appropriate?
Profile Image for Elizabeth Dragina.
580 reviews14 followers
May 11, 2020
4.5 stars ~

This book hurts. I feel it so fiercely I fear it's killing me.

When I started this book I hated everything and mostly everyone. It had been almost a year since I read the second book so I remembered hardly anything except that Mather and The Thaw were the only redeemable qualities. Needless to say I got halfway through this book before I fell head over heels in love with it.

It hurts so much.

The tragedy. 💔

PROS ~

· MATHER 😍
· ALL the characters really.
· The world building is absolutely amazing. 💖 I'd compare it to Rae Carson (and that's a compliment).
· The unique plot? IDK... I still don't completely understand what I think about her way of storytelling. 😂 But the ending was good.
· The pacing and setting were great.
· THE DETAILS 😍😍😍
· The deep thoughts and theme of this trilogy.
· The fact that they were umm abolishing MAGIC. *round of applause*
· THAT. COVER. UMMM HELLO.
· Every stinkin' character that stole my heart.
· THE ENDING WAS SO SATISFYING. 💖
· The forgiveness.

CONS ~

· The cuss words and nonsense.
· The level of profanity that really upgraded since book 1. 😣
· All the kissing? Idk. I'm a hopeless romantic ... but she really shouldn't be kissing so much IMO. A kiss must be deserved.
· THERON? Kinda?
· Obviously Angra .... okay he was a good antagonist .... but also JUST DIE IN A HOLE SOMEWHERE.
· The gay couple. . . . . #idon'tsupport
· The content section below
· All the deaths. I can understand killing off some characters .... but the amount that died??! Um. No. It felt like Sara Raasch just kept throwing more into the "no longer existent" pit just because she wanted to.
· AND I READ TO ESCAPE REALITY. NOT TO JUMP BACK INTO IT. (k I like tragedy .... sometimes. but not so much of it. 😕)
· Out of curiosity . . . . why was there so much detail in all the make-out scenes??? o.o

CONTENT ~

· Profanity increased since book one. Words like H*ll, b*tch, and dam*t.
· Sexual nonsense. Very VERY suggestive scenes.
· Okay. Basically Sara Raasch has two or three make-out scenes where you KNOW what's happening but she refrains from using words like sex. *headdesks* I don't understand. 😑
· Characters discuss mature topics. CHARACTERS AREN'T EVEN ADULTS. They're minors.... *not impressed*
· Feminism is very heavy.
· Gay couple has a detailed "kissy" scene.
· Fantasy Violence.
· Extremely violent. Bloodshed. Chopping off heads. Etc.
· Sexual monsters. Tragedy.
· Suggested rape and then death. AWFUL TORTURE SCENES. 😣

OVERALL ~

· Mature topics are handled within.
· I still enjoyed it? For Mather and the world.
· I'd only recommend reading the first book.
· #wishpeoplewouldjustwritecleanfiction
Profile Image for Jaime (Two Chicks on Books).
825 reviews401 followers
May 26, 2016
5 shimmering frost covered stars for this! I am so sad to see this trilogy end! I will miss Meira, Mather, Theron, Cerie, and everyone else! But this was a beautiful finale that was perfect for the series! I cried many times as Sara can attest to because I tweeted her each time lol but I loved every page! And although I was mad about the Theron thing in book 2 I totally get the whole team Mather thing now! I am team Mather!
Profile Image for Haley.
708 reviews6 followers
November 18, 2016
Frost Like Night is the final book in the Snow Like Ashes trilogy. If you have not read Snow Like Ashes, I recommend it to those who enjoyed Frozen, Game of Thrones and books like: Incarnate and The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, Crewel by Gennifer Albin, The Jewel by Amy Ewing, Defiance by C.J. Redwine, The Young Elites by Marie Lu and the Red Queen by Victoria Avyard.

Meira is the queen and conduit of the Winter kingdom. She’s trying to find away to stop Angra, the evil ruler of Spring who use the magic of the Decay. Meira is brought to Paisley, the kingdom hidden in the mountains of the north. Rares and his wife offer to train Meira in using her magic. Meira soon discovers that the only way to defeat Angra might not end in a happy ending for. She might have to sacrifice everything to save her kingdom and the rest of Primoria from Angra and this war. With Mather by her side, she feels she can do anything.

Mather would do anything to save Meira from the fate she plans to accept. He really does want to spend his life with her and can’t imagine living without her. Ceridwen is now the monarch of Summer, but cannot use her kingdom conduit because it is male-blooded. She’s trying to save her own people and create new allies. She also wants a relationship with Jesse, but he must first break his relationship with Raelyn, his current wife who’s now under Angra’s influence.

This epic finale is filled with magic and adventure and even all the romance we were hoping for. I will say that I did not enjoy this book as much as the previous book. I’m not a fan of 3rd person POV and I would have preferred only to have Meira 1st person POV or have 1st person perspective of Mather and Ceridwen. Also I was so busy with school, that it takes a long time to finish a book. I did enjoy this series overall and hope to find more unique fantasy series like this one. I’m very happen to see how this series has come so far and to a satisfying ending. I can’t wait to see what other stories Sara Raasch cooks up.

Cover Art Review: I love these cover so much! They are consistent and beautiful. The chakram with the seasons in it is so cool.

~Haley G

My blog:

-----

12/20/2014

Prequel: Icicles Like Kindling
1: Snow Like Ashes
2: Ice Like Fire (I WAS RIGHT)

Book 3 title guess: Frost Like Flames

Maybe the author read these....NAME YOUR 3RD BOOK FROST LIKE FLAMES

Frost Like Night?.......Okay, so I 2/3 of the name right. Night....must be because the whole Dark Magic thing.
Profile Image for Taylor of Alethkar ❦.
269 reviews79 followers
June 24, 2018
Now that I've had time to think about this more, I’m saying 1.5 stars, because I don't think it was quite so bad to deserve 1. It was a close thing though.
I was so close to DNFing this book practically the entire time I was reading. I can't give this any higher of a rating. Not after the experience I had reading it. Not when I was just so incredibly irritated the entire time. This conclusion was so far from enjoyable, it made me question the way I rated and reviewed the previous books.
I just can’t believe how boring and predictable this entire book was. I can’t believe that it was only 483 pages when it felt like it was double that. This isn’t a real review, honestly I’m far too disappointed to put enough effort into writing one. So I’m just going to make a list of everything I didn’t appreciate about this book that made it impossible for me to like it. Spoilers obviously.
-Meira reminding the reader fifty thousand times that she had no choice but to die only to get out of it at the very last second by something as simple as another Kingdom’s conduit falling into the chasm instead
-Theron
-Sir died … why exactly?
-Nessa died for shock value because there was nothing else for her character to do
-Nessa’s death didn’t even make sense
-Theron
-How many times can the words ‘magic’ and ‘Decay’ be put into a book before they constitute an entire chapter by themselves
-Phil ???????????
-Angra is probably the most simple minded villain I’ve ever had the displeasure of reading about
-Angra gave the Keys, arguably the most vital components in the entire war, to Theron in order to … mess with Meira?
-Unnecessary battles
-Did I mention,,,,,,, Theron
-What the fuck was that epilogue
I should just stop now. Again this is probably the laziest excuse for a ‘review’ that I’ve ever written, but I just can’t be bothered anymore. All I can really say is at least it’s over.
Profile Image for Patricia Crowther.
471 reviews44 followers
October 17, 2016
I'm not sure when but somewhere along the line I just stopped caring about pretty much all of the characters. The one character I did like really didn't feature all that much and that was disappointing. But even by the end I was 'meh' about them too.

I actually found some of it a struggle to get through, particularly the first 100 pages. That said though, I can appreciate it was well written and a reasonable conclusion to the trilogy. Even if it was somewhat predictable.

Profile Image for Giselle.
1,048 reviews909 followers
October 31, 2016
Now that's an ending that everyone needed! What a great fantasy series. I love the incorporation of the seasons and how magic played such a part in everyone's lives..for the good and the bad. *claps*
Profile Image for Reem Ghabbany.
387 reviews312 followers
October 15, 2017
This was okay. I enjoyed some parts but mostly I didn’t care about the characters so I wasn’t that attached to the story. none of the characters were special.
I was reading a lot of passages absentmindedly just to finish the book.
the problem with YA fantasy nowadays is that they’re too similar and the character buildup is repetitive.
I feel like I need a good break from YA Fantasy but most of the books I have are YA fantasy XD. I’ll try to read something else for the rest of October.
Profile Image for Donna.
3,827 reviews9 followers
February 27, 2017
This is the third and final book of the 'Snow like Ashes' trilogy, which is YA fantasy. I really liked the first one. The second book I didn't like at all and this one falls kind of in that category. However, I added a star just because the final wrap up made sense and it had a certain satisfaction to it. I will also say that the last half is where things really started to move and all the pieces were falling into place.

I think part of my disconnect with the first half was that I had forgotten where the second book left off. So just trying to reacquaint myself with the characters felt a little tedious. So all in all, 3 stars.
Profile Image for Tina ➹ Woman, Life, Freedom.
377 reviews399 followers
November 19, 2020
3 Silver Stars

thank God, I finally finished this series.

book 1 was brilliant, the novel idea of the world building: ★★★★/5; I recommend only that one to read (others are just boring)
book 2 was dull. (last 100 pages were good): ★★/5
book 3 was a bit plain in first 20% & a while in the middle, also romance was slightly too much. but ending was exciting: ★★★/5
the whole story could be gathered in 1 book, maybe 2. (sometimes just too much dragged because of the Heroine's struggling & doubts. I'm done!)
Characters: ★★★/5
I didn't really care about the characters. only a bit about Mather & Theron.
Writing style: ★★(★)/5
some of the characters' replies in conversations were irrelevant.
I generally didn't like the writing style.
World building: ★★★/5
but magic rules & utilization were a bit irrational. we all know (by books of course) magic needs concentration, & a magic shield needs a high concentration not to be broken; how much bigger, needs much more concentration. & she just put a magical shield/barrier around a whole city & then walk off to deal with her other problems. I found that pretty much irrational. a magical barrier this big needs quite much hard work to conjure & sweating to hold it. & she. just. walk. off....
Plot: ★★★/5
general Idea: ★★★★/5
Profile Image for Alexa.
605 reviews198 followers
February 6, 2017
3.5*

I don't know how Raasch manages to do it, but even though this book was very predictable and extremely cheesy (qualities I usually hate in a book), I still loved the shit out of this.

I commend Raasch for a trilogy well tied and a premise well executed. If your looking for some light fantasy, this trilogy is a good place to start.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,630 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.