Start by marking “Pricing Design” as Want to Read:
Pricing Design

Pricing Design

Pricing projects can feel tricky, but it doesn’t have to be. Dan Mall explains how to earn more, by understanding what goes into a price (and why hourly rates don’t work) and what your clients really want—and are willing to pay for. Learn the right questions to ask and when, and ways to turn client requirements into numbers, with a real-world example from Dan’s agency. Whe ...more
Published January 7th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Pricing Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pricing Design

Tim Kadlec
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No one in web design has done more work to help others run successful business than Dan Mall. His written post after post and even published a podcast all about how to successfully run your own web studio. Pricing feels like a taboo topic to many which makes good information hard to come by. That’s not the case with Dan. In this short book, he dives deep into how he prices projects—providing all the nitty gritty details along the way. I’ll be buying plenty more copies of this one so I can hand i ...more
Nathan
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Invaluable reference. I copied and pasted a section from my Kindle app, printed it, and keep it on my desk as a reference point for every discussion with a potential client. For those of us who practice value pricing, this is essential. For those who do not, it's an excellent argument for it.
Mohammad Jaber
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
.. And that was a great book!
Erik Rostad
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Quick read about value pricing with some immediately implementable advice. Very helpful book with great lists of additional resources for further study.
Allison
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
"It's crucial to work with people who respect you and your work. If they don't know you from a hole in the wall, make like a leaf and stop wasting your time."
Katie
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful and encouraging - I want to give value based pricing a more serious try. Fun and accessible writing too.

I wish the book had gone a little more into recognizing and communicating value. I often work with nonprofits, and usually our work won't directly translate into increased revenue from them. The value is in improved mission alignment and reducing staff/volunteer time spent on things that can be streamlined or automated. It can be tricky to monetize that.
John
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great quick read, very quick. Swift and to the point, Dan offers some valuable insight on the subject of pricing design. His writing even managed to reframe my perspective on the industry which feels refreshing. Will certainly be revisiting this one and look forward to exploring some of the reference materials he included.
Pat
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will definitely be re-reading this book next week. Short and sweet, this book has caused me to really think deeply about the value I bring to design and development projects and how to ensure that I am able to continue to deliver that value to my clients.
Patrick Haney
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
At only 50 pages, this "Brief" from A Book Apart is easily read in under an hour. And anyone who freelances, or runs their own design business, should find an hour right now and read it. Dan lays out a great strategy to figure out what you're worth and how to sell value to your clients. This book definitely changed my perspective on a few things regarding my own design pricing!
David Holl
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! This book packs so much into 50 pages. Dan briefly covers standard pricing concepts before focusing on value pricing in a way that makes it clear and immediately useful. I wish I'd had this book ten years ago.
Matthew
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-next
Quick read but enlightening to see another pricing model. We've been using a variant of this for a bit, but its nice to learn the origins and modify our pricing. At 60 pages this is a quick afternoon read.
Sam Spencer
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux
Clear, concise, practical - just what you need right when you need it.
Bilal
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
this is a must read for anyone in the service industry.
Phil Bowell
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and thought provoking approach to apply to business. Real food for thought.
Justin Ruckman
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Some good pointers and perspective. But this approach, championed by many, assumes a very specific kind of work. Not every job can be translated in every situation to how much money the party receiving your help can make (or save) directly. At least not without wild speculation. In the end it’s just *another* pricing model, not *the*.
skullface
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know how valuable this super-short ebook could be without an accompanying table of various rates others charge across differing experience, disciplines, and locations — but that's exactly the author's point. Determining your rate based on those factors is one way to set your price, but it's not the best way for you or for your clients. This book is the best explainer on value-based pricing I've come across, and I've listened to a few episodes of the author's business of design podcast. ...more
Sasha Endoh
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you're new to value pricing, positioning yourself, and forging relationships with clients - this is a great primer!

If you've been at it for a while, heck, sometime you just need to hear it a few different ways before it sticks!

Solid, well written advice.
Jack Baty
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and practical.
Brian Duchek
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This excellent short form book (think long blog post) challenged the way I've thought about design studio pricing, and provided a just enough to get me interested in some other titles on the subject.
Raul Loureiro
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Too short for a book even for a brief. Is like a blog post.
Garren
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really nice concise guide to pricing your services.
Timo Bontenbal