Start by marking “Vigil (Verity Fassbinder #1)” as Want to Read:
Vigil (Verity Fassbinder #1)

Vigil

(Verity Fassbinder #1)

Verity Fassbinder has her feet in two worlds. The daughter of one human and one Weyrd parent, she has very little power herself, but does claim unusual strength - and the ability to walk between us and the other - as a couple of her talents. As such a rarity, she is charged with keeping the peace between both races, and ensuring the Weyrd remain hidden from us.

But now Sire
Published July 7th 2016 by Jo Fletcher Books

To ask other readers questions about Vigil, please sign up.
dany 1. Urban fantasy books are stories with fantastical elements in our world (e.g. witches).
2. and 3. Why don't you read the book and find out or be on y…more
2. and 3. Why don't you read the book and find out or be on your way?(less)

Start your review of Vigil (Verity Fassbinder #1)
Paromjit
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a dark fantasy crime thriller set in Brisbane and I adored it. Angela Slatter has constructed a detailed world populated by the Weyrds and the Normals who are precariously managing to co-exist thanks to diligent policing by the likes of Bela, Verity and DI Rhoda McIntyre, a normal. We have a kick ass, half blood, PI Verity Fassbinder, whose only weyrd gift is her phenomenal strength, and is blessed with a grumpy and snarky attitude. She has a fraught and complicated relationship with her ...more
Matthew
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know what you're thinking.

I know, because I had the same thoughts prior to reading this book.

You're thinking about the fact that this is another urban fantasy title in a market already flooded with urban fantasy. You're also thinking about whether or not this book will offer anything different to the thousands of other titles released over the past few years. Something that will make it worth checking out.

So let me make this clear from the outset.

Vigil is a stunning and refreshing book, and it
Althea Ann
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I have read a great deal of Angela Slatter's short fiction, and enjoyed it greatly. And by "greatly" I mean, 5-stars, up-to-the-top-of-my-favorite-authors-list, "greatly." When I heard she had a full-length novel coming out, I was shivering with antici... pation. Got the book through ILL since it isn't available in the US.

Soooo... I was disappointed. I really didn't want to be, but I was. "Vigil" is a perfectly competent, supremely marketable, and firmly in-genre entry into the paranormal invest
Emma
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This wasn't love at first sight for me. The book felt like kind of a cross between the tv show Grim and Days of Blood & Starlight, with similar characters and mythology. The main character, Verity, was a contradiction. Daughter of a an evil child killer, with super strength-the possibilities are there... but the fear she was supposed to inspire in others fell a bit flat. The idea was that once she's involved in a situation, she barrels round breaking things until she gets answers. At one point s ...more
Cathy
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was pretty good! I was expecting another UF along the usual lines. Tired tropes, a little paranormal romance thrown in... but the setting in Brisbane is refreshing, the Weyrd are mysterious and there is good world building. It is not corny, there is no silly paranormal romance, Verity is kick-ass and snarky. The sleuthing could be a bit more intense—I like my crime to be a bit more procedural. But bottomline pretty darn good.

This actually seems to be UF for grown-ups, what a nice discovery.
Liz Barnsley

I do love a good Urban Fantasy me and this one, set in Brisbane, is totally rocking. Excellent setting, brilliant world building and a main character I adored.

Verity Fassbinder is sharp, witty and different – half human half Weyrd she hovers between two worlds sorting out problems, keeping people (and everything else) in line. Well, kind of. She lives in the shadow of her good old Dad, doesnt suffer fools gladly and is impulsive enough to often get into trouble. Loved her.

The layers built into t
Justine
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-read

This is an excellently written UF story set in Brisbane. I was fortunate to buddy read it with Brisbane resident Lindsay, among others, who kindly posted images of relevant locations as we went along. Brisbane is a city I'm totally unfamiliar with, so it was nice to get this visual accompaniment.

The story is pretty fast paced and there is a lot going on. Verity is the fiesty heroine, a half blood who doesn't quite fit in the world of the Normals or the Weyrd, or supernatural. Slatter ha
RG
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5*. Good 1st novel into a new urban fantasy set in Australia. Read really easily, but had some YA moments to it. The main character had some questionable decision making but overall still an enjoyable read. Definitely a series to watch.
Lindsay
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
An urban fantasy novel set in my hometown of Brisbane and written by one of my favourite writers who's also a local.

Verity Fassbinder is a half-blood in a city with a large Weyrd population. She's also what passes for the law in the Weyrd community, working indirectly for the local Council of Five and responsible for keeping the Weyrd out of the public eye of the Normal population. All of which gets very difficult with a spate of missing children and the body of a dead winged woman found outside
Mieneke
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
Welcome to Brisneyland! The story Angela Slatter presents us with in her debut solo-novel Vigil is a departure from her previous work, which I have heard people raving about for the past few years really. As such it was the perfect place for me to start my first Angela Slatter story, since it is the beginning of a series and the start of this new urban fantasy direction for the author. And I loved it. Vigil is a fantastic read, with a heroine who captured my heart.

I loved Verity Fassbinder to bi
Blodeuedd Finland
This could be UF, but I do not want to group it with that, because it is just so much more and different. The author herself says she writes dark fantasy, so dark urban fantasy mystery then. If you read UF you know how those go, kick-ass, fast etc etc. But this was fiction traced with the weyrd. Read it find out.

First we do have to start with Fassbinder, I had to google it, it means Cooper. What? I had to, mostly to see if it had something do do with her dad's occupation. Ahem. No, but he was a
Lata
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totally enjoyed this urban fantasy about half-Weyrd Verity Fassbinder, who investigates incidents of Weyrd misbehaviour and misconduct and makes sure humans never hear about the Weyrd sharing their city.
The plot moves along well, and I liked Verity as she works on three different cases involving murder of a Siren, disappearing children, and the sudden disappearance of another half-Weyrd. Verity only Weyrd ability is her super strength, and her human curiosity, tenacity and strong moral code.
T
Alexandra
A number of years ago, Angela Slatter wrote "Brisneyland by Night" for Twelfth Planet Press' anthology Sprawl. It was excellent. Vigil is that story grown-up and turned into a novel, with at least two (I believe) more stories about Verity Fassbinder scheduled.

This novel was sent to me by the publisher, as an uncorrected bound proof. Also, I had the enormous privilege of reading it in draft form, which I just can't tell you how awesome that was. I have re-read it now partly because I have a bad m
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
I love a dark gritty fantasy and Vigil delivered this with a witty, cynical heroine, Verity Fassbinder at its helm. With a displaced childhood where her father betrayed her and his community, she's extremely protective of kids going missing, which is where the plot of the book is centred.

As a PI with the superpower of strength, thanks to her dad's Weyrd heritage, she reminds me a lot of Jessica Jones without the PTSD. As she navigates the supernatural underworld of Brisbane, she encounters a ra
Bec (becklebooks)
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
I didn't realise how much I would enjoy this book, otherwise I would've picked up this proof a lot sooner! It was a tantalising mixture of crime combined with the supernatural and I loved it! Verity is sarcastic and driven, and often I'd find myself laughing aloud at her observations or comments.
Plus, the supporting characters Bela, David, Ziggi, Mel and Lizzie (and a whole host of others) were incredible; all had their own quirks and personalities, I could visualise them alongside Ve
Theresa Smith
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aww2018
I used be a huge reader of urban fantasy and paranormal fiction, but I’m a tad fussy on what I do and don’t like when it comes to the genre, so it’s dropped back a bit for me in recent years. I don’t like it if it’s YA focussed, and let’s face it, more of this type of fiction is geared to the YA market, more’s the pity. When it comes to urban fantasy for adults, it often seems to cross over into the romance/erotic zone, and I’m not into that either. But this! The Verity Fassbinder series! I have ...more
Anna
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a genre that I usually read, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story is well-crafted and tightly written, with a good dose of humour. Exposition of the other-worldly aspects is integrated well into the story. The central character of Verity is believable and likeable, and other characters are also well-drawn. I'll certainly be seeking out the next book in this series.
Mara
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mara by: Linda
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3 1/2

First, let me thank Linda who recommended this book to me. I owe it to her for a new and exciting UF. Please read her review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I agree to the word to what she says. A good story, a better heroine, uneven pacing. To me there were some plot points that weren't that clear, mostly the reason why she keeps working for them (a degree in art isn't a good excuse....), and what exactly went wrong in the past. Plus some side characters were a bit too shallow, na
Linda
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it

It's hard to stand out in an overcrowded field of UF books, but Slatter's first book in the Verity Fassbinder series manages to do just that. It's set in Brisbane, a welcome departure from the usual US-based stories. Rather than the stock weres/vampires/witches world, this one features the Weyrd, basically mythical and fairytale creatures brought to life, with a few more familiar types thrown in.

Verity, the protagonist, is a mixed blood, half Normal and half Weyrd. The fact that her We
Alan Baxter
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A superb urban fantasy with wonderful characters and a unique Australian voice. The setting of Brisbane is great and a really refreshing change. The first of a potential trilogy, I'm really looking forward to more.
Christine Bongers
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spec-fiction
Cracker of a read with kick-ass half-breed heroine Verity Fassbinder protecting the humans of Brisbane from the unseen Weyrd that dwell amongst us. Not sure if it's destined for cult or classic status, but it's smart, sassy and wickedly funny and I can't wait for the next in the triology.
Mike
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had the potential to end up as just another cookie-cutter urban fantasy, with a kickass heroine of mixed human and magical descent in the noir PI role, getting beaten up by monsters and eventually making the city safe for the innocent again. Fortunately, the author is skilled enough to lift this classic formula to a new level, not just executing it flawlessly but adding a layer of depth that the thousands of UF clones out there seldom achieve.

Primarily, I think, she achieves this by m
Ian Mond
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
These days urban fantasy does very little for me. I blame Jim Butcher and Laurell K. Hamilton. Back in the 90s I found the magic and violence blended together with an urban / noir setting, a fair dash of supernatural beastie on human romance and some latent (and not so latent) misogyny for the cheap seats new and exciting. Twenty years later and we've well and truly reached peak urban fantasy to the point that calling the elements that make up the sub genre cliched is, in itself, a cliche. In fa ...more
Ginger Nuts
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Many people read to escape from the reality of the modern world, a lot of them pick Urban Fantasy as their preferred genre of escape, the appeal and lure of a mythical and mystical world manifesting itself alongside our mundane world is one to understand easily. Wouldn't it be fabulous if a fantasy land lived just at the corner of our eye, or hiding behind the Wainscot borrowing the things we leave behind, or lurking at the end of the dark alleyway that you will only ever find if it wants you to ...more
Runalong
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Verity is a Brisbane investigator who focuses on magical crimes. But this was a very mature urban fantasy as we have a lead character a lot more in tune with her emotions and skills than a certain Mr Dresden. The world building from one book is packed with depth to explore and I loved how even minor characters and settings stood out. Also a huge number of different female characters used across the story. Looking forward to book 2 now!
Neil Snowdon
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rich and heady as honey mead, potent and earthy as great Scotch, the sublimely dark tales of Angela Slatter are an addictive delight. Take a sip and let the pleasant buzz enhance your world, or guzzle the lot and get drunk. The only hangover you might feel will be the disappointment of returning to the real world… and the hankering for more.

I first discovered Angela’s work in THE SPECTRAL BOOK OF HORROR STORIES, edited by the inimitable Mark Morris (whose novella ALBION FAY was one of the best t
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
This novel has reminded me of how much I enjoy good paranormal mystery. Now on to book 2 in this series.
Lily
*** I won a free copy of this book from the publisher via a giveaway ***

Vigil is an interesting book; part urban fantasy and part detective fiction, set on the dark streets of metropolitan Brisbane that is home to two worlds. The first – the normal, mundane, human society – lives blissfully unaware of the presence of a second secretive, hidden population of Weyrd creatures and those gifted with magic that make up a shadowy supernatural underbelly. The story follows Verity Fassbinder, born to on
Derpa
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I felt this was brilliant, but things only went downhill from there. So here is my verdict.

In Brisbane the supernatural underground is as crazy as everywhere else. Which, of course means there is need for someone to untangle all of it, to make things work out a bit better and to solve the crime the normal police is not going to be able to touch. Verity, half Normal and half Weyrd is the perfect candidate.
This time things so particularly crazy; someone is making wine from the tears of
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
I'll admit the only reason I managed to finish this book was because it's loosely based in my place of residence (Brisbane) and I was intrigued. It was interesting to see how the author views the place we both live so differently to me, clearly a city girl who spends a lot of time at Kangaroo Point (which does have a beautiful view).
Anywho even though I did at times struggle with finishing Vigil I can't say it was a bad book as I did enjoy it. I think the reason why it was so easy to put down is
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dorohedoro, Vol. 6
  • Man with No Name
  • Dorohedoro, Vol. 7
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • The Beauty and the Beast
  • Into the Night (Gemma Woodstock, #2)
  • Midnight Labyrinth (Elemental Legacy, #1)
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • The House of Aunts
  • Silver
  • Taproot
  • Ghostland: In Search of a Haunted Country
  • The Second Cure
  • Where the Dead Go
  • Dorohedoro, Tome 5
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
Angela Slatter is the author of the urban fantasy novels Vigil (2016) and Corpselight (2017), as well as eight short story collections, including The Girl with No Hands and Other Tales, Sourdough and Other Stories, The Bitterwood Bible and Other Recountings, and A Feast of Sorrows: Stories. She has won a World Fantasy Award, a British Fantasy Award, a Ditmar, and six Aurealis Awards.

Angela’s short

Verity Fassbinder (3 books)
  • Corpselight (Verity Fassbinder #2)
  • Restoration (Verity Fassbinder #3)