Start by marking “The Beekeeper's Secret” as Want to Read:
The Beekeeper's Secret

The Beekeeper's Secret

Maria Lindsey has secrets to hide. Living on top of a secluded mountain is a good way to hide from the world... until her past begins to track her down. The surprising and intriguing new novel about the astounding secrets we keep from those we love.

'Maria knew about guilt. It was a stubborn, pervasive and toxic emotion, and incredibly difficult to shake. Especially if real
Published April 1st 2016 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Beekeeper's Secret, please sign up.
Josephine Moon A complicated question! But it seems to be largely due to human impact, through chemicals, electromagnetic, disease and pest transfer etc.

Start your review of The Beekeeper's Secret
Dale Harcombe
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four and a half stars
Don’t let the colourful chick lit type cover put you off this one. There are a lot more layers to this story and some of it covering serious topics. Maria Lindsay is an ex nun living with a mountain of guilt for events that happened many years earlier. These days she is in charge of Honeybee Haven, where she tends her beehives and creates honey products with the money raised going to help orphaned children. But then her niece Tansy tracks her down by letter wanting to meet h
Veronica ⭐️
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Moon has managed to take two topical yet unrelated subjects, the decline in the number of bees and abuse in the Catholic church, meld them together and make it not sound contrived.

The characters are convincingly flawed and the story has a strong theme of family and secrets. And not only the beekeeper has secrets. Each family member has their own problem that they are silently dealing with. These are problems that a lot of readers can relate to on a personal level. The secrets all come tumbling o
Marianne
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Beekeeper’s Secret is the third book by Australian author, Josephine Moon. Tansy Butterfield is about to turn thirty, and she wants to turn her birthday party into a reunion for extended family. Her mother Enid, and her aunt Florrie have been estranged from their sister Maria ever since she left home, aged sixteen, to enter the convent. Unbeknownst to the sisters, Tansy has managed to track down the former nun to Honeybee Haven in the Noosa hinterland, only an hour’s drive away.

Maria Lindsey
Michael
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ozzie-gems
There is an old saying that goes "every family has their secrets" and that is very much the case for Maria Lindsey's. For years, she has lived a solitary life tending her bees and making honey to help support a children's orphanage. Her former life as a nun is a seemingly distant memory. All she has had to do was have no contact with her family, a consequence of her self-imposed atonement for her past sins.

But as much as Maria tries to avoid it, her past will be thrust back into the present when
Karen ⊰✿
This is an easy read set on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland where Maria (ex nun and beekeeper) is reunited with her niece, Tansy.
Tansy is 30 and has never met Maria before but is determined to try and find out more about her and bring her into the family. At the same time Tansy has some major life decisions to make and so the two stories of Maria's past and Tansy's present interweave.
What I loved was the descriptions of beekeeping and bees. Fascinating! The rest of the story was... a little le
Sharon Jarvis
A heart-felt and delightful story set on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland in Australia. Truly loved the setting and found the characters captivating and the story embroiled with family secrets! Maria and Tansy are wonderfully contrasted and developed throughout the story. Loved the beekeeping information which was scattered throughout the story - would have been great to have some of the honey recipes added at the end too. The Catholic Church aspect was not so pleasant but was obviously an impor ...more
MichelleG
The Beekeeper's Secret is quite an expansive story. Josephine Moon weaves together issues of Mystery, Murder, Scandals, Family secrets, Ecological decline, Religious embargo's and exploitation, in such a way that within the pages the story unfolds to reveal a plot that is so clever and complexly woven together that you are simply compelled along with this convincingly flawed yet endearing set of characters. I thoroughly enjoyed the enigmatic labyrinth that is this book. ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
The Beekeeper’s Secret is a thoughtful and engaging story of family, secrets, guilt and redemption.

“Now it seemed that what they said was true, that the past would indeed always catch up with you—especially if you had something to hide.”

Though Maria Lindsey has spent decades attempting to atone for her mistakes, first as a nun, and now as the manager, and beekeeper, of Honeybee Haven, whose activities support a Cambodian orphanage, she has always known that the time would come when she would hav
Sasha
Got this one as a proof so am not going to give away the plot. I have read Moon's second book The Chocolate Promise which I really enjoyed. I like Moon's writing style and characters. I like how the characters in Moon's books are not isolated - you get a real sense of the way they are connected to family, friends and community - building a much more dimensional character than some other writers do.
This one deals with the very topical issue of child sex abuse within the Catholic church and the fa
Kathryn
I first heard about The Beekeeper's Secret from Deborah over at the Debbish blog. Her review catapulted me into wanting to read it. Not long after I was down at our local bookshop to buy it and I must say there are no regrets!

Australian author Josephine Moon has written a wonderful book that touched me on many levels.
It is set on the Sunshine coast of Queensland and it was evocative of all that is beautiful there. While I have only visited for a short few days, this book brought it all back to
Kathryn
Loved the setting for this one - Noosa, Noosaville, Eumundi, Wilston - all places I’m familiar with. Also loved the themes of repentance and forgiveness and how the bees are interwoven into the story.

There are some deep issues in this book, with abuse within the Catholic church being very topical, especially at the moment, and other issues involving resolution of conflict within families and reconciliation. But despite the heavy issues, it never felt like it was heavy going.

This is my second Jos
Theresa Smith
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2016
The Beekeeper’s Secret was a really well thought out story, evenly paced, with likeable characters in honest situations. And the Beekeeper’s secret turned out to be quite a secret indeed, but Josephine Moon handled the unveiling of this in a timely fashion. Rather than drawing out its disclosure, she let us in on the secret quite early on and the story was all the richer for it.

It’s hard to review this novel without spoiling the story for others, so I feel a bit restricted in what comments I can
Natalie  S
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Beekeeper’s Secret marks a slight departure in style for Australian author, Josephine Moon. In her third novel the writer has once again put together a vibrant and easy-to-read story about love, loss, family and friendship but this time around also manages to thread in some extra twists of suspense and mystery to the tale, as well tackling some dark and topical subject matter. This was ultimately an enjoyable book boasting some well-realised characters and hopefully this is not the last that ...more
Loulou Szal
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Josephine Moon has cleverly written a timely story that complements the current media hype surrounding that most shocking of crimes; child molestation, concealed beneath the wings of the great Catholic Church, here in Australia.
She has added to this a sweet array of characters, all intertwined with their everyday, ordinary lives and she masterfully brings them together in such a way that we feel we are part of them, or they are part of our lives too.
"The Beekeeper's Secret" is easy to read and t
Kathryn Mackenzie
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won an unfinished proof of The Beekeeper's Secret through a Goodreads Giveaway.
The characters were interesting and inviting, and I wanted to stay with them all the way to the end.
This book also furthered an interest I already had in bees, and actually had me looking up laws in my area for residential beekeeping.
Being non-religious, I often worry that books with a particular theme (in this case the Catholic church) will be too preachy for my liking, but was happy to find that was not the case.
Caroline Poole
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
As with the Chocolate Promise, The Beekeepers Secret is a light family drama (with some dark overtones) set in a great Australian setting. After I wanted to move to Tasmania an open a Chocolate shop, now I am off to Noosa to keep bees! An enjoyable read!
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won this Through Goodreads First Read.
I really enjoyed this book. Love the writing style, I really connected with the characters. I found it took a little bit to get going but once it did I was hooked. Such a wonderful book.
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

It was first book I have read by Josephine Moon and I will certainly be on the lookout for her other books.

It was an enjoyable read centered on a family and the secrets which have been kept for many years.
Andrew Hall
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Of the 3 books of Josephine Moon I have read this was the most engaging and entertaining. An enjoyable read.
Denise Ackers
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. All of her books are great. They each have a theme - tea, chocolate and bees - and give good information about each. They also deal with relationships - the ups and downs. Easy to read as well.
Caroline
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Even on my best day I'm not going to be the biggest fan of brussel sprouts. They do not, however, deserve to be used as a type of purgatory!
Yvette Finley
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Beekeepers Secret from Australian author Josephine Moon retains all the great qualities from the author of international bestsellers The Chocolate Promise and the Tea Chest.
The book feels like a natural evolution of Josephine's writing - still very easy to read with vibrant environments you want to immerse yourself in (I loved the mountain retreat the main character Maria lives in), characters that you find yourself intimately involved with, and a wonderfully engaging storyline (with some ge
Shanayah
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full review here: https://scarletbookkeeper.wordpress.c...

Can I start by saying how adorable the cover is? All of Josephine Moon’s books (The Tea Chest and The Chocolate Promise) have such cute covers. I really enjoyed reading The Beekeeper’s Secret, it has such a refreshingly light, charming story with realistic, relatable characters. The character development is clear and natural, especially for Maria. The first meeting between Maria and her niece, Tansy was so awkwardly cute! Sometimes I felt
Bill Traves
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Darker. Sweeter. Even better than the Chocolate Promise and The Tea Chest combined. This book will launch Josephine Moon into the stratosphere. Could she be any more on trend?
This book has it all. Mystery, topical issues such as religion and abuse in the church, genuinely fascinating insights into the world of bees, and her descriptions of the Sunshine Coast hinterland, the honey and all the amazing foods you can make from honey were all so powerful they just blew me away. As with her other boo
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Beekeeper's Secret is my first Josephine Moon book and I imagine it won't be my last. This novel is probably what I would call a family saga? With a sprinkle of mystery. The novel tells the story of two women: Tansy and Maria.
Maria is an old nun who dedicates all her time to her bees and making products from honey to sell for a children's charity in Cambodia. And Tansy is a thirty year old woman who is debating what she really wants in life. It transpires that Maria is actually Tansy's aunti
Blodeuedd Finland
To think that bees could be that interesting. It's a sad fact really, the bees are dying, we should all look out for our buddies the bees! We truly need them. And in this book, oh I liked how much Maria loved her bees. They were her family.

Maria is a former nun who is now the manager of a retreat and she also makes honey products. She has a secret, a dark one that we slowly learns. It's a book that ultimately deals with some heavy subjects.

Tansy is happily married, but at a crossroads, and she r
Ally Cartwright
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read her other books I don't think I would have read them because mystery/thrillers/crime novels are more my thing. I came across a copy of the Beekeepers secret (not published yet?) and I really liked it. It reminded me of The Secret Life of Bees. Easy to read, but not fluff. I'm Catholic and I wasn't offended at all by the Catholic references it was really well done and captures how most of us feel about the abuse in the church. I know I struggle when I see things on the news all the ...more
Jenine
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a goodreads giveaway. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. After finishing an emotionally draining novel, I picked up The Beekeeper's Secretand was hooked. An easy read that sweeps you along with it's feel good narration. While the 'secret' of the beekeeper is dark, the main characters are heart warmingly friendly. The reunion of the family is laugh out loud hilarious. What could be an ultimate screaming match and packed with hurtful remarks is narrated in such a way as to ...more
Scbaobao
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
The Beekeeper’s Secret – Josephine Moon
I received this as uncorrected proof from Goodreads Giveaways. This is the third book of Josephine Moon’s that I have read and for me the most engaging and well-rounded story.
This is a book about past choices and families torn apart by these choices. The main theme is the impact of these choices on our lives and how understanding the perspective of others is vital in the journey to forgiveness. The story moves at a reasonably fast pace, the main protagonis
Alice Dowden
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really tried to finish this but found the tone of the book nauseatingly "high-school". It read like the diary of an American teenager despite the painstaking lengths the author made to establish its Australian context.

I hate to sound harsh but I thought the writing itself lacked subtlety and skill. The author was too busy "telling" us everything she neglected to "show" us anything. It seemed to lack the finesse to qualify as quality literature.

Quite disappointed as I wanted to love it and sup
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Pearl Thief
  • Khaki Town
  • The Last Dance
  • The Kookaburra Creek Cafe
  • Water Under the Bridge (Chalk Hill #1)
  • The Tailor's Girl
  • Nanberry: Black Brother White
  • The Best Kind of Beautiful
  • A Lifetime of Impossible Days
  • The French Perfumer
  • The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart
  • The Silver Ladies of London: Four heroines, a scandal, a secret and a silver Rolls Royce
  • Sanctuary
  • The Boy Under the Table
  • The Postmistress
Hello! I live in the Noosa hinterland in Australia and now have the great pleasure of writing warm-hearted, feel good, contemporary fiction books for a living. I am published in Australia, NZ, UK, Ireland, Norway, Greece and Germany. I'm so grateful to everyone who buys and reads my books. Thank you!