Start by marking “Some Go Hungry” as Want to Read:
Some Go Hungry

Some Go Hungry

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"Redmond...successfully captures the spirit and ethos of the place while telling an emotionally resonant, page-turning story."
-- Booklist

"This literary mystery follows Grey Daniels on a return trip to his hometown of Fort Sackville, Indiana where, decades earlier, one of his gay classmates was brutally murdered. While visiting, Grey must confront a painful past riddled in
Published May 17th 2016 by Kaylie Jones Books

To ask other readers questions about Some Go Hungry, please sign up.
J. Redmond 1 Corinthians -- Speaks to division in one's community and church.

Order at the Lord’s Supper

"17 But in the following instructions, I cannot praise…more
1 Corinthians -- Speaks to division in one's community and church.

Order at the Lord’s Supper

"17 But in the following instructions, I cannot praise you. For it sounds as if more harm than good is done when you meet together. 18 First, I hear that there are divisions among you when you meet as a church, and to some extent I believe it. 19 But, of course, there must be divisions among you so that you who have God’s approval will be recognized!

20 When you meet together, you are not really interested in the Lord’s Supper. 21 For some of you hurry to eat your own meal without sharing with others. As a result, some go hungry while others get drunk."(less)
Crave Me by M.  RobinsonA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasJaq with a Q by Jettie WoodruffThe Hidden Oracle by Rick RiordanThe Last Star by Rick Yancey
May 2016 Releases
118 books — 304 voters
Bleak House by Charles DickensThe Light Between Oceans by M.L. StedmanDracula by Bram StokerLife After Life by Kate AtkinsonThe Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
Hygge Reads
57 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Mia Siegert
I have no clue what to think of this book. :( I'm trying to figure out a way to leave a review but I don't want it to sound mean because there's definitely merit.

The beginning was super promising. I was eagerly anticipating a read that was literary and sweet with a bit of a Donald Strachey feel to it.

I'm not entirely sure what happened. After those first two chapters, it felt like a different person wrote the book, or like two books were spliced together by accident. The dialogue was extremely
Eddie Casson
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
J. Patrick Redmond has an authentic voice and his words paint a vivid portrait that immediately draws you in- a true storyteller. Some Go Hungry is an absorbing book, so much was relatable as I’m also from a small midwestern town. Much takes place in the family owned restaurant. Fried chicken and bus tubs paired with quirky country characters resonated greatly with my own childhood, as did the struggles when coming to terms with orientation while pushing through a wall of shame. Searching for a ...more
Michael
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent writing with a plot that rings true. The novel is set in a fictionalized Vincennes, Indiana; since my first professional library job was in Flora, IL, a hour west of Vincennes, and I met my first lover in Vincennes, the story affected me emotionally. Highly recommended.
Gina
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story really touched on some of the hate and terrible things that go on in the world. I was enraged by some of the characters and how horribly they acted towards others, but I was also uplifted by how kind and accepting others were. It really throws both extremes of human behavior out there and makes you think, "How do I want to be treated and treat others." I also like the fact that it pulls from real life. Sometimes you don't solve a mystery or get revenge against a bully, but you have to ...more
Greg Hoover
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it, and then share it!

Good books entertain you; great books change you. Some Go Hungry is most definitely the latter. We've become so dehumanizing in our culture--people who are different or hold different opinions stop being people and start being an ideology or a lifestyle. Redmond does an amazing job of humanizing what has sadly become a polarizing issue for our society, and in so doing paints an amazing picture of a challenging time. One of the great novels that I've read, ever.
Joanne Biles
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timely, gripping, fascinating. J Patrick Redmond has captured a typical Midwestern small town's atrocities and prejudices toward the LGBT community. A journey evocative of our current time and place, depicting an America struggling and flailing between acceptance and resistance of those who dare to be different. I was up all night reading this and that's always my highest recommendation.
Mckenzie Cassidy
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A poignant debut from Redmond focusing on a gay man's struggle with his own identity growing up in a conservative Midwestern town. Recommended for any readers who feel like they can't live a genuine life as themselves.
Susan
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction, lgbt
The author is from my hometown, so it was fun to try to figure out the lightly fictionalized places and such.
Andrea Irr
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I come from a small town in Southern Indiana and Pat has captured the feel of it wonderfully. I knew the picturesque somewhat dreamy feel of my hometown, where I was free to ride my bike anywhere, knew all of my neighbors and looked forward to the homemade caramel popcorn balls of Halloween and the gorgeous snowfall in the winter. I was so innocent.

I remember standing outside the stone jailhouse talking to the inmates and being too naive to know it might not be a good thing to
Michelle
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A heartfelt,entertaining story of a man who lived but hid who he was and how he felt most of the time.Is that living?It is sad the things that make us "us" and not many people realize it.It is for our protection and personal safety when we can venture out of the "box" we find out who we are and how wonderful life can be and feel.Grey basically sacrificed his true happiness for his family's business but found that eventually we do find ourselves.
Arlyna Wininger
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book

Loved this book such a wonderful story. You will fall in love with the Daniels family I know I did.
clarissa powell
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. It made me laugh, it made me cry,it made me angry. But most of all it made me see how much we need to stand up for each other. Can't wait to see J Patrick Redmonds next book
Haley Keller
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
As soon as I heard about this book, I knew I had to read it. Some Go Hungry takes place in southern Indiana, the same place I grew up. While the town in the book, Fort Sackville, is fictional, it seems to be a fictional version of Vincinnes. Portions of the book also take place in Evansville (which is essentially considered a metropolis to Fort Sackville just like it is my hometown), and while they're never shown in the book, it was cool to see Indianapolis and even Greenwood mentioned.

The book
Dee
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I probably should give this book five stars just because the true story happened in my hometown. He described things so well I had no difficulty knowing where the story was located. I was intrigued. I left in 1976 and this murder happened 10 years later. He did an excellent job for a debut novel and if this book doesn't get Olivia Benson on the case I don't know what will. Basically, a young gay man was murdered and there was a cover-up and the case was never solved. The author came back to "For ...more
Deirdre Sinnott
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes reality feels like fiction. But too often we find that our reality is the stuff that books are made from. Some Go Hungry is based on true events that still are shocking. Redmond had given us a taste of America as real as the fried chicken served in his family's restaurant. It's a moving book and that brought the stirring characters down a road I hope no one else has to travel. An important book for all of us.
Lynn Hall
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Book for a Bookclub Discussion

The author used the real names of some towns and cities so why not do that throughout the whole book? I live in Southern Indiana so I am familiar with its geography. I liked the book, but would have liked to know more about what has happened to the main characters. How was retirement for Grey's parents? I would recommend the book.
Steve Woods
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, gay-fiction
An average book, in saying that better than most in the genre. Exploring the difficulties of growing up gay in a small country town, and the rabid destructive position so often taken by Christian churches in such communities.
Gregory Fletcher
Sep 04, 2016
Alan
Dec 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
J. PATRICK REDMOND was born and raised in southern Indiana and recently returned to his home state after sixteen years of living in South Florida and teaching for the Miami-Dade County Public School System. Presently he teaches English Composition at the University of Southern Indiana.

Patrick holds a BA in English from Florida International University in Miami and an MFA in creative writing and li

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Curtain of Green: and Other Stories (Harvest/HBJ Book)
  • Three Times Lucky
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Homeland (Crown Family Saga, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99