Start by marking “Ada Twist, Scientist” as Want to Read:
Ada Twist, Scientist

Ada Twist, Scientist

(Questioneers Picture Books)

Scientist Ada has a boundless imagination and has always been hopelessly curious. Why are there pointy things stuck to a rose? Why are there hairs growing inside your nose? When her house fills with a horrific, toe-curling smell, Ada knows it’s up to her to find the source. What would you do with a problem like this? Not afraid of failure, Ada embarks on a fact-finding mis ...more
Published September 6th 2016 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Ada Twist, Scientist, please sign up.
Kirst IE Fantastic book about a child who doesn't speak until she is 3, then goes on to look at the world and explore it very uniquely. Ada not being afraid of…moreFantastic book about a child who doesn't speak until she is 3, then goes on to look at the world and explore it very uniquely. Ada not being afraid of failure sends a strong message about the importance of having a growth mindset. Fabulous story! Great illustrations!(less)

Start your review of Ada Twist, Scientist
Carmen
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
"Why does it tick and why does it tock?"
"Why don't we call it a grandDAUGHTER clock?"
"Why are there pointy things stuck to a rose?"
"Why are there hairs up inside of your nose?"

She started with Why? and then What? How? and When?
By bedtime she came back to Why? once again.
She drifted to sleep as her dazed parents smiled
at the curious thoughts of their curious child,
who wanted to know what the world was about.
They kissed her and whispered, "You'll figure it out."

This is the third STEM book by Andre
Sarah Hannah
FUCK YEAH BROWN GIRLS AND SCIENCE
David Schaafsma
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year I and my family read and rate all the Goodreads picture book nominees. This one is nominated for 2016. I make a few comments and then add their separate ratings and each of their comments. There's 20 and this is the LAST being rated. My rating might be somewhat influenced by the family, naturally. This one actually is in the finals, and we are glad it is, as one of our best rated for the year.

Ada Marie! Ada Marie!
Said not a word till the day she was three.

This is a rhyming book, right
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. I needed this as a child and if there any mini-Olivia-Savannah's in the futures I know what they need to read.

WHAT I LIKED:

- We have a brown girl scientist and I am so so so here for it. More like this please!
- Loved the illustrations. Brown family, brown hair, the way that blank space is sometimes used, and sometimes the whole pages is filled. It captured the boy I was reading with and me too, admittedly.
- I am so here for seeing parents in books who want the best for their child,
Manybooks
Maybe I am truly being just a bit (and perhaps even much more than a bit) too curmudgeonly here, but honestly, why should Andrea Beaty point out in her Ada Twist, Scientist that young Ada asks questions (and attempts scientific experiments) not simply because she is intelligent, not because she is curious and desires to find out the required information and knowledge she lacks and wants to know, but seemingly only and solely because she is somehow and supposedly meant to be a scientist?

For yes
Colleen
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, prek-2
It's a clever concept that I really admire, but after a while of the forced rhymes I did tire.
Ijeoma
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-reads
A great book that I read with my daughter. I love how Ada's parents are very supportive of her creativity and understand the need to be patient and encourage. I purchased this book for my daughter because she likes to experiment, question and explore everything around her. The added perk, my daughter's name is also Ada.
Liza Fireman
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
I am happy about this book overall. Ada twist is a curios young toddler, that is constantly questioning, wondering and learning about the world around her. A book about a girl with scientific affiliation (and a black one too if you check out the illustrations) is more of what we need for our young ones.

“Why does it tick and why does it tock?”
“Why don’t we call it a granddaughter clock?”
“Why are there pointy things stuck to a rose?”
“Why are there hairs up inside of your nose?”
She started with Wh
Kathryn
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Ada Twist, Scientist and my four-year-old son enjoyed it, too. We are big Iggy Peck, Architect fans here and my son shares characteristics of both Iggy (loves to build) and Ada (loves to ask questions and find out "why?" and "how?") I appreciated many nuances he is too little to understand, such as the book about her namesake (Ada Lovelace) on the floor, and the real source of that mysterious stink! ;-) I also appreciated how Ada's family found ways to channel her curiosity and interests ...more
Sara Grochowski
Ada Twist is such a smart, curious, determined character - I adore her! A scientist from the start, Ada is constantly wondering about and questioning the world around her. Who? What? Why? Where? When? Her sense of wonder is infectious. A fantastic addition to Beaty & Roberts' growing series. ...more
Krissy
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-tristan
**Rated by my son**
Agnė
Funny, inspiring and beautifully illustrated:

I love the humor, rhymes and Ada's parents' efforts to accommodate and to encourage their hyperactive and extremely curious daughter's interests and talents:

They watched their young daughter and sighed as they did.
What would they do with this curious kid,
who wanted to know what the world was about?
They smiled and whispered, "We'll figure it out."

And that's what they did -- because that's what you do
when your kid has a passion and heart that is true.
Th
Melissa
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was perfectly adorable, and I’ll definitely recommend this one to kids and their parents! Excellent early STEM story.
Jakub
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Story about curiosity and how important it is to allow children to be curious. That no matter who you are - girl or a boy, you can be curious about everything. When you curious you ask questions and try to get into why something is what it is. And you should be allowed to ask as many questions you like, and parents and teachers should help you or guide you to find answers.
Rachel Watkins
Beaty's latest installment of her books that inspire children to be whatever they desire (an engineer, an architect) is about a young girl who was born a scientist with an inquisitive mind that her parents had to learn how to accommodate! I adore this book and you will too.
Barb
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book to share with my soon to be 5 year old granddaughter who likes science. She provided the most sought after review: read it again Grandma!

It is humourous, informative, and inspiring.
Jillian Heise
This series is fabulous, and the newest does not disappoint. The rhyming verse is filled with scientific method connections, and encourages the questioning of the world. I especially love how supportive the family is of Ada.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I love this series by Beaty. This one is in honor of Marie Curie and Ada Lovelace.
Lata
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ada Twist is CURIOUS. And she asks lots of questions and conducts experiments. She's fun.
My favourite question: "Why don't we call it a granddaughter clock?"
Michelle Olson
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I kept laughing at Ada’s brother pointing at her with a blank look on his face. Super cute.
Mehsi
Ada Twist, a little girl with a knack for all things science.

She will do anything to find a solution, even though it might frustrate teachers and parents. Also poor cat!

She starts off as a baby, and we see her grow up to a child. We see her first words (of course as expected they would be those). We see her find out that life isn't always easy, and that people might not be always too happy when she does her experimenting.

I really liked Ada, liked how smart she was, how inventive she was, and h
Amanda--A Scientist Reads
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who knows children interested in learning
This picture-book focuses on the world of and life with a curious minded child named Ada. The illustrations are beautiful and it is a quick book to get through as story-time, or before-bed read. The author must have had or been around inquisitive children, because the story pegs the number and variety of questions perfectly.

Ada learns how to properly focus her questions so she can determine answers instead of continuing to wonder, and her family learns how to be supportive, even when they don't
Lydia
omg, this was so much fun.

this is about a little scientist called ada marie twist, a little black girl with natural hair who is obsessed with the who, the what, the when, the how, but most of all, the why.

this is an excellent book about a child's curiosity and how that curiosity can change and grow and become something that sustains you. it is definitely a positive representation of a young little girl in STEM and would be a lovely book to read with a little human.

the writing rhymed, which ma
Sara
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While I typically don't add picture books to my Goodreads "read" books list (because it feels a bit like cheating for the purposes of my GR challenge goal), I felt compelled to add Ada Twist, Scientist after reading it to my friend's two year old Penny, at bed time the other day. The rhyme scheme, pictures, and portrayal of a girl interested in science were all spot on, and Penny and I were both enchanted.

Jasmine
Science demands LOTS OF QUESTIONS.
Vi
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this story about a sassy gal with a knack for science! My son asked me to read it to him over and over and I'm happy that he grows up with stories that reflect our society!
Abigail
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books Featuring Young Scientists
In this entertaining follow-up to Iggy Peck, Architect and Rosie Revere, Engineer , author Andrea Beaty and illustrator David Roberts once again deliver a tale of a youngster following her passion, even when the adults in her life are (at first) bemused and slightly less-than-understanding. A late bloomer when it came to speech, the eponymous Ada Twist soon made up for it by asking any number of questions, starting with WHY? With the heart and mind of a true scientist, Ada was always look ...more
Kym
Always great to see books about girls loving science! A rhyming rhythm accompanies you through the pages; retelling the story of Ada Twist, Scientist! Nicely thought out book that shows Ada exhibiting all the hallmarks of a great scientist - asking questions, hypothesising, running experiments, and recognising that there is no such thing as a failed experiment. Easy, read aloud book :)
Also - cute to ask children to examine the pictures - find evidence - hypothesise - what do they think the smell
- ̗̀ fantine ̖́-
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ada Marie said not a word til the day she turned three, then she couldn’t stop asking; Why? What? Who? When? Where?

Ada’s curiosity leads to questions, which lead to hypothesis, which then lead to experiments which often lead to trouble. But nothing can deter this bright young questioneer.

Told in rhymes this story is a joy to read, the illustrations are adorable and Ada’s sense of wonder is infectious. I love!
Cheryl
May 10, 2020 added it
Gundula says it insults those in the humanities, and that the child is destructive. Kathryn (an actual mom) praises the parenting. Another reviewer says the child has an unmentioned "developmental delay." Let's see what I see.

I do know that we need people to understand and appreciate science even if they don't grow up to be scientists. We have far too many idjit anti-vaxxers, creationists, astrologers, etc. preying on the under-educated.
............

• Ish
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • Thunder Boy Jr.
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • The Day You Begin
  • Saturday
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Maybe Something Beautiful: How Art Transformed a Neighborhood
  • Dragons Love Tacos 2: The Sequel
  • Show and Tell
  • Be Kind
For more information, visit my website (www.AndreaBeaty.com).

Also, visit www.Questioneers.com for posters, activities, educator resources, and other information about the Questioneer books.

Further, check out Story Time From Space to see Ada Twist and Rosie Revere read at the International Space Station by astronauts! It’s out of this world.

Questioneers Picture Books (4 books)
  • Rosie Revere, Engineer