Start by marking “Always a Cowboy (The Carsons of Mustang Creek, #2)” as Want to Read:
Always a Cowboy (The Carsons of Mustang Creek, #2)

Always a Cowboy

(The Carsons of Mustang Creek #2)

He's the middle of the three Carson brothers and is as stubborn as they come—and he won't thank a beautiful stranger for getting in his way!

Drake Carson is the quintessential cowboy. In charge of the family ranch, he knows the realities of this life, its pleasures and heartbreaks. Lately, managing the wild stallions on his property is wearing him down. When an interfering
Published August 30th 2016 by HQN Books

To ask other readers questions about Always a Cowboy, please sign up.
Courtney Buchanan This is the second book. The first book is Once a Rancher. There is a third one slated to come out in March of this year.

Julie
Always a Cowboy ( The Carsons of Mustang Creek #2) is a HQN publication.

Let me count the ways I loved this story!

You know what they say about how still waters run deep. That is Drake Carson in a nutshell, so don’t let his quiet nature fool you. He is very passionate, sweet, funny, and brave, with a high moral code, and Luce is one lucky gal. I liked Luce too, and I think this couple will make a great team.

Adding to the romantic backdrop is the beautiful Wyoming scenery, and the realistic, auth
Wendy'sThoughts
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Western, Romance
3.5 It only Takes A Look Stars
* * * 1/2
Linda Lael Miller is the real deal...if you ever want to feel like you are living the reality of true Ranch Life...pick up one of her books. Me, I am a city gal who has had a little bit of experience with western riding... a little bit...Yet from all the times spent with those who handled horses, lived the life 24/7....all the words on the page by Miller rang true to me.

This is a second installment to The Carsons of Mustang Creek series. We have life as the
Susan
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book. Second in the Carson series, this book is about Drake, the middle brother. Older brother, Slater (Once a Rancher), is the producer of documentaries, and younger brother, Mace, is in charge of the family winery. Drake runs the family ranch, which is just right for him. The land and its traditions are his life's blood. Not to say there aren't challenges to go along with it. For the past year they have been losing calves to a mountain lion, and there's a herd of wild horses whose stallio ...more
Genesis Sheli (Latte Nights Reviews)
This review was originally posted on Latte Nights Reviews.

This is my first time reading a book by this author and unfortunately, it wasn't a success. Drake is a stubborn man who's very old fashioned and loves to work at the ranch. He has his routines and doesn't like when people interrupt that. Luce arrives wanting to learn about the wild animals and learning about Drake as a rancher for her thesis.

Honestly, this had it all for me to like and I was enjoying the banter between Drake and Luce. Wha
JoAnne
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read my review on Romancing-the-Book.com by clicking on the link below:

Robin Reynolds / October Woman
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the first book in this series, ONCE A RANCHER, so when I came across this book at a library sale I snatched it up and started reading it almost as soon as I was back home.

Drake definitely appealed to me. Cowboy, cares about animals, stoic, stubborn. I liked Luce, but I understood completely why Drake was exasperated about her suddenly being on his ranch, interfering with his life. But I loved that when Luce wanted to wander around on her own, thinking she was immune to the every day dan
Taylor Metcalfe
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, western
I love a good cowboy romance. I can enjoy a modest love story.

But this book was very boring. Sweet story with some romantic scenes but overall there was absolutely no conflict. Nothing to really make it exciting to read.

I may or may not read the next book in the Carson brothers series depends on how well the blurb can snatch my attention.
Jonel Boyko
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Miller brings the West to life in her usual, stunningly picturesque manner that will have you walking alongside the characters and falling head over heels in love. The intimately intricate plot drew me in, allowing me to live this fantastically romantic story rather than simply read it.

Miller definitely had me in tears with this one. Tears of laughter that is. Her unforgettable characters came together in such remarkable ways, allowing me to experience all aspects of what makes them who they are
Tricia Douglas
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Just a cute, quick romance to change the pace. I love Miller's writing - simple story, but great characters. Always a happy ending.
Aly
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Going for a ride on his horse, thinking about the calves that goes missing for a year now, Drake Carson meet a furious and wet from the rain woman. She angrily inform him that he just scared off the stallion she took so much time to track.

Lucinda "Luce" Hale was gathering information for her thesis about wild horses and how they interact with ranch life, the impact it has on it. Blythe Carson is a friend to her mother, so she invited Luce to study at the ranch and stay with them for a while.

Dra
Julie Barrett
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always a cowboy by Linda Lael Miller
Have enjoyed the authors other works. Starts with listing of authors other works and series.
This book starts out with Drake Carson who's in WY runs the family herds and the middle son. He doesn't have the time to figure out why the herd is thinning...
Luce Hale is studying the herds to find a solution to their problem. Steamy sex scenes and few characters and most banter with one another to make the story very interesting.
Like views of what to do with wild ani
Megan
It was ok. Sorta blah. Forgettable. Everything was tied up in a nice little package. Little to absolutely no conflict of any type in the story. At times it seemed like reading the inner monologue of a girls idea of an imaginary good man as she built him in her head. I've read a lot by LLM (According to my GRs account, 30 book, what can i say, I LOVE series and LOVE cowboys:) ) and generally enjoy them, but this was just so blahhhhh. And the whole conflict with the wild horses was sorted out on o ...more
Books and Spoons
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lovely look at the life at the Mustang Creek where family matters, where the townsfolk take care of each other, and where the Carson brothers are finding love while living life to the fullest.
I enjoyed Luce and Drake, the way the interacted together, they way they respected each other and had only honesty and straight talk between them. From the first moment they are real with each other, and talk about issues that rise between them, without any drama and angst in the tale.
And even though the
Mary
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Drake Carson is the head of his family’s ranch. All his life he’s wanted to carry on the tradition of tending the ranch that’s been in his family for several generations. He cares about the land and the animals who live there. That includes the cattle and the predators that threaten them.

Luce Hale cares about animals and the environment and plans to write her dissertation about the wild horses that roam the Carson ranch. Drake sees them as a nuisance and threat to his horses and land. She hopes
Becky Burciaga
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
In the style true to this author, this HEA western romance was delightfully with charming characters, witty banter and smart dialog which smoothly carries you from opening paragraph to the very last page.

Drake and Lucille (Luce) were heartwarmingly perfect for each other...his stoic, quiet strength complimented her outgoing calm intelligence perfectly. The surroundings in the story were described so perfectly, it was as if you could be standing right there experiencing the story as it unfolded.
Shelly
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Drake is a cowboy through and through and knows ranch life’s ups and downs. Then an interfering college student comes along and offers her opinion when she doesn’t know ranching, but the little spitfire sparks feelings in Drake that are pulling him down.

Luce is doing research for her thesis on wild horses and the Carson ranch is the perfect place to do so, but her run in with the handsome, quiet rancher has her feeling things that possibly won’t work with them living in different states.

This is
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This is a very sweet western romance. Drake is a cowboy, through and through. Luce is a city girl who loves the outdoors. They do clash at first but it does not take long for them to see that they belong together. There is a nice cast of character and two very conniving Mothers in the mix. It seems that this time mother does know best. There is not a lot of tension in the story, just a very interesting romance between two great characters.

Miller has included part of her story at the end of the b
Kari
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, for-review, kindle
This one made me sad because I love this author. But, this book just failed for me. Maybe I'm getting tired of this series, but it felt like it was the same thing I have read from her before. The romance was so flat, fast and I didn't really buy into it. I ended up skimming about 50% of the book to get to the end.
Heather andrews
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I'm thinking Drake appreciates how his woman dresses at times, "he gave her a deliberate once-over. “Damn.” I liked this book, I loved Drake, he was attentive and caring to Luce and he loved his dog Harold.
Kristin
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Although I like country music and wouldn't mind finding an urban cowboy of my own, the only time I've ever been west of the Mississippi was for a couple trips to Vegas as a teen, and western romances don't usually appeal to me. However, I got this book in a grab bag while visiting my aunt and figured it was at least worth a chance. It is the second in a series about the Carson brothers, a trio of handsome men who live on a Wyoming ranch although as they've grown up, their career paths take them ...more
Pam
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Always a Cowboy: the Carsons of Mustang Creek Book 2 is by Linda Lael Miller. It is the second of the Mustang Creek trilogy. The three Carson brothers live together with their Mother in the huge ranch house built by their Grandfather. It is large enough to house the brothers and their families when they have them. Mace has other accommodations near the vineyard and winery he runs, Slater has other accommodations for his film production business; but their main home is the ranch. Drake Carson run ...more
Journeythroughbooks
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017

Rezension – Mustang Creek Liebe ist mein Gefühl für dich - Linda Lael Miller
Wildpferde in der Nähe einer Ranch: Für Lucinda Hale ist das die perfekte Gelegenheit die Tiere zu beobachten! Wenn bloß dieser ignorante Rancher Drake Carson nicht von ihr verlangen würde, dass die Herde möglichst schnell verschwindet. Bei jeder ihrer Begegnungen scheint die Luft zwischen Lucinda und Drake Funken zu sprühen. Und dann küsst er sie plötzlich überraschend zärtlich. Hat dieses Knistern zwischen ihnen etwa
Lovely Girl
Kritik:
Frauenschmöker sind so gar nicht meins, doch als ich den Untertitel und den Klappentext las, weckte das Buch in mir Interesse.

Unsere Hauptprotagonistin, Lucinda Hale, hätte sich nichts schöner gewünscht als den Sommer mit den prachtvollen Pferden auf der Ranch zu genießen. Doch der wird in einem Schlag von dem Rancher, Drake Carson, zerstört. Dieser verlangt, dass die Herde verschwindet. Trotz ihrer Wut dem Aufreißer gegenüber, fühlt sie sich in seiner Nähe stets zu ihm hingezogen und zu
Rebekah
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I kept waiting for the ~dramatic problems~ to start and...they just never did? It was a very straightforward story about people who are attracted to each other, discuss it like adult humans, embark on a relationship, talk about their feelings, work out their differences, etc. I kept waiting for lightning to strike but the book ended about 70 pages before I thought it would because of author essays and excerpts from other books. So it was just a very easygoing book about Wyoming! HOWEVER. I am pr ...more
Crystal
Always a Cowboy is the second book in The Carsons of Mustang Creek. Linda Lael Miller has created yet another awesome series. Never fear if you have not picked up Once a Rancher yet. Always a Cowboy will stand alone just fine.

Drake Carson is the classic cowboy. He puts his all into the family ranch, he loves his family, and is truly one of the good guys. He is protective of his family and those he cares about. He also has the moral of one of the good ole boys that you just can't help but fall i
Mya
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, contemporary, western
Always A cowboy by Linda Lael Miller
The Carsons of Mustang Creek #2

2 stars - I think I may have read one other book by Linda Lael Miller, so I am not all that familiar with her writing style. This is a new release of hers, yet to me the writing felt dated. Maybe she was trying for that as the Hero was an "old fashioned guy".. but sadly for me, it took a while to read.

What I think worked:
• Drake and Luce’s banter was good
• Red’s odd sayings were funny
• I liked the whole Carson clan
• Luce intera
Cindy Adair
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with most Linda Lael Miller books, this was an enjoyable read. The characters are developed to the point that you feel like you know them. Is the story fairly predictable? Yes, but that is part of the reason I like them. I can just sit back and enjoy the story, especially when it involves cowboys and horses (not necessarily in that order). This is the second story involving three brothers and their family, so it was nice to "catch up" with the characters. But, you can read this book alone or ...more
Eileen
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Drake Carson & Lucinda/Luce Hale
A rancher runs into an environmentalist grad student and sparks fly. She's there to study the wild stallions and he's trying to get his mares back the wild stallion lured away. Drake is a no fuss, few words person and he's annoyed that he wants to study him and his ranching outfit and its impact on the environment. Their clashing and banter was cute and how they both couldn't help being attractive to the other regardless.
I love the setting of Mustang Creek a
Darlene Wilson
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

Drake Carson, in charge of the family ranch, knows the realities of this life. Lately, managing wild stallions on his property is wearing him down. When a so-called expert arrives and starts offering her opinion, Drake is wary, but he can't deny the challenge—she stirs in him.
Luce Hale is researching how wild horses interact with ranch animals—and with ranchers. The Carson mom invites her to stay with the family. Luce and Drake are at odds from the very beginning, But when Drake believes Luce i
Suzie Quint
May 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, dnf
I haven't read this author in a while. Must say I was disappointed with this. The couple fall in love in just a few weeks but I never saw any real chemistry between them. And then there was the credibility problem with a rancher who has a mountain lion treed--a cat that's been killing his livestock and attacked his dogs and he's worried about his womenfolk going outside alone because of it--and he doesn't shoot it. No rancher anywhere would make that call.
  • Someone to Love (Westcott, #1)
  • Last Chance Rebel (Copper Ridge, #6)
  • Riverbend Road (Haven Point, #4)
  • Lone Heart Pass (Ransom Canyon, #3)
  • Sweet Tomorrows (Rose Harbor, #5)
  • Deadly Fate (Krewe of Hunters, #19)
  • Home on Apple Blossom Road (Life in Icicle Falls, #9)
  • The Secrets She Kept (Fairham Island, #2)
  • Miracle on 5th Avenue (From Manhattan with Love, #3)
  • Hot in Hellcat Canyon (Hellcat Canyon, #1)
  • Going Home (Nugget, #1)
  • The Trouble with Mistletoe (Heartbreaker Bay, #2)
  • Christmas in Eternity Springs (Eternity Springs #12)
  • Buck's Landing (A New England Seacoast Romance)
  • Rescued by the Ranger
  • Since I Fell for You (New York Sullivans #2; The Sullivans #16)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen

The Carsons of Mustang Creek (4 books)
  • Once a Rancher (The Carsons of Mustang Creek, #1)
  • Forever a Hero (The Carsons of Mustang Creek, #3)
  • A Snow Country Christmas (The Carsons of Mustang Creek, #4)