Start by marking “The Life of John Birch” as Want to Read:
The Life of John Birch

The Life of John Birch

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The biography of a young American who was brutally murdered by the Chinese Communists in 1945, ten days after then end of World War II. John Birch has been called the first casualty of World War III. "With his death and in his death the battle lines were drawn, in a struggle from which either communism or Christian-style civilization must emerge with one completely triumph ...more
Perfect Paperback, 135 pages
Published June 1st 1960 by Western Islands Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Life of John Birch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life of John Birch

Bliss Tew
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The murder of Captain John Birch in 1945 by Communists in China was covered up by members of our state department. This book brings U.S. Army Captain John Morrison Birch to life and uncovers the hidden story of his murder and the cover-up for Americans outside of those who had a top secret security clearance. Robert Welch's great ability to research the truth and publish changed our knowledge forever about those who aided the Communists and those who died as a result.

Robert Welch, the author, af
Michael
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Conspiracy researchers, fringe historians, conspiracy theorists
Recommended to Michael by: Serendipity
If you’ve ever wondered why the John Birch Society is named after some guy you’ve never heard of, this is the book that explains it. On the other hand, you could simply check his Wikipedia page and find out just as much, without having to sit through Welch’s prose. This book was distributed by the boatload during the Society’s heyday, during the fifties and sixties, when it represented a kind of “opposing counter-culture” to the counter-culture of hippies and the Left. It was designed to speak t ...more
Jim M
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, wat
Oh my god my sides. This started out as a fairly standard hagiography of a man with an admittedly very interesting life, and then took an ABRUPT left turn into Crazytown as Welch started accusing seemingly everyone in government but Joe McCarthy of being a communist or communist dupe. If you want to find out what the rightward fringe was like in the 1950s, have an afternoon to kill, and know where the liquor cabinet is, this is an immensely entertaining read.
Mark Mortensen
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The biography of John Morrison Birch is a condensed easy read of his 27 years of life. Birch was born in India on May 28, 1918 to American Baptist missionary parents with historical ancestry roots within the United States. Raised in America he was driven to follow the path of his parents and following his education at 22 years old he headed to China in the summer of 1940 for mission work. He quickly acquired full command of the Chinese dialect along with proper accents.

In April 1942 following t
Roseanne Wilkins
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Many people hear the name John Birch and don't realize there was actually a man with that name. He was a man who died doing what he believed in. He died trying to help the Chinese be free of communism. I'm young enough I didn't even realize there was a war in China over the concept. Somewhere back in history around the same time as the Chinese battle against communism, Russia was a monarchy, but I never felt that either piece of information applied to me or my life. History was something I endur ...more
Pam Thomas
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK, JOHN BIRCH WAS A MISSIONARY WHO TRIED TO SAVE CHINA BUT BECAME THE VICTIM HIMSELF. HE WAS INVOLVED AS A RIGHT WING ACTIVIST IN THE TEA PARTY AND HIS INFLUENCE IS STILL SEEN TODAY.
Zinger
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-2004
The story of an amazingly good man (John Birch) and a U.S. cover-up of the origins of one histories bloodiest tyrants (Mao Tse-tung).
Richard Gibson
Shannon
rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2012
Sean Nelson
rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2009
Steven Montgomery
Mar 27, 2009
Ingo
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of my all-time favorites. Though the government tried to seal the story of John Birch's sacrificial life and death on foreign fields, author Robert Welch helped bring a lot of facts back into the public memory. I wish I could hear Brother John Birch preach. He was first and foremost a Baptist preacher and missionary. I would like to know from him how he went soul-winning in China.
This book is from 1954 and it really deserves an update. I drove to Macon, GA - where John Birch grew
Bryson
Jun 16, 2018
karen g price
is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2017
American businessman, political activist, and author.

Gifted as a child he enrolled in high school at the age of 10 & was admitted to university at the age of 12. He later enrolled & dropped out of Harvard Law School & the Naval Academy.

He later started his own Candy company that went out of business in the Great Depression of 1925.

In 1958 he cofounded the John Birch society. In 1960
More about Robert W. Welch Jr.