Start by marking “Withered + Sere (Immemorial Year, #1)” as Want to Read:
Withered + Sere (Immemorial Year, #1)

Withered + Sere (Immemorial Year #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  654 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews
Once upon a time, humanity could no longer contain the rage that swelled within, and the world ended in a wave of fire.

One hundred years later, in the wasteland formerly known as America, a broken man who goes only by the name of Cavalo survives. Purposefully cutting himself off from what remains of civilization, Cavalo resides in the crumbling ruins of the Northern Idaho
Published April 19th 2016 by DSP Publications

To ask other readers questions about Withered + Sere, please sign up.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Withered + Sere is possibly the most beautiful and profound book that T.J. Klune has even written. However, it is also incredibly heart-wrenching, violent, and bleak, and it might be a challenging story for some readers.

I'm a happy person who likes to live in a happy bubble. I don't watch the news and I avoid stories about sick children, tortured puppies, and loved ones dying of unspeakable illnesses. I am a worrier, and traumatic stories make me stay up all night sweating and crying.

This book
T.J.
Jan 10, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
Updated 4/18/16:

Second Illustration released, plus an interview with the illustrator, Blake Dorner, and TJ. There's also a give away!

photo Group Photo_zpsredjnlvy.png

Updated 4/13/16:

Withered + Sere will be published with 10 illustrations done by Blake Dorner.

Here's your first look!

photo LucasbehindCavalo_zpsprju1lxk.png

Updated 3/30/16:

Pre-orders are up!

DSP Publications: https://www.dsppublications.com/books...

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Withered-Sere-I...

Barnes & Noble: http://ww
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
One day. One day someone, and I don't know who, but someone will say enough. A line will be drawn, and there will come an hour that we will rise and say we've had enough. That we won't take the darkness any longer. That we will say no. That we will fight against those who would break us. We will fight back, and in this hour, we will have succeeded in what we have set out to do.

The inherent destructive and power hungry nature of man is what makes this story affecting and gloomy, but there will
Renée
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
My math and logic brain will never do this story justice with a review. The writing and themes were just too poignant and heart breaking, but I will attempt it.

This is a story unlike TJ has written before. It's harsh, gritty, soul-crushing. There is no happiness in this world he's built. But damn if it doesn't pull you in because you want to see just one GOOD think come out of this fucked-up world.

This is a post-apocalyptic story in its simplest description. But it's so much more. The setting br
Vivian
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ng, fr, dystopian
After the end of the world, everyone is certifiable.

Batshit crazy doesn't even begin to explain the mental processing of the major characters in this book.
"It has taken losing my mind to find my soul.”

Cavalo's internal dialogues, more than actually dialogue, with multiple parties is extensive. You ride along through extended psychotic breaks that relay backstory and characterize Cavalo as inherently unstable. Then again, no one is really fully functioning.
"We are nothing without the names w
Josy
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! That was certainly something else!

This is not your typical romance. In fact, this book reads like a nightmare you can't wake up from no matter how hard you try. Where you are trapped in a brutal, harsh, violent world and not succumbing to past and future pain is your only goal - barely surviving, certainly not living, but staying ahead of the ghosts that haunt you.

The world-building for this post-apocalyptic setting is incredible and the writing is different from what I am used to. I often
Karen
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered how the world will end?

It's a pretty bleak thought isn't it? and it's admittedly one that I try not to contemplate too often because seriously how much depression does one need in any given day? No matter how I look at it this is not a question that would or could ever produce a cheerful ending.

In 'Withered & Sere' TJ Klune does just that. He makes us look at what is left after the world has ended 'in a wave of fire'. It's not pretty or cheerful, but it is scarily
Xing
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read a book like this in a long time. Withered + Sere is a look into a bleak, post-apocalyptic world. The environment is doom and gloom and so are the people. And oddly enough, TJ is able to weave a story that contains a lot of depth – the sad, the happy, the funny, the hopeful. It’s not a book that feels forced to be gritty (as I’ve read in other dystopian books). It’s like creating the color black by using a combination of different colors mixed together as opposed to reaching for th ...more
Jenni Lea

Fricken fabulous!

*******************

Gah! Isn't this out yet???????????????????????

*sighs* I know, I know, I just need to be patient. I can do that.

*puts on waiting face*

Sandra
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I need to think on this a bit before I can write a review or decide on a star rating. Cliffhangers are a funny thing. Sometimes, they are a wonderful ending to a book that leaves you eager for book two and what it will bring. But sometimes... it just feel like your book got cut in half with a big middle finger on the last page. As the page numbers slowly dwindled I couldn't figure out how things would be wrapped up, but I kept reading and reading and reading because I wanted some closure. I want ...more
Natalia
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Amazing!
Kristen Burns
5 Stars

Full Review:
*I received a free ecopy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Quotes used in this review were from an ARC and may be different in the final book.*

WOW.

How do you even write a review for such an indescribable book???

It was just so different.

A unique, powerful kind of different.

This man, Cavalo, he kind of hears voices in his head that he refers as bees because they buzz at him and crawl under his skin. And sometimes he gets lost to his own demons and
Claire

Once in a while you read a book that captures your imagination, maybe you read and think wow this is amazing, maybe you read and you are outraged and angry. Perhaps you cry or even laugh and cry all at once. These are the books you come back to, books you remember years later, These are the books that compel you to write a review, create a special shelf for.

This isn't a review, I'm crap at them. If you read some of my previous attempts you'll know what I mean. Don't worry I'm not looking for aff
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
I received this book for free from in exchange for an honest review.
This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

So here's the thing, everyone knows I'm a TJ Klune fan. I love his work. How To Be A Normal Person has bumped itself up to my favorite book by him. I don't even know how that happened. Otter is still one of my favorite people in the world. He exists and I won't stop searching until I found him. When I saw the blurb and cover for this I was immediately hooke
FantasyLiving
29/4/2016
Still working out my thoughts for a full review, but the rating is decided. Definitely recommended for those who enjoy dystopian darkness with a dash of hope. And for anyone wanting to push their boundaries. Beautifully written.

To be continued......

22/4/2016

So I need to sit on this for a minute.....

Chris
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
Bloody hell in not sure where to start or where to go with this review ! I'm still trying to put all of the pieces together. This is one of the most intense dystopian reads with complex characters who give little to nothing away. I want to know more about Cavalo and where Lucas the Dead Rabbit fits. I love Bad Dog and SIRS - bless them for their loyalty ( well when their system is not overridden ! ) bizzare is my best adjective for now ... More to come in this series no doubt !
Milica
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was so good...and so dark. There were glimpses of light here and there, but author was quick to quench it before you can even start to hope. Honestly, I don't see this story ending in anything but a tragic way for our MC. But nevertheless, it's one of the best books I've read this year, and I can't wait to read a sequel...
Gina
OMG OMG OMG!!!! I have no words for how great this was! Gimme more!!
Christy
In the end, he never learned what it felt like to burn as he wasn’t even aware he had died when the blast hit him. His last thought was I hope I come back here to—and then he was gone. There was nothing left of him but his seven words. And they carried long after the whole of humanity became nothing more than a thing of the past in a future of chaos. God forgive us for what we’ve done.

It is wrong to assume that TJ Klune is only capable of making us laugh. That is very far from the truth. He has
Glitterbomb
Phwoar! This is DARK!

I don't even know how to describe this. It's insane, as in certifiable, lock them up and throw away the key insane!

It was awesome!

Looking forward to diving into book 2.

RTC
Cari Z.
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anybody ever read The Road? This reminds me of that in a lot of ways, except it's less bleak (this is saying something, given the content of Withered + Sere) and more entertaining (I'm not a terrible person, I'm not! I just love me some dystopia.).

Soooo looking forward to the sequel.
Ulysses Dietz
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Withered and Sere (Immemorial Year Book 1)
By T.J. Klune
Dreamspinner Press, April 2016
ASIN: B01DL351LU

327 pages
Five stars

Can a dog have a soul? Can a robot have a soul? Can a monster have a soul?
TJ Klune’s latest book (the first of a two-parter, set in a post-apocalyptic America) is a startling departure for our young master of the overwrought inner dialogue. It is unquestionably the tightest, most powerfully written book to come from his creative mind. It is horrifying, compelling, violent, pass
Aleksandra
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stunning and haunting.

Hands down this book is one of the best postapocalyptic novels I've read. The story-telling is breathtaking, the cast of characters consists of a dog(yay), a sentient malfunctioning AI (double yay), two very very dangerous grey-moral individuals (really scary and so interesting to read about).

TJ Klune is so incredibly talented and his books are all different genre and stories. He nailed the Mad-Max-esque world in this one, the atmosphere was exceptionally well-crafted. The
LectoraEstherica
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgtb
3.5 estrellitas

Andaba buscando (desde hace 2 mese ya) un libro con romance que me atrapara y habré abandonado ya como 7.
Tenía este desde algún tiempo, pero no quería leer más de Klune este año (este es el 5º), hasta que me dije "deja de tocarme los ovarios, Esther, y léete el maldito libro".

Aquí está el comienzo de algo, no me atrevo a decir qué porque no sé si será amor, desesperación, compañía o... locura. (No, es amor, 99-98% segura):
en un mundo postapocalíptico, lleno de radiación nuclea
Amanda
"Insanity is such an insane thing, is it not?"

Wow.... Amazing!
Jason
5 Stars
A month ago I was not familiar with this author. A GR friend recommended to me another title by T.J. Klune. Reading that one was one of those epiphany moments where you just fall in love with a book/writing style.

So when this one hit my radar a couple of weeks before its release, I couldn't wait for it to become available. "Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, gimmie!" I've always loved reading dystopian stories, and I had very high expectations for this title. I was not disappointed.

The setting takes place
justanya
Tj Klune, has a wicked brilliant sense of humor. He excels at expressing it and writing it. So when Tj, announced his next book would be dark and heavy I admit, I was skeptical. After all, I couldn’t imagine Tj... C’mon Tj?! The man who gave us Bear and Gary, yeah that Tj, pulling off a dark, dystopian novel. He stated he would make us feel suffering, loss, despair and hope. He said we would cry…. Wookie face cry. When I read those words, I was like… nah, not your niche. Again, I didn’t think he ...more
Valen
The only other book by Klune that I've read is Bear, Otter and the Kid which I actively hate, so when I read the preview of this book and ended up loving it, I took a leap of faith and purchased the kindle version and boy oh boy, is this book amazing!

Seriously, Withered + Sere is so beautiful and haunting and dark and fucked, with nice sexual tension without there ever being a sex scene (though there is kissing and cutting and fighting, between our two male love interests).

It is so brilliant.
Diana
Jul 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
Judging by the summary (end of the world brought on by humans, sole survivor fighting for a new change with a dog companion and a deluded robot) and the good reviews I thought I would like it. But no. Have you ever had the feeling that a book "talks" so much? That so much words not needed end up making noise and you can follow the song? This is what happened to me with this book. I don't know how many pages following a dying doe... lots of pages deciding what to do with someone who wanted to kil ...more
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
Beautifully Horrible.

TJ Klune is known for writing funny and witty romances. This is not one of them.

Here he plums the darkest psyche of a man trying to survive after the world burned.

This book is beautiful and dark and twisted but written honestly.

There are better reviews written than I can ever produce so I suggest you read them before deciding if you are brave enough to venture here.

Just know that I believe it is beautiful. That I believe it is honest. That I believe TJ Klune needed to w
The Backlot Gay B...: TJ Klune's "Withered and Sere." 5 15 May 28, 2016 09:32AM
M/M and Queer Rom...: Buddy Read: Withered + Sere 34 19 Apr 23, 2016 09:20PM
  • The Arroyo
  • What Remains
  • Ten Simple Tips for Surviving the Apocalypse
  • Lacuna (Lacuna Chronicles, #1)
  • When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1)
  • The Suicide King Volume 2 (Fallocaust, #3.5)
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Love, #1)
  • The Flesh Cartel #16: To the Victor
  • Heavy Hitters (Caribbean Tales, #2)
  • Meatworks
  • Love Can't Conquer (Love Can't Series, #1)
  • Stones in the Road (Sugar Tree #2)
  • King of Dublin
  • Selfie (Bluewater Bay, #13)
  • Piper
  • All Note Long (Perfect Harmony, #3)
  • Strain (Strain, #1)
  • Who Knows the Storm (The Vigilante #1)
When TJ Klune was eight, he picked up a pen and paper and began to write his first story (which turned out to be his own sweeping epic version of the video game Super Metroid—he didn’t think the game ended very well and wanted to offer his own take on it. He never heard back from the video game company, much to his chagrin). Now, over two decades later, the cast of characters in his head have only ...more
More about T.J. Klune

Immemorial Year (2 books)
  • Crisped + Sere (Immemorial Year, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Patrick will bow before the Forefathers. The Dead Rabbits will belong to them. This world, this… chaos. It is coming to an end.” 1 likes
“I asked you your name again."
"Cavalo."
"That's it?" Warren had said then and he said now.
"It's all I have."
"You have more."
"No," Cavalo said. "There's nothing left.”
0 likes