Start by marking “Transcendent” as Want to Read:
Transcendent

Transcendent

What would you do if the world was crumbling to piecesand everyone believed you were the only person who could put it back together?

Terrorists have just bombed Disney World. A thousand miles away, a stranger shows up on Iris Speros stoop in Brooklyn. He brings with him a shocking secret about Iriss birth, throwing her entire identity into question.

Suddenly, the press is
Published October 4th 2016 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Transcendent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transcendent

Start your review of Transcendent
Drew
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
I hugely admire Ms. Detweiler as an author for coming up with and tackling difficult plots. That's partly the reason I was such a huge fan of her first book, Immaculate, about a teenage girl who is a virgin and pregnant.

Transcendent had another heavy plot - it begins with the bombing of Disney World and news reports about terrorists called "the Judges" killing so many innocent people. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to write about children being killed in bombings and it greatly
Briar's Reviews
Transcentdent by Katelyn Detweiler is a unique YA novel.

To start this review off, I have to admit that this book was definitely not for me. I did not enjoy this book even though I typically love YA novels. I dig the whole "only, special person" trope and love peeking into dystopian worlds. Unfortunately, this book just didn't hit me the right way. Katelyn had an absolutely stunning tone and writing style and I'm sure many other readers will enjoy this book.

This book has an interesting plot: A
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Oct 03, 2016 marked it as books-i-gave-up-on
Shelves: ya, first-to-read, 2016
DNF @ page 130

This book is not for me. I don't know what I thought it was going to be but this is definitely not it. I am 130 pages into the book and nothing has happened expect for discussion regarding the unbelievable story of Iris's birth. I just can't make myself want to pick this one up again.
Jen Ryland
I remember reading about Immaculate, this author's debut book. As soon as I began reading Transcendent I wondered if it might be a sequel to that book, which was about a high school student who finds herself pregnant by immaculate conception.

Yes, it is. Transcendent follows Iris, that immaculately conceived baby. Iris has grown up in a seemingly normal Brooklyn family, with two parents and a younger brother. But after a terrible tragedy strikes, Iris is shocked to learn about the strange
Max Baker
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-reviewed
Immaculate was one of my favorite books of 2015 and one that I thought stood pretty well on its own, but when I realized there was a sequel days before it was scheduled to publish, I knew I needed to read it. While not necessarily a sequel or spin-off of Immaculate it does contain a few of the characters from Immaculate but you don't need to read that book to understand this one.

However, I will be reviewing this book, as well as Immaculate in a more...analytical sense because there's a lot in
Jenn
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How would you react to finding out you were born to help cure the world? And how would the world react? TRANSCENDENT stays grounded in the totally plausible here and now, an ordinary teen grappling with the fact that the circumstances of her birth have made her extraordinary, with a backdrop of tragedy that packs a huge punch. Lovely and lyrical and frighteningly believable. This book will stay with me for a good long time.
Amy
Oct 12, 2016 marked it as dnf
I tried so hard to read this, but I just can't keep going. I had so many issues with this book that I'm not sure I can summarize them all. The first, and hardest to get around, is the writing style. The writing was so heavy-handed and overdone it was hard to get through one page without rolling my eyes, and the dialogue was even more ridiculous. As a person very close in age to the main character of this book, I feel comfortable saying that no teenager talks like Iris does. I have never met a ...more
Kimberly
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this as part of the First to Read! program with Penguin Random House.

This book surprised me after I was a few chapters in and started realizing what the subject matter was focused on. From the book description, I was expecting another young adult dystopian leader and it was far from that. The settings are places everyone recognizes: Disney World and New York City. A group of people called The Judges, bomb the happiest place on Earth. They leave behind many victims. Those that are
Ashley
Oct 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
I want to preface this review with two things. First, I received this book in exchange for a fair review through Penguin's First To Read program. Second, I did not finish this book. I couldn't...it just wasn't very good. But it's my policy to read more than half of a book before I review it, so take that for what it's worth.

To be perfectly blunt: I didn't like this book. In the most damning of faint praise, I thought the premise had promise but the execution fell very, very short.

Some
i fall in love book blog
3.5 Stars

This book is extremely hard to review. It's definitely not what I expected when I started reading it, and that affected my feelings on it somewhat. This book shouldn't be marketed as fantasy, because hearing that its a fantasy and then reading the blurb creates certain expectations as to how this book will play out. I do think it is a good book, but I also feel hoodwinked. If I had known what the book was really about then I probably wouldn't have requested/read it. This reads more like
Holly
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: it-was-just-okay
So, the writing was easy to fall into, but the problem is that I just found this story ridiculous. I just dont believe that main character is this fucking special. I could not understand what was so brilliant about her character that separated her from everyone in the world, that stuck her on a pedestal and made everything about the bombing at Disney World better for some of those affected by it. Also, she spent the first 250 pages HIDING from life because she needed time to accept this. Like I ...more
Naiya
Aug 25, 2016 added it
I got this book through Penguin's First to Read program. This is a what-if story. Teenage Iris discovers that she might be divinely chosen to save the world. And knowing that, the book explores the choices Iris makes and how her friends and family support her as she makes her way in the newly chaotic and unfamiliar world full of desperate people hungry for salvation.

Iris is definitely something special, but even with a few mystical happenings here and there, the story is careful to keep the
adaynasmile
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I got a preview of this book through firsttoread.com.

Transcendent explores the life of a teenage girl who is caught between the desire to be normal and the desire to help the world around her.

Iris lives in a world in which Disneyworld has been bombed. Hope is in short supply as families were torn apart and children are hospitalized with serious injuries from the explosion.

One day a strange man shows up at Iris' house and turns her world upside down. Iris learns the truth of her birth and is
Maddie Tiare

Immaculate was one of my favorite books of 2015. As soon as I finished it, I wanted more from Katelyn Detweiler. So, naturally, when Transcendent was announced, I was beyond excited.

Unfortunately, not every one of any author's books can be every reader's favorite.

Transcendent didn't live up to my expectations. They were quite high, I admit, so I suppose it may have been impossible for Transcendent to meet them. But still, I feel compelled to say how and why I feel like the book let me
Marla
I thought this story was okay. From the description, I thought it was going to be placed in the magical, supernatural genre but nope, didn't happen, which to me was disappointing. Iris isn't a bad character and I liked Zane and Zoey, but I didn't feel like the characters had too much depth in them. I didn't care for the characters. The "magical" part fell flat. I did like the way the author showed a little of how people react if there is a modern "virgin" birth and if that baby is from God. It ...more
Kelly Gunderman
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

I was incredibly excited for this book, despite not having read Immaculate before wanting to read this one. However, I did pick up Immaculate and read it before I read this one, because I was looking forward to reading the first book that Katelyn Detweiler wrote. While I though Immaculate was a good read, I also really liked this book, and I believe that the writing in Transcendent was a lot better than in
Wendy
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Giveaways
Magical but terrifyingly real "Transcendent" which I won through Goodreads Giveaways opens with the bombing of Disney World that killed thousands and left survivors wounded in body and spirit. Seventeen year old Iris Spero like the nation is horrified by the tragedy until a stranger shows up on her doorstep pleading for her mother's miracle child to cure his dying daughter. In a momentous twist of fate Iris's quiet, comfortable life is turned upside down when she learns the truth about her birth ...more
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I received an advance copy through Penquin's First to Read. I'll have my review shortly.

Full review here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

I received a copy of this eARc through Penquins First to Read program. Im very thankful for the opportunity to read and review. This will be a short review as I did not enjoy this story as much as I wanted to.

This is the story of Iris, a teenager who discovers that she may be the one divinely chosen to save the world. All of this comes to light after
S.E. Anderson
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is one of the rare books that starts strong but just fizzles as things go along.

After an awful terrorist attack that shakes the world, people are looking for a miracle. Iris never lost anyone that day, and feels survivor's guilt like many of the rest of New York city. But when a man who used to know her mom shows up at her house one day, claiming that Iris can heal his daughter - and if she doesn't, he'll tell everyone she's he second coming of Jesus - Iris's life is thrown upside down.

I so
Thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for a free copy of Transcendent!

Oh boy, this book messed me up. In a thought-provoking way. In a good way, I think. In a makes-reviewing-and-rating-difficult kind of way.

Let's get this out there first: I'm an agnostic, and a deconverted one at that, so preachy books tend to get my back up. As I got into this book and realized what it was about, I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

But this book doesn't get preachy. For a book that's about the
Maryanne
Sep 29, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf
Got this book free from FirstToRead.com

I got about 25% through this book and still felt like I didn't understand why the book was happening. The characters were dull and I just didn't care about them so I gave up.
Jerricka Habib
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was given an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

This isn't what I expected it to be but I liked it. Sometimes you get tired of dystopian settings with the one true savior to put everything right. I'm happy this book was more realistic. I do think it was a tad bit long.
Laureen (Ms. Bibliophile)
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Despite some serious religious overtones, I enjoyed this book. I started it at lunchtime, then finished it off after I got home. It was a definite page turner.
Kelsey Prince
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Detweiler's first book amazed me in ways I still can't explain. Her debut book, "Immaculate" was beautiful & that's putting it in simple terms. So when I heard that she was publishing a second book I was more than excited to read it, but I quickly found out that it didn't live up to my imagination.

I honestly can't pin point exactly why I didn't love this book, but I have at least narrowed it down to a few points:

***SPOILERS AHEAD***
1. The relationship between Zane and Iris was forced. I
Marcilia
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Solid 3.5 Stars...

Transcendent is a story about belief. Iris is the 17yr old daughter of Mina (who immaculately conceives Iris, but no one believes Minas story). The premise of the story takes place a month after a bombing occurs at Disney World. Like everyone else around her, Iris is trying to sort out her feelings regarding these traumatic events. One day a stranger comes to her door and pleads for her mothers miracle child to cure his dying daughter. Now all of a sudden Iriss normal life is
grieshaber.reads
Actual rating: 2.5. I didnt read the description of this book before I started reading it so I had no idea what it was about. At first, I was hopeful. SUCH a gripping opening: the Magic Kingdom was bombed by terrorists on a high-capacity crowd day. Over ten thousand were killed, most of whom were children. The world is now a very different place. I imagined it like the United States after 9/11 except on a much, much grander and more horrible scale. Talented, intelligent, friend of all (including ...more
Flavie
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book via Goodreads's Giveaways.

This book is the sequel of the last book I read, Immaculate, by Katelyn Detweiler. In this second book, the main character is the daughter of Mina, the girl we followed in the first one. In this novel, the story is about Iris, a seventeen year old girl born from an immaculate conception.
She was living a normal life until the day her mother tells her the secret about her birth, after a tragedy occurred at Disney
Jeninne
May 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is a big book. It's bulky, it's long, and in YA terms, it's longer than typical. I say this so it's absolutely clear how blown my mind is that literally nothing happened in this book.

Literally. Nothing.

The author makes a case that this is a book about some girl who finds out she's the second coming via her mother's virginal pregnancy, and she's meant to ... well, I mean, that's never really clear. Heal people? Unite people? Beg people to stop blowing up Disneyworld?

What this book is, is
Trimble
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
For full content review go to http://www.compassbookratings.com/rev...

Just when everyone thinks terrorism in the U.S. can't get worse, the unthinkable happens: a bombing at Disney World. So many lives are shattered and many think all hope is lost but a glimmer is found once Iris is discovered. Initially Iris seems to just be an average girl with little influence beyond her small group of friends and family. Against her wishes she becomes famous (many think she's going to save the world), and
Bryanna Leigh
Aug 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish, arc
I received this book through First to Read.

I'm about maybe three or four chapters into this story, and I cannot bring myself to finish it. Maybe the summary doesn't translate too well to the story, or perhaps this is just not a story for me. It's bland. Maybe it gets better, but I don't find myself trying to pick up this book again and trying to finish it. Iris's character is far too good. Almost to the point where she's a "Mary Sue".

From what I was able to get through, there was some

• Bad Girl Gone
  • The Twisted Ones
  • East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise
  • Bite Marks: A Vampire Testament
  • Lord Edgware Dies: A Hercule Poirot Mystery
  • Black Dawn (Night World, #8)
  • Twisted
  • Alone: The Search for Brett Archibald
  • Doctor Who: The Book of Whoniversal Records
  • Goldfish (Girl out of Water, #1)
  • Enter Title Here
  • The Magic of Marie Laveau: Embracing the Spiritual Legacy of the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans
  • Skin Deep (Harry Hendrick, #1)
  • The Tourist
Katelyn Detweiler was born and raised in Pennsylvania, living in a centuries-old farmhouse surrounded by fields and woodsa setting that fueled her childhood imagination and, many years later, inspired her YA debut, Immaculate. Katelyn is a writer by night (and weekend) and a literary agent by day, representing books for all ages and across all genres. She currently lives, works, and writes in ...more