Start by marking “Masking for Trouble (Costume Shop Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Masking for Trouble (Costume Shop Mystery, #2)

Masking for Trouble

(Costume Shop Mystery #2)

Halloween brings more tricks than treats for costume shop owner Margo Tamblyn in the second in a new cozy series from the national bestselling author of the Material Witness Mysteries.

Halloween conjures up big business for Margo Tamblyn’s costume shop, Disguise DeLimit, but this year, the holiday comes knocking with serious trouble. Venture capitalist Paul Haverford plans to re/>
Published October 4th 2016 by Berkley (first published October 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Masking for Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masking for Trouble

Start your review of Masking for Trouble (Costume Shop Mystery, #2)
Book of Secrets°ღ
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm jumping into the Costume Shop Mystery series here at book two. What's the best time of year for someone in the costume business? Halloween, of course!

Actually, Halloween is not only a big deal for Margo at Disguise DeLimit, it's a major social event for the whole town. Unfortunately, this year a greedy venture capitalist has ripped through town threatening small businesses, including Margo's. Things continue to go south for Margo when she finds the man dead at his own Halloween gala, an
LORI CASWELL
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Halloween in Proper City, Nevada is a huge deal. It is a week long event all leading up to a big party. This year Proper City has its own version of the Grim Reaper. Paul Haverford has come to town and has been buying up land, homes and businesses all to put his grand plan in motion to kill all of the downtown shops. He wants everything rezoned so he can bring in chain stories, restaurants and gambling. Something the founder of the town and most of the current resi
Tari
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun Halloween book. Margo lives life like Halloween every day by wearing an unusual outfit to work at her costume shop. At Halloween, the whole town of Proper City went all out. I was cracking up at Ebony who was beyond spooked at having to find a new venue for the big Halloween party. Margo and Tak's complicated relationship got a little more complicated when a friend of his rode into the picture and became interested in Margo.

Just picturing Kirby and his whole swim team wearing gro
Carole Jarvis
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2djHkGa

Masking for Trouble by Diane Vallere is a great cozy mystery and I enjoyed it very much. Characters are likeable and interesting, making me want to come back to them. Family, friendships and community play a big part. The writing flows easily and the mystery storyline is well plotted. Although the story is centered around Halloween, I was delighted that there were no supernatural or witchcraft elements; the focus is totally on costumes and parties.

Maskin
Mark Baker
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, mystery
In a town that loves costume parties, Halloween is a huge deal, which means things are very busy for Margo Tamblyn in her family’s costume shop, Disguise DeLimit. However, this year things are looking grim thanks to Paul Haverford, who has grand designs for the city, plans that include closing down small shops like Disguise DeLimit. However, when Margo finds Paul’s body at the opening party, she finds herself as the prime suspect. Can she find the killer and clear her name?

I loved th
Lola
As it is almost Halloween I decided this was the perfect moment to finally read Masking for Trouble. Masking for Trouble is the second book in the Costume Shop Mystery series and it takes place around Halloween. I really enjoyed the first book in this series and while this was a great sequel, in my opinion book 1 was better.

What I enjoyed about this book was the focus on the costumes, the costume shop and the Halloween feel. The author really focuses on the costume thing and with the
Kimberly
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 75-books-in-2017
I had not read any of the previous books in this series so this was a stand alone for me and it did just fine that way. The author gave enough info here and there to help understand anything you were unclear about in previous books.
Very well thought out book. Loved the Halloween theme which is why I bought the book to begin with. I would deff read more in the series.
Likable characters(though the main character does something in this book that is highly improbable and ridiculous) Grea
Sapphyria
From My Review of Book 1, A Disguise to Die For ~~

On the edge of Las Vegas sits the small town of Proper, Nevada. A sleepy little town, Proper doesn't have much to pull in tourists. In the heart of the town sits Disguise DeLimit Costume Shop, made famous when the residents decided that costume parties were the way to go.

Review of Book 2, Masking for Trouble ~~

For a costume shop and a small town that thrives on costume parties, Halloween is THE social event. As the town prepares a w
Rage
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of this book. The main character was quirky in an interesting way, as were all of her friends (some of the side characters are really delightful). there are lots of Halloween details, which is awesome, because a lot of cozies will just briefly touch on Halloween and then it's like, what's the point. but in this one, there are parties, costumes, decorating etc.

In the last third of the book, there were a lot of issues with a lack of communication (ex/between Margo a
Katreader
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
MASKING FOR TROUBLE by Diane Vallere
The Second Costume Shop Mystery

It's closing in on Halloween in Proper City and Margo Tamblyn is in charge of Disguise De-Limit, the family costume shop, while her dad is living his dream of traveling the country looking for unique costumes. A nasty surprise comes in the form of newcomer Paul Haverford who is planning to buy up the town and turn it into a cookie cutter conglomerate of strip malls and box stores. His first step is blocking any
Once Upon a Romance Reviews

Reviewed by Wendy
Sexual Content: None
Language (Profanity/Slang) Content: None
Violent Content: Minimal

Masking for Trouble is the second book in the “Costume Shop” Mystery Series by Diane Vallere.

Margo Tamblyn runs a costume shop business known as Disguise DeLimit. While getting ready for Halloween and her shops busiest time of year, Margo gets an unwelcome visit from Paul Haverford, a man determined to turn Halloween and the town into a bigger, glitzier affair As luck would have it, Margo/>Masking
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in this series so I knew I would like this one! What is not to love about a Halloween themed cozy mystery set in a costume shop! :)

Margo is still getting used to running the costume shop on her own now that her dad has decided to travel around looking for cool things to bring back to the shop. She wants him to be proud of her so she doesn't want anything to go wrong. Of course, it does and in spades.

Halloween is very popular and taken very
Nina
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really cute story idea, Disguise DeLimit, a costume shop. Funny laugh out loud entertaining read, loved the characters and the setting the author Diane Vallere created in this cozy mystery.
Kathryn

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kayt

Synopsis:

Bree
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love how Diane Vallere writes, there is wit, humor and a great thrill in each book. I felt that reading Masking for Trouble, was like revisiting an old friend and helping her keep the town in one piece. I truly, though was eager to read this book and have had my mourning time of finishing it.

I think that readers will find this book to hit home for the Halloween season. And I hope you find yourselves in a the thick of this new investigation, and hopefully help Margo clear her name!<
Silvara Wilde
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Check out my other reviews, discussions and link ups at Fantasy of the Silver Dragon.

I received this book for free from Berkley Prime Crime in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I really liked Tak in the first book. But for a lot of this one I wanted to smack him. His and Margo's relationship was a fairly big plot point in the book, and all of it seemed like it was heading towards bad news. I guess it was fairly re
Brooke Banks
The Good
+Liked Margo, her pathology
+Positive therapy rep
+Didn’t see the culprit or ending coming
+Liked the details & intricacies of the relationships, town,
+Unique protag and setting There is a loose end...
+Plan to continue the series

The Bad & The Other
=Lots of em dashes mid-sentence to clarify who Margo was talking about, e.g., “I waited until she left—the waitress, not Bobbie—before resuming the conversation.”
-Info dumps sprinkled throughout for details on
Karen B.
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
started during Dewey 24 hour Readathon
I recently read the first book in this series and liked it so much that I knew I wanted to read the next in the series. What a better season to set a mystery in the costume shop than on Halloween! Once again the author gives us a good list of suspects that kept me guessing throughout and it turned out ... well I can't give away a spoiler but the author kept me guessing right to the end. Of course Margo gets herself in dangerous situations, not once, b
Halloween is the second most loved holiday in the US for decorations but the TOP holiday for costumes. What better place to celebrate than in a small town where people dress up for all occasions. Can Margo really go home again? She's trying to take care of her father's costume shop at the busiest time of the year and trying to figure out her own life. When she finds out someone wants her to fail, perhaps at both, she has to get her act together.
Author Diane Vallere keeps us guessing, not o
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I am so loving this series! This is only the 2nd book but I hope there are many more to come. I love the costume shop and that Margo dresses in costumes every day. Just adds a quirky flair to the story line, but that is something the author is good at as I have seen this in her other books.

The mystery itself threw me for a loop and my jaw dropped when the killer was revealed. Totally did not see that one coming. I don't even think I had a clue as to who to even suspect.

Ma
Erika
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy, netgalley
I think it would be great to live in a town that loves costume parties and Halloween this much! Margo is such a quirky character – whether she is working in her family’s costume shop or just running errands, she’s always in costume. When a business man interested in developing the small town into something more modern and profitable threatens to run Margo’s shop out of business, she is understandably angry. When she finds his dead body at a Halloween party she wasn’t invited to, she becomes the ...more
Charlie
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Glad I won this free book from Goodreads.com.
This is a young adult book (that's not me anymore) that caught my interest from the beginning to the end. A murder mystery that keeps you guessing all the way thru the story with multiple suspects. AND that's how the story goes. Is it her - the story-teller - is it him or the other guy - is it the cop - is it the boyfriend and there you have it.
The story revolves around the murder at a Halloween party that just happened and the next Halloween party
Karen
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read Masking for Trouble by Diane Vallere, this is the second book in her A Costume Shop Mystery series and it was a very fun Halloween Read. I love the idea of a town that goes all out for Halloween, I think I could find myself quite welcome and comfortable there. Costume shop owners daughter/ general manager Margo has her hands full the week before Halloween when a large corporation threatens the daily life of not only her shop at her busiest time of year but also the way of life in Proper C ...more
Jane Reads
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Masking for Trouble is the second book in the Costume Shop Mysteries starring Margo Tamblyn, and takes place about six months after the action of Book #1, A Disguise to Die For (my review here). Masking for Trouble can be read as a standalone, because Author Diane Vallere adds enough backstory from A Disguise to Die For so that readers new to the series can keep up.

The costume shop mentioned above is Disguise deLimit, the family shop of Margo and her father Jerry, located in Proper City, Nevada. Proper City was founded
Valerie
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

In the little town of Proper City, Nevada, Margo Tamblyn is taking over her family’s costume shop, Disguise DeLimit. In this second installment of the series this story takes place the week of Halloween. The busiest season for the shop. After her father’s 2 heart attacks brought Margo back to town. learning to live and work together has taken on a different atmosphere. Jerry more carefree and Margo more focused. Reversing their roles.
Enter Paul Haverford, Venture capitalist, who plans to r
Christine Lowe
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who Killed Paul Haverford?

I know I can always count on Diane Vallere for an intriguing mystery. Masking for Trouble is a delightful book whose characters are starting to feel like my friends. Proper City, Nevada is between Las Vegas and the California border. It's one of those towns where small businesses flourish and everybody knows almost everybody else. After several years in Vegas, Margo returned home after her Dad had a heart attack. She missed home and wanted to help her Dad with the family
Knight
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book, the second in the Costume Shop Mystery series. Quirky premise: costume shop, woman who dresses in costumes all the time, and town that loves costume parties. Characters are enjoyable. There were a few scenes where Margo was did something stupid and I just cringed that the author couldn't come up with better solutions. But the book ended well, (view spoiler) ...more
Elaine
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this series. Margo is certainly a unique character. She grew up in a costume shop so she thinks nothing of dressing in costume every day. Halloween is a very busy time for her shop but she gets help from the swim team. The costume ideas for the team are pretty interesting. Of course, clearing her name after finding a body of someone she was seen arguing with is the real story here. Detective Nichols is all too eager to find Margo guilty. So Margo has her work cut out for her. I de ...more
Amy
A boiler plate cozy mystery set in a fictional Nevada town and narrated by a women who sounds like a teenager at best and who dresses in costumes every day, as she learned to growing up in her father's costume shop, which she now runs.

Even for the genre, the premise of both the town and the story are hard to get into, but ok describes it completely. Yes, I guessed the murderer early on, and no, I don't want to read another one, but it was slightly entertaining for the day it took to
« previous 1 3 next »

• Assault and Buttery (A Popcorn Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Death in Dark Blue (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #2)
  • Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery #1)
  • Leave No Scone Unturned (Chef-to-Go Mystery #2)
  • Dead and Breakfast (Merry Ghost Inn, #1)
  • Cheddar Off Dead (Undercover Dish Mystery #2)
  • Toxic Toffee (Amish Candy Shop Mystery #4)
  • Pop Goes the Murder (Popcorn Shop Mystery #2)
  • Hark the Herald Angels Slay (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #3)
  • Pudding Up With Murder
  • Forever Fudge
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • All Fudged Up (Candy-Coated, #1)
  • To Fudge or Not to Fudge  (Candy-Coated, #2)
  • This Old Homicide (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #2)
  • A Dark and Twisting Path (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #3)
  • Oh, Fudge! (Candy-Coated, #5)
  • The Big Chili (Undercover Dish Mystery #1)
I grew up reading both Trixie Belden mysteries and Vogue magazine and learned how to spot a counterfeiting ring and accessorize a wardrobe. Now I use that knowledge to dream up plots for the humorous mysteries I write. I still love accessories, only now some of them are accessories to murder.

Costume Shop Mystery (3 books)
  • A Disguise to Die For (Costume Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Dressed to Confess (Costume Shop Mystery, #3)