Start by marking “The Distance from Me to You” as Want to Read:
The Distance from Me to You

The Distance from Me to You

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  1,904 Ratings  ·  392 Reviews
Cheryl Strayed's Wild  meets Endless Love in this multilayered story of love, survival, and self-discovery

McKenna Berney is a lucky girl. She has a loving family and has been accepted to college for the fall. But McKenna has a different goal in mind: much to the chagrin of her parents, she defers her college acceptance to hike the Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia w
Published October 4th 2016 by Speak (first published October 20th 2015)

Whitney Atkinson
So my phone AND laptop broke (i'm currently writing this from my website design class...) therefore I was able to finish this book all in one day due to my boredom. And I enjoyed it! It delivered exactly what I was anticipating: both a cutesie and interesting read about a girl and a guy hiking together. I'm not a hiker so I can't judge if this was accurate or not as far as camping procedures, but I was definitely hooked onto the action and I absolutely loved that this book was set in the wildern ...more
Odette Knappers
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inbezit, 2016
I noticed I'd rated this book 4* and I was like, why? I've read my review again and I was like, way? XD I love this book so much and I recommend it to a lot of people so I've changed my rating to 5* because that suits my feelings about this book better.

What a beautiful coming of age story! I like the girlpower, the doing something by yourself because you want to, no matter what other people may think about it. It is very confronting because you instantly think the same - should she go on that tr
E.
Hartjes! hartjes, hartjes, hartjes. Wat een heldin. Wat een verhaal. Wat een avontuur, een doorzettingsvermogen, een inspiratie.
✍Neyla Kunta ✍
1,5* for the message of the book. I FKN MADE IT AND I AM SO DONE AND PLEASED THAT I FINISHED IT. Although life is too short to finish books you don't like. And I was so bored. And I don't know when I will write a review. I am just so done and actually didn't enjoyed this book in any way.
Maureen
This was cute and alright but not my favorite contemporary, mostly because it ended with the characters making STUPID MISTAKES.
I feel like the main character grew but at the same time, she didn’t. Like I was TOLD how she grew but didn’t feel a ton of that from her actual character arc.
The romance was cute and this was a really interesting backdrop for a story (hiking the Appalachian trail?) but it definitely didn’t make me want to do that. 😂
All in all an alright but forgettable contemporary
Vanessa
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*sigh* I was really looking forward to a strong powerful girl going on an adventure and having an adventure-romance, but instead I got two dummies being dumb in the woods. The love interest was certifiably pitiful and I know that was kind of the point but holy smokes, girlfriend just wanted to go on a hike and then somehow ends up in charge of fixing all this guy's problems instead, and that's not my idea of an adventure. Sorry :(.
*also the main character talks mad shit about a boy because he as
Anne
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks

Dit boek was echt veel beter dan ik had verwacht. Ik vond het verhaal erg sterk en een stuk diepgaander dan de gemiddelde YA-contemporary!
Vivian
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 sterren. Mooi verhaal, goed geschreven en vooral boeiende thema's, leuk avontuurlijk sfeertje ook. Jammer genoeg soms een beetje te langdradig en niet zo levendig uitgewerkt als ik had gehoopt. Uitgebreide recensie: http://thebookreview.nl/recensies/con...
Jen
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars

I’m not the biggest hiker. I went hiking for the first time ever this past summer, so you could say that I’m a beginner. When I found out that The Distance from Me to You is about an 18 year-old girl who attempts thru hiking through the Appalachian Trail, I was really intrigued. However, the romance fell flat for me and the characters’ choices made my eyes roll in annoyance.

INSTA-LOVE YAY!

There are primarily two characters in The Distance from Me to You because it’s a story about a hike,
Alexa
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Not your typical YA contemporary and involves a strong female protagonist.

Full review: http://alexatalksbooks.blogspot.ca/20...
Jentry
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can tell I'm turning into an actual adult because the whole time I was reading this book all I could think about was how irresponsible and stupid McKenna was being. And all for a stupid boy.
Alja Katuin
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WAAROM?! Aah het einde!
Lotte
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek is zo leuk! Dat komt allereerst door de toffe hoofdpersoon. McKenna (dat is haar voornaam) is een meisje dat precies weet wat ze wil, niet zeurt en (bijna) nooit bang is. Je bent best wel kick-ass als je in je eentje 3.500 kilometer gaat lopen, vind ik. Daarbij lukt het Marina Gessner om de wandeltocht zo te beschrijven dat je er - ondanks alle blaren, spierpijn en vies eten - zelf heel erg zin in krijgt. De supermooie natuur, de geluiden (of de stilte) - je voelt bijna zelf het enthous ...more
Indah
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come
Nelline
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wie gaat er mee de AT lopen?
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Actual rating: 3.5
Eva Wildeman
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mijn-boekenkast
Ongelofelijk wat een boek, en wat krijg je zelf een zin om een lange tocht te maken. Prachtig.
Jen (Pop! Goes The Reader)
Did you find this review helpful? Find more of my reviews at Pop! Goes The Reader!

Of course Courtney didn’t think she should do it alone – nobody would. But the images were already forming in McKenna’s mind: all those miles of fabulous solitude, her body getting stronger, her mind growing wider. In preparation for this hike she’d read a mountain of books – wilderness guides, memoirs, novels. One of her favourites was by a woman who’d hiked the Pacific Crest Trail alone without even a debit card,
Rowan
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ge-wel-dig inspirerend boek! Zoals op de achterkant staat: als je dit boek uit hebt wil je niets liever dan net als McKenna 3500 kilometer gaan lopen. Ik heb elke letter met zoveel plezier gelezen en wil echt vaker dit soort boeken lezen!!
Emily
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waarom ik zo lang heb gewacht met het lezen van dit boek, is mij een raadsel. Wat een prachtverhaal! En eindelijk eens een verstandige hoofdpersoon als het gaat om relaties...
Hailey
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nerys
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-dutch
4,5 stars
IT WAS REALLY ENJOYABLE! I think this book is a way too underhyped. It's a contemporary, which isn't my favourite genre, but it is a cute book. It brought me out of my reading slump, thank God! It also has strong feminism in it and some really good life lessons.
If you love contemporary or just need a good book (like I did), go read it!

It actually isn't that original. McKenna is about to hike the Appalan Trial, when her best friend cancels it. She decides to go alone, but she doesn't tel
Jaime Arkin
This just wasn't for me. I struggled to get into the story and it was really slow going. I decided not to continue after 32%. womp womp.

Though please note that others have enjoyed this - give it a try if a slower moving story is your thing.
Katja
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastisch boek!
Jessica
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Toevallig las ik dit boek nadat ik Wild van Cheryl Strayed las zonder te weten dat deze twee boeken een gemeenschappelijk thema hebben. Toch was ik meer fan van Wild.
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 10/11/15: 3.75 stars
Whew, finally finished! I don't know why that took me so long.
Anyway! THE DISTANCE FROM ME TO YOU was... good. It never really captured me but I also was never really actively turned off though there were teases of both where I thought I could really get into it or I thought I was going to be turned off by something. I've always loved camping and since I met my now-husband, we actually do a lot more and even remote/primitive camping. I've read a few books
Nadia
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not My cup of tea. Kom er niet doorheen en begin een Reading slump te krijgen dus ik kap ermee😞
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted on Mostly YA Lit:
Review:
The Distance From Me To You is a book for people who like no-nonsense writing and fast pacing. It’s a straightforward look at stubborn, independent McKenna, a 17-year old who decides to hike the entire Appalachian Trail after high school. Without her parents knowing, McKenna decides to go it alone after being abandoned at the last moment by her best friend. Along the way, she meets and falls in love with thru hiker, Sam, who is trying to outrun
Elisabeth
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-books
After reading this lovely travel novel, I want to plan my own Appalachian trail. Beautiful details, a little bit of humor and lots of pure love. This might be my new favorite traveling book.
Abby
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!
Okay, where do I start with this book? I won't mark spoilers because I'm not giving specifics but I have a couple things to touch on. The story started off really nicely first of all. A smart independent girl going off to hike the Appalachian trail alone! Then it really just falls apart when she meets the boy. Everything the author describes this girl as becomes false as soon as this boy is introduced. I really loved the main character too, but to watch her make some of the horrible ch
  • Exit Stage Left
  • Don't Fail Me Now
  • Juniors
  • A Step Toward Falling
  • The Tenderness of Thieves
  • Rules for 50/50 Chances
  • A Million Miles Away
  • The Law of Loving Others
  • Vivian Apple Needs a Miracle (Vivian Apple, #2)
  • Another Little Piece of My Heart
  • Placebo Junkies
  • Out of Nowhere
  • The Winter Place
  • Love Is...
  • Very in Pieces
  • The Emperor of Any Place
  • Don't Ever Change
  • Invincible (Invincible, #1)
Marina Gessner is the pen name of Nina de Gramont. Nina is a writer, teacher, and mom, not necessarily in that order. Her work has appeared in Redbook, Harvard Review, Nerve, and Seventeen. She lives in North Carolina with her husband and daughter.