Start by marking “My Night in the Planetarium” as Want to Read:
My Night in the Planetarium

My Night in the Planetarium

“When I was seven, I got to spend the night in a planetarium.”

Indonesia, 1977. The true story of a child, a play, and the art of resistance.

From the author and illustrator of A is for Activist and Counting on Community. This time, Innosanto Nagara tells a true story from his childhood in Indonesia. It is a child’s view of a particular place and time—but it is also an intro
Published October 4th 2016 by Triangle Square

To ask other readers questions about My Night in the Planetarium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Night in the Planetarium

Start your review of My Night in the Planetarium
Elizabeth
Okay, this book I liked a lot.

An honest, child-accessible, story of Indonesian history -- and I really like the illustrations.

And how can you not love stuff like, "After the revolution we all lived happily ever after. The End. // No, not really. This is a true story, so things are more complicated than that."

And there are even these great moments in the Epilogue -- "Everyone thought I was going to grow up to be an actor. But I decided I wanted to study biology. And now I'm an activist and a grap
Shannon
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great introduction for kids to ideas about the fallout from colonialism, dictatorship, and the power of literature and art in protest. As the author says in the notes in the back, some of the story may be a little scary for kids, but overall he is able to present what happened without too many terrifying details. Covering topics like dictators and overthrowing unjust governments in a way that is suitable for children can be tricky, but Innosanto Nagara does a wonderful job.
Earl
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
From the author of A is for Activist and Counting on Community, Innosanto Nagara shares a story from his childhood. His dad puts on plays that provide social commentary on the political landscape which sometimes gets him in trouble. This shows how important the arts are and how we must speak out against injustice despite the consequences. Very timely.
Cathy Crea
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for helping children to understand nonviolent resistance through the arts--something that might seem too difficult for children to understand, but this book hits it spot on. A very important book for difficult political climates.
Erica
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jessie
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The tone of this is really casual; it's pretty clearly talking directly to an audience of kids.

The book starts with a brief overview of Indonesia and Indonesian history and then focuses on 1977 and the author's family's involvement in activism against General Suharto.

I loved the art style; it was bold, colorful, and clear.
Mahasin
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, a story that might be a little scary for very young children but is a great way to introduce children into who adults can be activists around them and involve them at a young age.
Marcia
A personal story from the 1977 Indonesian revolution. Ideas and places my students are not familiar with, so this will be a good addition to the collection.
Heidi
Bold illustrations perfectly complement this picture book memoir. The discussion of colonialism is one not often found in books for children.
Jaime
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a true story. It was interesting to hear what protesting and resistance look like in the eyes of a child. Great book about standing by your convictions.
Stefanie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful art and a great story. I wish there had been children's books like this when I was a kid.
Susan

• Imaginary Borders
  • Can I Touch Your Hair?: Poems of Race, Mistakes, and Friendship
  • The Bell Rang
  • Happy Hair
Innosanto Nagara is originally from Indonesia, but moved to the US in 1988 to study zoology and philosophy at UC Davis. Upon graduation, he moved to the San Francisco Bay Area, where he worked as a graphic designer for a range of social change organizations, before founding the Design Action Collective, a worker-owned cooperative design studio in Oakland, California, that is dedicated to "serving ...more

News & Interviews