Start by marking “Bordersnakes” as Want to Read:
Bordersnakes

Bordersnakes

(Milo Milodragovitch #3)

C.W. Sughrue has been gut-shot and left to die and is, for the first time in his life, actually scared--which makes him angry. Milo Milodragovitch has been robbed of his three-million dollar inheritance by a pipsqueak banker and a butch lady poet; he's not scared at all, just pissed. In a spiffy suit and a red Cadillac, Milo trails his thieves to the Mexican border, where ...more
Published July 12th 2016 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Bordersnakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bordersnakes

Thomas Todd
This is my first James Crumley offering I've read. I will now need to read his earlier novels as I really enjoyed Bordersnakes. In this novel Crumley takes his characters, Milo and Sughrue, from earlier individual works and combines them in this novel. I felt myself waking up hungover after reading this book as an extraordinary amount of alcohol is consumed by these two, along with ample amounts of marijuana smoked and plenty of "primo" cocaine injested. But there was a good storyline to accompa ...more
Oscar Walsh
whoever said this guy writes like an angel on speed was wrong
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hairy-eyeball
This one gets so over the top in its violence and vice that it almost turns into a satire of the blood 'n guts romance that guys over 50 really go for. As for a plot, there isn't one as much as a series of drinking, fighting and screwing episodes in the name of vengeance. Someone stole Milo's inheritance and someone left Sughrue gut-shot and left to die in the desert. The two detectives team up and go after the mofos responsible. Heads explode, guts explode, coke is snorted, tequila is consumed, ...more
Adam
Crumley takes his two favorite detective creations on a gonzo adventure, roadtrip, and revenge quest. Milo and Sughrue in car filled with cocaine and firearms travel the American West with the spirits of Chandler, Peckinpah, Hunter S Thompson, and Warren Zevon as guides and a soundtrack by Ely, Cowboy Junkies, Waits, Zevon, and Patsy Cline. Ridiculous, comic and brutally violent this is the book he probably meant to write with Mexican Tree Duck.
Tom Vater
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bordersnakes by James Crumley, published in 1996 and this crime writer’s last novel, is all about bad men in a hostile world – a novel so macho and hard-boiled you will need to use your brains like a razor on a mirror to be able to snort up the insides of this crystalline, sick, turbo-paced ride through Texas.

Two out of control private eyes in search of money and revenge cruise through this beautifully written, vomit-inducing thriller, sliding from one unsavory moment of sex, drugs and ultra-vio
Chris
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-texas
More like 2.5 stars. Crumley writes in the so called “hardboiled” crime genre. I found it too over the top at times with the macho testosterone fueled violence, drinking, and drugs. The plot stretched the limits of credulity at times as well. The love and hate bromance between the two protagonists got old too quickly for me. It tries to be too cute and witty.

So we have two guys (Milo and Sughrue) who have been on both sides of the law and are now seeking vengeance and also a stolen inheritance.
John of Canada
I enjoy revenge stories,but this was almost too much.Lots of killing,mutilating,drug and alcohol overdose,fighting...Crumley was a really good writer and the dialogue was entertaining.I have cancelled my trip to west Texas.
Jake
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
James Crumley made his bones with his novel The Last Good Kiss. In between the publication of that and the publication of this, he wrote one Milo and one Shugrue book respectively over the course of 18 years. Aside from a short story collection, that’s it.

I don’t know Crumley’s deal; I’ve only read a couple of interviews he’s done but my guess is he caught lightening in a bottle with TLGK and knew he couldn’t write it again, though he wanted to. He must’ve gotten to a point where he just said Sc
Luca Lesi
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Succede qualcosa quando si tocca il fondo roccioso della propria esistenza. Dalla melma viene a formarsi una certa chiarezza di vedute. La quale poi emerge e risorge, forse come la vita stessa.
description
Bordersnakes è un altro grande romanzo hard boiled di James Crumley, che vede insieme Milo Milodragovich e C.W. Sughrue, i due amici cinquantenni (protagonisti singoli di altri romanzi) alla ricerca della propria giustizia perché chiunque decide che la vendetta è una roba brutta non ha mai perduto nulla d'
Andrea P
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perchè 5 le dai a "L'ultimo vero bacio" e nulla, tra quanto scritto da Crumley, lo eguaglia. Ma è solo questione dogmatica.
Perchè il primato vacilla davanti a questa storia che vede spalla a spalla e colpo su colpo (e che colpi, C. W. Sughrue e Milo Milodragovitch, i due self-distructive protagonisti dei suoi romanzi.
E non sai se ti coinvolge di più (pericolosamente) quello che fanno o quello che dicono.
Ma non è che importi poi tanto capirlo.
Charles
Way over the top. Well-written as are all Crumley books, but I found this one less enjoyable. Read the all-time classic "The Last Good Kiss" instead.
Kurt Kaletka
This was an entertaining detective novel. It was written in 1996, and set in 1996. It features former cop Milo Milodragovitch and desert-rat hippie Sonny Sughrue, two private investigators who reunite after a long time to work on a case that turns out to be two cases. Milo is looking for the corrupt banker who stole his multimillion-dollar inheritance through computer-abetted bank fraud, and Sonny wants to track down the guy who tried to kill him some years ago.

Milo drives around in his new dark
Ben Horne
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
So I went back to the watering hole with another hard-boiled novel from Crumley. This is Crumley’s detectives’ first joint outing. It finds the two on a desperate quest of redemption. Milo is found forsaking a hard-fought sobriety after his $3 million inheritance vanishes from him. C.W is searching for extended revenge for his own near-murder in a dive bar. The plot that ensues is remarkable in craziness. The characters are in abundance and Crumley writes the hell out of them.

Crumley's message
A.B. Patterson
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Crumley's work, and this was no exception. Great characterisation and some wonderful prose, along with the dark and seedy side of life you'd expect. I would, as I have with every other Crumbly I've read, have given it five stars, but for two factors. The first was the bringing together of his two protagonists in the one novel - it diluted the force of the characters for me. The second issue was the switching between narration in the past and present tenses, depending on which protagonist ...more
David C Ward
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better on the border - including a deft eviscertion of American geo politics and the war on drugs - than Winslow’s bloated The Border. It’s a novel, not a tract. That said it is also kind of a throwback trip to the early writings of people like McGuane, Harrison, and Hunter Thompson - and Crumly himself since he got his start in the 70s too. I liked it but I bet I would have liked it more in my 20s. A time warp homage to guys on a road trip, getting revenge, doing drugs, drinking, screwing, ...more
Jason Horton
Beesley
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was rollicking good fun. The plot was nearly incomprehensible, but no more so than, say, "The Big Sleep." I read Crumley for the experience of going on an adventure with characters like Milo and Sughrue, seeing the world through their eyes, and hearing Crumley's incomparable voice. Not for plot.
Andrew Boylan
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book that is chalk full of great lines. The story doesn’t matter much. It’s just a sordid tale of drugs and vengeance and bad decisions that will assail readers with endless quips. It’s a beauty!
Carl
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the great all time books. Has everything I want.
Pam
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
whoa... not my normal fare but you know, it GOT me right into it! Not sure how soon I'll read another but Crumley takes you 'there' if you want to go.
Rodger
Crumley novels are colorful, jam-packed with interesting characters and unusual plots. This story has almost too many characters, plot twists, and coincidences. Also, lots of drinking and drugs.
Jim Nesbitt
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another dead Texan, Crumley is still a vastly underappreciated talent whose detective novels are laced with drugs, sex, booze and violence, all ladled out in unblinking and graphic detail. His rich, seedy and wild novels had a profound impact on my own writing, showing me it was a mighty fine thing to let my stories rip and describe sex and violence without the use of euphemism that insults the reader’s intelligence. His two main characters, private investigators Milo Milodragovitch and C.W. Sug ...more
Linda Kelley
Apr 21, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Once I find a good author, I tend to check out all his/her books and read them one right after the other. I love the way this guy puts words together...."His large brown eyes, as melancholy as prunes in Cream of Wheat...." Chuckled over that one. Looking forward to reading "The Muddy Fork and Other Things."
James
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Came across this jewel while suffering through a family get together. Dark, humorous and just what I needed to take my mind off family drama. I look forward to checking out Crumley's other work. Too bad there is not much of it out there!
James
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crumley's two detectives, Milo Milodragovich and C.W. Sughrue, join forces to work the same case. Not as good or as tightly focused as the previous Sughrue novels, this still has the Crumley touch in good supply.
Robert
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a while you just read Crumley for the wonderful way the man had with words; the violence doubles and the plot turns back on itself more times than we care, as both Sugrue and Milo go about their business.
Ron Perkowski
A cathartic Crumley, although perhaps trying to hard early and not acheiving his usually climatic climax. this book is clearly deserving, like most of his work, of a closer read than I was willing to give it.
John Acy Reinhart
Not every reader with its over the top violence, but I like its edginess.
Mitchell Logan
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done, the style might not be for everyone, but if it's the type you are looking for rest assured the execution is flawless.
J. Hopper
Nov 16, 2014

• Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant, #1, #2, #3)
  • I Was Dora Suarez
  • Two-Way Split
  • The Ones You Do
  • Brotherly Love
  • A Hall of Mirrors
  • The Deputy
  • Do They Know I'm Running?
  • The Barbarous Coast
  • Wake Up Dead (Cape Town #2)
  • Dead Boys: Stories
  • The Sweet Forever
  • Three to Kill
James Arthur Crumley was the author of violent hardboiled crime novels and several volumes of short stories and essays, as well as published and unpublished screenplays. He has been described as "one of modern crime writing's best practitioners", who was "a patron saint of the post-Vietnam private eye novel"and a cross between Raymond Chandler and Hunter S. Thompson.His book The Last Good Kiss has ...more

Milo Milodragovitch (4 books)
  • The Wrong Case
  • Dancing Bear (Milo Milodragovitch #2)
  • The Final Country (Milo Milodragovitch #4)