Start by marking “Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea (A Narwhal and Jelly, #1)” as Want to Read:
Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea  (A Narwhal and Jelly, #1)

Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea

(A Narwhal and Jelly Book #1)

Narwhal is a happy-go-lucky narwhal. Jelly is a no-nonsense jellyfish. The two might not have a lot in common, but they do they love waffles, parties and adventures. Join Narwhal and Jelly as they discover the whole wide ocean together.
Published October 4th 2016 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Narwhal, please sign up.
Katie There are 3 other books according to Goodreads.

Start your review of Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea (A Narwhal and Jelly, #1)
karen
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, kiddiwinx
 photo IMG_1814_zpsgd7o3dif.jpg

if i'm being honest, this doesn't really stand up to my other five star ratings, even my five star ratings specific to other children's picture books.

but sometimes it's just about what you need at a particular time, and this book brought a goofy smile to my face when i really really needed it.

i mean, look at that - how can you be anything but charmed by that face?

photo IMG_1813_zps5hlm4zy9.jpg

the answer is - you cannot, sir.

this is just a cute book about a narwhal and a jellyfish who are friends.

or, rather, who become
Lola
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is impossible *not* to smile when you read this book.

Narwhal, the happy-go-lucky unicorn of the sea, becomes friends with Jelly, the blue jellyfish of the sea, who is not so happy-go-lucky, but that's why they make such a great pair. They balance each other out!

This short graphic novel is so adorable and heart-warming that it's perfect for anyone – whether a child or an adult – who wants a little bit of cuteness in their day.

But there are so many ''cute'' books out there, so why should you
Philip
4ish stars.

This falls in the awkward stage somewhere between K-2 picture book and grade 3-5 graphic novel. I'm sure there's a market for 2nd and 3rd graders specifically, a la Binky the Space Cat. I'm just always interested to see how these books actually sell.

But I digress. The point is, this book is o-fish-ally pretty adorable. I kind of love it. Who knew that narwhals could live to be 90?! Not me! Fun, appropriately cartoony illustrations, stories that I, as an adult, got a kick out of, and
Whispering Stories
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea! is the first book in a series about a Narwhal called Narwhal and his friend Jelly the Jellyfish, plus some of their other friends too. In this first book, we get to witness Narwhal and Jelly meeting for the first time.

Because neither of them has ever seen an animal like the other before they both think that the other is imaginary, therefore they try to make the other prove that they are real, it is very funny.

This
Calista
A Middle grade graphic novel on the younger side. This is a simple story with extreme cuteness.

This is Narwhal, unicorn of the Sea. She hangs out with Jellyfish who seems world wise. Narwhal has a positive outlook on life and see things different. This is a fun and entertaining little story I think kids will enjoy. The adults sure seem to love it too. I will read more of this.
Jon Nakapalau
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super cute!
Bradley
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Things I learned from Narwhal:

Jellyfish collect in Smacks.
Narwhals collect in Pods.

Podtastic!

And this might well be Baby's First Venture into Solipsism! Yay!

The book is cute and friendly but not overly overwhelming with message or buildup of story. I kinda expected something more cohesive, but at least we get to see a pod-dance and a watch the cuties eat WAFFLES!

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC!
Mischenko
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable! This is great for younger and older elementary children. It's written almost in comic format. Nice illustrations and a few little facts here and there. 4****
Melissa
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Silly, fun, and completely adorable.

My daughter and I read this together and had the best time! She proclaimed this was her new favorite book - and that makes me happy.

I received a free copy of the book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
MerryMeerkat
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Narwhat: Unicorn of the Sea
5 Stars, buy it

Netgalley review.
Great little children’s book on a Narwhal and a Jellyfish who doesn’t believe the Narwhal is real. There are some cute facts on the Narhwal and the Jellyfish so it’s also educational as well as being cute. I love the art! And the stories are really sweet. I definitely recommend this.
Alyisha
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is utter nonsense and I love it. Would a kid like it? I think so. Does that really matter to me right now? No...because it's got pictures of a narwhal eating waffles and reading books. I don't know if anything's ever been more "me" before - ever.
Sesana
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, children
Super cute, super silly, and super cheerful. The kind of book that just made me happy reading it. My niece, who's super into narwhal's at the moment, would absolutely love it.
Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

GUYS. Guys. This book. This adorable, beautiful, superbly cute book. When I picked this book up, I didn't know what to expect. The cover is adorable, but that's one thing. A graphic novel for children about a Narwhal? Okay. Bring it on. But, what I didn't realize, is how much pure and unabashed joy this small graphic novel would bring me. So much joy.

In the end, this book is a collection of three brief stories around
Maija
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've been looking forward to reading this books since I heard about it in January. I love that there are a few short stories and I wish I knew how the song went. I really liked the color scheme of blues and yellows and that the yellow denoted a bright happy time. My favorite story was, "Narwhal and the Best Book Ever".
Crowinator
Are Narwhal and Jelly the new Elephant and Piggie? I loved this - so simple, so sly, so quirky. And who doesn't want to eat waffles and fight crime?
La Coccinelle
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, comic
This book is a little weak for me. It's sort of halfway between a graphic novel and a comic collection. There are a few continuous stories, though they're a little short on plot. I guess the interaction between the narwhal and the jellyfish is sort of amusing at first... but I can't see how the gimmick can be sustained for any length of time; waffle jokes are only going to work for so long.

The pictures are really simple and not that exciting. I don't know... I guess I was just expecting
Malina Skrobosinski
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this with my six year old niece and it was a huge hit. What's not to love?

It's Awesomeness... like delicious waffles!
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
So I got this book from Netgalley and decided to read it to my five-year-old while we were waiting at the doctor's office. She absolutely loved it! I seriously chuckled a few times myself while reading it. She was cracking up about the waffle ninja. Anyways very cute book and def recommend.

THUMBS UP photo tumblr_lf3p0v1jf61qawc1p_zps423258f6.gif

ARC Provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Stephanie
Super-adorable, funny, and very sweet. I got this for my five-year-old, and now he is desperate for a toy Narwhal and a toy Jelly and allllll the other books in this series immediately!
Cheryl
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I've fallen under Clanton's spell. I know it's surprising that I like this, but omg it's so funny. And wise. And adorable. Jellyfish reminds me a fair bit of my 21 yo (youngest) son, especially some of his expressions. I bet boys, and girls, and stoners, and philosophical sophomores all love this.

Are you real? Prove it!
You can imagine anything....
Laura McLoughlin
Well this is adorable
Mehsi
This was definitely a fun, hilarious book. A great pick-me-up after a busy, tiring day! I saw there will be more books coming, I will be pre-ordering them as soon as I see them around.

This book is about a Narwhal who decides to travel and meets a jellyfish. Since neither of them has seen either Jellyfish or Narwhal they, hilariously, decide that they must be imaginary and thus become imaginary friends. Yes, I just laughed when they decided that. Oh, I never seen you around before, nor your kind,
Dov Zeller
Love this goofy little book about two friends who come from very different worlds, though the same ocean.

A simple and lovely start: "One day when Narwhal was out for a swim, he found himself in new waters."

Narwhal runs into a jellyfish and they each think the other is imaginary because who would think there was really a sea unicorn and a creature made of jelly?

Narwhal and Jelly, despite suspicions that the other is imaginary, become fast friends and, well...eat waffles.

And on the story
Abby Johnson
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a super cute, short graphic novel that is laugh-out-loud funny and a sure crowd pleaser. It's almost picture-book length, but the format is smaller and thicker than a typical picture book. I would hand this to kids who like silly graphic novels like Bink & Golly or Phoebe and her Unicorn and/or kids who like funny picture books like Barnacle is Bored, etc.
Jana
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is an absolutely adorable read for children and adults alike - I loved both Narwhal and Jellyfish as characters and the art was just so cute. This book comes out October 4.
Francesca
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this was the cutest thing I've ever read! The story is about a narwhal and a jellyfish who become best friends, and the drawings are amazing, colorful, and just adorable. It made me all happy and cozy inside, I would definitely recommend this.
Vikki VanSickle
Graphic novel early-reader featuring a narhwal? I think this is what they call a perfect storm. Funny, engaging and fact-filled for 6-9 year old set. Narwhal's pretty cute, but I have a soft spot for his new friend, Jelly. I cannot think of a kid who wouldn't love this.
Michele Knott
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is going to be a great graphic novel series for kids who enjoy Babymouse, Squish, Lunch Lady and Salem Hyde series.
Love meeting both Narwhal and Jelly. Looking forward to more!
Abigail
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-may-reading
Because some nights I just really need an adorable story like this. Colorful, joy-filled, friendship-centric, and with plenty of love for waffles. It's perfection.
Raina
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorable and fantastic - Clanton's from Tacoma!
We gave him the Books for Younger Readers Washington State Book Award for this one. :)

• Swing it, Sunny
  • Razzle Dazzle Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #4)
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Kristy's Great Idea
  • Our Hero (Babymouse, #2)
  • Kristy's Big Day
  • Real Friends (Real Friends, #1)
  • Odd Duck
  • Ghosts
  • Brave (Berrybrook Middle School, #2)
  • Be Prepared
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • Smile
  • Drama
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Positively Izzy
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
Ben Clanton is the author/illustrator of such books as Something Extraordinary, Rex Wrecks It!, Mo's Mustache, Vote for Me!, and The Table Sets Itself. When Ben isn't doodling up stories (and often when he is) he likes to cook, explore outdoors, and play basketball. Ben lives in Seattle, WA with his wife and goldendoodle pup. Find out more about Ben at www.benclanton.com.

A Narwhal and Jelly Book (4 books)
  • Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt (A Narwhal and Jelly, #2)
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly (A Narwhal and Jelly Book #3)
  • Narwhal's Otter Friend (A Narwhal and Jelly Book, #4)