Start by marking “EveryDayCook” as Want to Read:
EveryDayCook

EveryDayCook

My name is Alton Brown, and I wrote this book. It’s my first in a few years because I’ve been a little busy with TV stuff and interwebs stuff and live stage show stuff. Sure, I’ve been cooking, but it’s been mostly to feed myself and people in my immediate vicinity—which is really what a cook is supposed to do, right? Well, one day I was sitting around trying to organize m ...more
Published September 27th 2016 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about EveryDayCook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about EveryDayCook

G
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Probably not many people actually “read” a cookbook, right?

But when that book is by Alton Brown, you are doing yourself a disservice to simply look at the recipes. It’s funny, insightful, and fascinating. I’d expect nothing less from the creator of “Good Eats” the hands down best show ever on Food Network.

There are three major things to recommend this cookbook:

1. Almost every recipe comes with a brief description as to why he likes it or some history of the dish, which is fascinating reading on
Mischenko
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great cookbook by Alton Brown! It has a good mix of recipes, and a few healthy ones. All are easy recipes. Worth keeping in your kitchen!

5*****
Jan Polep
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two things I like in a cookbook...BIG pictures and selections that include something I might actually eat. Winner, winner...chicken piccata dinner. Oh, and a good index. I may even try fish sticks for the very first time. Seriously.
Melenia
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfic
This is not a beginners cookbook; however, it is highly entertaining. I did actually read it cover to cover and enjoyed myself, even though I will probably never cook or eat anything in it because I am a picky child.

There are a ton of great dishes and the pictures are amazing. All taken with an iPhone if I remember correctly.
Thom
May 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A lot of pictures, humor, and a dash of science behind these recipes. These were chosen by AB because they are his favorites, his go-to dishes. I may try a few of these, but many are outside my taste zone - not to mention the equipment requirements.
Dominika
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let's face it, you'd probably know whether you'd love this book just by looking at Alton Brown's sex face on the cover. The recipes in here are unique yet attainable (with a few exceptions that are more due to the equipment involved than the actual ingredients). Unlike a lot of Brown's other cookbooks, this is more personal and less instructional. The few recipes I've made have been good, although that's to be expected. There's also a very strong visual element to this book, with gorgeous photog ...more
Karen
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, library-book
Oh, Alton. I loved Good Eats and enjoy his Good Eats book series with all the science and hopped this would be some those lines. Sadly, this just want meant for me, which is fine. I didn't expect much from the recipes since I'm vegan so that was no real surprise. The thing that annoyed me though was that in the index, there is a list of the "vegetarian" recipes... Alton, beef broth and anchovies are NOT vegetarian. *sigh* While a vegetarian would know this and either skip the recipe or make an a ...more
Emma
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks
Although I am aware of, and actually admire, Alton Brown's eccentric and scientific approach to cooking I was mislead by the title of this cookbook. These recipes feature foods I can't imagine wanting to create daily, using recipes I can't imagine being able to locate regularly, using equipment I certainly don't want to clean daily.

I had a good laugh at the equipment featured, honestly. I have quite an arsenal of cooking gadgets but this was so extra. Some of the best ones: a 14 inch cast iron c
Janet Martin
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Brown's attitude toward food. It's obvious he likes to eat, and his recipes are always both accurate and easy to follow. My skill as a cook owes him some credit. This time there are a couple of things to say. One refers to an oyster po' boy. Of course the instructions for cooking the oysters are perfect, but after having eaten po' boys in southern Louisiana and Houston, I have to say that if you can't get the right bread, just forget the whole thing. The bread needs to be very crisp on th ...more
Kylara Jensen
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved reading the section on hardware especially but also pantry and methods. Alton Brown has such a good way of explaining things with a little fun snarky tongue in cheek thing going on.

As for browsing the recipes, there are some I want to try, some that sound good but also seem really intimidating and some that seem out of my taste-bud range or just plain unrealistic for me to ever do.

I mean, it's interesting that this book is called everyday cook, but in reality this is not a book f
Lynnie
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, library
I adore Alton Brown. He is, in fact, on the list of people I'd like to have a martini with (especially if he wants to make the appetizers!). His recipes are always solid & this collection is no exception. Some of these are recipes he's already shared- on line or on tv- but there are also plenty of new ideas to explore. He does use some less-than-common ingredients but nothing that seems to hard to get my hands on. I can't wait to try some of his ideas.
Violinknitter
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Several of these recipes have already become regular staples for me (Overnight Coconut Oats & My Big Fat Greek Salad), and there are a few others I really want a chance to try. (Especially the tomato soup, now that I have a pressure cooker!)
Amy Beth
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it. The recipes that I tried worked. I enjoy Alton's sense of humor.
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I can definitely see myself making a lot of these recipes!
Marie
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really love Alton Brown but I'm not really a great cook. So this is a bit over my head, but it's colorful and fun and a lot of interesting sounding recipes.
Andree Sanborn
A very exotic cookbook for us New Englanders. Many of the ingredients simply aren't available here (the Asian and Latin ones). But I've learned another method for cleaning my cast iron, have more spice mix recipes, a fish stick recipe (with a custard that acts as tartar sauce), plus other good things, like fried cheeseburger, blueberry cake, banana bread, and peanut butter cookie recipes. Also, pumpkin cheesecake and black beans and rice, both of which I have to adapt for homegrown ingredients t ...more
Tori Centanni
Funny, insightful... and this is a book full of recipes. I'm a huge fan of Alton Brown, and have been since Good Eats. My mom used to watch Food Network relentlessly, and my brothers and I despaired at how it was the only thing on our one television all day long. But then Good Eats arrived, and it was the one show my whole family loved.

I got to meet Alton at his signing and get this book signed (got a copy signed for my mom as well), and I'm excited to try the recipes within.
Carey
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful cookbook written in typical Alton style. Brown loves to give you the science behind how recipes work. Do you want to know what Alton has in his pantry? ...in his hardware (utensil) drawer? ...in his spice collection? ...at his bar? You can learn all this through wonderful pictures and descriptions. I can't wait to try his "My Big Fat Greek Chicken Salad", "Chicken Parmesan Balls", and "The Last Pizza Dough I'll ever Need"!
Alacrity17
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yes I read cookbooks, especially ones written by Alton Brown. I enjoyed this one a lot as it was filled some useful recipes and lots of funny commentary. My one quibble about this book is Alton comes across like a very grumpy old man in places and his "do this because I said so" humour wears thin in places. Otherwise, a great read.
Julie H.
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook-cooking
Alton Brown's Everyday Cook contains a good deal of wisdom, clever hacks and food prep shortcuts, as well as a good deal of humor. Oh, and there's even a salad here that contains chocolate! Seriously.

The book is arranged by meals, starting with Breakfast Carbonara (yum!). It likewise contains recipes and instruction for relatively uncomplicated desserts that you'd make on any given day such as blueberry pound cake in a Bundt pan and a riff on peach cobbler called peach "cobbles;" assorted salads
Rachel
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I checked this out from the library because I couldn't wait until Christmas/Birthday time. We ate from the book for about a week or so, here's what I thought:

No Can Tomato Soup and Grilled cheese, p 52-53 - I loved the method of cooking the tomato soup in the pressure cooker, but it wasn't my favorite taste wise. The grilled cheese was wonderful. My husband had fun grilling the sandwich.

Turkey Sliders, p 63 - delicious. Even my picky brother ate them.

Brussels sprouts with bacon, p 137 - amazi
Sara
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I've always enjoyed AB's TV presence, but his previous cookbooks have sometimes felt more like textbooks than practical manuals. And that had a place, but I am pleased he's come out with something more appealing to the eye and geared towards a more typical home cook. The photos in this book (shot by Mr Brown with his iphone) are beautiful and support the content nicely. The recipes, despite the title, are sometimes on the more complicated and/or whimsical side, but are generally approachable. Of ...more
Wanda Burquest
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I usually look through a cookbook, see the pictures, and stop and look at a few ingredients lists, but I don't read it. This cookbook I read, almost, every page of it. Some things were a little weird and wild for my family's taste, but I was pleasantly surprised how many things sound and look good and doable. I've been a fan of Alton Brown ever since I ran across Good Eats back in the late 80s, early 90s. My husband and I used to watch it together and enjoyed it greatly . We've brined our turkey ...more
Beckiezra
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The photographs are beautiful and Alton’s notes on recipes are fun. There’s a lot of variety (southern, Asian, Italian, comfort food...), but the organization is a bit questionable. It’s organized by time of day that he eats the things but there are desserts next to burgers next to drinks. I think this is a book for fans of Alton Brown more than for a random person looking for a cook book. There were a number of interesting recipes I’d like to try, but there were also many that were a bit comple ...more
Clinton Senior
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook-club
How to rate this book. The star rating doesn't reflect our feelings of the book. Recipes get 5 stars plus if we could give more. However how the book is formed gets about a two from us. Recipes switched back and forth from measurements (grams, ounces, and cups) of ingredients. Some recipes even had multiple ways of listing ingredient measurements. There was even confusion for one of our members on the difference of liquid grams vs. solid grams. But again all recipes were outstanding. Our club ma ...more
Chris
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Got it from the library.

Now I have to actually go out and buy it so I can keep it forever. It is interesting to see the personality in this book in comparison to the others. His organization is stellar.

Like few others, Alton can describe a recipe or technique in a way that I can almost taste the product through the page or screen. It wasn't always this way, but boy, has he developed a talent...he should do food entertainment for a living, or something.

Full disclosure, I'm a fanboy. I've seen al
Naomi
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
While there were several interesting looking recipes in this book, the book irritated me to no end. Measurements were inconsistent between European and American. Now, I have converted recipes frequently, but when I seek out an American released cookbook, I would expect this to already be done. In general, the recipes were appealing. There were several ingredients, particularly within the alcoholic drinks, that were unfamiliar to me and I wondered about their availability in the US. I think I wal ...more
Don Gillette
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect everyday cookbook. Alton Brown, although goofy, is certainly entertaining and his recipes are always tasty. Every book he's written and all of his television series are good for several tips you'll incorporate into your own kitchen and this one is no different. Infused oils was the big tip from this tome, but there are a lot more. Even the more complex dishes don't seem all that complicated when he explains them.
I've tried a couple of these and also used some of his ideas in other dishes
Teresa Dowd
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of AB, bored eaters who are single
Shelves: research
The color chatter is quite interesting, even when there are too many rare ingredients, extra stages, or the recipe calmly calls for extra monotaskers like a smoker for a fondue recipe.

I admit I am am far more imporessed when the recipes are more budget and pantry friendly. A lot of these recipes call for ingredients that are not staples and equipment than many homes just do not have the space or money for. The issuee, alluded to in the pizza dough recipe, is more common. These recipes are everyd
Julie
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Extremely fun book. The title is misleading-It may be every day if you are a chef, but some of the recipes and equipment needs are quite technical or specialized. However, most are quite doable.
I haven't tried any of these yet, as I got the book at the library, and I have to return it. But the chicken parm meatballs look great, so I will have to try when I get the book.
The notes at beginning of each recipe are really fun, especially the Fish Sticks and Custard one, at least in my house.
  • Big Bad Breakfast: The Most Important Book of the Day
  • Grilled Cheese Kitchen: Bread + Cheese + Everything in Between
  • The Homemade Kitchen: Recipes for Cooking with Pleasure
  • Eating in the Middle: A Mostly Wholesome Cookbook
  • Dorie's Cookies
  • The Tucci Cookbook
  • How to Bake Everything: Simple Recipes for the Best Baking
  • Marcus Off Duty: The Recipes I Cook at Home
  • Taste of Persia: A Cook's Travels Through Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, and Kurdistan
  • Sister Pie: The Recipes and Stories of a Big-Hearted Bakery in Detroit
  • The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook: Every Recipe, Every Ingredient Testing, and Every Equipment Rating from the Hit TV Show
  • Deep Run Roots: Stories and Recipes from My Corner of the South
  • The Spice Companion: A Guide to the World of Spices
  • Layered: Baking, Building, and Styling Spectacular Cakes
  • Twelve Recipes
  • Joy the Baker Over Easy: Sweet and Savory Recipes for Leisurely Days
  • Josey Baker Bread: Get Baking - Make Awesome Bread - Share the Loaves
  • America—Farm to Table: Simple, Delicious Recipes Celebrating Local Farmers
Alton Brown is an American food personality, cinematographer, author, and actor. He is the creator and host of the Food Network television show Good Eats, the miniseries Feasting on Asphalt and the main commentator on Iron Chef America.
Brown received a degree in drama from the University of Georgia. He first worked in cinematography and film production, and was the director of photography on the m